• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X - Johnny Cage and Mileena renders / Character bios

ItIsOkBro

I thought
Sub-Zero became a Cyborg in MK9?

(MK9 Spoilers)

One became Noob and the other became Cyber Subby. And then they both died, but alas here we are. Well actually Noob didn't really die, he got tossed in a soulnado, something Scorpion survived. But he only survived because the Elder Gods saved his ass. And the Special Forces have the tech to uncyborg someone, which they used on Cyrax back in the days. So as it stands, both Sub-Zeros have an equal chance of coming back and they're keeping it deliberately ambiguous.

Bah...

The fact that Johnny Cage and probably Sonya, Jax and Kenshi are playable chars while their children are in as well really is a letdown for me.
Yo I'm hyped

did you not see the size of Jax?

He looks like a 7 foot monster he was always destined to be.
Better have a full tradition cmd grab variation

Compbros

Bah...

The fact that Johnny Cage and probably Sonya, Jax and Kenshi are playable chars while their children are in as well really is a letdown for me.

Why? Were you let down by Sindel and Kitana/Mileena? If they play almost nothing alike then what's it matter?

Compbros

No one plays MK for the humans or the weird voodoo characters. People play MK for the cyborgs and ninjas.

Don't know what this has to do with my reply and I also don't know if it's a joke but Liu Kang, Sonya, Mileena, Baraka and Raiden are among the most popular characters in MK.

Wish D'Vorah was one of the good guys, would have been a nice twist in terms of a scary looking bug lady fighting for justice. Scary = Bad in so much fiction.

Dr. Buni

Mileena's design is great. Both Kitana and Mileena finally got better designs. They needed to make the worst ones (in MK9) before making the best ones, huh?
No one plays MK for the humans or the weird voodoo characters. People play MK for the cyborgs and ninjas.
Speak for yourself.

One became Noob and the other became Cyber Subby. And then they both died, but alas here we are. Well actually Noob didn't really die, he got tossed in a soulnado, something Scorpion survived. But he only survived because the Elder Gods saved his ass. And the Special Forces have the tech to uncyborg someone, which they used on Cyrax back in the days. So as it stands, both Sub-Zeros have an equal chance of coming back and they're keeping it deliberately ambiguous.

Latest comic reveals its the younger sub-zero.. i just read the scans on /v/, also movado gets wrecked so dont expect him and havik is Reiko's Adviser/cleric.

ItIsOkBro

W7Mdnmv.jpg

Latest comic reveals its the younger sub-zero.. i just read the scans on /v/

Compbros

Fandangox

Latest comic reveals its the younger sub-zero.. i just read the scans on /v/, also movado gets wrecked so dont expect him and havik is Reiko's Adviser/cleric.

Wait what, wasn't the latest issue
just the Raiden fight with scorpion? I did not see Mavado in that one.

Oh nvm

Toxi

Banned
I don't think Sub Zero's packed enough knives.
I can still spot some small clean open spaces where he surely could glue on a couple more.
The funniest part is he can make knives out of ice.

Maybe he just likes to collect them?

Compbros

Because I thought there would be more completely new characters I guess.

There's still 8, or a third of the base roster, that's new. Would you have been fine with different returning characters? Because it seems you're letdown because they're blood related/descendants and not because it's another returning character taking up a potential new character's spot, which is what I don't get.

Kronotech

I'm with ya here. Adding Cassie was a perfect opportunity to take some from Sonya and some from Johnny, giving us a new character with some old character flare/move sets.

Also, fighting and performing fatalities on your dad, mom, child doesn't make any sense to me lore-wise. Sindel, Katana, and Mileena were obviously different as them being evil made it viable.

Compbros

I'm with ya here. Adding Cassie was a perfect opportunity to take some from Sonya and some from Johnny, giving us a new character with some old character flare/move sets.

But they did that while making her her own character. She has Johnny's Shadow Kick as a string as opposed to a special move, her "MMA takedown" is Sonya's MS stance grab from MK9, she has a reverse kartwheel from Sonya, green energy from Johnny, etc...But she is her own person/character while still being an homage to her parents, she's different enough that she couldn't be close to being called a clone while still incorporating some of her parents. There's not enough of Johnny or Sonya in her to exclude either character just because she's in.

Also, fighting and performing fatalities on your dad, mom, child doesn't make any sense to me lore-wise. Sindel, Katana, and Mileena were obviously different as them being evil made it viable.

Kitana is a good character so killing her Mom isn't as viable as some would think. Jade/Kitana are practically sisters, though not blood-wise, and aren't evil. There's also the Sub-Zero brothers/Noob Saibot and Liu Kang/Kung Lao as cousins. The story mode is the actual lore/cannon and arcade ladder's/versus can be seen as fantasy matchups or "what-ifs" if people would prefer to think of it like that.

Kronotech

But they did that while making her her own character. She has Johnny's Shadow Kick as a string as opposed to a special move, her "MMA takedown" is Sonya's MS stance grab from MK9, she has a reverse kartwheel from Sonya, green energy from Johnny, etc...But she is her own person/character while still being an homage to her parents, she's different enough that she couldn't be close to being called a clone while still incorporating some of her parents. There's not enough of Johnny or Sonya in her to exclude either character just because she's in.

Right and what we're saying is it's a little overlap (including JC's nut-punch x-ray). Creating Cassie as the child, and having 3 separate fighting stances, was the perfect opportunity to incorporate them without using two more character slots. Make her the perfect hybrid, and instead used those slots on two more unique characters. Not a huge deal but would allow some more unique options, ya know?

Kitana is a good character so killing her Mom isn't as viable as some would think.

But wasn't Sindel introduced as a villain? If I recall from the storylines, she was evil and thus allowed the storylines of Kitana fighting/killing her. I could be wrong of course as I'm not up to snuff on my MK cannon.

The story mode is the actual lore/cannon and arcade ladder's/versus can be seen as fantasy matchups or "what-ifs" if people would prefer to think of it like that.

Yeah I can see that as a "what if" match-up, sure, and they would obviously keep those match-ups out of the story mode. The vs would still be weird, especially when you factor in the new unique intro taunts. None of this makes or breaks the game for me, personally. I'm just more of a fan of having as many unique characters as possible (doesn't help that I was never a JC/Sonya fan to begin with).

It doesn't matter.

FINISH THEM.

ItIsOkBro

Me too. Well kinda. I'm more sad that so many new characters are family. Cassie would cool at first but then everyone else came along. But I guess that's how MK will show passing time.

Compbros

Right and what we're saying is it's a little overlap (including JC's nut-punch x-ray). Creating Cassie as the child, and having 3 separate fighting stances, was the perfect opportunity to incorporate them without using two more character slots. Make her the perfect hybrid, and instead used those slots on two more unique characters. Not a huge deal but would allow some more unique options, ya know?

But wasn't Sindel introduced as a villain? If I recall from the storylines, she was evil and thus allowed the storylines of Kitana fighting/killing her. I could be wrong of course as I'm not up to snuff on my MK cannon.

Yeah I can see that as a "what if" match-up, sure, and they would obviously keep those match-ups out of the story mode. The vs would still be weird, especially when you factor in the new unique intro taunts. None of this makes or breaks the game for me, personally. I'm just more of a fan of having as many unique characters as possible (doesn't help that I was never a JC/Sonya fan to begin with).

But then she's just "her father/mother + a little more" instead of "a character with a little of her mother/father". She feels much different from a Johnny Cage/Sonya Blade while still taking a little from both instead of feeling like a Johnny/Sonya hybrid. Kitana's Jade variation is what people think Cassie is or should be which I personally wouldn't like as much as she is now. She's a new character with a twist as is, isn't that much better than being Sonya/Johnny with a twist?

She was good/neutral (whatever Edenia was at the time) until she was killed and resurrected as an evil person. So Kitana killing her could be seen as her attempting to "free her mother" but it's still the child killing the parent. Sindel just straight up murders a begging Kitana in canon.

https://youtu.be/1NZs4rAQp7c?t=1m38s (1:38)

How can you ask for unique characters then want Cassie to be a Sonya/Johnny Hybrid?

Kronotech

But then she's just "her father/mother + a little more" instead of "a character with a little of her mother/father".

How can you ask for unique characters then want Cassie to be a Sonya/Johnny Hybrid?

Again, I think you're missing my point. They had already decided to create a "lineage" character of Cassie from Johnny and Sonya. I feel it was a missed opportunity to take some from both old characters and create a new "lineage" character (instead of also adding in those to parent characters). You don't and that's fine. We have different opinions.

She feels much different from a Johnny Cage/Sonya Blade while still taking a little from both instead of feeling like a Johnny/Sonya hybrid. Kitana's Jade variation is what people think Cassie is or should be which I personally wouldn't like as much as she is now. She's a new character with a twist as is, isn't that much better than being Sonya/Johnny with a twist?

And that's what I think Cassie could be. Add in more Johnny and Sonya remnants into her fighting styles and you've got all characters covered. Again, you've stated your opinion and I've stated mine. We both win here.

She was good/neutral (whatever Edenia was at the time) until she was killed and resurrected as an evil person. So Kitana killing her could be seen as her attempting to "free her mother" but it's still the child killing the parent. Sindel just straight up murders a begging Kitana in canon.

Again, apples to oranges.

While I do appreciate MK trying to dress its female characters in much more sensible clothing, Mileena was the one character I was hoping would retain a MK9-esque wardrobe. It seemed to fit her character.

Kotal Kahn da god.

And LOL at Cage being
Earthrealm's Champion.
. He's probably the only semi-capable fighter left that the Blundergod hasn't smoked for muh destiny.

IKizzLE

People keep assuming that Sonya and Johnny play the same as their mk9 selfs......as if kano plays anything like his mk9 self.

Top Bottom