• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat: Jeuxvideo.com Update [02/21/11] (Impressions, Modes, Test Your Might?)

Replicant said:
And damn it, I want ALL of those alternate costumes (esp. Reptile's and Jade's) but I pre-ordered from Aus retailer and I'm not sure the code from those MK movies will work here.

It's very likely that all of these free pre-order costumes/fatalities will be available later for money on PSN and Xbox Live.

fernoca

Kuran said:
I wonder what happened with the previous 3D MK games.. why couldn't the art direction be like this? It's just a shame that it took this series so long to bring something on the level of MK2.

It deserves to do well. Personally I'll hold out for the PSP2 version... hope that doesn't count as port begging.
The previous 3D games were released as a result of experimentation, pressure, budget constraints, time constraints and quick development cycles.

For Deadly Alliance, they were in a position that they had to release the game no matter what. After the success of Deadly Alliance, Midway decided to release a MK game every year which put even more pressure on the team. Even when they got some help with other teams, they still had to divide their time.

DC Universe was apparently a concept that was pitched to them, with (again apparently) some money involved; which Midway as a whole really needed.

All MK games sold over 2 million copies so of course Midway wanted to keep putting pressure on to them. Kinda like New Line in the late 90s. After the success of the first MK movie; the studio (Threshold) was working on a sequel but had no rush. New Line wanted the movie out..like now..so we got Annihilation.

Art direction was quite good actually during those game, but with all the limits they had; they couldn't make it better (see Kung Lao as reference, were he basically look like his Shaolin Monks version; obviously more detailed); or DC Universe having some excellent comic book artists doing the artwork and designs, but that didn't translated well int o3D back then, even when this and that game were both (apparently) running on modified versions of Unreal.

And don't worry about the port begging in here. The team had PSP2/NGP devktis for quite some time and they've been big supporters of MK in handheld devices; so a port is expected more than anything. :p

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Replicant said:
Bullshots? Surely the game can't possibly look that good. I hope I'm wrong though.'

And damn it, I want ALL of those alternate costumes (esp. Reptile's and Jade's) but I pre-ordered from Aus retailer and I'm not sure the code from those MK movies will work here.
Of course. I don't know why they're pulling that shit a few months before the game drops, unless they're shipping a PC version too at some point.

fernoca

Resolution and aliasing aside the game still looks quite impressive even on YouTube quality pictures, so is not like they are completely misleading people.. :p

359jzog.jpg

And is not like they've been "doing it so close to release". They've always released hi-res pics all over the place, but decide to give higher-res versions to specific sites/fansites to post as new promo materials. :p

Were like that in previous games too, usually giving exclusive/hi-res pics to fansites like MKOnline or Kamidogu for their support and get more hits because of the "exclusive" aspect of the pics. People didn't went around talking about the bullshots of DC Universe, even when were released at the same resolution (1280 x 720) and as clean as this ones simply because the visuals were not as good overall as the ones in this game, but they were still technically as bullshots as this pics.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
fernoca said:
Resolution and aliasing aside the game still looks quite impressive even on YouTube quality pictures, so is not like they are completely misleading people.. :p

http://i53.tinypic.com/359jzog.jpg[img]

And is not like they've been "doing it so close to release". [B]They've always released hi-res pics all over the place, but decide to give higher-res versions to specific sites/fansites to post as new promo materials. [/B]:p

Were like that in previous games too, usually giving exclusive/hi-res pics to fansites like MKOnline or Kamidogu for their support and get more hits because of the "exclusive" aspect of the pics. People didn't went around talking about the bullshots of DC Universe, even when were released at the same resolution (1280 x 720) and as clean as this ones simply because the visuals were not as good overall as the ones in this game, but they were still technically as bullshots as this pics.[/QUOTE]
I can understand making pre-release mock-ups, but I think that it's a little misleading to do that after the game is actually up and running. Especially when the camera angles are so similar to gameplay.

SolidSnakex posted a pack of bullshots and Replicant called them out for what they were. I'm sure Netherealm Studios doesn't mind when people get confused but I'm not the type that does.

SapientWolf said:
I can understand making pre-release mock-ups, but I think that it's a little misleading to do that after the game is actually up and running. Especially when the camera angles are so similar to gameplay.

