• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 11 review bombed because of ‘SJW propaganda’ and micro-transactions

Mista

Banned
I’ve never been a fan of review bombing. The game itself is actually very good but the disgusting practice is a disgrace. There’re plenty of ways to deliver your voice and one of them isn’t by review bombing.
Gamers united :messenger_smiling_hearts:
Nah that a shitty way to unite.

Shin

Banned
There’re plenty of ways to deliver your voice and one of them isn’t by review bombing.
That has worked out well so far, let's keep that trend up - type as fast as you can, curse as much as you can on some random forum for some random user to read it.
That'll teach em, ha! :messenger_expressionless:

I disagree, review scores/metacritic matters as they keep track of it and use the scores when it's good/beneficial to them (industry in general).
In an age where you're staring at your mobile screen instead of socializing and/or interacting like as of old when on visitation this is probably the best it will get.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
That has worked out well so far, let's keep that trend up - type as fast as you can, curse as much as you can on some random forum for some random user to read it.
That'll teach em, ha! :messenger_expressionless:
Ummm no. You can obviously not buy shit from MTX and let it rot. That’s an effective way instead of review bombing a good game...

Shin

Banned
Ummm no. You can obviously not buy shit from MTX and let it rot. That’s an effective way instead of review bombing a good game...
By all means tell them how it should be done, there should be enough lost souls on probably any given forum with a gaming section.
I don't care either way.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
In an alternate universe you could have gotten this character design in Mortal Kombat XI

foItdEh.jpg
This is amazingly good character design. She looks strong as fuck but still retains her sexuality. Sex-Negative feminists ruin everything. I wonder if Netherrealms even looked to see what actual female fighters wear?

maxresdefault.jpg

Dear Allah my eyes!!!! SO MUCH SKIN.

Last edited:
Transforming your game to appeal to specific masses because it's the trend now will always leave the other half unsatisfied

I know we're on page 6 already and someone's probably countered this argument, but here I go.

It's the other half that you describe that buy the games, hence the review bombing. The people being catered to don't buy the games as much.

This is what I hear on GAF anyway, don't have any solid evidence, but maybe the low scores are evidence enough.

We shouldn't go around pleasing Stupid Jumped-up Whackjobs, aka SJWs.

Last edited:
....here’re plenty of ways to deliver your voice and one of them isn’t by review bombing.

Is it review bombing if you give the game thumbs down if you are unhappy with the mico-transactions?

By their existence they make the game worse.... So far every single game that removed lootboxes, grind boosters etc. after launch has been better for it.

This is amazingly good character design. She looks strong as fuck but still retains her sexuality. Sex-Negative feminists ruin everything. I wonder if Netherrealms even looked to see what actual female fighters wear?

maxresdefault.jpg

Dear Allah my eyes!!!! SO MUCH SKIN.

Why would you compare the outfits of a ninja/assassin to a UFC fighter? It's like you you have completely missed the point of a costume design and are proving that your only real concern is that you want to see a skimpy woman. Scorpion, Sub, and Noob (also ninja/assassins) don't have UFC style costumes. Why aren't you throwing a fit that the male ninjas aren't dressed like a UFC fighter? Is it because with males character archtype matters, but with females we should ignore archtype and put priority on having Sonya wear a thong again?

Young Johnny, a martial artist has topless costumes, but old Johnny, a military-lite character does not, same with Jax.

Shao Kahn and Baraka are warlord type characters and have outfits showing lots of skin. Sheeva is a warlord type character and also shows lots of skin, but that doesn't count because the Half Dragon lady looks too manly?

lock2k

Banned
Why would you compare the outfits of a ninja/assassin to a UFC fighter? It's like you you have completely missed the point of a costume design and are proving that your only real concern is that you want to see a skimpy woman. Scorpion, Sub, and Noob (also ninja/assassins) don't have UFC style costumes. Why aren't you throwing a fit that the male ninjas aren't dressed like a UFC fighter? Is it because with males character archtype matters, but with females we should ignore archtype and put priority on having Sonya wear a thong again?

Young Johnny, a martial artist has topless costumes, but old Johnny, a military-lite character does not, same with Jax.

Shao Kahn and Baraka are warlord type characters and have outfits showing lots of skin. Sheeva is a warlord type character and also shows lots of skin, but that doesn't count because the Half Dragon lady looks too manly?

Yeah. Why not? lol

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

The male characters in MK11 show way more skin than the females so your argument isn't even valid. We don't have to point to male UFC fighter attire because the MK11 male characters are allowed to have interesting designs that, yes, accentuate their sexuality in areas. The women aren't allowed that and are basically made to wear more armor to "Protect" them in combat. Which makes their designs look completely boring. Also, why does cassie cage need more "Protection" than OG johnny cage. That's pretty sexist to me honestly.

Why does it matter if a woman is fighting half naked in a fucking video game anyways?

Saying a woman needs to be more armored or covered for combat and then having old school J Cage run out there topless is fucking hypocritical. It doesn't matter that his "new" older self dresses like a reject from a bad action film.

They literally took all of the fan service out of MK11 for straight men and lesbian women and left all of the fan service for gay men and straight women. How you don't understand that is kinda suspect.

