• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 12 leak (grain of salt)

Nickolaidas

Banned
Grain of salt and all, I'm making this thread because a legit insider told me he has heard something similar, and also vibes with Jeff Grubb's info.

Mortal Kombat 12 will be revealed at VGA later this year. It's basically Mk Trilogy 2.0. Will use every character model from mk11 (they will more or less play and feel the same), plus every character from mk9 and mkx that never made it to mk11.

Exceptions are Cyber Sub Zero, Triborg and all guests. Mk9-X characters will have updated character models (not sure about movesets, but probably will play differently).

The game will use select arenas from all three games, with the older ones being updated to mk11 standards.

Game will play like mk11, with a couple of refinements. There will be a story mode, new Krypt.

There are three dlc packs to be released. Kp1 will be four characters the next two will be three characters each. Kombat Pack 1 will be: Reiko, Li Mei (probably due to their appearance in Battle of the Realms), John Wick and Doomslayer.

Ermac's character model will be based in his krypt one in mk11.

Cyrax and Sektor will look like they did in mk11.

Smoke will be human and have long and flowing silver hair.

Kintaro's character model will be based off of Shang Tsung's fatality in mk11.

Havik is considered for kp2-3, but NRS feels that he deserves a spot in the story, not just as dlc (like with Fujin).

I don't trust this leaker 100%, but they said some things which an insider that I trust (who had also told me mk11 was done months before it was publicly stated by NRS) has also heard.

If true, I'm ecstatic. This is basically Mortal Kombat 11 Gold (like the Dreamcast version of mk4), and I am most interested. Also, won't take long to know if it's true. Reveal's supposedly in this year's VGAs.

So no Injustice 3 for now (supposedly).

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
If true I hope they find a way to import the 9-11 stories into one package a la Hitman. I never played them but they sounded interesting.

Nickolaidas

Banned
If true I hope they find a way to import the 9-11 stories into one package a la Hitman. I never played them but they sounded interesting.
Leaker claims the story is new, Fire God Liu Kang toying with the timeline. First chapter is going to be in the Great Kung Lao era.

Shao Kahn is set up as the final boss.

makaveli60

Sounds too good to be true

incidentelly, I started playing mk11 aftermath yesterday. Shang steals the show so far

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
If true it would be a rare day 1 buy for me. Hopefully they aren't stupid and bring back test your might and test your luck. That tower was a poor replacement for test your luck.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Will they still keep that "stands out how badly there not a voice actor" Sonya Blade? I cringe every time she shows up because of just how bad her voice is.

Literally they have Robocop and the Terminator sounding like they gave more emotion than this travesty

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'd hope for further refining of the mechanics. I love the direction the gameplay has started to shift in but it's still not all the way there for me.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Will they still keep that "stands out how badly there not a voice actor" Sonya Blade? I cringe every time she shows up because of just how bad her voice is.

Literally they have Robocop and the Terminator sounding like they gave more emotion than this travesty

I asked this as well, and I also asked if her face model will change.

Face remains the same. The voice is different.

Nickolaidas

Banned
I really don't believe this because of how bad Armageddon was and the issues they ran into with that game.
They will basically add 16-18 characters to the base mk11 roster, and ten characters in the future as dlc.

It's not unfeasible. 2/3 of the base roster is already done, the fighting engine is more or less the same.

It sounds like a glorified dlc expansion which will then be sold as a new game.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
I'd hope for further refining of the mechanics. I love the direction the gameplay has started to shift in but it's still not all the way there for me.
The leaker claims that rumors that mk12 would go back to mkx-like gameplay are false (quote: "no run button, sorry")

Claimed that nrs thinks they nailed it gameplay-wise with mk11 and only minor tweaks will be made.

Personally, if true, this is more like due to time constraints rather than a lack of need to improve on the fighting mechanics. My two cents.

Fuz

Banned
New Scarlet design leaked:

il_794xN.1232644015_9c05.jpg

MK11 was the only fighting game I got into, and was fairly decent (managed to beat up friend plenty of times who plays fighting game all his life lmao). Give me mk11 with my boy sub-zero!

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Sounds ok.....

Wish they would dedicate a small team to release a collection of perfect arcade ports of MK1, MK2, and UMK3. There is such nostalgia for the first 3 games, it would definitely sell!!!

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Reasons why I don't believe this is true.

1. Mortal Kombat 11's gameplay was criticized by the FGC and it will most likely have them return to something similar to Mortal Kombat X style of gameplay.

2. This series has a variation system. Bringing back so many characters and balancing so many variations would be too much work, especially during Covid when so many games have been delayed.

3. Based on Mortal Kombat 11's ending, Mortal Kombat 12 will likely feature the Great Kung Lao and another soft reboot to the series.

4. Whenever I see Havik, Reiko, and Li Mei names, then it's likely some fanmade wishlist

5. Doomslayer is in question for me since it's an IP owned by MS. Unless they have already received clearance by MS, they character could be a problem if MS wants it to be exclusive to their platforms

6. No mentions of new characters.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Reasons why I don't believe this is true.

1. Mortal Kombat 11's gameplay was criticized by the FGC and it will most likely have them return to something similar to Mortal Kombat X style of gameplay.

2. This series has a variation system. Bringing back so many characters and balancing so many variations would be too much work, especially during Covid when so many games have been delayed.

3. Based on Mortal Kombat 11's ending, Mortal Kombat 12 will likely feature the Great Kung Lao and another soft reboot to the series.

4. Whenever I see Havik, Reiko, and Li Mei names, then it's likely some fanmade wishlist

5. Doomslayer is in question for me since it's an IP owned by MS. Unless they have already received clearance by MS, they character could be a problem if MS wants it to be exclusive to their platforms

6. No mentions of new characters.
1. Perhaps they think that a few tweaks (wake-up, punish, breakaway) will be enough.

2. Leaker claims variations, skins, gear and whatnot will be less for each char (kinda like with Armaggeddon where characters had two variations instead of three).

3. It begins with Kung Lao, but supposedly quickly moves away from it (kinda like the MKX ending gave you the impression it's going to be all about Dark Raiden and yet he only appeared in the first ten minutes of MK11)

4. If the Legacy characters are all in the base roster, 3D era (and new names) is the only way to go for DLC

5. Agreed.

6. If it's meant as a 'Trilogy' kind of game, it won't have any - unless they're DLC.

Last edited:

Banned
fingers crossed for this to be the first good fighting system Ed Boon's team cranks out 🤞

but I wouldn't get my hopes up too much... it has been 30 years and his team didn't manage to do that even once until now, so chances are low

rkofan87

Gold Member
MK9 (rebooted the franchise), X, and 11 all are one continuity with 11 being like a Avengers Endgame thing with the MK fighters from the 90s interacting with the present day ones.
oh ok hell yes i want a 9 remaster so bad. ps thanks btw.

Last edited:

Fbh

Could lure me in if only because Smoke.

The on fighting game character I ever took the time to learn how to play and do ok with....and then he never came back in any of the sequels.

Top Bottom