• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X - Johnny Cage and Mileena renders / Character bios

Toxi

Banned
While I do appreciate MK trying to dress its female characters in much more sensible clothing, Mileena was the one character I was hoping would retain a MK9-esque wardrobe. It seemed to fit her character.
She's still wearing pretty little.

Also, there's a Shao Khan emblem on her tabard.

IKizzLE

Agree, Boon and team cant make a good roster even if it bit them in the ass.
I never understood this. MK is literally the only fighter out there that is willing to axe old characters while ryu, jin, Akira are in every sequel largely the same. People are ungrateful for 8 brand new characters and old characters getting completely new movesets while other fighters introduce 4 new characters and recycle the rest.

Hating on NRS is the cool thing to do.

I never understood this. MK is literally the only fighter out there that is willing to axe old characters while ryu, jin, Akira are in every sequel largely the same. People are ungrateful for 8 brand new characters and old characters getting completely new movesets while other fighters introduce 4 new characters and recycle the rest.

Scorpion and Subby take those spots breh.

sleepykyo

Is this persecution complex by proxy or something? Jin had a pretty drastic redesign between Tekken Tag and T4. Akira learned Baijiquan after VF3. Ryu is well Ryu in the same sense that Scorpion and Sub-Zero have been.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Is this persecution complex by proxy or something? Jin had a pretty drastic redesign between Tekken Tag and T4. Akira learned Baijiquan after VF3. Ryu is well Ryu in the same sense that Scorpion and Sub-Zero have been.

I''ll give you Scorpion but Sub-Zero got a whole bunch of redesigns.

I do get the complaint, though--having both the kids and the parents is overkill, and putting aside the fact that their "half the cast will be new" claim seems to be inaccurate, I think people had hoped/expected the new characters to be more unique or exciting than MK Babiez.

DR2K

Banned
People keep assuming that Sonya and Johnny play the same as their mk9 selfs......as if kano plays anything like his mk9 self.

Cassie plays nothing like either in any of her stances. I'm tired of females getting removed from fighting games in time skips. Sonya has every right to be in MK and there's no valid justification to remove her. Or any other legacy characters that helped establish the MK brand.

Compbros

Again, I think you're missing my point. They had already decided to create a "lineage" character of Cassie from Johnny and Sonya. I feel it was a missed opportunity to take some from both old characters and create a new "lineage" character (instead of also adding in those to parent characters). You don't and that's fine. We have different opinions.

And that's what I think Cassie could be. Add in more Johnny and Sonya remnants into her fighting styles and you've got all characters covered. Again, you've stated your opinion and I've stated mine. We both win here.

Again, apples to oranges.

But, again, she's not her own character, which is worse to me than being her own character. Why is it better, in your opinion, to make her a Sonya/Johnny hybrid instead of a completely different character with flecks of her parents here and there? Let's say Sonya/Johnny didn't make it in, is it still a missed opportunity? I don't get it, she, more than likely, feels and plays like a new character instead of feeling and playing like Sonya + Johnny. I will take option A, regardless of if Sonya/Johnny made it in, any day. Also, I'm gonna use your post to make a point really quick, I know it's a difference of opinions and I know it's OK to have them, why point this out? We're discussing our difference of opinions, just saying "it's OK to have a different one" is pointless to the discussion at hand. Everyone has an opinion, everyone knows this, stop pointing it out for whatever reason.

But why is that better than someone almost completely new? In the game we have Takeda Takashi, whom is
the son of Kenshi and trained by Scorpion. He uses chains in his fight style from what we've seen. Why would it be better if he had Kenshi/Scorpion's moves instead of this new fighting style?
. You're saying "make these kids have the moves of their parents and maybe a bit of their own thing and call it a day", I don't agree with that. I prefer to play a true new character instead of "X mixed with Y". It's not about covering bases, it's about creating a new character, which Cassie is. This isn't about winning or losing, it's about discussing why we feel one way is better than the other.

Soul Calibur V did what you asked, it took place almost 2 decades after IV and it had "new" characters that played almost or exactly like older characters and fans HATED it. They thought "this character just plays like Y so why not just have Y in the game"? So, I'll ask, if Cassie were to just be Sonya/Johnny mixed then why not just have Sonya/Johnny in the game? Why ever create her if she's just gonna be her parents?

It's still family killing each other, one instance of such has the child begging the Mother. People never found a problem before but now there's one.

EulaCapra

That's a rather...dated Mileena biography.

It doesn't mention a lick of what she's going to be up to for MKX (which everyone assumes is one of the primary antagonists).

ItIsOkBro

But, again, she's not her own character, which is worse to me than being her own character. Why is it better, in your opinion, to make her a Sonya/Johnny hybrid instead of a completely different character with flecks of her parents here and there? Let's say Sonya/Johnny didn't make it in, is it still a missed opportunity? I don't get it, she, more than likely, feels and plays like a new character instead of feeling and playing like Sonya + Johnny. I will take option A, regardless of if Sonya/Johnny made it in, any day. Also, I'm gonna use your post to make a point really quick, I know it's a difference of opinions and I know it's OK to have them, why point this out? We're discussing our difference of opinions, just saying "it's OK to have a different one" is pointless to the discussion at hand. Everyone has an opinion, everyone knows this, stop pointing it out for whatever reason.

But why is that better than someone almost completely new? In the game we have Takeda Takashi, whom is
the son of Kenshi and trained by Scorpion. He uses chains in his fight style from what we've seen. Why would it be better if he had Kenshi/Scorpion's moves instead of this new fighting style?
. You're saying "make these kids have the moves of their parents and maybe a bit of their own thing and call it a day", I don't agree with that. I prefer to play a true new character instead of "X mixed with Y". It's not about covering bases, it's about creating a new character, which Cassie is. This isn't about winning or losing, it's about discussing why we feel one way is better than the other.

Soul Calibur V did what you asked, it took place almost 2 decades after IV and it had "new" characters that played almost or exactly like older characters and fans HATED it. They thought "this character just plays like Y so why not just have Y in the game"? So, I'll ask, if Cassie were to just be Sonya/Johnny mixed then why not just have Sonya/Johnny in the game? Why ever create her if she's just gonna be her parents?

It's still family killing each other, one instance of such has the child begging the Mother. People never found a problem before but now there's one.

Hell we've been there in Mortal Kombat as well. Kira was Kano + Sonya. Everyone hated her for that exact reason.

Bardiche

Mileena's head looks to big for her body. Her arms especially look too skinny.

Mileena's arms were practically twigs in Deception.

I'm happy to see Mileena in this game. I just hope she continues to have a large role within the story, she's been sidelined too many times.

Griss

Sonya was always the worst of the original MK characters, but now they've 'blanded up' Johnny as well, and added a third bland character in her kid, who seemingly has nothing original going for her. The faces are terrible, too. All of this is pretty disappointing.

Bah...

The fact that Johnny Cage and probably Sonya, Jax and Kenshi are playable chars while their children are in as well really is a letdown for me.

Agreed.

Also agreed. I love the fact that they axe old characters. All fighters should do this, keeps things fresh. Even though Lucas was my main in Smash Bros and he was cut, I still appreciate what the game gains by cutting people out.

EDIT:

Agreed regarding Soul Calibur. Cut people if you want, but don't pass beloved character's movesets on to new chars that people have no emotional attachment to. That can only end badly. SCV was terrible at this, and it really spoiled the game.

Top Bottom