Kano-MK11-Render-Featured-Image.jpg

il_794xN.1777793310_8ifz.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Kotal-Kahn.jpg

mk11-kombatkast-liu-kang_feature.png

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Why does it matter if a woman is fighting half naked in a fucking video game anyways?

I'm looking forward to future gender segregated MK's, I mean can we really still have big hulking men beating women to death? How is that responsible to show to adults who purchased this mature rated game?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I’m totally anti SJW and Mortal Kombat didn’t check any of the boxes guys...at all.

How do you figure when it was out of the developer's own mouths?

"We are covering up women because NOW we respect them - as we rip their fully clothed faces off tho." With plenty of insults to the community about "strippers", etc..

"Changed the 👌to 🖕 cause of 'Nazis'."

"The Evil overlord who wants to take over the world says, 'Make Outworld Great Again'."

This list goes on and on.

Last edited:

"We are covering up women because NOW we respect them - as we rip their fully clothed faces off tho." With plenty of insults to the community about "strippers", etc..

"The Evil overlord who wants to take over the world says, 'Make Outworld Great Again'."

But that's so badass.
MOGA!

My favorite is still this though.

Uncensored

Censored

:messenger_unamused:

Arkage

Banned
Sadly this isn't an argument and it is quite sound to compare aspects of Islam as it's the most relevant ideology which actively makes a push to desexualize women while carrying none of the logic over to men.

No, you don't get to compare completely autonomous devs deciding to reduce female sexuality in their game, to a theocracy that forces its female population to cover their body against their will or else be violently punished. Stop with your idiocy.

Says one of many people in this thread flipping their shit precisely over the issue of whether women are fighting half naked in a fucking video game.

Last edited:

DansDans

Beautiful female faces.

D4ZpW4RW4AA69hc.jpg

I dont know if its been mentioned yet, but this image is of Sheeva - and Sheeva has NEVER been a beautiful face in the MK series

I am all for us standing up to the "SJWs" and other "propaganda" - but the above post makes everyone who agrees with the comment look foolish. Characters like Kitana, Cassie (even Sonya), Jacqui and Cetrion all have beautiful feminine faces. Heck even Jade and Skarlet too. Lets not over-react about a face for a character who was already known as being ugly.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I dont know if its been mentioned yet, but this image is of Sheeva - and Sheeva has NEVER been a beautiful face in the MK series

I am all for us standing up to the "SJWs" and other "propaganda" - but the above post makes everyone who agrees with the comment look foolish. Characters like Kitana, Cassie (even Sonya), Jacqui and Cetrion all have beautiful feminine faces. Heck even Jade and Skarlet too. Lets not over-react about a face for a character who was already known as being ugly.
DtKOx3s.png

Death by Snoo Snoo

What do these links have? I can't access them.
Basically Johnny Cage has a winpose where he comically tells the opponent "fuck you" 3 times in succession while flipping the opponent off in a difference pose to each "fuck you", however in the final version of the game the word fuck is edited out and replaced with a barely audible bleep.
It looks like the beta build and the full retail release. It's a win quote from Johnny Cage.
Yeah, uncensored is from the build they played earlier in the year that had been clipped, and censored is from Max playing the game last night after finally unlocking the winpose.....

In a game where you're encouraged to rip your opponent apart after winning, sometimes even using there upper body as a ventriloquist dummy, one of the characters comically saying "fuck you" in succession to the opponent is going "too far" and inappropriate? Wut?

Last edited:

Christopher

You know me on the political side I’m very anti SJW but I actually agree if you look at the characters from MK 2012 as I did it’s a bit cringeworthy in itself how over the top some of the female designs were.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
[
You know me on the political side I’m very anti SJW but I actually agree if you look at the characters from MK 2012 as I did it’s a bit cringeworthy in itself how over the top some of the female designs were.

In a game that is all about over the top. They rip faces off with their hands FFS.

:pie_roffles:

Last edited:
No, you don't get to compare completely autonomous devs deciding to reduce female sexuality in their game, to a theocracy that forces its female population to cover their body against their will or else be violently punished. Stop with your idiocy.
Sure you do, because they're both the result of an ideological ethos hindering both societies resulting in puritanism regarding the exposure of women. One may be forced and the other may be the result of pressure but where does this pressure come from? A politically driven ideologue mob trying to subvert existing control and free will to gain power and force their values.

Do you think Islam and Sharia Law just sprang into existence? No, it began as conversion and pressure. You're not up to this conversation bud, I'm telling you now.

Last edited:

DansDans

Basically Johnny Cage has a winpose where he comically tells the opponent "fuck you" 3 times in succession while flipping the opponent off in a difference pose to each "fuck you", however in the final version of the game the word fuck is edited out and replaced with a barely audible bleep.

Yeah, uncensored is from the build they played earlier in the year that had been clipped, and censored is from Max playing the game last night after finally unlocking the winpose.....

In a game where you're encouraged to rip your opponent apart after winning, sometimes even using there upper body as a ventriloquist dummy, one of the characters comically saying "fuck you" in succession to the opponent is going "too far" and inappropriate? Wut?

