• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Armageddon character select screen

3D MK is so damn clunky. It doesn't flow. The animation is not that great. The jumping mechanics suck. The whole system of punshiment of moves and block and hit stun is all dumb. Jesus, its a damn mess.

That being said, I still buy these things. Its a guilty pleasure. I like the characters and the special moves. I play for a couple months, then put it away and go play a real fighting game.

I wish they would make the gameplay better, or at least try.

Christopher

CarlosX360 said:
Why do people keep asking this question? Why don't you just ****in' play Deadly Alliance, and Deception to understand it? Hmm?

Who am I kidding, people are ignorant.

...what the ****? :lol please shut up.

Excuse me that i'm not up to date on every Mortal Kombat game.

FightyF

Banned
CarlosX360 said:
With Next Gen Xbox 360, and PS3? Both 3D powerhouses!?

I have one thing to do: :lol

What a n00b comment, you can digitize 3D object d00d.

:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om9CbTfmDaM&search=3d scanner
Some kid did a scan of his face

Arius 3D scanner
http://www.inition.co.uk/inition/product.php?URL_=product_digiscan_arius3d&SubCatID_=30

Konica Minolta VI90X
http://www.inition.co.uk/inition/product.php?URL_=product_digiscan_minolta_vivid_910_fw&SubCatID_=30

Good for scanning people

With these sorts of technologies getting cheaper and cheaper there is no excuse for having a game that isn't photorealistic to a large degree.

im not having any fun playing the recent versions...hopefully, the button scheme for moves become more easier to do

kinda noobish, i should probably learn to play how they made it...but, i feel it could be easier to get into...for myself anyway

Grifter

Why are some of you guys sticklers for MK canon? Even a couple of you who agree that the series is shit knows the comprehensive evolution of MK. Is it Shakespeare for the generically angsty? Hay-zooos.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I *love* Ermac story...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Kombat said:
Another Easter egg actually came about from a rumored glitch. In the original arcade version of the first Mortal Kombat, a rumor stated that the game would sometimes present problems due to a bug and mix two characters together. This would usually be two of the ninja characters, resulting in a ninja in a semi-red suit. The computer would display his name as "ERMAC", short for "error macro." As word spread, people thought they had found a secret character. In the game audits, ERMACS will appear on one of the pages, possibly being a stat to either show how many times a player encountered a secret character or a glitch. That wasn't the case, yet in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, it was decided to make an actual Ermac character. Also, glitch characters occurred should the player accomplish the very difficult feat of reaching Reptile in Endurance mode in the first Mortal Kombat. Once Reptile was defeated, the second character would jump down. As Reptile used a special green colour palette, the following fighter (a normal fighter) would be a jumble of the character's original colors plus Reptile's green colors.

They also said ermac showed up in red because that's the outfit color used for the clothes in the characters. It was red because the machine lost the color code of the sprite.
Also, it is said that Ermac plays just like Scorpion (when it comes to attacks).

It's more a myth than anything - but that's how crazy Mortal Kombat is. A myth just became part of the story.

Long Story Short: ERMAC was in the accounting page for the mortal kombat machine. Everybody though it was a special character (was actually how many times the machine had an ERror MACro). Then, some magazine created fake pictures of scorpion in red and said that was ERMAC.. there, myth is created, everybody went haywire and midway decided to put him in mortal kombat 3.

jett

D-Member
731_CharacterSelect.jpg

I didn't know so much bad art could be contained within one picture.

S-Wind

Anyanka said:
John Tobias left.
How did that affect the MK games? That's not a rhetocial question. I am genuinely curious. I don't know what John Tobias's role as co-creator was, what he was responsible for in the MK games.

Is it anything like when Naoto Ohshima left Sonic Team? He designed most of the characters and the results of his leaving are quite obvious.

That doesn't mean much. They've always taken things from "non canon" sources and added them into the main story with little explination. Like the story is filled with things from the movie they liked so much they just added them in. If there's something about Shaolin Monks they want to introduce to the main story they will.
True...

Yes, the romance between Liu Kang and Kitana was inspired by the movies. Yes, Kano was retconned into being Australian due to the actor being British and portraying him as Autralian (I HATED that change! Kano was much cooler as a half-American-half-Japanese guy abandoned in Japan as a boy.)

However, this situation is different. The movies, like the cartoon, like the TV show, were never intended to be canon, but a few ideas and influences crept into the games over time. Whereas Shaolin Monks' storyline contradicted sssssooooooooooooooo much of the canon (yes, even by MK standards) that it had to be made non-canon. Even if a few bits of the Shaolin Monks storyline creeps into the canon over time, I don't think that game will ever be accepted into the MK canon, ever.

Ermac being in MK1 in any way is probably an urban legend.
I lean more towards untrue/made up/embellished/distorted bragging that developed a life of its own.

S-Wind

Grifter said:
Why are some of you guys sticklers for MK canon? Even a couple of you who agree that the series is shit knows the comprehensive evolution of MK. Is it Shakespeare for the generically angsty? Hay-zooos.
Me? It has nothing to do with angst. I happen to like games with expansive storylines and histories, as a result, I find that the details stay in my memory without much effort.

In addition, the MK canon and storylines are damn convoluted with constant retcons, side switching, characters dying only to be not dead later, etc. that it actually appeals to me in a so-bad-it's-good kind of way.

I actually get a perverse kick out of telling people (only the ones who ask) this tangled mess of a mythos and seeing the confused and WTF?! looks on their faces. The best part is when they finally burst out in exasperation: WTF is with everying dying only to be alive later?!

