• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 11 review bombed because of ‘SJW propaganda’ and micro-transactions

stickkidsam

What if they cut out all MTX from MK11 and the end result was we never got another MK game.

Are all of you happy to die on that hill of losing a video game simply because of the morality of MTX?

Whether you realize it or not, you are advocating against the success and viability of the future of gaming, I'm not sure you're supporting the right causes, just my opinion
If the only way for the game to survive is by diving into Microtransactions then maybe it's time to find a new game.

There's no reason a game needs microtransactions to survive. That is purely a business decision that takes advantage of people's love for an IP with no real benefit to the consumer, so why would I want to support that?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
MK has rised to the top by being an over the top game with sensesless violence and also sexy women wearing skimpy clothes. I'm pretty sure the majority of buyers of MK are still heterosexual men.

Senseless violence yes. But I'm unconvinced that the skimpy outfits are as important as you make them out to be. MKX also had very modest designs for the women compared to MK9

sonya9vs10.png

Mortal Kombat X is one of the best selling fighting games ever made with over 10 million units sold. Before you counter with "well it only sold well because of MK9", consider that only 5 million of those sales came early in its lifespan. Meaning people kept buying the game for years despite the change in tone and character design.

The majorty of those people who kept buying MK despite a vocal minority online were also heterosexual men I imagine.

Senseless violence yes. But I'm unconvinced that the skimpy outfits are as important as you make them out to be. MKX also had very modest designs for the women compared to MK9

sonya9vs10.png

Mortal Kombat X is one of the best selling fighting games ever made with over 10 million units sold. Before you counter with "well it only sold well because of MK9", consider that only 5 million of those sales came early in its lifespan. Meaning people kept buying the game for years despite the change in tone and character design.

The majorty of those people who kept buying MK despite a vocal minority online were also heterosexual men I imagine.

On the flip side, Kitana's outfits were on par with her 2-8 stuff.
kitana_tournament_costume_skin_mkx_render_by_sandraredfield_dco88r2-pre.jpg

Then of course Injustice 2 that was just 2 years ago.

In MK11 the problem isn't "no longer MK9 strippers", the problem is they come off as so afraid of female skin that most the outfits are all samey and bland, just look at Skarlet and her hairstyles to desperately add more uniqueness to them.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
But I'm unconvinced that the skimpy outfits are as important as you make them out to be.

They are not important per se (except for the crazy feminazis and SJW that make it the most important thing ever).

It's the fact that you change the style of your game and basically self censorship yourself for the sake of an angry puritan minority that doesn't care about your games in the first place, it's ridiculous and a treason to the core of your own games.

And it's actually really stupid, because those SJW puritans are never going to be satisfied no matter how much you catter to them. They are going to demand more and more all the time. Now it's the outfits, next is going to be making the females uglier and less sexy (because ironically, they are still super sexy).

You are destroying options instead of giving them for the sake of pleasing people that their sole existence is based in bitching about everything. People that ultimately can't never be pleased. And you are given them more power than to your loyal fans.

Exactly, because white heterosexual men don't feel offended by looking at super muscular semi naked characters. We see idealization and sexualization as a good thing.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
In MK11 the problem isn't "no longer MK9 strippers", the problem is they come off as so afraid of female skin that most the outfits are all samey and bland, just look at Skarlet and her hairstyles to desperately add more uniqueness to them, and are just strait up lacking compared to there previous games in general.

I'm always up for more Skarlet costumes. We're still in week 1 of a game that WB will be supporting for a couple years so I'm pretty optimistic.

You are destroying options instead of giving them for the sake of pleasing people that their sole existence is based in bitching about everything. People that ultimately can't never be pleased. And you are given them more power than to your loyal fans.

100% agree that options are a good thing. MKX eventually added the MK2 style leotards and it'd be great to use that. You're also right to point out that they're not really gaining sales from a new demographic because those people generally don't play games outside their iphone.

My only point throughout this thread has been that the review bombing and community backlash isn't something that will necessarily reflect itself in sales. Frumpy covered-up Sonya didn't actually prevent MKX from selling. Don't think Saudi Jade will hurt MK11 either.

RedVIper

Banned
I'm always up for more Skarlet costumes. We're still in week 1 of a game that WB will be supporting for a couple years so I'm pretty optimistic.

100% agree that options are a good thing. MKX eventually added the MK2 style leotards and it'd be great to use that. You're also right to point out that they're not really gaining sales from a new demographic because those people generally don't play games outside their iphone.

My only point throughout this thread has been that the review bombing and community backlash isn't something that will necessarily reflect itself in sales. Frumpy covered-up Sonya didn't actually prevent MKX from selling. Don't think Saudi Jade will hurt MK11 either.

I think it's pretty hypocritical to say that they want to make costumes more mature, dress all the woman in burkas and have the men looking like they're about to hit the towns gayest strip club.
If they wanted MK11 to be more mature, fine, GOW did it, I didn't like it either but fine. You don't get to pick and choose though.

Review bombing and community backlash might not always reflect itself in poor sales, but it does sometimes, and I think that's better than nothing.

McCheese

This is genius, inject some political bullshit into your game so when folks complain about aggresive microtransactions you can claim it's all the trump supporters review bombing you for your wokeness, and quite effectively discredit the other valid complaints.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
jesus fucking christ...

skarlet is fucking hideous btw. ignore the tits im too lazy to crop.
d45o80d-0199859f-c013-4d9c-98c7-5b7c45342dfa.png

gh0df76di9d21.jpg

kitana is pretty fucking ugly too. me and friends always thought the female ninjas were latina because they were brown but ok.
I'm gonna need you to be more precise in which one of these two you are calling hideous; if it's the bottom one I'll assume you're dating beyonce.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

“A far more egregious form of caving however happened just this week when it was revealed that Mortal Kombat 11 changed the gesture for Johnny Cage. Originally he had been making a circle symbol only for it to be changed to a middle finger. When asked online why this was, a developer for the game responded with “Nazis”.

Although if I may add, a game around a predatory micro-transaction and heavy grinding meant to wear the player down, maybe the middle finger is more apt inline with the rest of the experience, as the whole game seems to be saying ‘fuck you’ to the player.”

Last edited:

Yagami_Sama

I still need to play this. I was impressed by the Switch version, at least on the videos I saw, looks likes a solid port , but when the game arrived, and I saw a 16gb download, it was quite a let down.

“A far more egregious form of caving however happened just this week when it was revealed that Mortal Kombat 11 change the gesture for Johnny Cage. Originally he had been making a circle simple only for it to be changed to a middle finger. When asked online why this was, a developer for the game responded with “Nazis”.

Although if I may add, a game around a predatory micro-transaction and heavy grinding meant to wear the player down, maybe the middle finger is more apt inline with the rest of the experience, as the whole game seems to be saying ‘fuck you’ to the player.”

Please please please please make Blizzard change Zenyatta :messenger_ok: . I want to see that circus :messenger_tears_of_joy:

sn0man

I don't understand the concept of review bombing to protest. Why not just do regular protest? I mean, does anybody look at an 83 on metacritic and then look at the 2.9 and say, "Holy chit I need to stay away from this game"? I don't wanna generalize...and I won't, but let's just take GAF as an example.

Please identify yourself if you consider yourself a SJW. It's not to berate you. I just have some questions.

I'll wait.

I’m something of a feminist and also very okay with multicultural representation and a variety of things. I don’t know that review bombing helps but if you wanted to ask me questions you can.

Kenji Ramon

I spent $100 on the premium edition. I could care less about the SJW stuff, but the single player krypt and towers are worse than any F2P mobile game i’ve ever seen.

Here is the flow of single player. To get gear and skins you need coins. The krypt is random so you spend your coins and end up with little in the way of gear or skins. Instead you get consumables. Take the consumables to the online towers where even with those consumables you get destroyed by the cheapest gameplay imaginable, Enemies have 4 time more health than you, do twice the damage all while missles and rockets and swords are flying at you. You can’t even do combos because the offscreen projectiles knock you out of them.

So to make towers more manageable, you need to put augments in your gear. How do you get augments ? By beating said towers or unlocking from the krypt. If you do beat the tower, you get enough gold to open maybe two chests with no guarantee you will get an augment because there are 25 different characters and augments are not only character specific, but gear specific.

That’s right, not only do you have to find augments randomly among concept art, profile banners, consumable items, gear, skins, brutalities and fatalities ... but you need to have a specific augment for a specific character that matches a specific kind of gear.

For example. Since Tuesday’s launch, I have about 18 hours of game play. So far I have 2 augments for Scorpion, the gear I have that is leveled up enough to even hold augments doesn’t match the augment type I have. So I have to spend 1,000 Koins to re roll my gear in hopes that it will match my augment type. I re rolled multiple times and never got them to match. Beating arcade tower nets you about 3,000 Koins, so you have to play through a whole arcade tower just two attempt to re roll your gear 3 times.

It is the worst of the worst type of mobile game loot box garbage you can think of. WB has officially joined the likes of EA and Activsion.

That sounds absolutely horrendous and I thought SFV was bad with FM. It’s a shame this isn’t getting more negativity in the media and by the FGC because this is unacceptable.

I spent $100 on the premium edition. I could care less about the SJW stuff, but the single player krypt and towers are worse than any F2P mobile game i’ve ever seen.

Here is the flow of single player. To get gear and skins you need coins. The krypt is random so you spend your coins and end up with little in the way of gear or skins. Instead you get consumables. Take the consumables to the online towers where even with those consumables you get destroyed by the cheapest gameplay imaginable, Enemies have 4 time more health than you, do twice the damage all while missles and rockets and swords are flying at you. You can’t even do combos because the offscreen projectiles knock you out of them.

So to make towers more manageable, you need to put augments in your gear. How do you get augments ? By beating said towers or unlocking from the krypt. If you do beat the tower, you get enough gold to open maybe two chests with no guarantee you will get an augment because there are 25 different characters and augments are not only character specific, but gear specific.

That’s right, not only do you have to find augments randomly among concept art, profile banners, consumable items, gear, skins, brutalities and fatalities ... but you need to have a specific augment for a specific character that matches a specific kind of gear.

For example. Since Tuesday’s launch, I have about 18 hours of game play. So far I have 2 augments for Scorpion, the gear I have that is leveled up enough to even hold augments doesn’t match the augment type I have. So I have to spend 1,000 Koins to re roll my gear in hopes that it will match my augment type. I re rolled multiple times and never got them to match. Beating arcade tower nets you about 3,000 Koins, so you have to play through a whole arcade tower just two attempt to re roll your gear 3 times.

It is the worst of the worst type of mobile game loot box garbage you can think of. WB has officially joined the likes of EA and Activsion.

Wow. So it’s even worst than I thought. I barely unlocked anything besides consumables and a few other things in like 4 days of constant playing. I’m really enjoying the game, but the grind makes doa6 on day one look like putting in the Konami cheat code at the title screen or something. Even earning fight money in sf5 after the arcade edition looks tame in comparison. I think it’s worst I’ve seen in any game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom