• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Character Select Screen Leaked (Spoilers) [Update: Stage Renders]

fernoca

Yeah was posted earlier in the other (demo) thread. Is an official contest, with the models that they had around the european tournaments.

Kitana's the best...like always. :p

strideramc

arnoldocastillo2003 said:

Anyone else think that this was done as a test to perhaps sell WB on doing the HD Kollection? I'd imagine these would be the types of costumes that would be used in place of the older character designs.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...6566489415_117266501638089_615498_72070_n.jpg

(last rumour about HD Kollection was that WB stopped NRS from doing the HD Kollection for now because they didn't want the release date to be so close to MK9. NRS had already started some work on it and filmed a few characters even)

pandering much? D:

Anyone else think that this was done as a test to perhaps sell WB on doing the HD Kollection?
I'd miss the classic costumes, but I'd still probably check it out :(

Aske

Irish said:
Well, at that point in time, wouldn't Noob still be Subby?

I would be very happy if Saibot's alt was a Sub-Zero costume. Yes, I know it won't happen. I'll be content with the retro alt for my original Sub-Zero fix.

/Team Bi-Han

Slamtastic said:
cool5c.png

cool6.png

Reused Joker fatality?

Lol that's kinda cheap NRS.

Yeah except this time he actually shoots him in the face which is awesome.

KevinCow said:
Speaking of the Joker, if WB let NRS have access to him, he'd be a good guest character for the 360 version.

- He's already got a pretty creative and extensive moveset in MK vs. DC.
- He's an evil fucker, so I'm sure getting brutally murdered would be fine.- He's an evil fucker, so I'm sure having him brutally murder others would be fine.

Though those fake pictures of Marcus Fenix in the game make me kinda sad that they couldn't work that out.

No. There is a reason those things didn't already happen in MK v DC.

Nemesis_

TommyManberg said:
Yeah except this time he actually shoots him in the face which is awesome.

It would be really nice if people realised that it actually did happen in other versions of the game.

KevinCow

Banned
TommyManberg said:
No. There is a reason those things didn't already happen in MK v DC.

The reason was because the likes of Batman and Superman were in the game and DC didn't want those things happening to their hero characters.

NeonZ

kitzkozan said:
Having more content than MvC3, BB, VF5,Tekken 6 or SFIV won't change anything for Capcom, Aksys or Namco. The problems are far deeper than that with japanese developers and it won't magically make it so they step up their game like some think it will even if MK deliver.

I do think it will have to change the game, at least some what.

[...]

So, I'm thinking that the likes of Capcom, ASW and Namco will be willing to at least pay heed to what may be the next big thing that helps woo people. And it wouldn't necessarily be the first time that MK may have been such an instigator. After all, the likes of Akuma, as well as so many other secret characters that appeared in other Japanese fighting games, largely came about because Reptile lead the way in how a secret character can only help drum up more support for a game.

You're talking like all those games had the same amount of content. The Namco games, at least, since the PS2 gen, always had a lot of extra content, but that didn't have much, if any, effect on Capcom's fighting game revival at all.

Comparing Soul Calibur 4 with this game, the only thing SC4 seems to lack content-wise, based on what has been announced so far for this Mortal Kombat, is a lengthy singular story mode - and it does boast a character and costume creator rather than that. This game doesn't seem beyond the level of Namco's offerings content-wise and those didn't change Capcom's atittude.

fernoca

Nemesis556 said:
It would be really nice if people realised that it actually did happen in other versions of the game.
Non-US versions, it was just Joker shooting in the face and the other character falling. Blood was minimal, no gore, not much. For the US they just moved the camera to not show the character being shot. On this (2011 MK) version, the head explodes.

For the ESRB, that was too much for the T-rating the game was supposed to have so the team had to censor it. For PAL regions it was fine; since the fatality doesn't show the character directly receiving the bullet in the face.

fernoca said:
Non-US versions, it was just Joker shooting in the face and the other character falling. Blood was minimal, no gore, not much. For the US they just moved the camera to not show the character being shot. On this (2011 MK) version, the head explodes.

For the ESRB, that was too much for the T-rating the game was supposed to have so the team had to censor it. For PAL regions it was fine; since the fatality doesn't show the character directly receiving the bullet in the face.

Thanks fern :)

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot

Those are new to me, hot damn.

Especially Mileena, wow.

Cloudius12 said:
http://pdptournaments.com/index.html
National Mortal Kombat Registrations and to be streamed by Team Spooky

Holy shit, someone upstairs finally recognized that he's the best in the biz and hired him for something like that - so happy for him.

Frankfurt

Banned
On paper, the extras in SC4 sound similar, but in fact they are all hot air, as boring as unlocking the DOA4 stuff.

SC4 story mode / MK9 story mode = MK would win even if it were "only" as long as MKvsDC.

SC4 arcade mode / MK9 arcade mode = same stuff (SC had individual endings too, right?)

Both have a training mode, we don't know anything about MK's besides a split-second video.

Versus = MK wins, as it has all that load of variables, and tag can be played by four people even online.

Tower vs Tower = MK wins, as it is FIVE times longer, and has a lot more variety than SC's challenges. Plus you can use the rewards in...

The Krypt, which is also massive and gives anything from videos, new music, clothes, etc. Character creation from SC is better than this.

