• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 11 review bombed because of ‘SJW propaganda’ and micro-transactions

Shin

Banned
Mortal Kombat 11 is the latest victim of review bombing on MetaCritic – a practice where a flood of users give a game the lowest score possible as a means to protest something about it. Mortal Kombat 11 review bombers have offered a number of reasons for why they are rating the game so low, and they range from political reasons to complaints about the game’s microtransactions.

Right now, Mortal Kombat 11 has an abysmal 2.9 score on MetaCritic. Most users are giving Mortal Kombat 11 scores of 1 and 0, with many citing “SJW propaganda” and the game’s “political agenda.” They seem to mostly be referring to the Jax Tower ending
, where he decides to use time travel to eradicate slavery in the world.
“Also pushing you [sic] personal political agenda with certain tower endings is just disgusting,” said user LittleEmber. “Once again the sjw propaganda destroyed a game. Stop making everything political,” said sylar50. Other complaints about “SJW propaganda” seem to be aimed at the women’s clothing in Mortal Kombat 11, as female characters like Jade wear less-revealing outfits in the new game.

There are two other reasons that commonly appear in reviews by Mortal Kombat 11review bombers. One is the game’s use of microtransactions and its excessive grind. Mortal Kombat 11‘s grind has been complained about by professional reviewers as well, as some feel it’s purposefully unrewarding as a way to get people to purchase microtransactions. NetherRealm Studios has responded to these complaints, and it has said that it will be re-balancing MK11‘s grind and progression rewards in the future.

The second often-cited reason for the Mortal Kombat 11 review bomb is the game’s lack of fan favorite characters. NetherRealm decided not to include Mileena, Reptile, Smoke, and some other characters that fans were looking forward to in Mortal Kombat 11. Some took even greater offense to the lack of Mileena in Mortal Kombat 11 when it became apparent that her move-set had been given to Kitana instead.

a3c659cdec.png
86e845de19.png
f7889c1742.png

Credit: GameRant
Source: Metacritic

Last edited:

Thurible

Review bombing is kind of a jerk move. I dislike SJW stuff like the next guy, but unless it is so forced down your throat that it legitmately effects the quality of game you shouldn't hate it and especially try to destroy its reputation. It is all about if you enjoy the game or not.

Hmm. Is this the first game to really bomb due to an 'SJW' backlash? I know ME:Andromeda tanked, but didn't they blame the issues on people blaming SJW features?

Is this the first mechanically sound game, that looks good that has lost points solely because of a perceived narrative? :unsure:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't understand the concept of review bombing to protest. Why not just do regular protest? I mean, does anybody look at an 83 on metacritic and then look at the 2.9 and say, "Holy chit I need to stay away from this game"? I don't wanna generalize...and I won't, but let's just take GAF as an example.

Please identify yourself if you consider yourself a SJW. It's not to berate you. I just have some questions.

I'll wait.

Last edited:

xGreir

A bit EXTREME? Maybe.

A logical response? Yeah.

It can be a bit excessive, but without impact, there isn't movement. And of course, everyone is free to vote whatever they want, it is what it is.

People feels repulse about political agendas (more o less) in their favorite games, microtransactions, and grinding/Playables characters affected by these two, then.... I can only agree with them.

Videogame aren't only to pursue money, they can't throw something disgusting in the game to their playerbase just bcs "is just an ending and some characters erased"

I don't understand the concept of review bombing to protest. Why not just do regular protest? I mean, does anybody look at an 83 on metacritic and then look at the 2.9 and say, "Holy chit I need to stay away from this game"? I don't wanna generalize...and I won't, but let's just take GAF as an example.

Please identify yourself if you consider yourself a SJW. It's not to berate you. I just have some questions.

I'll wait.

Way of thinking that damaging the reputation is more effective, I think. Though may it's not the most effective method, it can brings some disscussion.

Last edited:

Verdanth

Transforming your game to appeal to specific masses because it's the trend now will always leave the other half unsatisfied, especially when you have an historic franchise like this at hands.

The game it's good, no doubt about that, but decision wise, it's a mess., like many others out there.

Last edited:
That's cos ME:A legitimately sucked.

Yeah it did and EA/Bioware tried blaming the low scores on people hating it because of SJW agendas. Whereas MK11 seems like a good game graphically and mechanically. Yet it is being marked down due to SJW agendas. Is this the first game that is being marked down ONLY because of the SJW agenda? Is an SJW agenda now a turn-off in games?

Cactuarman

Banned

I'll wait.

Do people call themselves SJWs? I consider myself a feminist. I've been called an SJW but I don't think I'd ever call myself one or identify as such.

kiiltz

Yeah it did and EA/Bioware tried blaming the low scores on people hating it because of SJW agendas. Whereas MK11 seems like a good game graphically and mechanically. Yet it is being marked down due to SJW agendas. Is this the first game that is being marked down ONLY because of the SJW agenda? Is an SJW agenda now a turn-off in games?

Oh, I read you're original post wrong, my bad. I'm dyslexic apparently.

Saber

Gold Member
I dont think people give much of importance to user score nowadays. Unless its out of convenience.

But one thing I know for sure...Resetera gonna be very triggered to read those comments.

It's being lambasted and rightfully so, the character design is basically perpetuation of the logic behind Sharia Law when it comes to what's acceptable for men and women. Women must be covered and appear presentable while men can wear whatever they want.

It's not in your interest as a developer to pander to political extremism and minority ideals and then attempt to sell your game to people at large who won't agree with your decisions.

I just can't help but feel like a lot of people who are first to criticize "outrage" culture are, in fact, outraged themselves.

Although in this case the MTX and "SJW angle" are very different beasts altogether.

I love when people complain about a topic calling it outrage, most of the time its just passive talking. People always look at things to one extreme or another.

As far as the MTX, its pitiful that they alter the game to push more MTX. You can feel the difficulty spikes in the Towers of Time, I've been able to complete what I started but you can literally tell when the NPC goes into punish mode there isn't much you can do. The Store already having crystals for sale shows what they want.

The SJW angle. I guess I can see the hypocrisy. Saying it isn't a "Bikini Fighter" and it would be unrealistic for girls to be in skimpy clothes. But its MK. A game where you can take a blade into the brain and live, or rip people apart in comical ways. I don't see a problem with sexy outfits, it is escapism after all. But I also don't have much of a problem with they way they are dressed now. I guess its more irritating to hear lame explanations of why they did it.

I don't understand the concept of review bombing to protest. Why not just do regular protest?
Because gamers have their voices systematically taken away from them by corporate interests and “game journalism”. Social media is no longer a viable place to air grievances since shills will be upvoted or you will get lumped in with racists who also hate it - try having an opinion on how the girls dress in MK11 over on ResetEra or on Twitter or Reddit...

Review bombing is quite possibly the only place where gamers can voice their displeasure because even if nobody reads the individual reviews, the sheer magnitude of the outrage can be felt in aggregation. The backlash against The Last Jedi was ONLY felt in the user ratings because people were otherwise so effectively being silenced. Critics were banned from /r/StarWars, YouTube videos had DMCA strikes or had other YouTube videos made calling them racist... but the user reviews. They tried to say it was being review bombed by a coordinated white supremacist attack, but there were SO many bad reviews that there’s no way it was the work of a handful of racists.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I don’t understand the purpose of anonymous user reviews. If you don’t want people to abuse them on the internet then don’t have them.

Dont give a shit for any company with mass products who are trying to squash free speech online. IMO the whole outrage about trolls is a way for future internet legislation that lets these giant companies dictate how everyone is allowed to discuss their products. Right now it’s “yay we deplatformed an alt righter” but in the future it’s going to be Disney etc getting you 30 days banned from the internet bc you said a bad thing about Marvel film #53

Last edited:
I dont think people give much of importance to user score nowadays. Unless its out of convenience.

But one thing I know for sure...Resetera gonna be very triggered to read those comments.

As far as i'm concerned, it's the exact opposite. I've noticed a growing trend of consumers paying more attention to reviews written by consumers (specifically on Steam), by people who purchase the video game and give their opinion on it. Rather than professional reviewers, who are slowly becoming irrelevant and i'm not surprised because professional reviews have a proven habit, or should i say burden, to try and satisfy the publisher. So they write their review, and regardless of the content of that review, they slap a good score. Publishers look at that score, they look at Metacritic.

It's all relative of course, but in this case i can see the backlash as justified because mobile grind design is not a good thing in a game you payed 60 bucks or more for. Not wen in the entire history of video gaming this practice was never as prevalent as it is today.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I don't understand the concept of review bombing to protest. Why not just do regular protest? I mean, does anybody look at an 83 on metacritic and then look at the 2.9 and say, "Holy chit I need to stay away from this game"?

It all comes down to efficiency. Were there some sort of actual protest, it would be largely ignored - not only by big outlets like Reddit and Twitter but also by games media at large. It's one of the only ways gamers have left to have their voices heard, and even these tools are slowly being taken away by corporate interests. There are AAA devs who are reluctantly still releasing their games on Steam (which has a review system) but even Valve is bending to their whims as the recent bombing of Borderlands 2 can attest. Lots of devs are extremely happy with their Epic Games Store exclusivity deals not only for the extra guaranteed revenue, but also because that platform doesn't have a way for users to voice their concerns about the product to others. It's only a matter of time before something like Metacritic bows to corporate interests (aka $$$) or just gets outright purchased by a large media corporation.

The women are all covered basically from head to toe, there's no skimpy outfits, or revealing clothing. Not even ones which can be unlocked for character customization, men on the other hand can be made half naked.
Is that really censorship though if they weren't in the game in the first place? I really don't have a problem with skimpy clothes, but think you are a drawing a thin line there if that is supposed to be censorship. Stupid, yes it is. But not censorship.

Pejo

It's a little dishonest, but I can't say I'm against this. It's still a form of protest, one that actually has a chance to influence due to the nature of people looking at review scores as an indicator of quality.

I don't care so much that there are progressive ideas in the game in general, it's more the paradigm shift lately that looks like this:

-Company makes a game
-People like the game, build a community around it
-Company includes more things that the fans like
-Fans eat it up
-Company pivots on current social trends changes things about the game
-Fans react badly to this change
-Company turns on fans and insults/down talks them

I'm sick of this kind of stuff.

odhin

The justification for having female characters covered (while men parade their man boobs everywhere) was worse than Jax's Wokanda in my opinion.

Yeah, such a retarded decision.

Is MK what, a 30 year old franchise? Its OK to change character looks as times go by but not this drastic just for bullshit reasons. Also, if there is a game series that should be as faraway as possible to being associated with any kind of censorship its Mortal Kombat ffs.

guys, if this makes you unhappy then DONT BUY THE GAME.

People buying the game and review bombing it cause they dont like that one part of it makes you a damn hypocrite. I know its hard to not buy something you like, but thats the only real way to send a message to these people. Your user review bombs aint doing shit.

Last edited:

PrCat88

There's so much to love about MK series, and I think these sprinkled politically driven decisions coupled with financially driven microtransactions have spurred a divide. A shame too because I know these developers are better than this. For what it's worth I loved Injustice 2, but also hated the microtransactions of that game and wish they'd stop.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I love when people complain about a topic calling it outrage, most of the time its just passive talking. People always look at things to one extreme or another.

As far as the MTX, its pitiful that they alter the game to push more MTX. You can feel the difficulty spikes in the Towers of Time, I've been able to complete what I started but you can literally tell when the NPC goes into punish mode there isn't much you can do. The Store already having crystals for sale shows what they want.

The SJW angle. I guess I can see the hypocrisy. Saying it isn't a "Bikini Fighter" and it would be unrealistic for girls to be in skimpy clothes. But its MK. A game where you can take a blade into the brain and live, or rip people apart in comical ways. I don't see a problem with sexy outfits, it is escapism after all. But I also don't have much of a problem with they way they are dressed now. I guess its more irritating to hear lame explanations of why they did it.
The bigger issues is that there are a lot of scantly clad men in the game. The double standard is hypocrisy. If its ok for men to show skin then why is it not ok for women?

Edit: Also, whomever decided to put Ronda Rousey in the game should be fired. She single handedly destroys a lot of the single player because she is probably the worst voice actor (and actual actor) ever.

Last edited:

Klayzer

I just can't help but feel like a lot of people who are first to criticize "outrage" culture are, in fact, outraged themselves.

Although in this case the MTX and "SJW angle" are very different beasts altogether.
They like to call their outrage "critical thinking" or some other bullshit lemming term.

JCK75

There are a lot of tiny, not on their own bothersome issues with the game that all add up to something that mildly annoys me, I'm unlikely to buy it until it's on a steam sale but review bombing is stupid.

Top Bottom