• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most impressive 3D-Games for the Sega Saturn

• Thread starter SpongebobSquaredance
  • Start date
Could you imagine the pressure on STI of being a western team tasked to not only bring Sonic into the next generation but in 3D?! On the mess that was the Saturn?! It's been 20-something years, and many would say Sega STILL hasn't fully nailed Sonic in 3D themselves! I think I'll give STI a pass on this one.
STI was meant to be one of the elite teams at SEGA and in the end, a tiny 3D party studio in the UK did a better job of making a 3D Sonic game and pushing the hardware with out the need to look for the use of NiGHTS engine
I do feel a little sorry for STI mind as at 1st SEGA America wanted it for the 32X and also a Mega Drive version, then a PC version and then a PC and Saturn version. It's a perfect example of how not to manage a team or project and worse still SEGA America looked for the Japanese arm of the Sonic Team to waste their time with Chaotix, when in my view SEGA Japan should have them working on an early Sonic game for the Saturn, like how the team made Sonic CD outside of the main Sonic Team

Then look at the money SEGA America wasted on the Multi-Media studio a studio set up at a huge cost, with I think at the time the biggest order for SGI machines outside of ILM and for what? One great game and one utter tripe game and then for the studio do nothing on the 32-bit gen (other than some music tracks)

Don't fall for Tom's lies. He totally mismanaged SEGA transition to the next gen. No way could SEGA beat SONY, but the Saturn could have come a nice 2nd if SEGA America had its act together IMO

RetroAV

STI was meant to be one of the elite teams at SEGA and in the end, a tiny 3D party studio in the UK did a better job of making a 3D Sonic game and pushing the hardware with out the need to look for the use of NiGHTS engine

STI was elite...with 2D...on a Genesis. 3D and Saturn were a completely different story! Yes, Traveller's Tales were able to push the Saturn more than STI. Rare was able to push the N64 more than Nintendo! Namco pushed PS1 more than Sony. It happens.

I do feel a little sorry for STI mind as at 1st SEGA America wanted it for the 32X and also a Mega Drive version, then a PC version and then a PC and Saturn version. It's a perfect example of how not to manage a team or project and worse still SEGA America looked for the Japanese arm of the Sonic Team to waste their time with Chaotix, when in my view SEGA Japan should have them working on an early Sonic game for the Saturn, like how the team made Sonic CD outside of the main Sonic Team

Kalinske didn't believe in Saturn. The 32X was coming out first, it was cheaper, and it needed software to sell the hardware. If the 32X had become a hit, it could have helped Sega recoup some of the loss the Saturn would bring. If Sonic Team didn't release Chaotix on the 32X they would have just released it on the Saturn. Regardless, Sonic Team was focused on moving on from Sonic. At least we got NiGHTS & Burning Rangers out of it!

Then look at the money SEGA America wasted on the Multi-Media studio a studio set up at a huge cost, with I think at the time the biggest order for SGI machines outside of ILM and for what? One great game and one utter tripe game and then for the studio do nothing on the 32-bit gen (other than some music tracks)

Don't fall for Tom's lies. He totally mismanaged SEGA transition to the next gen. No way could SEGA beat SONY, but the Saturn could have come a nice 2nd if SEGA America had its act together IMO

I can't say Tom mismanaged the transition when he clearly pointed out all the issues with the Saturn to Sega of Japan beforehand! I will agree with you on one thing though, no matter how well Sega would have played it, Sony just had the right product, at the right time, at the right price.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Another notable game is Alien Trilogy, which looks very good for a 1996 console release. Comes with a nice soundtrack and actually builds a dense atmosphere. For a "Doom clone" this is very good IMO. I've played it on Playstation though but seems like the Saturn version is about the same.

The 32X was coming out first, it was cheaper, and it needed software to sell the hardware. If the 32X had become a hit, it could have helped Sega recoup some of the loss the Saturn would bring.
The 32X shouldn't have been made in the first place. Releasing it months before the launch of the Saturn after already underutilizing the Sega CD was just a bad idea. All the resources should have gone straight to the Saturn. It smelled like a fad from a million miles away.

Last edited by a moderator:
STI was elite...with 2D...on a Genesis. 3D and Saturn were a completely different story! Yes, Traveller's Tales were able to push the Saturn more than STI. Rare was able to push the N64 more than Nintendo! Namco pushed PS1 more than Sony. It happens.

Kalinske didn't believe in Saturn. The 32X was coming out first, it was cheaper, and it needed software to sell the hardware. If the 32X had become a hit, it could have helped Sega recoup some of the loss the Saturn would bring. If Sonic Team didn't release Chaotix on the 32X they would have just released it on the Saturn. Regardless, Sonic Team was focused on moving on from Sonic. At least we got NiGHTS & Burning Rangers out of it!

I can't say Tom mismanaged the transition when he clearly pointed out all the issues with the Saturn to Sega of Japan beforehand! I will agree with you on one thing though, no matter how well Sega would have played it, Sony just had the right product, at the right time, at the right price.

You're hardly elite if you couldn't handle the transition from 2D to 3D. Have a look at what a tiny corp like CORE Design was able to do with their early 3D games even making Tomb Raider in 96 and it puts to shame STI and all with nothing like the backing an In-House team would have. Tom just made a terrible call he thought people wouldn't be ready or willing to pay for the expensive next-gen systems and thought the 32X would crush everything, he was wrong people not only had the money, but they were also desperate to leave the 16 bit era behind them (please don't bring up the SNES it came 2 years after the Mega Drive and NCL had to delay the N64 launch by over a year)

SEGA Japan needed a kicking for allowing Sonic to be made by Sega America, listening to them over the 32X when SOJ wanted to focus on the Saturn (yes I know the 32X was 1st proposed by SOJ) and for allowing Sony to get Squaresoft to make FF7 on the PS and not the Saturn, despite SEGA having a 2 million userbase adv in Japan and all because SONY was more ready and willing to push the game hard in the USA than SEGA Japan

Hunnybun

I do agree with most of what you wrote except this part. I never thought of the Saturn being good at frame rates. I do remember Wipeout Saturn running at 20 fps on it while Wipeout 64 was solid 30. Saturn's FPS games weren't smooth either. While the Saturn ports are better, both Quake and Duke Nukem run smoother on the N64. The N64 also has the super smooth DOOM64, which completely destroys both the PS1 and Saturn versions. Or even the PC version.

The N64 has the reputation of bad frame rates mostly because of a few games by RARE and the shitty Turok 2. Because these games were so popular, it got that rep. The expansion pack didn't help things either since most devs used it the wrong way, pushing high-res versions the N64 couldn't handle. Plus, near the end of it's life, the N64 had to compete with PC and Dreamcast and because "the N64 is more powerful than the PS1" devs tried to prove themselves by pushing it's 3D graphics further, mimicking the standards of PC games in 1998/99. Some games did look and run great though, like the Shadowman port, which runs great even in high-res. World Driver Championship looks more advanced than any Saturn/PS1 racer and runs as smoothly. You posted Sega Rally but World Driver championship looks almost like a cross-gen title in comparison. The poly count difference between the two is vast.

N64 was also a more western oriented console. It's biggest 3rd parties were western devs. it's Japanese 3rd party support was probably the worst in console history. And at the time, western games were more "janky". Japanese devs would make their games look and feel more "gracious". All you have to do is compare all the 3D Fighting games that were developed in Japan VS the western ones.

It was not an issue with the console itself. All three consoles would have their fair share of badly running games.

At the time I thought N64 games looked significantly better than pretty much anything on PSX or the Saturn.

I'm sure PlayStation had some capabilities that were better, but for me the fact that everything was shimmering, aliased and even fucking pixellated made pretty much everything on them absolutely ugly, even at the time.

I suppose to a large extent it's a matter of taste. But for me something like Mario 64 looked way better than anything else on the other consoles.

What I've never understood about the Saturn is why Sega didn't already have a plan in place for a mid-range 3D-capable arcade board that they could have turned into a home console. Why were they in a position of panicking and scrambling to adapt the Saturn hardware to 3D at the last minute instead of having something suitable already in development on the arcade side of the business? Why was the ST-V modeled after the Saturn instead of the other way around?

