• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 11 review bombed because of ‘SJW propaganda’ and micro-transactions

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Maybe it's because the customers are fed up with it being included and they feel as though their voices aren't being represented in the industry's press coverage fairly. So, they review-bomb as a retaliatory measure to express their displeasure.

I mean... this all seems pretty obvious. Either listen to your customers or don't.

NickFire

No one should be reviewing this game unless they bought or played it. That is dishonest no matter what disclaimer is included because the score is aggregated. If they played it and got turned off by loot boxes by all means 1.0 it away. If they played it and got turned off by artistic direction that still seems hard to justify a 1.0, but everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess (but I still don't see how anyone can 1.0 it in good faith over politics). But if they are review bombing it just because they read or watched a video and disagree with the art direction, that is lame and petty. Vote with your wallet if you don't like what is offered and simply don't buy it. But don't try to hurt someone's business with fake reviews of something you never played or purchased. Not cool, not warranted, not justified.

No one should be reviewing this game unless they bought or played it. That is dishonest no matter what disclaimer is included because the score is aggregated. If they played it and got turned off by loot boxes by all means 1.0 it away. If they played it and got turned off by artistic direction that still seems hard to justify a 1.0, but everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess (but I still don't see how anyone can 1.0 it in good faith over politics). But if they are review bombing it just because they read or watched a video and disagree with the art direction, that is lame and petty. Vote with your wallet if you don't like what is offered and simply don't buy it. But don't try to hurt someone's business with fake reviews of something you never played or purchased. Not cool, not warranted, not justified.
You don't need to play the game or buy it to know female sexuality has been censored, you don't need to play the game or buy it to know the microtranaction system is flawed and unbalanced negatively impacting gameplay and progression.

What you're saying is about as intelligent as saying someone needs to play the game or own it to judge the graphics.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Too bad, so sad, I say. If you can’t make “enough money” in this era where most AAA games sell millions of copies for at least $60USD a pop, I have no sympathy for you. Find another career.

Video games aren’t a fucking charity. I don’t give a rat’s ass about “supporting the industry” or “the right causes”. The fact that greed is the “future of gaming” is exactly why I’m compelled to walk away when this gen ends instead of spending another $10,000+ on consoles and games over the course of a new console generation.

I’d love to see another video game crash. It’s the only way that the industry resets itself and shakes out of the this greedy pattern. I also know that’s not going to happen, because video game consumers and fans are far too willing to donate all of their cash and then some because they’ve been conditioned to do so like lemmings for the past 10+ years.

Video game consumers are the real problem here. Showing more backbone (like Battlefront II) instead of rolling over and taking it because “we’re fans and we need to support the devs!” might have changed the future before it happened. “There’s a sucker born every minute” was never more appropriate than when used to describe video game consumers.

Is this a meme post? LoL It sounds like a Jim Sterling parody, like you were brainwashed or something. I feel like games are better than ever so bye, go play your retro games.

NickFire

You don't need to play the game or buy it to know female sexuality has been censored, you don't need to play the game or buy it to know the microtranaction system is flawed and unbalanced negatively impacting gameplay and progression.

What you're saying is about as intelligent as saying someone needs to play the game or own it to judge the graphics.
Of course you don't. But you aren't reviewing a product if you have not played it. You are just making a political statement intending to hurt someone's livelihood instead, and that's bullshit (IMO). I don't condone when people review bomb conservative business owners' yelp pages, and this is no better. Just a bunch of grown up sized children trying to hurt something they are not actually patronizing because they disagree with someone else's politics. Sick and tired of this shit from all sides, and this is coming from someone with no qualms whatsoever about calling out stupid statements like the claimed justification for changing the clothing.

Reviews are supposed to give honest feedback. Not merely shit on someone's livelihood because the "reviewer" is not interested in the product. At least in my book.

Too bad, so sad, I say. If you can’t make “enough money” in this era where most AAA games sell millions of copies for at least $60USD a pop, I have no sympathy for you. Find another career.

