• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most boring Games you ever play it

Sensates

Assassins Creed take the crown, just so disappointing time and time again considering how good the world looks.

In fact most open world games are soooooo boring, was a revelation when first introduced but now they are everywhere and all the same.

Zeroing

Banned
Assassins Creed take the crown, just so disappointing time and time again considering how good the world looks.

In fact most open world games are soooooo boring, was a revelation when first introduced but now they are everywhere and all the same.
I stopped playing assassins creed after the one set in America ( so memorable I cannot even remember the name).
I guess I didn’t missed anything.

The most boring game I played was just cause 4, game was also bad! Didn’t even finished.

You forgot to tell us what your most boring game you ever played is. Or did you just want to make everybody in this thread sharing their opinion on boring games feel shameful?
You are right, we all should feel shameful :)

I played Elex when it came out a few years ago. That was a very boring experience for me.

Godot25

Banned
I fucking hate all games that forces you to watch long animations of looting a picking stuff up. It's infuriating. Also I hate games with "floaty" character animations.

So GTA V, Red Dead II, TLOU 2, AC games, Horizon FW, before latest patch etc.

Batiman

Banned
I’d like to add a lot of Nintendo’s smaller titles here. Nintendo proves they can produce top quality games but a lot of their franchises don’t get the same treatment as Zelda, Mario etc.

Hyrule warriors. Both of them.
Yoshis wooly world
Kirbys

These games put me to sleep playing with my son. Doesn’t help that they perform like ass. Also the complete lack of challenge is just mind numbing. I know they’re targeted for kids but they can 5 year olds won’t have any challenge with them.

Launch version No Man's Sky.
Recore.
Every Assassin's Creed game since Black Flag.
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.
The Gunk.
Hellblade.
Most of the David Cage/Quantic Dream 'games', but especially Heavy Rain and Detroit Become Human.
Pokemon Sword/Shield (first one I put down and never picked back up again).

You thought heavy rain and detroit were more boring than beyond?

K2D

Banned
If this thread has thought me anything, it is that it's unfair to put one's own snooze, sleepyness, drowsiness on any particular game. At that point, your not giving the game a fair shake.

Some games deserves and demands more from the player. Which I absolutely respect.

My pick would have to be

Nier (Replicant)

It's slower than Automata, and more obtuse, from what little I have played of each of them.

//DEVIL//

Honestly, as of late, I am getting bored of most single-player games. Especially something like Horizon and its sequel. or spider man for that matter. I enjoyed Returnal and Halo a lot though.

I can't stand open-world games. especially the one that has no real story or objective. even in Halo I just went straight to the story. didn't finish a single side quest. if that game at any point started doing that I would have dropped it like a hot potato.

I am 40 years old. I do not have time to grab shit from Point A and grab a key and then go to point B at the end of the map and waste my time all the way through just to open a wooden door that I can probably crack open with 1 kick. these things in games make me want to slap the devs behind these games.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Can't really think of one but I saw someone else mention it and I have to agree, The Last of Us.

Not saying the game is bad but I am just not down with the ND style of game design. I only played a few hours and remember melodrama, forced walking, intense focus on animation for movement. Pretty much all the things I don't get hyped over and just kind of irritate me.

Impressive and engaging for some, a complete and total slog for others. That was the game where I knew ND games weren't for me and I just avoid them outright at this point.

Pretty much any open world game or one you have to craft in. Skyrim, Assassins Creed, Farcy 3-5, TLOU2, Minecraft, No Mans Sky, Monster Hunter, 2d sidescrolling indie games.

Tiamat2san

Almost every Ubisoft games of last gen.
I am fed up with this formula.

Recently, the gunk and horizon forbidden west.
Thé only reason I finished these two is that I was bored and tired.
When I am bored and tired I play boring games.

A game is boring because you perceive it is so.
rhel1-captain-obvious.gif

It's almost as if this is an opinion thread.

Keihart

Recently? is between Horizon and Back 4 blood for me, completely different reasons as to why tho.
(Didn't bother to finishing either tho, can't be bothered with so many good games waiting their turn)

Last edited:
Inside. Waste of $20 for 2.5 hours of baby's first puzzles
I agree with this. All the game’s puzzles are just different versions of waiting for the right time to run and it’s gets old pretty quick. The story only gets interesting at the end and I was thinking there would be like another half to the game where you play as the homunculus ball. Instead you get to play as it for two minutes and then the game ends. What a disappointment.

In fact most indie games end up being disappointing to me. I reckon a lot of indie devs have connections with game journalists, so all these artsy but shallow indie games get overrated in reviews. Only a few indie games that actually focus on being fun games instead of pretentious stories end up being worth my time.

HBx2000

SEA OF THIEVES
78-787031_sea-of-thieves-logo-large-ish-hungering-deep.png

I don't get why my friends like this game. I've tried it many times with them, especially after each huge update. They get excited and I'm just feeling numb.
Maybe I just don't get this game. Doing the same thing over and over again. But for what? It just doesn't feel fulfilling to me in any way like other games do.

Last edited:

zephiross

Horizon Zero Dawn, State of Decay 2, Days Gone. Forza Horizon 3-5. Avengers, Mass Effect 2-3 and 1 in the awful remake, Halo Infinite. Gears 5.

The list goes on.

lol at the person presenting a grayman strawman blanket accusing anyone that finds any game boring as an elitest. We’re allowed to have preferences, some of the games that are boring are overhyped down our throats by the whore media that pad scores like there’s no tomorrow and hype bitches throwing hyperbole about games that the games don’t deserve. Also fucking devs that promise “your choices matter” or “you can approach the situation anyway you want” when in reality the game is so watered down that the choice doesn’t matter and mission design is such shit the mission isn’t interesting. Boring games are real, don’t fool yourself.
Are you me ?

brian0057

Banned
I'm glad I played Resident Evil 6 in co-op with my younger brother because not even at gunpoint would I play it solo.
What a piece of shit.

Last edited:
Ryse is the one game I outright dropped just cause it's so freaking boring to play. Whoever thought to make QTEs THE central mechanic of the game needs to be Sparta kicked down the nearest shaft.

zaanan

Banned
Since I am experiencing this right now, Borderlands 2. Recently during an argument with an idiot (I know) about BL1 vs BL2, I realized I had not done any of the BL2 DLC’s. So I downloaded it and started a new char, intending to rush thru the game and then tackle the addons.

I am now level 24 and bored. Bored of all the constant chatter, bored of guns’ planned obsolescence, bored of the characters, bored of slag, bored of shit gun chests, bored of finding out yet ANOTHER person is homo/bi, bored of the story (I love Jack, but the story is a plot hole minefield). Basically, I have to ignore a lot of shit to enjoy the game, whereas in BL1 I was really into everything.

Also, the guns are very different from BL1, and not nearly as satisfying, so I would say the gunplay is boring compared to 1. They leaned too far into the outlandish, cartoony and “gimmicky” stuff, and neglected the good, solid feeling you got from BL1 guns. The few really good guns you can get are obsolete way too soon. And before another idiot says “nostalgia,” I keep BL1 installed and play it from time to time, so this is a current comparison. Why did they get rid of Atlas and S&S for fuck’s sake?

Hey, you asked.

No Mans Sky. Christ... there was absolutely nothing interesting about that game. I even tried it in VR. You could just tell everything was procedurally generated which added an even greater sense of uselessness to whole experience.

Petopia

Banned
Yes, which is why I was able to better contrast these as shitty entries with the superior games of the same genres I'd played before them.
Nah man I don't get you, answer the question again you do know what your getting into right, cause RPGs and musou games kinda have a thing of monotonous game play.

yamaci17

ac valhalla's second half became a bore fest not going to lie. its first half was actually very refreshing, inspired, fun, well written, nice narrative, going places. and all of a sudden world tumbles down and everything becomes copy cat for another 50 hrs. a bad ending where you dont even get the notion that game has ended. like, wtf? i have that game a solid 8/10 you know. its still a solid game. if it kept that story, narrat,ve gameplay quality in first half consistently throughout to the final and capped the game with a wonderful ending, it could've been one of the best AC games ever made.

harry potter goblet of fire. constant spam of drivel spells and weird wonky repetetive areas. spam spam spam. same for hp7 part 1 and part 2 games but WORSE

• Control - Tried two separate times to get into it. Couldn't get past the first two hours
  • Ghost of Tsushima - Surprising, really. I was looking forward to it and I love the vistas. The story and gameplay were too bland for me.
  • Horizon Zero Dawn - Couldn't get pass the first few hours. The mech monsters were cool, but the gameplay and story were boring to me.
  • Astral Chain - I tried so hard to like it, but I couldn't get past the first boss. I was in constant boredom
  • 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - You talk about a slow start. I played the first few hours and saw what it was doing. No thanks. The non-chronological story, time traveling, breaking down each character story in bite size meals and throwing them in a blender. Hard pass
  • Breath of the Wild - The first few hours are great. Until you realize that was the whole game... Like, you literally saw everything within your first few hours. It is then just copy pasted for 100+ hours of game time.
  • Monster Hunter Stories 2 - I really should have looked at someone playing this game before I bought it. Didn't last for more than a few hours.

DryvBy

Hellblade starts with the most boring introduction to a video game ever. By the time you get to play, you're ready for a nap. And then by the time you've killed one enemy, you've seen the entire loop outside of puzzles.

KXVXII9X

Cinematic games are terrible, incredibly linear experiences where everyone will come to the exact same conclusion. I agree.

I understand why they’re successful, the barrier to entry is low for games and shared experiences between friends, peers, coworkers, whoever is valuable.

They’re games in the slightest sense due to basic player agency.

They’re experiences not games.

They are valid and fine but don’t tell me a single player cinematic game is the best game you’ve ever played.

They’re exercises in masterbation in every sense, for developers and players. Tech demos with little gameplay risk and paired with a license or previously successful IP is an incredibly easy investment.

Financed by people who care about returns, purchased by people who want breezy experiences and probably, you yourself.

You’ve been played.

giphy.webp
Well those are your opinions. A few of my favorite games are indeed cinematic single player games and I have the right to enjoy them. My preferences are just as valid as yours. We all like what we like.

BigBooper

Since I am experiencing this right now, Borderlands 2. Recently during an argument with an idiot (I know) about BL1 vs BL2, I realized I had not done any of the BL2 DLC’s. So I downloaded it and started a new char, intending to rush thru the game and then tackle the addons.

I am now level 24 and bored. Bored of all the constant chatter, bored of guns’ planned obsolescence, bored of the characters, bored of slag, bored of shit gun chests, bored of finding out yet ANOTHER person is homo/bi, bored of the story (I love Jack, but the story is a plot hole minefield). Basically, I have to ignore a lot of shit to enjoy the game, whereas in BL1 I was really into everything.

Also, the guns are very different from BL1, and not nearly as satisfying, so I would say the gunplay is boring compared to 1. They leaned too far into the outlandish, cartoony and “gimmicky” stuff, and neglected the good, solid feeling you got from BL1 guns. The few really good guns you can get are obsolete way too soon. And before another idiot says “nostalgia,” I keep BL1 installed and play it from time to time, so this is a current comparison. Why did they get rid of Atlas and S&S for fuck’s sake?

Hey, you asked.
Yes, everyone else says how much better BL2 is than 1 and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because I didn't like it. I didn't like the BL2 classes either. They all feel generic.

manfestival

Open world games are typically super boring for me. I have a hard time playing them beyond a couple of hours. Took me years to beat GTA 5 and I had to force myself to play every mission to be focused. Another game that is SUPER boring is Assassins Creed. The only one I could be bothered finishing was Unity. They all seem pretty solid for a few hours and then BAM, snoozefest. Borderlands I always end up falling asleep while playing it. Have to stop myself and play something else. I guess to add another layer to this, survival(open world... wait aren't almost all survival games open world) games tend to be even worse than the aforementioned titles for me.

SSfox

If a game bore me i don't continue play it, so i would probably forgot about it, if that answer the question.

Boss Mog

I've only fallen asleep while playing a game twice in my life, years apart, but both times it was FF8, i still haven't beaten it to this day.

Top Bottom