• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most boring Games you ever play it

sircaw

Banned
Oh gosh, this is going to rattle some.

Bioshock 3, loved the first two, this dull, run and gun game bored me to utter death.

Max Payne 3, what a labourous slog, i know people love the gameplay mechanics in this but i was brought up on quake. In the words of Shania twain, that don't impress me much.

Finally, and i hate to say this as a Sony fan but uncharted 4, i loved the first 3, esp no 2 but this, was like pulling teeth. Slogged through till the last couple of chapters and said enough is enough., uninstalled.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

Generally speaking I don’t play games that bore me more than maybe 30 minutes, but I’ve been tricked to play boring games longer than I wanted from reading critics reviews and liking previous game a dev has made.

Examples:

Shadow of the Colossus, the most boring game I’ve actually finished. Can’t even count how many times I actually fell asleep riding to the next colossus. I don’t care that the empty world is supposed to make sense storywise, can’t make a game about traversing an empty map. Absolute snorefest. It’s more fun traversing dead planets in No Man’s Sky. Could’ve had a meny where you just choose the next colossus to fight instead. Can’t believe there is actually a remake too without much added.

The Gunk, probably played it 2 hours, critics thought it was quite good and I liked the dev’s previous Steamworld Dig games. Simply too slow and not interesting enough gameplay-wise.

NHL 2021, a friend loves it, I never even got to any real match, was bored from the training alone.

Halo Infinite, so-so start, cool walking out moment when reaching the open map, then it just kept doing the same thing over and over and over. I thought it would pick up the speed since the critics loved it but after 16 hours of doing the same clearing of forts with the same enemies in the same type of environment I had enough. If it gets better later then why not start with that?

The Medium, I actually liked this, the maw managed to scare me good, but there was one area where you would go back and forth and direct water to different areas where I was so bored I would’ve dropped it if I hadn’t already played so much. It was already a slow-paced game but that was a severe case of wasting the player’s time, not okay.
When I Started the Medium, I thought it was going to be very promising, however it seems really more of a political message disguised as horror. Plus I encountered the bug in the water section you speak of and I had no idea and was running around like an idiot for almost a week wondering why I could not progress. There is a lot to like, but I wish it had really gone all in the horror aspect.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Hellblade (Really wanted to like this game as I loved their prior game enslaved back in the day, but really didn't enjoy it and the pacing and awful puzzle design just made it a slog)

Nier Automata (I forced myself through this game 3 times, due to everyone saying how incredible the story gets etc, you're all filthy liars! The music is good though, but the gameplay/combat is mega dull, the world and story is pretty dull/bad too, the theme park place was pretty neat though)

Order 1886 (it's apparently only a 4 hour game, and I couldn't bring myself to finish it)

Uncharted 4 (tapped out after Scotland, never had I been so bored in all my life, the crash sequence at the beginning was pretty amusing and sully seemed pretty cool)

Last edited:

Sorcerer

Quit playing Hellblade after the first 45 minutes since probably half hour of it were unskippable cut scenes as the lead character goes through her bipolar personality.

There was this free indie GwG game called Chariot. What a snoozer that was. Bailed fast.
Hellblade I was suprised to find out was more of a walking simulator. I don't count the battles as action because the fights are not that deep, it never varies, learn to block and roll and you are good for the rest of the game. Story was great however, and I wonder if they are sticking with the same formula for the sequel? Story wise I think they hit it out of the park at least.

Fredrik

When I Started the Medium, I thought it was going to be very promising, however it seems really more of a political message disguised as horror. Plus I encountered the bug in the water section you speak of and I had no idea and was running around like an idiot for almost a week wondering why I could not progress. There is a lot to like, but I wish it had really gone all in the horror aspect.
Political message?

The water section was extremely tedious. Can’t believe you stayed at it for a week.

tommib

I love the Yakuza games with all my heart but the stretches without any gameplay can be so long that it’s the franchise that I fall sleep to the most.

Fredrik

Elden ring. If you played one souls game you've played them all

I don’t know, I have a complicated love-hate relationship with Demon’s Souls and I don’t like Bloodborne but Elden Ring is still up there at my all time top 5 list, in close areas it can play like Demon’s Souls, or even a bit like King’s Field, but the open map makes it play more like Breath of the Wild and Skyrim to me, and the instant mount mechanic might be the most brilliant addition to open world gameplay since the paraglider.

Reactions: K2D

Freeman76

A game is boring because you perceive it is so. Just because you think it's boring doesn't mean a perfectly functional compatriot doesn't find it interesting. A lot of people need to get over themselves. Elitism in game is laughable.

Irony in its purest of forms...

Nickolaidas

Telltale's Walking Dead Season 1. By the middle of the season I was so frustrated with the fact that the story would put me in a scenario I didn't want and I simply stopped caring and had my character act like a troll.

I remember how in the beginning the story makes you basically 'choose' which one of two major NPCs you were going to befriend. I chose a side and after a while the NPC I had befriended does something which automatically makes my character reject her and expel her from the group (I didn't get to choose if I agreed with that or not - my character did it without my consent) and I was stuck with the NPC I didn't like and didn't befriend, and because I had 'rejected' him over the other NPC, this NPC now was all the time angry with me and gave me dagger stares all the time, and I had to live with it. And when ANOTHER NPC had a crisis of consciousness at THE LEAST PROBABLE AND CONVENIENT TIME TO DO SO, that was when I realized that Telltale games storytelling method sucked donkey dick and the writing was arbitrary bullshit filled with characters who accommodated the story (which is the very definition of lazy writing) and not the other way around (which is the definition of good writing). I simply stopped caring anymore and did the stupidest choices and things, knowing full well that it wouldn't change shit and the game would simply go on with the story in the exact way it wanted to.

