• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat - First Seven Minutes (2021) | Movieclips Trailers

NahaNago

It's like a kids' movie with violence.
OMG!!! that is exactly it.

• Kid finds out he is part of some famous family
  • gets some training with a group of characters in order to fight the enemy
  • A kid gets tricked into letting the enemy in where they get their butts kicked
  • they regroup and come up with a new plan that mostly works except for the last part.
  • They win , the end.

The group of kids has the new guy, the girl, the comedic relief, minority character, bad ass, and the goody two shoes. They just lack the absolutely weird kid.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

It came up in my recommended yesterday and I started to watch it. As it started to play, I thought, "Wait, how do you make a movie of Mortal Kombat?"

Clicked away...

GamingKaiju

I have no idea who wrote the movie but this is so far removed from the actual game and the 90’s movie.

First where was the actual tournament, we had no ships, or Shang Tsungs island Shang Tsung over looking the fights. A whole movie and we didn’t even get a Tournament fight. Cole was shit this whole prophecy stuff was poorly conceptualised, like MK was never about a “chosen one” it was about the Tournament not some prophecy BS. Those markings were a stupid idea and the power you get from them.

Liu Kang and Kung lo were nothing even Shang Tsungs soul rip was done poorly. Raiden did nothing of importance considering it was his realm that was under threat he didn’t seem to care, only moan that the fighter weren’t ready IMO Chris Lambart did a way better Raiden in the original 90s movie. At least they tried with Sonya but even then she was done poorly getting cock blocked to the Tournament because she lacked a marking but could knock Kano on his ass.

Jax was a side character that added nothing other than getting his arms rekt by Sub Zero.

Where the fuck was Cage? We got Cole a no body but they couldn’t put Cage in? At least he could have added some humour.

Goro’s entrance was even a nothing burger like that guy was a sub boss in the game why couldn’t they get Goro rip Jax’s arms off In a pre Tournament exhibition match or something. Oh that’s right there was no Tournament.

Where the fuck were the elder gods or Shao Kahn who Shang Tsung serves it is him that wants earth. We got no never realm or outworld shots where was Kitana? She plays a role in every game except for Mk1.

Hanzo and Bi Han were done surprisingly well which makes the whole movie even worse because it started so well if those 2 would have loved to see Hanzo tearing his way through outworlds hell for his revenge. Liked the nods to their specific clans.

The fighting was done very well in some scenes but needed more to be more brutal this is what MK is about afterall it is about the Brutality.

Honestly MK11 did a much better story for Mk than this 90 million dollar movie did.

and it’s nearly 4hrs long. Should have just got the MK team to make another video game movie, probably would have been cheaper.

I could go on but meh 2/10

Last edited:
The first seven minutes were the best part of the film, sadly. Aside from that, the fatalities were pretty good too... but those are the only positives I can give.
Making Generic Guy into the main protagonist was a major mistake. Also the fact that they don't even make it to the tournament. I was around half way through the movie when I suddenly realized there isn't enough time to cover the tournament lol. Way too much time wasted on Generic Guy's story. It should have been a character we actually know and care about, like Johnny Cage.

The main character was pretty bad at fight acting, his fights were so slow and all he ever did well was throw. Scorpion and Sonya fights were leagues better.

Also I was confused by some plot points, isn't the baby saved in the beginning referred to as "sister"?

Cole is not the baby, he was born many generations later. But yeah, they shouldn't have mentioned the baby being female, only created confusion.
To make it even more confusing they also mentioned that the main character was an orphen. Figured Raiden just dropped him off in Chicago right after the opening scene.

My wife who watched with me, also had a wtf moment at the end. They didn't explain anything about scorpions back story and he just shows up with hell powers.

Laieon

This movie weirdly felt like a sequel to the Power Rangers movie from a few years ago, just with more violence and less robots.

As someone who isn't really familiar with the source material, I enjoyed it for what it was, but it definitely wasn't a masterpiece.

Last edited:

Fbh

Well this thread sure has lowered my expectations from "This might actually be a decent movie adaptation" to "I guess I still want to see the fatalities"

Well this thread sure has lowered my expectations from "This might actually be a decent movie adaptation" to "I guess I still want to see the fatalities"
Yeah, Just watch some Youtube videos of the fatalities and save yourself the time and headache.

You could also just watch the entire movie on mute and unmute during the fight scenes.

MrMephistoX

I have no idea who wrote the movie but this is so far removed from the actual game and the 90’s movie.

