• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Character Select Screen Leaked (Spoilers) [Update: Stage Renders]

ThatCrazyGuy said:
People actually found fatalities on their own back in the day? Like how would somebody figure out Sub's deep freeze thing back in the day on accident? I still believe Midway leaked them back in the day somehow.

The only one I ever did on accident was Sektors in MK3. I think it was blk-blk-blk then hk or something. I don't remember the exact buttons, but I got it by mashing. It blew my mind back in the day.
Funny enough, I remember figuring out the first half of Sub-Zero's deep freeze fatality by accident. I think I also figured out one of Sub-Zero's or Kabal's MK3 Fatalities which involved some sort of sequence of block and run. And I think I figured out Raiden's MK2 fatality as well where you have to keep tapping HP.

The way I knew UMK3 had Brutalities was due to Cheat code where fatality is mapped on each individual button, and then later via Strategy Guide. The only Brutality I've performed on my own is Jax's.

Araxen

Banned
ThatCrazyGuy said:
People actually found fatalities on their own back in the day? Like how would somebody figure out Sub's deep freeze thing back in the day on accident? I still believe Midway leaked them back in the day somehow.

The only one I ever did on accident was Sektors in MK3. I think it was blk-blk-blk then hk or something. I don't remember the exact buttons, but I got it by mashing. It blew my mind back in the day.

I know back during MK2 I learned all the fatalities/babalities/etc...from the Internet. MK1 came from game magazines for me.

Araxen said:
I know back during MK2 I learned all the fatalities/babalities/etc...from the Internet. MK1 came from game magazines for me.

Back in the day, some dude at my arcade had all the MK2 stuff in a little ghetto printed booklet. I assumed he got it from some usenet board (I didn't have internet back in the day). He would try to sell them for $5 bucks a pop. I bought one!!!!! lol me lame.

ThatCrazyGuy said:
Back in the day, some dude at my arcade had all the MK2 stuff in a little ghetto printed booklet. I assumed he got it from some usenet board (I didn't have internet back in the day). He would try to sell them for $5 bucks a pop. I bought one!!!!! lol me lame.

Wish I had a community like that though. When I was in middle school and hyped up beyond hell for MK games, all I ever did was trade my lunch for a drawing of Reptile from a Vietnamese, artistsic god in my grade.

Araxen said:
I remember my very first experience with the internet...I think it was 1996? Very first thing that I did was look up everyone's moves and fatalities for the GB version of MKII.
Good times.

DMczaf

I used to run to the Gamestop across from the arcade in my mall, write down moves and fatalities from the MK guide and then run back across to the arcade.

Pirating back when I was 10!

Gravijah

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Wish I had a community like that though. When I was in middle school and hyped up beyond hell for MK games, all I ever did was trade my lunch for a drawing of Reptile from a Vietnamese, artistsic god in my grade.

I used to sit in school drawing all of the various ninjas. They were basically colored triangles with limbs.

shuri

Banned
I was that guy selling move lists! Hahaha! Also Ed Boon hated the internet at first; i remember an interview from him in EGM about how the internet was going to take revenues from MK3 because people would rather get fatalities lists from the internet instead of spending quarters to figure them out.

The Smoke unlock code was figured out by people on the internet getting together and 'brute forcing' the code. Each group of people would get segments of codes to try, and so on.

Rumors has it that Boon was so pissed off that the code was found early that he gathered the entire team and had a massive meltdown, accusing people of leaking the code!

NeonZ

SC4 story mode / MK9 story mode = MK would win even if it were "only" as long as MKvsDC.

SC4 arcade mode / MK9 arcade mode = same stuff (SC had individual endings too, right?)

SC4 had an arcade mode with a specific opponent for each character midway through and a secret match, but no endings. Then, it also had a story mode for each character, including 5 different stories for custom characters, with a text intro, specific matches often with their own dialogue, exclusively designed opponents and a 3d animation for the ending.

It didn't have a single unified story mode showing the real version of the story using only 3d animations, unlike Mortal Kombat.

Tower vs Tower = MK wins, as it is FIVE times longer, and has a lot more variety than SC's challenges. Plus you can use the rewards in...

SC's tower had 100 floors, they were just separated in groups that had to be done at once. Each floor in a group had different secret conditions for treasure chests, exclusively designed opponents and sometimes "traps" as variations.

There was also the survival mode-like descending tower too.

In any case, I wasn't trying to compare quality, just quantity. Namco's games have had a lot more content than Capcom's for a while, but Capcom's hasn't reacted at all.

shuri said:
I was that guy selling move lists! Hahaha! Also Ed Boon hated the internet at first; i remember an interview from him in EGM about how the internet was going to take revenues from MK3 because people would rather get fatalities lists from the internet instead of spending quarters to figure them out.

The Smoke unlock code was figured out by people on the internet getting together and 'brute forcing' the code. Each group of people would get segments of codes to try, and so on.

Rumors has it that Boon was so pissed off that the code was found early that he gathered the entire team and had a massive meltdown, accusing people of leaking the code!
Rain fixed that.

Sorry for the question, as I'm sure it's been asked many times, but how many of you are transitioning to MK9 from the Street Fighter series?

I've never (seriously) played a Mortal Kombat in my life, but the game looks fantastic and I love all the added content that's included. I'm wondering if the two games have enough similarities to where it would be a relatively smooth transition?

Any insight on this is appreciated. Thanks!

NeonZ said:
SC4 had an arcade mode with a specific opponent for each character midway through and a secret match, but no endings. Then, it also had a story mode for each character, including 5 different stories for custom characters, with a text intro, specific matches often with their own dialogue, exclusively designed opponents and a 3d animation for the ending.