Video games aren’t a fucking charity. I don’t give a rat’s ass about “supporting the industry” or “the right causes”. The fact that greed is the “future of gaming” is exactly why I’m compelled to walk away when this gen ends instead of spending another $10,000+ on consoles and games over the course of a new console generation.

I’d love to see another video game crash. It’s the only way that the industry resets itself and shakes out of the this greedy pattern. I also know that’s not going to happen, because video game consumers and fans are far too willing to donate all of their cash and then some because they’ve been conditioned to do so like lemmings for the past 10+ years.

Video game consumers are the real problem here. Showing more backbone (like Battlefront II) instead of rolling over and taking it because “we’re fans and we need to support the devs!” might have changed the future before it happened. “There’s a sucker born every minute” was never more appropriate than when used to describe video game consumers.
But MKX only sold 11 million, clearly the series is selling poorly and desperately needs money!

Hinedorf

Banned

When you talk about video game crash you're talking about the lifeblood of our industry, the people who work tirelessly to crunch out these games we love. You're talking about Fathers and Mothers who just like you work a job they likely love that will never reward them the way it should. And you want them all to suffer because you as a consumer think this is the right thing for everybody?

I'll continue to be the contrarian voice on MTX if this is the type of toxic bullshit people want to spout. I'm not even in favor of MTX, I'm in favor or keeping the hobby I love growing into something bigger and better.

I sincerely hope the sentiment towards whatever industry you work in isn't so negative.

I mean, what is there to argue? They made an ending for a fictional character. A bunch of losers decided to throw a tantrum over a videogame characters ending. It's pathetic. It's so incredibly cringe inducing.
So did you actually look up metacritic to see the actual reviews? At least 90% of the negative reviews, if not more, are just about the progression issues and tedious grind that is MK11's unlock system...... Even the lower reviews from the "professionals" are the same.....

Last edited:
Of course you don't. But you aren't reviewing a product if you have not played it. You are just making a political statement intending to hurt someone's livelihood instead, and that's bullshit (IMO). I don't condone when people review bomb conservative business owners' yelp pages, and this is no better. Just a bunch of grown up sized children trying to hurt something they are not actually patronizing because they disagree with someone else's politics. Sick and tired of this shit from all sides, and this is coming from someone with no qualms whatsoever about calling out stupid statements like the claimed justification for changing the clothing.

Reviews are supposed to give honest feedback. Not merely shit on someone's livelihood because the "reviewer" is not interested in the product. At least in my book.
I think it's pretty clear that more than not these are people who would be "patrons" had this game not gone down a microtransaction SJW cesspool path. I was intending on buying it until I learned more and more about it, and my views echo all of theirs.

NickFire

Good lord. Just saw a thread that says 6k and change to unlock everything without the grind. I still say no one should be reviewing a game they never bought or at least played over artistic direction or politics. But the line is getting blurry when it comes to micro-transactions. If the cost to unlock everything is even 5% of the estimated amount, bombing this with negative reviews might be a public service announcement to warn people of a scam / attempt to fleece children.

LOLCats

Banned
welp. no more pretty women are allowed in games i guess. not that im into fighters like MK, but am sad for this as its becoming the industry norm.

Last edited:

KiteGr

Since when is ultra violence ok, but having a woman show more skin is not.
We can see here insides while she get shawn literally in half, but some skimpy outfit is a no no?!

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Good lord. Just saw a thread that says 6k and change to unlock everything without the grind. I still say no one should be reviewing a game they never bought or at least played over artistic direction or politics. But the line is getting blurry when it comes to micro-transactions. If the cost to unlock everything is even 5% of the estimated amount, bombing this with negative reviews might be a public service announcement to warn people of a scam / attempt to fleece children.

This is not a game for children... like at all maybe you should google it if you are not familiar with the series. And you don't have to own everything, there is more than enough "regular" unlockables.

Fbh

Does anyone even give a shit about the User score of games?

Anyway, personally I'll just wait for the complete edition. Their (at this point standard) practice of locking a character behind a pre order generally kills any interest I might have in getting their games on day 1. And honestly, with the level of microstransactions and grinding described by people I think all characters should be free.
Either put the grind and loot boxes in there but give me free content updates, or sell me season passes and DLC but keep your grind and microtransactions out. If you are going to turn your game into microtransaction infused grindfest while simultaneously asking for another $40 to get content updates you can fuck off

"Gamers" continue to show that they are the shittiest, most moronic group of hobbyists on planet Earth. Fucks sake what a bunch of losers.