Telltale games are bullshit, you do NOT control the story, you do NOT control the outcomes, and the only thing you change are a couple of lines of dialogue.

everyones gone to rapture
Oh yeah, that was monkey fuck, too.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

Political message?

The water section was extremely tedious. Can’t believe you stayed at it for a week.
It could just be me, but I felt the dev's had an agenda/message they wanted to convey more than they wanted to make a horror game. I guess there is nothing wrong with that, but I really felt when I booted it up and the character was in that mansion/house, it was going to be something more special in the horror realm of games. After leaving that house things started going south story wise for me, maybe expect for the girl she befriends at that aysulm/hospital. If you watch the ending credits you can tell the dev's had a deeper real life message they wanted to tell within the context of the game.

The game was going to leave game pass within a week, and I wanted to finish it. There is a bug that occurs if you do things out of order, I had no idea. I read you could go back to a previous save and fix the problem. Actually, that water section could be done in five minutes it seems, I have encountered more tedious gameplay in other titles.

Last edited:

Fredrik

It could just be me, but I felt the dev's had an agenda/message they wanted to convey more than they wanted to make a horror game. I guess there is nothing wrong with that, but I really felt when I booted it up and the character was in that mansion/house, it was going to be something more special in the horror realm of games. After leaving that house things started going south story wise for me, maybe expect for the girl she befriends at that aysulm/hospital.
The game was going to leave game pass within a week, and I wanted to finish it. There is a bug that occurs if you do things out of order, I had no idea. I read you could go back to a previous save and fix the problem. Actually, that water section could be done in five minutes it seems, I have encountered more tedious gameplay in other titles.
Okay I didn’t pick up any agenda, except maybe the no-ass woman in a leather jacket but that’s an industrywide thing. Didn’t know it went off Gamepass, sucks that you couldn’t play through it, I’m surprised they removed it, they really treated it like first party. In general I liked the game, felt like Silent Hill minus the action, sitting in the dark in a home theater setup and meeting the maw the first time was something else lol, I really liked how helpless you felt. But the water section was a joy killer for me, just plain boring there is no other way to describe it.

Last edited:
Sony first party games, the majority...
Re8...
From software games (Sekiro is ok tho)...
Metroidvanias...

There's so many games... Impossible to list them all...

Last edited:

Sorcerer

Okay I didn’t pick up any agenda, except maybe the no-ass woman in a leather jacket but that’s an industrywide thing. Didn’t know it went off Gamepass, sucks that you couldn’t play through it, I’m surprised they removed it, they really treated it like first party. In general I liked the game, felt like Silent Hill minus the action, sitting in the dark in a home theater setup and meeting the maw the first time was something else lol, I really liked how helpless you felt. But the water section was a joy killer for me, just plain boring there is no other way to describe it.
I got to finish it, I read about the bug and had a few days left, and I had to do the water section again, only to find it can be done in a few minutes if you do it in the right order lol!!!
Don't go by me, its just my perception, maybe I just wanted it to be more scary, and I'm reading into it lol. It's no Silent Hill 2 thats for sure. LOL!!!
I guess the developer decided it was time for the game to go. It was still 50 bucks on Steam last I checked. I wonder what the harm is in leaving a game on gamepass once its initial sales are done? Maybe Microsoft reduces the royalties after a certain period?
Perhaps you ran into the same bug I did and in your case it somehow fixed itself? Literally you can run through that water section in a few minutes if no bug is present.

Last edited:

Banned
some of the games that are boring are overhyped down our throats by the whore media that pad scores like there’s no tomorrow and hype bitches throwing hyperbole about games that the games don’t deserve. Also fucking devs that promise “your choices matter” or “you can approach the situation anyway you want” when in reality the game is so watered down that the choice doesn’t matter and mission design is such shit the mission isn’t interesting. Boring games are real, don’t fool yourself.

Preach Amy Poehler GIF by Sisters

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Everybody gone to rapture.
omg. I like walking simulators but wtf. What is this walking speed. I even used cheat engine to make running 10x faster.

Horizno games. Zero Dawn was better but FW gets really boring.

Last edited:
Animal crossing: daughter (she was 8 at the time wanted it for the switch).

Both of us had save files but honestly after the initial parts we both tapped out.

Halo Infinite. I completed the single player. Thankfully it was over relative quickly, but it was an absolute chore to play. So many weapons yet I stuck with the Mangler and any other basic assault rifle.

Enemies were boring, “open world” was disgustingly shallow (Christ even GTA 3 had more fun things to do!), it was empty with nothing outside of the baddies, set pieces were non existent.

I love Halo 1-Reach but really they need to just drop it like a stone. It’s like your favourite pet struggling. Don’t let it suffer. Put it down and remember the good memories

Garibaldi

The Medium. I just was bored senseless. It also failed to be scary imo.

Euro Truck Simulator 2. Boring as fuck, but that's what I love about it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Recents:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider
A Way Out
Pokémon Sword, Let's Go
Maneater

Kupfer

Quit playing Hellblade after the first 45 minutes since probably half hour of it were unskippable cut scenes as the lead character goes through her bipolar personality.
I'm with you.
I got caught up in the hype and wanted to try the game, even started twice because I thought I just wasn't in the mood the first time, but both times I stopped playing at the great bridge because it bored me from start to not-finish.

Also BF1, which came with PSPlus for PS5 owners. It had quite a nice intro but when I noticed there is no real campaign I quit due to boredom just shooting people in random scenarios.

Ni No Kuni 2 - didn't play the first game, but I liked the artstyle. Tried the second game but the gameplay was boring af for the first 2 hours. Never touched it again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom