• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat sequel Officially Set

bitbydeath

The sequel to last year’s “Mortal Kombat” film adaptation is officially in the works with Jeremy Slater having been hired to pen the script for New Line.
Slater served as head writer on the upcoming Marvel and Disney+ series “Moon Knight” starring Oscar Isaac and Ethan Hawke, was creator and co-showrunner of “The Exorcist” series on FOX, and helped develop Netflix’s “The Umbrella Academy” adaptation.

RavageX

Cole was a crap character, and his powers were also lame. I would have liked it more if he just wasn't in it.

I didn't think it was as bad as the first sequel, but it was close because of him.

I liked the rest of the film.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Unfortunately I think it is just us boomers who didn't like the reboot. All the college-age folks I asked who watched it said they loved it. It even has an 86% rotten tomato audience score lol

Polelock

Cole was awful, no interest in him at all. The way they did Shang Tsung, dude had zero intimidation factors. The original Shang Tsung actor form the first movie, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa looked to personify evil. No CGI just looking at him, he was a bad ass. This new guy was some dope with black contact lenses and a distorted voice that was grating on my ears. SubZero was the highlight for me. A truly ice cold assassin. Scorpion and Goro were also great. While I liked the actor that played Kano, he was an out of shape dadbod having doofus. Again, no threat. We'll see. Would love to see Kintaro or Motaro in one, properly

sol_bad

Unfortunately I think it is just us boomers who didn't like the reboot. All the college-age folks I asked who watched it said they loved it. It even has an 86% rotten tomato audience score lol

I really didn't like the idea of them having 1 super power that they could unlock and how Kano basically did nothing to gain his. Why do they have to be called powers or whatever? Just let them do crazy shit without any explanation, it's not needed imo.

What I dont get is Netherealm is not a "small" studio. These guys make millions if not billions in revenue. And they have Warner Brothers behind them so how come they can not hire a competent writer and more importantly an experienced director. Im not saying hire Christpher Nolan but damn, MK is one of the biggest selling game franchises and they gave the reboot to the guy that never even made a big budget movie, MK was his first and it shows. Id say the first 30 mins worked well and then it was downhill. MK9, MKX and MK11 all have amazing singleplayer stories...is it not allowed to use your own game writer to write the script for the movie as well?

MrMephistoX

Cole was awful, no interest in him at all. The way they did Shang Tsung, dude had zero intimidation factors. The original Shang Tsung actor form the first movie, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa looked to personify evil. No CGI just looking at him, he was a bad ass. This new guy was some dope with black contact lenses and a distorted voice that was grating on my ears. SubZero was the highlight for me. A truly ice cold assassin. Scorpion and Goro were also great. While I liked the actor that played Kano, he was an out of shape dadbod having doofus. Again, no threat. We'll see. Would love to see Kintaro or Motaro in one, properly

The MK11 aftermath DLC is so much better than this film because they rehired Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa to reprise his role as Shang Tsung. He was born to play that role.

Last edited:

mekes

I liked the first movie. I didn't expect anything good and it wasn't great. It has its own thing going on which were the lesser points of the movie, even if they were supposed to be the main plots of the story. But I managed to watch it and be entertained, probably in large due to my nostalgia for the games and old films.

I wouldn't rewatch the film but would happily try the sequel.

nkarafo

Hope it's better than the first film. Terrible movie outside that first action scene.
The so called "first action scene" is also overrated. People say it's good because the rest of the movie is garbage so the contrast makes it look good. It's not better or worse than countless fighting scenes in any random movies. And almost completely forgettable.

8bitpill

Gold Member
My guess is that Johnny Cage will have a big role in this, and the plot will center on him.
I don’t know. He was nixed from the first one because the producer didn’t want the film to center around a white male lead because Mortal Kombat has a very Asian feel (his words not mine). Which of course it does but the statement read more like they made a conscious effort to leave out Johnny Cage because he is white character.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/mortal-kombat-movie-2021-no-johnny-cage-explained/amp/

^^^
giphy.gif

Of course he will definitely be in the second one but there doesn’t need to be a focus on him at all. He is the humorous character in MK universe. One of his original moves was a split dick punch, which is a on going joke in that universe. With that said, he still could have been in the first one with out being a focus.

The movie was OK, at best. It’s not something that needs a major motion live action movie made based on it. Stick with the animated ones and go from there.

Last edited:
only worthwhile part of the movie was the intro 10 minutes. else its throw away.

the brand has the potential for many movies, but the effort and quality need to be there.

Top Bottom