MK also has fatality training.

Both games have a lot of secret characters.

Character creation is great, but I wouldn't trade it for MK's Tower. Hell, I wouldn't trade it even if you doubled the ammount of content on all the modes in SC. MK's challenges don't get stuck in the same thing, they go far and beyond anything the genre has ever seen, and they look FUN.

Add the online in MK having 4-player tag and all the crazy variables (no arms, exploding ground, etc - the stuff that you get from SC's "big" mode), and I don't think it's even a contest.

I do agree that Capcom won't do anything about it, though.

_dementia said:
pandering much? D:

I'd miss the classic costumes, but I'd still probably check it out :(
I think they'd want to go with something a little more flashy than the classic costumes if they did do the HD Arcade Kollection. Thats just my guess. I also don't think some of those costumes made sense (like Sonya's MK1 and MK3 ones... what kinda cop wears that? lol), and some of them wouldn't hold up (MK2 female ninjas look too plain).

What I meant is that she looks like an aerobics instructor in those games. In this one shes a slightly slutty cop. And ughhhhhh that versus pic looks so ugly.

217770_202086566489415_117266501638089_615498_72070_n.jpg

I wonder if we will ever get digitized characters in a Mortal Kombat game again. They could make it like Fight Night which IMO is still the best looking fighter of this generation.

Somehow a part of Mortal Kombat died for me when they started using ugly renders instead of digitized actors.

GreggTheGrimReaper said:
I wonder if we will ever get digitized characters in a Mortal Kombat game again. They could make it like Fight Night which IMO is still the best looking fighter of this generation.

Well they were working on it (remake of MK1,2,3) as I mentioned before until someone from WB made them postpone it due to the proximity to MK9. They were afraid it would cause confusion. I believe the release date was originally slated for July on PS3 and in the fall for Xbox 360 (which tells you that they probably could digitize the actors fucking fast with the team size they have now plus the advancement of technology since they did MK3). Hopefully they pick up the project again after they finish MK9. It will only help if you guys let the NRS guys know you want it (@hecterrific, @ninjaboy66, @noobde, @MK_MortalKombat).

I'm sure flark is lurking around here too. Make sure you let em know thats what we want! :)

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
infinityBCRT said:
I think they'd want to go with something a little more flashy than the classic costumes if they did do the HD Arcade Kollection. Thats just my guess. I also don't think some of those costumes made sense (like Sonya's MK1 and MK3 ones... what kinda cop wears that? lol), and some of them wouldn't hold up (MK2 female ninjas look too plain).

Sonya wasn't a cop. She was a part of some US military SWAT team.

GreggTheGrimReaper said:

Somehow a part of Mortal Kombat died for me when they started using ugly renders instead of digitized actors.
Fight Night = Sports Game
Realism =/= Better
MK9 =/= Ugly Renders

But yeah, a modern digitized game would be very interesting. I'd like to see it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
infinityBCRT said:
What I meant is that she looks like an aerobics instructor in those games. In this one shes a slightly slutty cop. And ughhhhhh that versus pic looks so ugly.

217770_202086566489415_117266501638089_615498_72070_n.jpg

Got a high res for wallpaper purposes?

Platy said:
Brazilian leak ! xD
also .. why link directly to the fullscreen ? o_O

And ... these videos made me a sad and old player =/
IN MY TIME we had to buy magazines or write fatalities on paper ! The game didn't gave us fatalities like that ! ><

Discovering fatalities was so satisfying! But then again, I got tired after a while and bought Strategy guides.

Platy said:
Brazilian leak ! xD
After watching that vid again, it looks like that disc was stolen from a factory. The case doesn't have the cover art on it. Based on when the game went gold it just seems too early for it to be shipping to retailers already.

infinityBCRT said:
After watching that vid again, it looks like that disc was stolen from a factory. The case doesn't have the cover art on it. Based on when the game went gold it just seems too early for it to be shipping to retailers already.

The game went gold far before their announcement. If not plan on a delay. Manufacturing and shipping a game out to retailers takes some time and effort.

People actually found fatalities on their own back in the day? Like how would somebody figure out Sub's deep freeze thing back in the day on accident? I still believe Midway leaked them back in the day somehow.

The only one I ever did on accident was Sektors in MK3. I think it was blk-blk-blk then hk or something. I don't remember the exact buttons, but I got it by mashing. It blew my mind back in the day.

Frankfurt said:
Character creation is great, but I wouldn't trade it for MK's Tower. Hell, I wouldn't trade it even if you doubled the ammount of content on all the modes in SC. MK's challenges don't get stuck in the same thing, they go far and beyond anything the genre has ever seen, and they look FUN.

The genre has added mini games before.

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds said:
The game went gold far before their announcement. If not plan on a delay. Manufacturing and shipping a game out to retailers takes some time and effort.

Well if it wasn't certified yet, then yes. But from gold to shipping can take as little as two weeks from what I have gathered over the years.

ThatCrazyGuy said:
People actually found fatalities on their own back in the day? Like how would somebody figure out Sub's deep freeze thing back in the day on accident? I still believe Midway leaked them back in the day somehow.

Arcade, Magazines, Strategy guides. That's how people learned fatalities.

Top Bottom