That is when I laugh and shout: EXACTLY!!! :lol

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
looks like the 4 ninjas were the only ones spared (scorpion, sub zero, sektor, cyrax). Everybody else got ****ed up in transition to 3d. good god what did they do to kano.

I hope they realise their roots in the next gen mortal kombat. They should really think about starting back over to the MK1-3 era and think about cutting some characters. maybe incorporate it into the storyline, the good vs evil war killed alot of the combatants and only a few lived for the next mk.

negitoro7

ThatCrazyGuy said:
That being said, I still buy these things. Its a guilty pleasure. I like the characters and the special moves. I play for a couple months, then put it away and go play a real fighting game.

I wish they would make the gameplay better, or at least try.

Exactly. I ended up returning DA and Deception to the store a mere few weeks after I got them, yet I still see myself buying this when it comes out. It's like a car wreck, you can't help but be curious.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
this game was so much fun at E3. I was surprised by how much they improved Mortal Kombat since the last one i played (4).

its FUN.

ZeoVGM

Banned
i love the people going "this series is still going? -_-"

yeah, why wouldn't it? they REVIVED the damn thing with this past generation, as it was dead during the 32/64-bit gen.

it's not supposed to be virtua fighter. it's supposed to be silly and fun to play.

this is gonna rock. Deception kicked ass

wish there would be a 360 version though

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Whoa... Noob Saibot = Sub Zero? Just found that out on Wikipedia. Thats pretty crazy

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
ColdBlooded33 said:
Whoa... Noob Saibot = Sub Zero? Just found that out on Wikipedia. Thats pretty crazy
yeah, one of the few storylines in mk that i actually liked, it really made sense, once you get over the noob saibot/tobais boon name relation.

CarlosX360 said:
Then why did you go like "Who the **** are half these people?"

Because all the characters have weak designs and for me are instantly forgetable, i have also played this game it is actually pretty good but thats only because when i played it i had the command list for every character.

The problem for me that always lets down mortal kombat is in tekken how a begginer can pick up the bad and string combos together if you dont know no combos you aint getting nowhere within mortal kombat.

Anyanka

I just remember everything from when I was into the series.

How did that affect the MK games? That's not a rhetocial question. I am genuinely curious. I don't know what John Tobias's role as co-creator was, what he was responsible for in the MK games.

He was the lead artist and character designer. Ed Boon did the programming while John Tobias was the artist. In 1999 he left Midway, so his last major characters were the MK4/MKM guys like Shinnok and Quan Chi. Nowadays there's several people who design characters but back then the team was very small. Everyone had input but basically the classic characters and story are his vision.

However, this situation is different. The movies, like the cartoon, like the TV show, were never intended to be canon, but a few ideas and influences crept into the games over time. Whereas Shaolin Monks' storyline contradicted sssssooooooooooooooo much of the canon (yes, even by MK standards) that it had to be made non-canon. Even if a few bits of the Shaolin Monks storyline creeps into the canon over time, I don't think that game will ever be accepted into the MK canon, ever.

They'll pick and choose whatever they like, just like they always do. Shaolin Monks' story was such a waste. Despite being the most popular game we've never really got much detail about what happened in MK II and it's become basically just a small footnote. Fans still can't even decide what happened to Kintaro and Kahn. They had a chance to flesh out that story and end the debates and unanswered questions. Instead they did a story that just everything even more confusing. Good job Midway.

I want to see them explain away Chi getting the amulet from Kahn's body. That will be funny.

If there's anything about MKA I am looking forward to it's the story. Not because I think it'll be good...but to see how much of a train wreck it'll be. With 60+ characters they should be able to set a new record for mistakes, contradictions and retcons. It'll be fun to see the arguments and what is declared non canon because it's impossible to make sense of it.

I lean more towards untrue/made up/embellished/distorted bragging that developed a life of its own.

That's what I'm saying. It started off with people assuming the listing for "ermacs" in the audits menu was a hidden character and it's so ingrained everyone has just accepted it as fact.

The Ermac story is a classic urban legend. Everyone just "knows" it exists but nobody has ever seen it, they just heard about it somewhere or they know someone who did. The story is basically the same(red ninja) but the details change each time it's passed on. Sometimes it's a red Scorpion, sometimes a red Reptile, sometimes you fight him, othertimes he just jumps down. Then there's the "proof" that everybody knows about but no one can ever cite, like the supposed interview where Ed Boon said he was real that no one can actually quote. No one knows what issue of what magazine it was in, you just see "Ed Boon said so in back in the day". The best part about the story is that since the explination is that it's "rare" few question that it's been over a decade. I honestly think the main reason it's lasted so long is that fans WANT to believe. MK fans love to hype up and get nostalgic about how "mysterious" and full of secrets the MK games are and since everything has long been found and the new games have weak secrets the best way to keep MK all cryptic is to get excited about a secret that's not even actually there. It's so accepted I bet if you took a poll the vast majority would insist up and down that Ermac is in MK1. Ermac has got to be the most widley passed on myth in gaming.

Christopher

Sorry Anyanka I don't know how you could follow the story after MK2...after that it just got downright silly. I liked in MK2 how it was more fantasy than MK1...but didn't over do it.

Bo130

Whoa, sorry if this has been mentioned, but according to Games Radar, Midway will send out a press release tomorrow saying that this comes to Wii. Unexpected, I'd say.

Release: Q1 2007.

We'll just have to wait and see :D

the 3d mks seem to be the closest to a modern killer instinct

in an interview it says that they brought down the stances to only 2 per character to balance the game

oh and the create a fatality is just a realtime choose what to do to the opponent during a fatality instead of watching a cutscene of your character doing the same fatalities

Top Bottom