SolidSnakex posted a pack of bullshots and Replicant called them out for what they were. I'm sure Netherealm Studios doesn't mind when people get confused but I'm not the type that does.
They do it in higher resolution mainly for magazines. 720p looks like garbage on a full page spread. And its not that misleading considering if you put those high res screenshots on a 720p TV, its just going to look as good as the game. Whereas a game like Halo 3 which had some 720p w/AA screenshots released will look drastically better in high res screenshots than the actual game would since the actual game was running in 640p with absolutely no AA.

From what I can tell, MK9 runs at 720 with 2xAA and it also runs at 60 FPS, I don't think the image quality can really get better for this gen.

Cyntec

infinityBCRT said:
They do it in higher resolution mainly for magazines. 720p looks like garbage on a full page spread. And its not that misleading considering if you put those high res screenshots on a 720p TV, its just going to look as good as the game. Whereas a game like Halo 3 which had some 720p w/AA screenshots released will look drastically better in high res screenshots than the actual game would since the actual game was running in 640p with absolutely no AA.

From what I can tell, MK9 runs at 720 with 2xAA and it also runs at 60 FPS, I don't think the image quality can really get better for this gen.

Hopefully the loading times become better, because there are some real pain the ass...

Replicant

Just pre-ordered my Kollector's edition steelbook. I was surprised when the store manager told me that pre-order for the Kollector will probably end this week since they almost fulfill the quota. Talk about close call. I wasn't going to pre-order until next month but was reminded how I lost out on LBP2 steelbok because I waited too long to preorder.

Hopefully the game is good. I haven't been this excited for Mortal Kombat game after UMK3. 3D MK sucks ass. I hate having to orient the character over and over again before hiting the enemy. Character design post UMK3 also took a nosedive. Glad they finally do a proper design for this installment.

Frankfurt

Banned
GreggTheGrimReaper said:
i liked her original green, aerobic dancer costume:
Sonya.jpg

This, 100x.

The new one isn't bad, just extremelly generic. The green one has that balance between cheesy and hot. Or maybe it's just because the actress (Kerri Hoskins?) was super hot.

New Sonya makes Barbie look fat.

shagg_187 said:
I'm sure this is available as alternate costume, I can be wrong though!

Hopefully it'll come as DLC, because her alt is described as a tank top, cap, shades. I assume it's kinda like the lame MKvsDC look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEsyw2ug0o8

Riposte

Mortal Kombat has the incredible gift of making every female character look like she got a really bad boob job. This game is also pretty amazing already because you can make characters puke. This has to be hitting some fetishes somewhere.

Female Characters have always been a struggle for MK. Almost all of them are garbage, as every girl just has primary-colored latex wrapping around their bodies in unnatural ways. Seems Sonya has fully embraced this now too.

The only decent-looking female characters from a design stanpoint, that at least stood out amongst the S&M tropes that most MK female seem determined to adhere to, were Ashrah and Li Mei.

So I'm all about variety. I wonder if when you unlock alt costumes, the NPCs will randomize outfits to sometimes wear the alts...

fernoca

The Lamonster said:
So I'm all about variety. I wonder if when you unlock alt costumes, the NPCs will randomize outfits to sometimes wear the alts...
Doubt it. Previous games in the series and other fighting games don't do it, even when it seems to be something really simple to put into the game(s). But who knows.

Anyway;
Added Erica Cerra to the cast of the series. She hasn't said who's she playing just that she hopes people are not disappointed at her casting. She posted a pic of her and Matt Mullins (Johnny Cage) so it seems to be a character with some ties to "the good guys" (or a girl that was bad at first?).

She kinda looks like a 10,000 years old princess... :p

dlqon6.jpg

..but maybe that's just me.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
infinityBCRT said:

It's not. I can understand uprezing and AA, but the console versions aren't going to have super high res textures, ambient occlusion and volumetric lighting. And I'd be really surprised if they pull of the real time self-shadowing and hair physics.

Frankfurt

Banned
SapientWolf said:
It's not. I can understand uprezing and AA, but the console versions aren't going to have super high res textures, ambient occlusion and volumetric lighting. And I'd be really surprised if they pull of the real time self-shadowing and hair physics.

Who CARES?

Those look exactly like the game. Even complaining about Epic Games' bullshots (which look a LOT better than those MK ones) is retarded. Just stop looking at them!

fernoca

SapientWolf said:
But people that have seen and played the game live had already reported all those "things" self shadowing, strands of hair, hair psychics in characters like Kitana and Sindel with long-ass hair, etc.

Even in ultra-hi res pictures like this one, the scene is missing effects that has been confirmed to be in the game (like lighting and shadows of the branches being casted all over the place), while you can see many lo-res textures and blocky elements; so is not like the pics are even that perfect or impossible.

Maybe flarkminator can share some info regarding this. :p

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Frankfurt said:
Who CARES?

Those look exactly like the game. Even complaining about Epic Games' bullshots (which look a LOT better than those MK ones) is retarded. Just stop looking at them!

In this day in age with youtube, gametrailers.com, and all the other sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc., and the devs themselves constantly releasing videos, I have no idea why we're still complaining about bullshots.

Do devs release bullshotted images? YES! Can you go to youtube.com and find out what the game actually looks like in motion in less than 5 seconds? YES!

IMO a much bigger sin occurs when devs release a bullshit video like Bungie did with Halo 3.

RSTEIN said:
In this day in age with youtube, gametrailers.com, and all the other sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc., and the devs themselves constantly releasing videos, I have no idea why we're still complaining about bullshots.

Do devs release bullshotted images? YES! Can you go to youtube.com and find out what the game actually looks like in motion in less than 5 seconds? YES!

IMO a much bigger sin occurs when devs release a bullshit video like Bungie did with Halo 3.
Or Sony trying to push the Killzone 2 reveal trailer as in-game footage.

fernoca said:
But people that have seen and played the game live had already reported all those "things" self shadowing, strands of hair, hair psychics in characters like Kitana and Sindel with long-ass hair, etc.

Even in ultra-hi res pictures like this one, the scene is missing effects that has been confirmed to be in the game (like lighting and shadows of the branches being casted all over the place), while you can see many lo-res textures and blocky elements; so is not like the pics are even that perfect or impossible.

Maybe flarkminator can share some info regarding this. :p

I'm guessing they are disabling effects which don't look good when screenshots are taken at such a high resolution. The Gamespot demo from last year clearly shows the shadows as you mentioned.

fernoca

2/23/11
Casting/misc rumors related to the series:
-Larnell Stoval has some kind of involvement. Since he's a well known stunt coreopgrapher and martial artist (Goggle/Youtube his fight reel), he worked in the coreography in the original 'Rebirth' short and even had some involvement in the original MK Conquest TV series.

There's no confirmation related to his involvement, only a tweet by Shane Warren who is playing Cyrax saying the name and to Google for him "lol". his acting experience seems limited, but he's a good looking guy so who knows. :p

2crlz4o.png

(Larnell Stovall)

-A Twitter user under the name of JadedKrystal tweeted that Peter Shinkoda will be playing Sektor and Beatrice Ilg will be playing Sindel. Now, the involvement of that Twitter user hasn't been verified, so there's no confirmation or even possibility of it being real. Beatrice though, looks quite young to be playing Sindel; but with some makeup and the fact that she's a resurrected corpse in the games and she originally died/killed herself when Kitana was a child (meaning that she was relatively young at the moment of her dead); it wouldn't be something "shocking".

t9v821.jpg

(Peter Shinkoda)

2ypgoxe.jpg

(Beatrice Ilg)

Thanks for the bump...not that I care about the miniseries but I am hurting for some MK discussion. Sucks that the game is still like two months away!

fernoca

loganclaws said:
Any news of PC version for this?
No PC version, at the moment. Only PS3 and Xbox 360 at least this year. There are rumors/possibilities of a PSP2/NGP version for next year, so maybe around that time there will be a PC version.

Darkman M said:
Gameplay looks ass, still gonna buy though.

Glad you're buying it. But have you been following it at all? Everyone that has gone hands-on with it at E3 or Pax said it's super fun and fast. I've not heard one negative comment from any of these impressions.

fernoca

AAK said:
Why is there no Lateef Crowder? He was the star of that trailer with his Baraka!
They seem to be casting (and confirming stuff) as they are needed on set. Matt Mullins who was Johnny Cage in the original short barely confirmed his role and started filming a few days ago.

From the original short, the only ones missing are:

Richard Dorton ... Reptile
James Lew ... Shang Tsung
Lateef Crowder ... Baraka​

And they all has expressed interest in playing the roles again.

fernoca said:
No PC version, at the moment. Only PS3 and Xbox 360 at least this year. There are rumors/possibilities of a PSP2/NGP version for next year, so maybe around that time there will be a PC version.

I will ask Boon personally at PAX East.

Top Bottom