First where was the actual tournament, we had no ships, or Shang Tsungs island Shang Tsung over looking the fights. A whole movie and we didn’t even get a Tournament fight. Cole was shit this whole prophecy stuff was poorly conceptualised, like MK was never about a “chosen one” it was about the Tournament not some prophecy BS. Those markings were a stupid idea and the power you get from them.

Liu Kang and Kung lo were nothing even Shang Tsungs soul rip was done poorly. Raiden did nothing of importance considering it was his realm that was under threat he didn’t seem to care, only moan that the fighter weren’t ready IMO Chris Lambart did a way better Raiden in the original 90s movie. At least they tried with Sonya but even then she was done poorly getting cock blocked to the Tournament because she lacked a marking but could knock Kano on his ass.

Jax was a side character that added nothing other than getting his arms rekt by Sub Zero.

Where the fuck was Cage? We got Cole a no body but they couldn’t put Cage in? At least he could have added some humour.

Goro’s entrance was even a nothing burger like that guy was a sub boss in the game why couldn’t they get Goro rip Jax’s arms off In a pre Tournament exhibition match or something. Oh that’s right there was no Tournament.

Where the fuck were the elder gods or Shao Kahn who Shang Tsung serves it is him that wants earth. We got no never realm or outworld shots where was Kitana? She plays a role in every game except for Mk1.

Hanzo and Bi Han were done surprisingly well which makes the whole movie even worse because it started so well if those 2 would have loved to see Hanzo tearing his way through outworlds hell for his revenge. Liked the nods to their specific clans.

The fighting was done very well in some scenes but needed more to be more brutal this is what MK is about afterall it is about the Brutality.

Honestly MK11 did a much better story for Mk than this 90 million dollar movie did.

and it’s nearly 4hrs long. Should have just got the MK team to make another video game movie, probably would have been cheaper.

I could go on but meh 2/10

TBH I think the tournament is meant to be part 2 because MKII in out world is kind of whacky? Why not string it out said only an out of touch WB EXEC. Who knows though maybe they are meaning to drag it out and MKIII is the tournament having learned the wrong lesson from padding out the Hobbit into 3 films. This is like almost a prequel in a sense. Wasn’t terrible but it felt like they deliberately made it full of lore building filler and trying to make you care about generic MMA dude. It would have been a huge payoff if this was the Johnny Cage story and it’s like he just chooses JC as his stage name and decides to persue acting?

Last edited:

nkarafo

Just saw the whole thing. I was glad it was over. Terrible movie.

The main character is uninteresting, the other characters are boring except maybe Kano, the action scenes are generic, the music is annoying and never stops, there is nothing new or exciting about the direction, the story is forgettable.

It's so dumb that it feels like a children's movie where they added the violence on top of it the last minute.

I honestly believe the original movie was superior. At least it didn't feel like it takes itself so seriously.

Serengrad

Neo Member
Movie was awful, but I actually love Nitara in this movie despite only being in it for like twenty seconds and being merely a prop for Kung Lao's fatality.

If they ever bring anything from this movie into the game it should be her design.
9acfWsW.png

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Movie was awful, but I actually love Nitara in this movie despite only being in it for like twenty seconds and being merely a prop for Kung Lao's fatality.

If they ever bring anything from this movie into the game it should be her design.
9acfWsW.png
She looked like she came from that movie Beautiful Creatures or whatever it was called.

And nah, there are already some weird forgettable characters in MK10&11. We don't need more.

Last edited:
This movie is the Tombstone of pizza
Edible but leaving you unsatisfied. Perhaps this movie was volunteered to come out until the real mortal kombat movie.

Serengrad

Neo Member
She looked like she came from that movie Beautiful Creatures or whatever it was called.

And nah, there are already some weird forgettable characters in MK10&11. We don't need more.
I'm saying if they bring her back, use this design. Instead of whatever the fuck this is supposed to be.
DnOrx9n.png

i enjoyed it enough

but i wish i could say "now that was a fucking mortal kombat movie"

it's a cheaply made dumb movie that feels like a student film project

the two from the 90s still remain firmly planted on the throne

if people wanna watch a proper MK movie they should go watch those and they'll get.. wow.. they'll get infinitely more MK value from that than they will from this

zero exaggeration

however there was some awesome stuff in this

subzero was by far the strongest performance, the actor brought his A game

shit, he was the only actor that could have an A game

just imagine if everyone else was as good

i also thought lord raiden was great and very accurately depicted, but sadly underused

liu kang was meh and kung lao's actor was way too young to be kung lao

jax and sonya were the weakest performers, they seemed to me like extras.. so weird

they made reptile a lvl. 1 lizard that you can one shot with a fucking bb gun

shang tsung was okay

kano and kabal were fucking hilarious

scorpion was cool enough, which kinda sucks

the violence/gore was cartoony but liu kang's fatality was awesome

i do like the idea of cole as this new character because he kinda serves as like a vehicle for the audience to tour them through the mortal kombat universe and it's characters, the only problem is that cole is a little boring, not bad, but he could improve

all that said, i do want to see more

but in the same way i'd want to see more if this was a fan-made youtube upload

GamingKaiju

TBH I think the tournament is meant to be part 2 because MKII in out world is kind of whacky? Why not string it out said only an out of touch WB EXEC. Who knows though maybe they are meaning to drag it out and MKIII is the tournament having learned the wrong lesson from padding out the Hobbit into 3 films. This is like almost a prequel in a sense. Wasn’t terrible but it felt like they deliberately made it full of lore building filler and trying to make you care about generic MMA dude. It would have been a huge payoff if this was the Johnny Cage story and it’s like he just chooses JC as his stage name and decides to persue acting?

Johnny Cage being the lead character would have made sense. But yeh if they’re planning on making this a trilogy it’s a poor base to start from.

MrMephistoX

i enjoyed it enough

but i wish i could say "now that was a fucking mortal kombat movie"

it's a cheaply made dumb movie that feels like a student film project

the two from the 90s still remain firmly planted on the throne

if people wanna watch a proper MK movie they should go watch those and they'll get.. wow.. they'll get infinitely more MK value from that than they will from this

zero exaggeration

however there was some awesome stuff in this

subzero was by far the strongest performance, the actor brought his A game

shit, he was the only actor that could have an A game

just imagine if everyone else was as good

i also thought lord raiden was great and very accurately depicted, but sadly underused

liu kang was meh and kung lao's actor was way too young to be kung lao

jax and sonya were the weakest performers, they seemed to me like extras.. so weird

they made reptile a lvl. 1 lizard that you can one shot with a fucking bb gun

shang tsung was okay

kano and kabal were fucking hilarious

scorpion was cool enough, which kinda sucks

the violence/gore was cartoony but liu kang's fatality was awesome

i do like the idea of cole as this new character because he kinda serves as like a vehicle for the audience to tour them through the mortal kombat universe and it's characters, the only problem is that cole is a little boring, not bad, but he could improve

all that said, i do want to see more

but in the same way i'd want to see more if this was a fan-made youtube
The fact that the first 7 minutes and fight scenes are as good as they are leads me to believe the director got railroaded by committee like the Snyderverse. I liked parts of it but it reaks of WB’s typical MO of meddling and reshoots which is even worse during COVID. Just look at how much better Zack Snyder’s Justice League, BvS and Watchmen Directors cuts are: cut content makes for a disjointed story. You can almost tell the cinematography fight choreography and VFX are all on point and the film is at its best when there’s very little dialogue: visually its interesting but padded out with weird subplots.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I found it funny that Cole's daughter didn't look like his daughter at all. When they first showed her I thought it was his girlfriend or something like that.
She seemed too old or he too young. And when they introduced his wife I kid you not I thought it was his mom and then they started making out I’m like WTF?

mcjmetroid

The original movie was a lot better.

Obviously they were setting themselves up for a sequel that will probably never happen. The movie was constantly holding back plot wise and it's in no position to do that.

Main character sucked.... why did they create a new character anyway? Couldn't Liu Kang have been this character will a few tweaks? I mean you could have dropped the family angle entirely.

The one highlight was the guy who played Kano.
Honestly though I thought a lot of the dialogue in the original was funnier.

Some of the editing was really rough as well and I don't normally complain about stuff like that.

Overally it's not AWFUL just not very good at all. It's actually very lucky it didn't get a threatrical release. This comes off like a direct to DVD movie.
At least one thing you can't say about the original was that it felt cheap, I don't think it ever did it always felt like a big movie.

MrMephistoX

The original movie was a lot better.

Obviously they were setting themselves up for a sequel that will probably never happen. The movie was constantly holding back plot wise and it's in no position to do that.

Main character sucked.... why did they create a new character anyway? Couldn't Liu Kang have been this character will a few tweaks? I mean you could have dropped the family angle entirely.

The one highlight was the guy who played Kano.
Honestly though I thought a lot of the dialogue in the original was funnier.

Some of the editing was really rough as well and I don't normally complain about stuff like that.

Overally it's not AWFUL just not very good at all. It's actually very lucky it didn't get a threatrical release. This comes off like a direct to DVD movie.
At least one thing you can't say about the original was that it felt cheap, I don't think it ever did it always felt like a big movie.
Almost makes me wonder if they had only some stuff completed pre COVID and had to rush it to meet some arbitrary deadline to release on HBO MAX? It’s like parts of it seem high budget and then they were like let’s drop this well designed sub zero into the middle of Burbank?

Last edited:

YCoCg

This movie is great!

...to watch with friends and tear into. The violence was nice and hit the balance between being cheesy and gory. The opening scenes were the best part of the movie, no wonder they kept showing that off.

Scorpion and Sub Zero are cool, but I don't like dividing them into a hero and a villain. I liked them from the original movie when they worked together under Shang Tsung.
I'm sorry but have you like never played the games?

Even in the first movie Shang Tsung explicitly says that Sub Zero/Scorpion are enemies and are only working together because of his magic.

Sub Zero killing Scorpion and his family are a major plot point in the games.

Soltype

Finished it today, and then watched the 95 movie again. The 95 movie has so much more gravity to it, even with all the violence the new movie feels too weightless.

Finished it today, and then watched the 95 movie again. The 95 movie has so much more gravity to it, even with all the violence the new movie feels too weightless.
I rewatched it too. The thing that stood out to me was the music. The music in that movie got you fucking hyped before and during the fights. Especially that scene when Liu Kang starts fighting the lizard and you hear the voice from the game say “REPTILE”. It got you pumped and excited

This movie had none of that.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I'm sorry but have you like never played the games?

Even in the first movie Shang Tsung explicitly says that Sub Zero/Scorpion are enemies and are only working together because of his magic.

Sub Zero killing Scorpion and his family are a major plot point in the games.
I will admit I never followed the lore very closely so it's my bad. It's just them working for Shang Tsung (even if it wasn't done willingly) made the movie more entertaining for me instead of trying to portray one of them as a flawless hero character and another as an ubervillain.

They didn't even show in the movie how being in hell changed Scorpion for worse. I would assume that would happen to someone who spent generations in a place like that.

I rewatched it too. The thing that stood out to me was the music. The music in that movie got you fucking hyped before and during the fights. Especially that scene when Liu Kang starts fighting the lizard and you hear the voice from the game say “REPTILE”. It got you pumped and excited

This movie had none of that.
Yep the movie defintely lacked great combat music and the 1995 flick had plenty of that, not just the main theme most people remember. My absolute favorite has to be Johnny Cage vs. Scorpion music -

Last edited:

McCheese

She'll show way less skin than her OG design if she's in a modern MK game.

Unironically, this is one of the designs they could actually justify changing from a realism and practicality stand-point - she keeps a unsheathed knife like 2 inches from her fanny, she'd deplete half her health bar just by crouching.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
It's cool I'm drinking some good gin, but why is the movie almost 2 hours long..
I'd argue that it needed to be longer. One of it's biggest problems was the rushed storytelling and trying to squeeze in a dozen well known characters. Kano and Sub-Zero were able to shine the most and nearly everyone else felt like a cameo.

I had a decent time with the movie but I'm hoping the sequels improve upon many aspects and have more fun with the other characters...and inject a personality into Cole. I mean, someone in the sequel should point out and make fun of the fact that his arcana is to get an ass whooping first so that he can charge up and do damage back.

Alcibiades

I liked it although I agree with the above poster that it seemed to end a little too soon.

A lot of it is fanservice and it's definitely selfaware. Which is funny because they play it straight and serious despite all the winks at the camera.

I think they killed off too many of the characters but then again despite the ending it doesn't feel like there is going to be a sequel.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I think they killed off too many of the characters but then again despite the ending it doesn't feel like there is going to be a sequel.
This is still a fantasy setting. They could do many things like switch timelines, go to alternate worlds or simply resurrect chracters if they really wanted to. Plus many cool characters like JC, Baraka or Shao Kahn didn't appear yet.

We'll see how does the movie performs. I think they may give it another shot. ~90 million isn't a huge budget.

GloveSlap

All i wanted to see going in was some cool tournament fights in Outworld, which i thought was the bare minimum. Whelp......

ManaByte

I think I'm going to watch the 95 original tonight to wash the residue of this piece of shit from my retinas.

All i wanted to see going in was some cool tournament fights in Outworld, which i thought was the bare minimum. Whelp......
We kinda had a hint of one with Jax vs Reiko. I was hoping he would uppercut him off the bridge but nope...

Speaking of which, what the actual fuck was going on with Reiko's design?
Ezvpy73VEAk7XtS

Top Bottom