It didn't have a single unified story mode showing the real version of the story using only 3d animations, unlike Mortal Kombat.

SC's tower had 100 floors, they were just separated in groups that had to be done at once. Each floor in a group had different secret conditions for treasure chests, exclusively designed opponents and sometimes "traps" as variations.

There was also the survival mode-like descending tower too.

In any case, I wasn't trying to compare quality, just quantity. Namco's games have had a lot more content than Capcom's for a while, but Capcom's hasn't reacted at all.

Can't expect Capcom to appreciate Namco's offerings if no one else will. =)

luckyboyceo said:
Sorry for the question, as I'm sure it's been asked many times, but how many of you are transitioning to MK9 from the Street Fighter series?

I've never (seriously) played a Mortal Kombat in my life, but the game looks fantastic and I love all the added content that's included. I'm wondering if the two games have enough similarities to where it would be a relatively smooth transition?

Any insight on this is appreciated. Thanks!

http://shoryuken.com/content/mortal-kombat-9-demo-general-guide-street-fighter-players-3959/

Xevren

Pretty funny hearing about how people learned how to do fatalities. I ended up making a list and copying it to sell at the arcades, people bought that shit up.

Gravijah

I always hated how the computer just uppercutted you or something. Couldn't even give me the satisfaction of seeing a fatality.

Platy said:
There was one fatality that you only needed to hold a button xD

I think for Shang Tsung's fatality in MK2 where he transforms into Kintaro you had to hold block or LP or something for 30 seconds during the round.

NeonZ

DryEyeRelief said:
Can't expect Capcom to appreciate Namco's offerings if no one else will. =)

Eh... it's not like Namco's fighting games sold badly. So, the consumers appreciated their offerings. Capcom just chose to ignore that and continue on their own way. Unless this mortal kombat sells something really crazy (going past 6 millions or something like that), I can't see Capcom taking notes from MK this time either.

Is it possible to do the stage fatality in the demo on the forest stage? I noticed in the teaser clip someone was thrown into the mouth of the living tree.

Platy said:
There was one fatality that you only needed to hold a button xD
Mileena MK2 Fatality in the SNES was hold the X button for 3 or 5 seconds and let go and she would suck the whole body of the opponent and spit its bones out.

evilromero said:
Is it possible to do the stage fatality in the demo on the forest stage? I noticed in the teaser clip someone was thrown into the mouth of the living tree.
Dont think so. Ive tried and tried and no luck yet.

TreIII

evilromero said:

Not in the demo. Gotta wait til full!

Frankfurt

Banned
"Stolen from a factory"?

WTF.

DryEyeRelief said:
The genre has added mini games before.

No shit?

Not a single one so far has done a good extra non-fighting mode. Lots of them mean well (like SC), but they either feel hastily tacked-on or they feel like I'm just playing a duller version of the fighting engine.

Granted, I don't KNOW if in the actual game the MK ones will be fun, but they sure as hell LOOK fun, unlike previous MK, Tekken, SC extras.

Frankfurt said:
"Stolen from a factory"?

WTF.
The game had no cover art in that vid. Maybe it was by pure coincidence, but was curious nonetheless. The last time I remember seeing that happen on an early copy was NBA Elite which was said to have been sneaked out of a manufacturing plant. Afterwards a bunch more copies got on ebay with the cover included, apparently taken from a dumpster behind a retailer that was supposed to destroy the discs.

Blueblur1

infinityBCRT said:
What I meant is that she looks like an aerobics instructor in those games. In this one shes a slightly slutty cop. And ughhhhhh that versus pic looks so ugly.
They're all pretty terrible.

Platy

Frankfurt said:
"Stolen from a factory"?

WTF.

For some bizarre reason, this is the official explanation !

This article on a brazilian news site says that the guy (named Kaleb Mayara ) got the game because he lives near a "sony factory in brazil" (as said in a description change of the youtube link before he deletes it) wich the article thinks it is SonyDADC and that even the producer of the game got upset with this, saying on his twitter that he "worked a lot to be sure that brazil was treated with respect" and that he "can't believe what is happening" and that he is "dissapointed".
Kaleb now deleted his account on youtube and other social sites, one of those sites wich he posted this pic
vrS2V.jpg

ACH1LL3US

Platy said:

This article on a brazilian news site says that the guy (named Kaleb Mayara ) got the game because he lives near a "sony factory in brazil" (as said in a description change of the youtube link before he deletes it) wich the article thinks it is SonyDADC and that even the producer of the game got upset with this, saying on his twitter that he "worked a lot to be sure that brazil was treated with respect" and that he "can't believe what is happening" and that he is "dissapointed".
Kaleb now deleted his account on youtube and other social sites, one of those sites wich he posted this pic
vrS2V.jpg

So does this mean that Kaleb stole the disc? or someone else steal it then sell it to him?

Platy

I want to believe that someone else stole .... because he would not be so idiot to post that video and that pic if he stole ....

But then again i would never post a pic of myself holding a stolen game xD

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Gravijah said:
I used to sit in school drawing all of the various ninjas. They were basically colored triangles with limbs.

Same. Hell, I wonder how many of us accidentally invented Rain and Ermac before they actually existed. :lol

Platy said:

vrS2V.jpg
vindication! see, I'm not as crazy as you think ;)

Platy said:
I want to believe that someone else stole .... because he would not be so idiot to post that video and that pic if he stole ....

But then again i would never post a pic of myself holding a stolen game xD
Thieves incriminate themselves all the time, wouldn't surprise me if it was him, lol.

Top Bottom