I thought it was wierd when Kanos's R2+L2 move had the word fuck censored in it too (check the move list - its called Not here to fuck spiders)

Seriously, the game always going to get the strongest rating - who cares about the f-word anymore

I thought it was wierd when Kanos's R2+L2 move had the word fuck censored in it too (check the move list - its called Not here to fuck spiders)

Seriously, the game always going to get the strongest rating - who cares about the f-word anymore
Who cares?

A mature rating designating the level of vulgarity to expect, the first amendment of the constitution and the protection of art and free speech, the perpetuation of free society without compelled or pressured alteration to protected rights...

Some of us care, you can't give these people an inch because they'll try to take a mile.

Last edited:

DansDans

Who cares?

A mature rating designating the level of vulgarity to expect, the first amendment of the constitution and the protection of art and free speech, the perpetuation of free society without compelled or pressured alteration to protected rights...

Some of us care, you can't give these people an inch because they'll try to take a mile.

WTF? Can you read?
I was asking "who cares about the f-word anymore (so why is it being censored)?

Jesus next time I'll spell out the full sentence. I thought people on here were smart enough to understand that I was commenting that censoring the f-word was stupid... clearly not...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I guess we’ll agree to disagree I think the women look better as fighters in while still retaining their sexiness. *shrug

And that is fine, but the fact remains, there is plenty of evidence of alterations due to ideology. From the developers own comments in interviews, and how they’re interacting on Twitter.

It’s not whether you like it more or not, it’s their reasons behind it.

I had a feeling bad things were to come when they ruined Sonya just to hamfist Ronda fucking Rousey into the game. Guess those feelings were well founded.

I can't speak to what's been said publicly regarding the female outfits etc, but their outfits changing doesn't bother me. If I want to see scantily clad women, the internet is always there. I don't now how you guys play fighting games but I typically keep both hands on the controller and not my dick.

I'm kindve appalled at the protest citing Jax ending slavery. How is going back in time to end slavery a SJW thing? Does he say he's going back in time to kill whitey or something?

The grindiness and microtransactions deserve all the hate they get though.

20cent

Banned
Probably when this BS first started. But wouldn't you say they should've learned by now that ''get woke, go broke'' is an actual thing? Not only video games (Battlefield), but also movies (Ghostbusters) and commercials (Gillette) that push SJW/feminist propaganda show reduced sales and have overall very negative receptions.
I think we are seeing the second (hopefully final) wave; the decision was probably made long time ago when the development started, they just maintained the direction guessing it would be fine, maybe?

Jon Neu

Banned
I'm kindve appalled at the protest citing Jax ending slavery. How is going back in time to end slavery a SJW thing? Does he say he's going back in time to kill whitey or something?

There's definitely a language use that doesn't fool anyone about the political intentions.

I don't know why people still keep ignoring literally what the creators are saying and the game itself is saying. You can't pretend to talk about "being woke", "respecting women by not having sexy outfits" or make the villain paraphrase Donald Trump and then complain because people say you are a SJW.

CatCouch

I decided not to buy it. I really like sexy outfits in games so having a series that used to have them ditch them for realism is disappointing (especially since there's still high heels...). Not even having a few options for sexy outfits just rubs me the wrong way. I really liked Injustice 2 but this feels kind of insulting to me, like I'm being told to screw off. The MTX issues sealed the deal.

There's just not enough here for me to buy. I'm not going to review bomb or anything. I just feel this is not a product for me which sucks since I bought almost every Mortal Kombat game since the 90's and do buy collector's editions. Samurai Shodown will be my next fighter.

Last edited:

CatCouch

They are for sure not ditching them for realism.

They couldn't care less about realism.
That's part of why it rubs me the wrong way. If they said nothing at all I might of bought the game (and been disappointed by the grinding, lol) but the fact that they state that sexy outfits are gone and they don't care if I'm disappointed pushed me away from pre-ordering.

There's a difference between covering up sexy outfits for a artistic reasons and telling your audience you don't approve of sexy outfits. If NRS said they understand that people like sexy content but they don't want it in this game I would be fine but they instead talked about being more mature and respectful, which implies sexy outfits are immature and disrespectful. I kind of take that as an insult.

I'm fine with the "woke" stuff like Jax's ending. That's new content that's not removing part of what I buy games for. It does not push me away from the game but implying I might not respect women for liking scantily clad outfits is a huge turn-off. I don't play games to be personally judged. Perhaps the interview was played up for Polygon and that's not their actual views (some characters still look sexy) but I won't know that unless they clarify.

I get bad vibes that NRS is judgmental of gamers and wish to dictate what is right and wrong in this industry, which is an issue I saw with Battlefield V among a few others. It could just be how I'm interpreting it, though the interview with Polygon seems quite clear to me.

Jon Neu

Banned
You probably should inform that to the developers.

I don't need to inform them. They already informed everybody that they don't want to sexualize poor women because they are so progressive and woke and they care a lot.

The realism card in a game about 4 arms mutants that rip your skull off of your face and throw fire from their throat is just another clumsy subterfuge.

Top Bottom