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

What I've never understood about the Saturn is why Sega didn't already have a plan in place for a mid-range 3D-capable arcade board that they could have turned into a home console. Why were they in a position of panicking and scrambling to adapt the Saturn hardware to 3D at the last minute instead of having something suitable already in development on the arcade side of the business? Why was the ST-V modeled after the Saturn instead of the other way around?
Its because they under-estimated how big 3d would take off....even though they were on the cutting edge of the tech circa 1992-1993 with Virtua Racing, and Virtua Fighter...keep in mind that from the off when the project started in 1992 it would have likely only had 3d capabilities on par with the 32x....soon as they saw Sony upping their game, they thought "dam we need to add more here..." and so everything was thrown hap-hazardly...this is what I can't understand they had a good roadmap when building out the Genesis./Megadrive in the mid-80s, and yet that all went out the window with the Saturn..what were they playing at between 1992-1994???

The Saturn was a failure of such proportions that by the time its successor came out, Sega no longer had the muscle to compete and the Dreamcast had virtually no margin for error...

Last edited:
Its because they under-estimated how big 3d would take off....even though they were on the cutting edge of the tech circa 1992-1993 with Virtua Racing, and Virtua Fighter...keep in mind that from the off when the project started in 1992 it would have likely only had 3d capabilities on par with the 32x....soon as they saw Sony upping their game, they thought "dam we need to add more here..." and so everything was thrown hap-hazardly...this is what I can't understand they had a good roadmap when building out the Genesis./Megadrive in the mid-80s, and yet that all went out the window with the Saturn..what were they playing at between 1992-1994???

The Saturn was a failure of such proportions that by the time its successor came out, Sega no longer had the muscle to compete and the Dreamcast had virtually no margin for error...
The Saturn was going to be much more powerful than the 32X even in its early design it was going to handle over 400,000 Hardware sprites (that on its own would give decent 3D), 32 sound channels and 5 background playfields
You also underplay how powerful and advanced the Saturn was, it was not far off SONY PS polygon pushing power, it was just how SEGA went about getting it to handle 3D that was the issue.

You need to remember that Model 1 on its own had like 4 Fujistui processors along with an NEC CPU and then a high-speed co-processor and a background processor and like the Saturn, it handled quads and couldn't handle 3D Alpha transparent effects. The Saturn was in fact building on what SEGA was doing in the Arcades

Last edited:
The Saturn was going to be much more powerful than the 32X even in its early design it was going to handle over 400,000 Hardware sprites (that on its own would give decent 3D), 32 sound channels and 5 background playfields
You also underplay how powerful and advanced the Saturn was, it was not far off SONY PS polygon pushing power, it was just how SEGA went about getting it to handle 3D that was the issue.

You need to remember that Model 1 on its own had like 4 Fujistui processors along with an NEC CPU and then a high-speed co-processor and a background processor and like the Saturn, it handled quads and couldn't handle 3D Alpha transparent effects. The Saturn was in fact building on what SEGA was doing in the Arcades
Interesting. So Sega's problem wasn't that it wasn't planning for 3D and had to make emergency changes to the Saturn at the last minute that made it a disaster to program for, as the common narrative goes, it was rather that Sega had simply embarked on a bad strategy for achieving 3D graphics overall and the Saturn was just a manifestation of that strategy?

RetroAV

I think the reason why Sega consoles weren't more up to par with their arcade counterpart is that they didn't want the consoles taking too much away from their arcade business. If you wanted the FULL, uncompromised experience, it was exclusive to arcades.

RAIDEN1

I think the reason why Sega consoles weren't more up to par with their arcade counterpart is that they didn't want the consoles taking too much away from their arcade business. If you wanted the FULL, uncompromised experience, it was exclusive to arcades.
Arcades were where it was at- back in the day Sega were working with the likes of Lockheed Martin!

The Saturn was up to par with its arcade counterpart, though - Sega's mid-range ST-V arcade board was almost identical to the Saturn, because it was based on the Saturn's hardware. Obviously the Saturn was weaker than Sega's top of the line arcade boards (the Models 1-3), but that's to be expected. My question is why the Saturn and the ST-V were so poorly designed for 3D, considering that Sega clearly knew how to make hardware suitable for 3D.

It had more to do with a High-end coin up cost upwards of £16,000 Vs a £400 system

RetroAV

The Saturn was up to par with its arcade counterpart, though - Sega's mid-range ST-V arcade board was almost identical to the Saturn, because it was based on the Saturn's hardware. Obviously the Saturn was weaker than Sega's top of the line arcade boards (the Models 1-3), but that's to be expected. My question is why the Saturn and the ST-V were so poorly designed for 3D, considering that Sega clearly knew how to make hardware suitable for 3D.

I was talking about the Model 1-3 titles that Sega knew would eventually have to be ported the Saturn. If they were just as good as the arcades, what's the point of going to the arcades? Of course, they later regretted this when they saw how close System 11 ports were on PS which led to the ST-V Titan. Which was poorly designed because it was basically a Saturn. But at least conversions from that would be a lot easier than a Model 2 or 3.

Interesting. So Sega's problem wasn't that it wasn't planning for 3D and had to make emergency changes to the Saturn at the last minute that made it a disaster to program for, as the common narrative goes, it was rather that Sega had simply embarked on a bad strategy for achieving 3D graphics overall and the Saturn was just a manifestation of that strategy?
Saturn was always meant to do with 3D but the way Saturn was going to do it was using a 2D chipset. Just looked at the Mega Drive even with just 80 sprites and CISC CPU you had decent 3D polygon graphics like F-22.
Up until SEGA learned of SONY PSX specs Hideki Sato said he thought that one SH2 and 4,000 hardware sprites would be enough, when learning of the PSX spec he then looked to at least double the sprites and add in a second SH-2; That also blows apart Tom's crap about Sega America and SONY Japan working together as if SEGA had seen the PS spec's they would have known long before 1993 on what they need to do to beat the PS specs, overlook of course SEGA couldn't match SONY $500 million dollars spend on PS development, which SEGA could never match anyway

If the PS hadn't come out, the Saturn 3D and 2D would have been better than anything else available and even with the PS, Saturn's 3D was pretty good when used, the Saturn really lost out with a lack of 3D alpha transparency and how SONY embraced the PC and C for PSX development.

sunnysideup

Banned
Playstation was a more competent 3d hardware. if you look at the games released in 98 on psone and saturn. The best psx games look better.

I bought the saturn in 98 for panzer dragoon saga. That summer i played through its european library and it is one of my favorite moments of gaming. Panzer dragoon saga is saturns premium title, one of the best jrpgs of all time. Made by one of the more competent teams. But you would be hard pushed to claim it has better graphics than say metal gear solid. If you look at the on foot sections. Or if you take deep fear and compare it to say resident evil 2.

RetroAV

That also blows apart Tom's crap about Sega America and SONY Japan working together as if SEGA had seen the PS spec's they would have known long before 1993 on what they need to do to beat the PS specs, overlook of course SEGA couldn't match SONY $500 million dollars spend on PS development, which SEGA could never match anyway

Yes, this is part of the reason Kalinske advised Sega Japan to team up with Sony. They could have split the loss on the hardware, and raked in the profits from the software! Sega of Japan was too stubborn and prideful to see the bigger picture.

RetroAV

Playstation was a more competent 3d hardware. if you look at the games released in 98 on psone and saturn. The best psx games look better.

I bought the saturn in 98 for panzer dragoon saga. That summer i played through its european library and it is one of my favorite moments of gaming. Panzer dragoon saga is saturns premium title, one of the best jrpgs of all time. Made by one of the more competent teams. But you would be hard pushed to claim it has better graphics than say metal gear solid. If you look at the on foot sections. Or if you take deep fear and compare it to say resident evil 2.

I have yet to see anything on PS (and maybe the N64 as well) more impressive than Shenmue on Saturn.

sunnysideup

Banned
I have not seen any released/unreleased demo/gameplay on PS that looks better than Shenmue on Saturn.
There is nothing released on saturn that comes close to shenmue demo either.

Just compare the characters that is in deep fear or pds or any other saturn game 3rd person action game. The characters in shenmue demo are more detailed than those in fighter games on saturn.

Last edited:

RetroAV

There is nothing released on saturn that comes close to shenmue demo either.

Well, it would have been Shenmue if it didn't get moved to the Dreamcast. Still doesn't take away from the fact that the game was running on stock Saturn hardware though.

sunnysideup

Banned
Well, it would have been Shenmue if it didn't get moved to the Dreamcast. Still doesn't take away from the fact that the game was running on stock Saturn hardware though.
you do not know they could release it on saturn.

