• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 11 IOTI Rip out your beating heart!

Shang Tsung looks amazing. I can’t wait to play as him. My interest in this game is about to return when the Kombat Pack comes out.

JimmyJones

Banned
It’s a sad day when people are celebrating about paying for DLC that should have been in the game in the first place.

Cutting out major characters so they can sell them back to you is a shitty practice and fighting games are the worst for it.

JimmyJones

Banned
I too live in a dream world where games should include every character ever.

MK Trilogy had 32 characters, MK Armageddon had 62.

Their new business strategy is to add bland uninteresting newcomers(Geras, Kronika) and cut out the fan favourites so they can sell them back to you and act like they’re doing you a favour.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
MK Trilogy had 32 characters, MK Armageddon had 62.

Their new business strategy is to add bland uninteresting newcomers(Geras, Kronika) and cut out the fan favourites so they can sell them back to you and act like they’re doing you a favour.

Except Geras is pretty great and will likely return for future installments. He's already top tier in tournament play. Kronika is the first halfway decent villain since the OGs Shang Tsung and Shao Khan. Shinnok and Onaga were Grade A jobbers and Blaze was...lol. At least Kronika was a threat.

Plus your post doesn't even make sense since Kronika doesn't take up a slot.

giphy.gif

You're probably one of those people that liked those iconic PS2 era characters like Kobra and Dairou.

Nymphae

Banned
I too live in a dream world where games should include every character ever.

Or the 90's. Rosters are without a doubt worse than they were in the past, and imo it's entirely the fault of DLC. Pre DLC we had games like MvC2, and CvS2, 56 and 48 character rosters respectively, on the discs, and they were fucking sprites. (ok CvS2 wasn't the 90's but you get my point)

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
It’s a sad day when people are celebrating about paying for DLC that should have been in the game in the first place.

Cutting out major characters so they can sell them back to you is a shitty practice and fighting games are the worst for it.
If the DLC had minor characters like Hsu Hao and Kobra, no one would've bought it in the first place.

Or the 90's. Rosters are without a doubt worse than they were in the past, and imo it's entirely the fault of DLC. Pre DLC we had games like MvC2, and CvS2, 56 and 48 character rosters respectively, on the discs, and they were fucking sprites. (ok CvS2 wasn't the 90's but you get my point)
75% of MvC2's roster was entirely taken from previous Capcom games (X-Men CotA, MSH, SF vs X-Men, SF vs MSH). MK11 was done from the ground up and had ten times the content MvC2 and the other vs games of Capcom had. How in the flying fuck can you compare MvC2 to MK11 with a straight face and consider MK11 a bigger rip-off than MvC2?

Nymphae

Banned
75% of MvC2's roster was entirely taken from previous Capcom games (X-Men CotA, MSH, SF vs X-Men, SF vs MSH).

So? It was a huge roster. I like games with huge rosters where I'm not being nickel and dimed for additional content. Fighters don't do that as much anymore and it sucks. You are now always required to spend more than the initial asking price for any fighter if you want the full roster at the end of the game's life cycle. Is this better than having to buy a new version of SF 2 or 3 every few years for balance changes and addition characters? I don't know, to me it feels scummier.

MK11 was done from the ground up and had ten times the content MvC2 and the other vs games of Capcom had. How in the flying fuck can you compare MvC2 to MK11 with a straight face and consider MK11 a bigger rip-off than MvC2?

That's great, I'm enjoying it so far and I'm not really feeling ripped off by the MK11 roster personally, it's decent enough for me. I was more speaking to your remark about "a dream world where games should include every character ever.", and that we used to get more games that felt like they were trying to do that right out of the gate.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
So? It was a huge roster. I like games with huge rosters where I'm not being nickel and dimed for additional content. Fighters don't do that as much anymore and it sucks. You are now always required to spend more than the initial asking price for any fighter if you want the full roster at the end of the game's life cycle. Is this better than having to buy a new version of SF 2 or 3 every few years for balance changes and addition characters? I don't know, to me it feels scummier.

This makes no sense at all in my mind. You're not ok paying more for DLC characters and expanding the roster, but you were ok forking over 50$ to pay for a game which basically had its entire roster copy-pasted from previous games and basically charged you that much for 5-6 new characters. I don't get it. But hey, if you were cool with that ...

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Question is, is this game better than Injustice 2?

I'd say they are way too different. DC characters and MK characters. Apples and oranges. I enjoy the Krypt, Towers, and the story mode more than Injustice 2. Im also a bigger MK fan. Injustice 2 has quite a bit of content though. I liked Injustice 2 a lot, but Id pick MK11 over I2.

I kinda wish they would have waited to announce the DLC. I got the Premium Edition. I love the characters they've announced. Shang Tsung has his MK3 moves with the fireballs coming from the ground up.

These aren't exactly arcade games anymore, so the additional cast being original and/or new members has been a standard lately. It's so far removed from the arcade and/or the GC/Xbox/PS2 versions. I'm actually more excited about those classic costumes.

Nymphae

Banned
This makes no sense at all in my mind. You're not ok paying more for DLC characters and expanding the roster, but you were ok forking over 50$ to pay for a game which basically had its entire roster copy-pasted from previous games and basically charged you that much for 5-6 new characters. I don't get it. But hey, if you were cool with that ...

I just said it feels scummier, I don't know. Ultimately, yeah, you probably do spend less with this approach, although it's not like MvC2 or CvS2 had multiple versions. I just feel like DLC has made it so that no one will ever again attempt a roster of that size in an initial release.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Holy shit, that Shang Tsung trailer got me more hyped than the reveal trailer.

Must be the movie reference haha

Nymphae

Banned
I'm a few chapters into the story mode, I cannot get over how weird Sonya and Cassie's faces look. Why is is so fucking hard to model an attractive female face in a videogame?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm a few chapters into the story mode, I cannot get over how weird Sonya and Cassie's faces look. Why is is so fucking hard to model an attractive female face in a videogame?

All the women were modeled after real women. Kitana, Jade and most of the others are BEAUTIFUL in real life!

Edit: I said most because I don't know what the Frost and Kronika models look like IRL

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Can anyone help me unlock Shao Kahn announcer (I can provide my save files)? I so fucking hate these goddamn strategic tutorials and one step away from throwing my controller at my monitor.

giphy.gif

I mean, what in the fucking fuck, NetherRealm?! Who even need this POS in MK game which was never NEVER about perfect frame times and other absolutely needless shit! It always was a simple fighting game with zero needless BS and which you could just relax, grab a beer, play and have fun.

Last edited:
Can anyone help me unlock Shao Kahn announcer (I can provide my save files)? I so fucking hate these goddamn strategic tutorials and one step away from throwing my controller at my monitor.

giphy.gif

I mean, what in the fucking fuck, NetherRealm?! Who even need this POS in MK game which was never NEVER about perfect frame times and other absolutely needless shit! It always was a simple fighting game with zero needless BS and which you could just relax, grab a beer, play and have fun.

Just go to Options and link your game to Mortal Kombat Mobile. Install MK Mobile on your phone and go to Options to get your code which you can then use to link your game to your console/PC.

Is this true that the best fighter in this game are : Sonya, Geras, Scorpion, Noob Saibot and Erron Black ?

Yeah more or less the general top tier of the current meta, though you might replace one of the ninjas with maybe Jacqui. Sonya, Geras and Erron are stupid good right now though.

Last edited:
I can’t wait for the first DLC pack. Shang Tsung looks incredible. I really like what they are doing with him. Getting the original actor from the first MK movie was a great idea.

Yep. Unfortunately Sub-Zero's gameplay has changed quite a lot compared to X.

I never played him in X but he's really good in 11, especially with his 50/50s. I hope they don't super nerf him because he's fun cheap.

Im trying to utilize and master Johny Cage to the max

How do you think im gona fare at online matches?

He's very fun but he has deficiencies which can make him a struggle character at times. Like all his krushing blows are so shitty he might as well not have any beyond the universal uppercut and the majority of his strings are high, so you will eat lots of bs from d2 happy people among other shit. People can basically down block Johnny all day and he has no overheads beyond the universal one, so you end up needing to condition them.

If any basic tips, use his first(?) tournament variation - Mime Time, Brass Knuckles, Caged Rage(Or something similar if you're playing custom casual) as his other is worthless garbage. B3,4 and f4 are your only non-high combo starters (b3,4 hitbox can be a little weird). d4 is a good poke and jails into f3. d1 can seemingly jail into st.2, which means you can usually get any random d1 into st.2,4,4 into nutpunch or whatever. Nutpunch itself is a good 50/50 when landed as they have to either guess if you're going to throw or d1(or d4 or whatever) into a second nutpunch. Johnny's throw game is also really strong and he's a character you're encouraged to throw a lot with. His straight forceball is very good for zoning or spacing your way in.

That's like super basic stuff though. You'll have to go to like TYM character forums or video guides for any serious tech or strategies. =P

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Just go to Options and link your game to Mortal Kombat Mobile. Install MK Mobile on your phone and go to Options to get your code which you can then use to link your game to your console/PC.
What's the point in doing that If I need Shao Kahn announcer voice? If you'll link Mobile to PC you'll only get Kronika announcer voice (which I already have).

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I like Sub-Zero. One thing I miss the most are the ice clones and sliding people into them like in MKX. The slide into an attack string makes up for it IMO. I really like his slide into a weapon combo.

Last edited:
I really dont understand the joke to "censor" it in the first place. It reminded me of Sub-Zero fatality in MK3 where the screen just went black... supposedly doing a fatality so gruesome it was not supposed to be shown.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I think im gonna pass on the season pass and just buy either terminator or ash for the $5 or whatever :)

Top Bottom