Eh, most fanbases of most things are shit.
If you think gamers are shit you should check out football (soccer) fans in my country

Ivellios

Are people really outraged at Jax ending? Is this even one of the motives of the review bombing?

I read some of the reviews and everyone mentioned the abusive grinding in order to push microtransactions.

Barakov

Gold Member
I miss the simpler, ninja outfits of Scorpion and Sub-Zero.

Modern fighting games look like a bunch of cosplayers trying to show off their fancy/detailed outfits.
I blame Tetsuya Nomura for this. He put 5 belts on a single pant leg and caused everybody to overdesign everything.

wipeout364

I was actually thinking that when reviewers score a game they should have a 0 to -5 rating for how much micro transactions affected the enjoyment. So if they maybe a minor effect like over watch maybe -1, whereas a game like this would be -3 to -4, then take this off the total score.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Do people call themselves SJWs? I consider myself a feminist. I've been called an SJW but I don't think I'd ever call myself one or identify as such.
Interesting. I thought SJW was a term that group came up with. Is it more something people outside of that movement calls the collective...I'll admit it does kinda sound sarcastic.

As a feminist though, what trends in games have either vocally or quietly protested against? How do you feel about review bombing in general?

Did someone finally notice the microtransactions? Excellent.
Way to sidetrack their discussion with unrelated attacks on fanbases not thrilled with the ugly art direction or preachy politically-driven dialogue.

Not a coincidence resetera is now asking for user reviews to be removed altogether.

Did someone finally notice the microtransactions? Excellent.
Way to sidetrack their discussion with unrelated attacks on fanbases not thrilled with the ugly art direction or preachy politically-driven dialogue.

Not a coincidence resetera is now asking for user reviews to be removed altogether.
Are they really? Link please, I really want to see this line of comments.

NickFire

Are they really? Link please, I really want to see this line of comments.
Seems implausible that any gaming community would be siding with devs that want to charge the amount that has been alleged by someone else to unlock everything in a fighting game. I understand the request for receipts on that one.

Because it's the intentional altering and censorship of what has always been, now I know that's an appeal to tradition but guess what? Fan service sells, fan service is appealing to fans, you design around what your purchasing base wants and not a screeching vocal minority. This is a product at the end of the day and they've belittled it with puritanism which given the level of violence is double think. Even worse is that the men are still sexualized caricatures which can be made half-naked but that doesn't go the other direction for the women.

How does this differ from old Gaf (ResetEra)? It's pretty simple, the views expressed here and all over the internet are from normal people who actually have interest in this product and are concerned with its integrity being uprooted. The Era crowd don't care about the game, and not even just this game, or games like this in general. They simply want to push a politically motivated and progressive PC ideological narrative to strip away what they don't like or deem offensive from other people.

They want their views to dictate what you can and cannot consume. It's pretty easy to discern us from the psychos, we have no problem with options and both being made available to consumers to change at their will and to their liking. They want no options, they want burkas and veils, they don't want women being sexualized, they don't want you to have options, they want you to have what they deem politically correct and nothing more.

Two things:
1. Do NOT overrate the importance of appeasing "fan service". Trying too hard to appease the core fans can easily ruin things. Its one of the main reasons that Star Trek Into Darkness was a shitass movie and isone of the reasons a small part of me is worried about Godzilla King of the Monsters.

But more importantly, 2. I think you're vastly misappropriating where the majority and 'vocal minority" are on this issue. The vast majority don't GAF about this. It may not seem so specifically on NeoGaf, or on shitty Youtube comments, but how many people do you honestly think are going to NOT buy this game because "UNGH I CAN'T SEE ENOUGH OF SKARLET'S CLEAVAGE!!!"?

