• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Armageddon character select screen

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Does this still have the awful stance switching gameplay of the last couple? If so, no sale.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
CO_Andy said:
What's wrong with American game design? God of War almost looks no different.

I will say that I really dislike the look of the characters in the selection screen. I think the the semi-cartoonish, semi-digitized look of Mortal Kombat 2 was great, and wished that they went with that, with higher resolution sprites, and the gameplay of UMK3.

But WTF do you mean God of War looks no different? Other than "omg a bald character sorta looks like a MK dude omglol" The game doesn't look ANYTHING like Mortal Kombat.

CarlosX360 said:
ONCE AGAIN.......

SCREENS OF MKA DO NOT DO THE GAME JUSTICE!

Shit.

Go rent Deadly Alliance, and Deception, then you can comment.

I had deadly alliance and played deception so you can now shut the **** up

Call me crazy but MK's horrible art always had some type of twisted charm that I liked about it. That said technically, the game looks like ass. Especially for a fighting game.

Zeenbor

CarlosX360 said:
With Next Gen Xbox 360, and PS3? Both 3D powerhouses!?

I have one thing to do: :lol

Digitized characters does not mean 2D characters ala MK 1-3/T. One can cyberscan an actor with an outfit, make any digital changes to the model, and then use mo-cap + anim touch-up to generate an animated 3D digitized character.

MK lost it's artistic soul after UMK3 (i.e. 2D). I played quite a bit of DA/Deception and while its nice/good in the combo and gameplay department, the art ruins it for me. I believe that if they brought back the old flavor of MK (realistic characters with mystic backgrounds) that they could recapture the mythos of MK.

eh I dunno if a mortal kombat game with character models as detailed as the smackdown games (in realism) would get anything other than an AO rating.

svenuce

Say what you will, once I hear some of the distinctive audio design in an MK title, I ALWAYS want to play it.

This one will be no different. It has the look and feel of one of the more fun and interesting MKs. I loved the last two in 3D...

And the sales numbers above... double them for worldwide sales. The series sells almost as much in Europe as it does in the States.

Hydro_Alexis said:
Then why did you go like "Who the **** are half these people?"
Ash Sparrow said:
I'm a huge MK fan, will I like Deception as much as i liked Deadly Alliance, been thinking about picking that one up.
Yes, you can even pick up Armageddon. :)

S-Wind

How ironic considering that Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks has been removed from the continuity.

The best game in recent times is not canon.

S-Wind

CarlosX360 said:
Hydro_Alexis said:
Then why did you go like "Who the **** are half these people?"

No kidding!

47 of those characters were in Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance and Mortal Kombat Deception alone! That doesn't include the hidden ones nor the ones like Stryker, Sheeva, and Motaro, etc. who were in previous mainstream games

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
everyone looks so buff and bitter and mean.

i mean, they all have MASSIVE sized faces that are oozing generic rage.

S-Wind

John Harker said:

Well, it IS an American-made game after all. :D

John Harker said:

Well, what do you expect from a series that revolutionized the gaming industry with its violence?

S-Wind

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
The only problem I had with the switching was using the white button on the Xbox controller to switch.

Huh? I could have sworn the default setting for changing stances is mapped to the Left Trigger button.

My Xbox is at my girfriend's house so I can't check right now.

Either way, you can customize which function gets mapped to which button.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
S-Wind said:
Well, it IS an American-made game after all. :D

Yup, the male fighters look like men and the women look like women.

Christopher said:
ew ew ew what happened to Lui Kang??
Why do people keep asking this question? Why don't you just ****in' play Deadly Alliance, and Deception to understand it? Hmm?

Who am I kidding, people are ignorant.

John Harker

CarlosX360 said:
Well, what do you expect from a series that revolutionized the gaming industry with its violence?

some skinny people that smile.

like the original johnny cage.
and sonya was lovely back then.

now, its all cyborgs and zombies and military men doing pushups and squats inbetween fights.

CarlosX360 said:
Why do people keep asking this question? Why don't you just ****in' play Deadly Alliance, and Deception to understand it? Hmm?

Who am I kidding, people are ignorant.

I'm not sure a lack of working knowledge of the complex and beautiful lore of Mortal Kombat qualifies as ignorance, friend.

John Harker said:

now, its all cyborgs and zombies and military men doing pushups and squats inbetween fights.
Hello, we live in america. Lets see, HALF of the country are so superficial, that they don't want skinny people on their favorite games. They want to see muscular mofo's kicking ass and taking names.

S-Wind

John Harker said:

I agree.

Overall, I think using rendered 3D models is an imporovement over digitized actors, but the main thing I don't like about it is how almost everyone now looks like they have several litres of steroids flowing through their veins.

Johhny Cage was muscular in the original, but he didn't have a lot of bulk and muscles on his muscles. Kung Lao and Baraka were quite skinny.

S-Wind

CarlosX360 said:
Hello, we live in america. Lets see, HALF of the country are so superficial, that they don't want skinny people on their favorite games. They want to see muscular mofo's kicking ass and taking names.
I realize that. But when virtually everyone on the fighting game's roster has the same body type and facial expression, it gets dull fast.

BTW, anyone notice that Sheeva seems to have doubled in mass?

John Harker

S-Wind said:
I realize that. But when virtually everyone on the fighting game's roster has the same body type and facial expression, it gets dull fast.

Thats just what I'm getting at. Its like, they just 1 generic body type for the males and 1 for the famles and just tweaked them to add some various differences (like horns and armor and shit, sure) but there isn't much variety - they all look like they workout together in the same gym.

karasu

The character design is painful. It looks like their bones are trying to cut through their skin.

Anyanka

Why are the designs and names so terrible from MK3 on?

John Tobias left.

How ironic considering that Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks has been removed from the continuity. The best game in recent times is not canon.

That doesn't mean much. They've always taken things from "non canon" sources and added them into the main story with little explination. Like the story is filled with things from the movie they liked so much they just added them in. If there's something about Shaolin Monks they want to introduce to the main story they will.

Ermac was an error in the first game apparently. I never saw it myself tbh.

Ermac being in MK1 in any way is probably an urban legend.

I don't have much hope for this game. It'll be a mess. Midway is sloppy with a roster of les s then 30 characters. They won't be able to handle this.

Joico

Anyone know more about the mini game Motor Kombat? It's using the character models from Puzzle Kombat and has character specific attacks for each kart. Raiden uses thunder, Scorpion uses a spear mounted on the front of his kart, etc. It has 10 selectable characters, there's more info in this month's OXM. MK Armageddon is the main article and Ed Boon talks about everything.

Top Bottom