• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Character Select Screen Leaked (Spoilers) [Update: Stage Renders]

Gravijah

fernoca said:
I'll better include some Kleenex in the OT then. :p
Smoke is introduced later so he's not part or even is at the "first" tournament.

Haha, I know it's not actually Smoke but it's definitely a grey palette swap of the klassic ninja outfits. There's no reason not to have it selectable!

kitzkozan

_dementia said:
Oh man, I feel like I'm on a playground in the 90's

I didn't mean it as a jab to SF, more like a jab at SF, BB, T6, VF5, BF, and the rest.

Inafune was honest when he said that company culture is problematic in Japan right now. MK has more content than any japanese made FG this generation.

Having more content than MvC3, BB, VF5,Tekken 6 or SFIV won't change anything for Capcom, Aksys or Namco. The problems are far deeper than that with japanese developers and it won't magically make it so they step up their game like some think it will even if MK deliver.

The team behind MK will have their own problems, and that's establishing themselves to gain significant stream time / hardcore community. Won't be easy to get the pros switching to an MK game when Capcom has ruled for well over a decade with vastly superior gameplay knowledge.

fernoca

Gravijah said:
Haha, I know it's not actually Smoke but it's definitely a grey palette swap of the klassic ninja outfits. There's no reason not to have it selectable!
2cc7f7.png

But we'll see. The leaked/ripped stuff is missing a lot of things.

Gravijah

catotheyounger said:
Are you implying there are multiple tournaments that take place during the story mode?

Yes sir.

fernoca said:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2cc7f7.png[img]

But we'll see. The leaked/ripped stuff is missing a lot of things.[/QUOTE]

Mortal Kombat team too lazy to put in a palette swap? I must have woke up in an alternate dimension!

catotheyounger said:
Are you implying there are multiple tournaments that take place during the story mode?
Wouldn't there be 3 tournaments, since this game is based on MK1-3 and each game is a different tournament?

fernoca

The Lamonster said:
I will be needing this on April 19, but not for tears.
Pics? ;)

EDIT:
Yeah, story mode retells the events of the first 3 games, through different points of views while things are happening. Is a cohesive story too; instead of you playing a character, finishing, then moving into another character to relive the story.

God's Beard said:
I'm so gonna main Human Smoke so I can see that glorious hair.
I want to know who was in that low res computer image photo of what looked like human smoke with longer white hair and the MK3 ninja outfit on, maybe his alt?

TreIII

kitzkozan said:
Inafune was honest when he said that company culture is problematic in Japan right now. MK has more content than any japanese made FG this generation.

Having more content than MvC3, BB, VF5,Tekken 6 or SFIV won't change anything for Capcom, Aksys or Namco. The problems are far deeper than that with japanese developers and it won't magically make it so they step up their game like some think it will even if MK deliver.

I do think it will have to change the game, at least some what.

After all, more and more, what are these Japanese developers doing? They're trying to find a means to cater to the Western market. If MK successfully completes its mission to royally "spoil" the Western demographic, then it's going to change public opinion on just what kind of things that reviewers and lay people alike will accept and expect in a fighting game package. The dedicated fighting game buyer may not need anything more than a Training mode and a decent netcode solution, but that's not likely going to woo the casual buyer (who makes the majority of sales) any longer. They're going to want their extras and their fanservice.

So, I'm thinking that the likes of Capcom, ASW and Namco will be willing to at least pay heed to what may be the next big thing that helps woo people. And it wouldn't necessarily be the first time that MK may have been such an instigator. After all, the likes of Akuma, as well as so many other secret characters that appeared in other Japanese fighting games, largely came about because Reptile lead the way in how a secret character can only help drum up more support for a game.

The team behind MK will have their own problems, and that's establishing themselves to gain significant stream time / hardcore community. Won't be easy to get the pros switching to an MK game when Capcom has ruled for well over a decade with vastly superior gameplay knowledge.

The main thing is, if the game is good, the people will play. And even if you don't get the likes of Yipes and Justin Wong to "switch", there's nothing that says that MK can't craft its own scene, its own champions and etc.

UMK3 was able to sustain its own scene completely separate from the Capcom scene in the last 15 years. If push comes to shove, this new game can do that all over again, on possibly a larger scale.

Khezu

Oh, my friend just informed me of why shang has that fatality. Apparently in MK vs DC there was some controversy over jokers fatality where he shoots you in the head, and they had to censor it to keep the T rating, and the clown thing is just a homage of it. Makes sense I guess.

Irish

robut said:
I was thinking of maining Shang, but my best friend hates clowns so that seals the deal :)

So... that means you are definitely going to main him now and are no longer simply thinking of it, correct?

Flipyap

Khezu said:
Oh, my friend just informed me of why shang has that fatality. Apparently in MK vs DC there was some controversy over jokers fatality where he shoots you in the head, and they had to censor it to keep the T rating, and the clown thing is just a homage of it. Makes sense I guess.
Isn't that just Shang's fatality, because the clown is about to rip its head off? That costume looks like a Baraka alt to me.

Khezu

Flipyap said:
Isn't that just Shang's fatality, because the clown is about to rip its head off? That costume looks like a Baraka alt to me.

There is another image of the clown floating around, it shows it shooting kabals head off with a revolver at close range. In the leaks from the demo, there is a portion that describes the first fatality for every character, it describes shangs as him borrowing something from a past opponent, IE joker from DC.

kitzkozan

TreIII said:
I do think it will have to change the game, at least some what.

After all, more and more, what are these Japanese developers doing? They're trying to find a means to cater to the Western market. If MK successfully completes its mission to royally "spoil" the Western demographic, then it's going to change public opinion on just what kind of things that reviewers and lay people alike will accept and expect in a fighting game package. The dedicated fighting game buyer may not need anything more than a Training mode and a decent netcode solution, but that's not likely going to woo the casual buyer (who makes the majority of sales) any longer. They're going to want their extras and their fanservice.

So, I'm thinking that the likes of Capcom, ASW and Namco will be willing to at least pay heed to what may be the next big thing that helps woo people. And it wouldn't necessarily be the first time that MK may have been such an instigator. After all, the likes of Akuma, as well as so many other secret characters that appeared in other Japanese fighting games, largely came about because Reptile lead the way in how a secret character can only help drum up more support for a game.

The main thing is, if the game is good, the people will play. And even if you don't get the likes of Yipes and Justin Wong to "switch", there's nothing that says that MK can't craft its own scene, its own champions and etc.

UMK3 was able to sustain its own scene completely separate from the Capcom scene in the last 15 years. If push comes to shove, this new game can do that all over again, on possibly a larger scale.

It will craft it's own scene for sure, just like smash bros. :p Still doesn't change anything for Capcom or Namco. Mediocre management doesn't change because of MK selling more in the west. Especially with Capcom having to outsource development of both SF and MvC.

Frankfurt

Banned
bathala said:
Is it possible these alt human forms can be unlocked through krypt

They're from story mode. Dunno about unlocking them.

And it is Shang's fatality. The description of one of his fatalities says he picked up a few tricks from a previous enemy. Sadly, those pictures were stolen from a private reviewer forum, and the guy is pissed they leaked, so no more leaks from him. I'm surprised that reviewers have the game since the Shang/Sub video and we only had those two tiny leaks (one video and five pics).

I'm spiking myself in everything besides fatality videos, myself, so the more the merrier.

NEO0MJ

Irish said:
I wonder if Shang's fatality is all about unleashing someone's greatest fears on them.

That would be awesome, but I doubt they'll take the time. Besides, who isn't afraid of clown, at least a little?
Hope that clown becomes an alt. for Shang, would be hilarious.

NEO0MJ said:
That would be awesome, but I doubt they'll take the time. Besides, who isn't afraid of clown, at least a little?
Hope that clown becomes an alt. for Shang, would be hilarious.
One of Shang's fatalities is
shown to involve him mind controlling his opponent into popping his own head off with his hands

NEO0MJ

RustyNails said:
One of Shang's fatalities is
shown to involve him mind controlling his opponent into popping his own head off with his hands

Saw that. I was actually talking about how companies(Capcom) always complain about making new models.

fernoca

_dementia said:
Are we sure Kenshi and Skarlett aren't on the disc?
There's no trace of them in the leaks; and Ed Boon, Hans Lo and Hector Sanchez confirmed it too (full downloads). ;) [unless WB decided to throw them at the last minute in the disc and then charge for the unlock keys, behind their backs]

And Cyrax/Sektor human alts are unlockable in game; unless something changes/changed recently.

KevinCow

Banned
Speaking of the Joker, if WB let NRS have access to him, he'd be a good guest character for the 360 version.

- He's already got a pretty creative and extensive moveset in MK vs. DC.
- He's an evil fucker, so I'm sure getting brutally murdered would be fine.
- He's an evil fucker, so I'm sure having him brutally murder others would be fine.

Though those fake pictures of Marcus Fenix in the game make me kinda sad that they couldn't work that out.

Kurod

Banned
Slamtastic said:
cool5c.png

cool6.png

Reused Joker fatality?

Lol that's kinda cheap NRS.

Didn't Boon say he really wished he could have used The Joker's uncensored fatality in MK vs DC? This may be just that (as well as a bit o' the finger to DC and/or the censors that kept it from the last game).

KevinCow

Banned
Kurod said:
Didn't Boon say he really wished he could have used The Joker's uncensored fatality in MK vs DC? This may be just that (as well as a bit o' the finger to DC and/or the censors that kept it from the last game).

I don't think it was DC or censoring keeping it out of the games. It was just that, as is, it would've bumped the rating up to an M.

Nemesis_

Wow, the clown looks so ridiculous and out of place. Feel like that's been dropped the ball on.

Also, do we know how Shang's transformations will work?

Songbird

Prodigal Son
KevinCow said:
I don't think it was DC or censoring keeping it out of the games. It was just that, as is, it would've bumped the rating up to an M.
Europe got the headshots uncensored. I believe personally that it's because there's a 16+ rating inbetween 12 and 18. If the ESRB had T15+ the fatalities would have been in full.

Plus the clown is really damn fake. Look at the contrast with the face and body. ...Unless it's a Krypt sekret?

TreIII

Nemesis556 said:
Also, do we know how Shang's transformations will work?

Part of a command throw sequence, and it allows him to turn into the one he's facing.

Yes, it's not like what we had back in the back in the day. But them's the breaks because of modern technology being what it is.

Kurod said:
Wasn't Joker fatality wasn't uncensored in the European version?

Top Bottom