The game is rightfully getting negatively reviewed by people because of the grind and people having problems with the PC port (Again)

Show the rest of those 17 pages.
As for "gamer protests" have basically been reduced to meme/joke status." you just need to look at the borderlands 2 reviewbombs. Randy went on a 3-day twitter spree because of those reviews. Tim Sweeney advertises "no user-reviews" as a feature. Clearly, reviewbombing works.

I think you misunderstood my post. I was writing why "conventional" protest and boycotts don't work, and why gamers are turning to review bombing instead. Review bombing is easy. Actually boycotting something that, deep inside, you actually want, is hard. How many people do you think are going to boycott Apex Legends for being an EA game with lootboxes in it? Do you think its enough to counter the people who are going to buy them?

Perceived success of a boycott is usually a misappropriation of some other problem that's being underrated. Some "internet folks" gloated that the disappointing numbers for the Solo movie were the result of the blowback from TLJ when, in all likelihood, that had almost nothing to do with it. Similar situation with Anthem. That game didn't do badly because people were boycotting EA shooters, it did badly because it just straight up sucks.

Dev1lXYZ

The ending to story mode outright sucks. The ending to a three game story arc is literally 20 seconds. I was not amused. Next up, grinding like hell for bits to buy cosmetic upgrades and stage art and music! YAY! I wish I could refund it, but I bought it digitally. It’ll probably entertain me until Days Gone, or I may just go back to finishing Sekiro. Probably the last NRS game I buy.

Last edited:

Neofire

After looking into this "backlash" over Jax's ending is insane. Let's get mad at a video-game character in a fictional setting in a situation that is also fictional lol. After watching it I had no issue with it as a black man.

JimmyJones

Banned
Isn’t review bombing a made up buzz term? I mean, they are user reviews. If people don’t like a game because of X, Y or Z they are free to dislike it and leave a poor review.

Yes. Devs and games journalists are working together to try and censor the consumers. I don’t know how it works on metacritic, but on steam you have to own the game before you can leave a review. People who buy the game have every right to leave a bad review.

"Gamers" continue to show that they are the shittiest, most moronic group of hobbyists on planet Earth. Fucks sake what a bunch of losers.

You presumably play video games. Therefore you are a gamer. You are a part of (what you describe) as "the shittiest, most moronic group of hobbyists on planet Earth." By describing gamers as "losers," you are literally insulting yourself.

This is you.
C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Are people really outraged at Jax ending? Is this even one of the motives of the review bombing?

I read some of the reviews and everyone mentioned the abusive grinding in order to push microtransactions.

Nobody really cares about Jax's ending. It's cringeworthy, sure, but if you read the reviews you'll see that people are rightfully upset about the anti-consumer micro-transactions. The SJW stuff is just being used as a shield against legitimate criticism. People are pretending that the user reviews are not valid. I'd argue that it's the professional reviews that are lacking in integrity.

You presumably play video games. Therefore you are a gamer. You are a part of (what you describe) as "the shittiest, most moronic group of hobbyists on planet Earth." By describing gamers as "losers," you are literally insulting yourself.

This is you.
C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Nah man, I'm not a "gamer". I may be a person has has played videogames since the 80s, but I am most certainly not a "gamer".

• LOL
Reactions: 888
Still no argument... pls explain us why you are superior.

I never said I was superior, I just said it's pathetic to be frothing at the mouth, "review bombing", freaking out and whining over a friggin fictional character that has zero impact on people's everyday life. It's a videogame. A game. A toy.

Videogames are meant to be an enjoyable experience. Something I do to unwind. To chill out. Have a good time. To sit and have such cringey behaviour over something as insignificant as a black man using his new time travel powers to go back in time to eliminate slavery is just pathetic. If this comes across as me being "superior" then so be it. I'd rather that then be a miserable fuck who finds the need to whine over the most insignificant of things such as this.

Nah man, I'm not a "gamer". I may be a person has has played videogames since the 80s, but I am most certainly not a "gamer".

Definition of gamer (as per Merriam-Webster):
: a person who plays games

Definition of gamer (as per Dictionary.com):
: a person who plays games, especially computer or video games.

You are a gamer. You think you are superior to everyone else, so you are pretending that definitions don't apply to you. Rest assured, you are a gamer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom