• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Mortal Kombat' producer explains why you won't see Johnny Cage: "it felt weird to have a white actor be the hero of the story"

mortal

Gold Member
06514144919f7167746c59cf01933979--reaction-pictures-frogs.jpg

Arkam

Yup. Expected. This why I rarely get excited for movies/shows anymore. Everything has to go through a fucking woke/political lens. It’s nauseating.

If you are a true creator, you create without such baggage. Hollywood feels like a bunch of second string interns that are just miming what (they think) they saw the talented people do in the past... and failing... hard... and they don’t even realize it.

It goes to show you that often times creators of a new product don't know shit about the product itself. As others have stayed, Johnny Cage was never the central character, it was always Liu Kang. It did center around the trio of Liu, Johnny and Sonya Blade though, yes, but prime character was Liu. We need less idiots like that and more people that know their shit.

Fbh

So not only did he not play any of the games, he couldn't even be bothered to spend and hour and half watching the 95 movie.
Disgusting. Almost sounds like racism.

You can always do the race swap test:

Lastly, one more problem Garner and his team had was the unsavory idea of a black character (like Jax) being the hero who saves everyone.

If it sounds racist....it's probably because it is.

Almost feel like rewriting history or gaslighting tbh. In the first movie Johnny Cage actually steps aside so that Liu Kang (played by Honk Kong-American actor Robin Shou) can defeat Shang Tsung in the final battle.

Maybe the journo was leading him on. "Why did you bravely decide on this POC actor instead of a horrible white man?" "Well I want to sell tons of movie tickets and receive favorable coverage from you and your lunatics, so let me tell you all about that..."

I forgot what a bad ass movie that was. Still the GOAT video game movie.

MMaRsu

Banned
He's on his Twitter proclaming that Johnny Cage isnt in this, because Johnny deserves his own movie/arc?

Sounds like some ol BULLSHIT to me

He's on his Twitter proclaming that Johnny Cage isnt in this, because Johnny deserves his own movie/arc?

Sounds like some ol BULLSHIT to me
Could you post the tweets? Are you saying the quote in this interview is made up or taken out of context? Is the producer clarifying things on twitter?

Cage isn't the protag, he's comic relief. I can't imagine the movie being any good if he's not there to lighten the mood.
It is rated R, I think they are going for a more dour and serious tone. They will have fatalities in this, no?

Personally, I'm staying away from this movie. Unless there is like absolutely nothing else to do. I liked MK1-2-3 as a kid. But I liked it cos it was cheesy and OTT. I am not a fan of gore, I usually stay clear of it. But MK is more like a violent cartoon.

Or used to be. I can't play the new games because they are so realistic with the violence. 90s movies were great because they were cheesy pulp fantasy.

Last edited:

8bitpill

This is just their PR agency giving them lines to pull in a larger viewing groups. Lines like this have been dropped by Studios, Directors, and Actors for over half a decade now. These type of movies are there to pull in the largest crowds they can, it's about numbers. These are selling points today.

Plus, Johnny Cage as a white hero :messenger_tears_of_joy:,

I never looked at this nerd,
johnny cage GIF

as cool or a character to look up too.

I was eleven just about to turn twelve the summer the original movie came out. Scorpion and Sub-Zero were roll models, goto characters for what was cool.

Zato

Banned
Yeah this smacks of someone talking out their ass, they don’t know what they are talking about.

Frankly all this woke wankery smacks of new advertising to pull in suckers who don’t see they are being manipulated.

Who gave them the money to make it and who takes the profit, the white man.

These woke fools can’t see they are still being played in what is still a white mans game.

oagboghi2

Why is it that after Mortal Kombat 1, people suddenly had amnesia about who the hero is in MK? It's not Cage, it's not Jax, not Sonya, not Scorpion, not Sub-Zero. You know who it's always been.

tumblr_oyuzsfmfDZ1rmrpdmo2_400.gifv

The fan movies, Scorpion's revenge, and now this new movie keep acting like he isn't. He's literally handed to you on a platter as a Kung-Fu captain america doo-gooder hero archetype and instead you say 'Well I thought Johnny Cage was the protagonist so I shelved him' Why did you think that? Who told you to think that? Someone who's writers can't think of a good enough backstory for Liu Kang to make him interesting and like-able for the audience. It's not that hard is it?
Seriously. This is bothering me.

Who in their right mind thinks Johnny Cage is the protagonist of Mortal Kombat? It's like saying Guile is the protagonist of Street Fighter.

He isn't. It's Ryu. Liu Kang is the top guy in mortal kombat. Why is the producers of this movie acting like the producers of the street fighter movie

It's stuff like this that screams "we don't know the source material".

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

Who in their right mind thinks Johnny Cage is the protagonist of Mortal Kombat? It's like saying Guile is the protagonist of Street Fighter.

He isn't. It's Ryu.

Hollywood tried that bullshit too, for multiple generations, to make either Guile or Chun-li the protagonists of Street Fighter. It took a live action youtube mini-series to get it right and they almost, almost struck a hollywood deal with how well it was regarded. Suits never know what the fuck they're doing and it's constantly upsetting.

To hollywood execs, writers, directors, and top leads: Yes, it's nice that you worked your ass off and were able to land a top gig at Hollywood, but you sacrificed not having any fun with the following: fiction books, comic books, video games, and TV, to get where you are today and now you're just a fool with a title and money who has to be spoon fed the culture you should have grown up on with everyone else so that hopefully you can appear to look like you know what you're doing and not fuck up everyone else's money by making the next Dragonball Evolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww crap, this kind of stuff saps the excitement I had for watching this film on HBO Max. Woke garbage everywhere, ugh. Hopefully "Nobody" with Bob Odenkirk isn't full of the same type of crap. That's the only film I can think of that I am excited to watch now.

ShadowLag

He isn't. It's Ryu. Liu Kang is the top guy in mortal kombat. Why is the producers of this movie acting like the producers of the street fighter movie

It's stuff like this that screams "we don't know the source material".

Not only this, but you have Kung Lao alongside Liu Kang most of the time, and even the "marketing heroes" of the series aka Scorpion and Sub-Zero are Japanese and Chinese, respectively. This has always been made very very clear in both the games and previous movies.

Total ignorance of the source material and virtue signalling dumbfuckery is afoot in Hollywood as usual, and MK gets to be the latest casualty.

spawn

He was never the hero. It sounds like they just didn't want a white guy in the movie except for Kano who is a bad guy

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It sounds like he’s not really good enough to make a film with him in it. Mortal Kombat games get made with him as a character.

Salz01

What a stupid thing to do. Let’s have a diverse cast but no Johnny cage because he is a white male. I don’t follow Mortal Kombat lore, but everybody knows Kang is the hero. The next Street Fighter movie won’t have Ken. Like wtf is going on...

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Virt McPolygon Virt McPolygon whats your stake in this?

Some of us here, like myself, aren't complaining because of agendas and politics, but because we are simply not happy a beloved character was axed for the completely wrong reason(s), and that goes back to the creator(s) not doing the proper 10 second google search to see that Johnny Cage was never the protagonist of any MK. Hell he didn't even get his own side game. So the question still stands, who said he ever was? Who decided that?

Top Bottom