I am pretty sure they stopped developing in because it was to ambitious for saturn.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I am pretty sure they stopped developing in because it was to ambitious for saturn.
Seems more like they switched it to Dreamcast because that was their future. The same thing happened to Virtua Fighter 3. They moved everything to Dreamcast except the titles that were already deep into development for the Saturn like Panzer Dragoon Saga or Deep Fear.

sunnysideup

Banned
Seems more like they switched it to Dreamcast because that was their future. The same thing happened to Virtua Fighter 3. They moved everything to Dreamcast except the titles that were already deep into development for the Saturn like Panzer Dragoon Saga or Deep Fear.
shenmue was almost to ambitious for dreamcast. where people popping up 3 meters infront of you.

The saturn version would have been complete crap. Just think how are they going to solve all of the loading?

cireza

Banned
was hi res
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is not high res (640x480), the game is 320x240.

When you have elaborated backgrounds, games are never high resolution. The most elaborated high-resolution game I know (with some backgrounds) is Decathlete. Very impressive game by the way.

cireza

Banned
Up until SEGA learned of SONY PSX specs Hideki Sato said he thought that one SH2 and 4,000 hardware sprites would be enough, when learning of the PSX spec he then looked to at least double the sprites and add in a second SH-2;
I call bullshit here. You don't add a second CPU like this an call it a day. If they did, it was in the very early days, and did not change anything for anybody. Doing this entirely changes the PCB and tools/libraries you have to provide. 32X was already built with the same dual CPU. A ton of arcade hardware from had dual, even triple CPUs (Power Drift).

They had in mind to put two CPUs and two VDPs, and that's it. They needed the two VDPs to offer good capabilities for both 2D and 3D (which Nintendo and Sony both ran away, targeting only 3D). Dual CPUs was something common for Sega, even the MegaDrive has two CPUs as it includes the Z80 from the Master System.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Yeah Shenmue is demo footage, there is nothing on Saturn like it and I doubt a retail release would end up even close to those renders. But, Ryo running through the forest looks very bad though. I think I'd say 3D PSX games like Vagrant Story are more impressive and its actually released. MGS, Soul Reaver, Tony Hawk, Driver simply have texture work that I deem impossible to achieve on Saturn.

The second chip being added after seeing the PSX in action is a story that was also told way back in the 90's. I don't know how much of it is true. Sega did already dabble in 3D with VF and V.R. as well as 32X. You would say they had planned the dual chip setup from day one. 32X had it as well I think. Why wouldn't Sega want a 3D system if they also banked on Daytona and VF in the Arcade?

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Yeah Shenmue is demo footage, there is nothing on Saturn like it and I doubt a retail release would end up even close to those renders. But, Ryo running through the forest looks very bad though. I think I'd say 3D PSX games like Vagrant Story are more impressive and its actually released. MGS, Soul Reaver, Tony Hawk, Driver simply have texture work that I deem impossible to achieve on Saturn.

The second chip being added after seeing the PSX in action is a story that was also told way back in the 90's. I don't know how much of it is true. Sega did already dabble in 3D with VF and V.R. as well as 32X. You would say they had planned the dual chip setup from day one. 32X had it as well I think. Why wouldn't Sega want a 3D system if they also banked on Daytona and VF in the Arcade?
It wasn't a case of they didn't want it, but clearly what they were initially going to go with clearly wasn't enough...hence the urgency to add more "muscle", as I mentioned before even Kalinske could see that the Saturn was nowhere near good enough against the competition....hell even 3DO's M2 would have outshone it..

sunnysideup

Banned
What if sega moved burning rangers, panzer dragoon saga, deep fear, shining force 3 to dreamcast.

Panzer dragoon saga alone is better than any ps2 jrpg.

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Banned
I think they would. Dreamcast had great software attach rate.

It was hard to buy pds, deep fear and shining force 3 when they released in europe. I had to harass a local gameshop to order it for me. These games where barely released at all.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The saturn version would have been complete crap. Just think how are they going to solve all of the loading?
Possibly, but by the time they needed to make the decision Shenmue still needed too much time in the oven, while games like Shining Force 3, Deep Fear, and Panzer Dragoon were almost finished. So they decided to move it over to the more profitable platform. Shenmue was also notorious for its high production value. Releasing it on the Saturn just wouldn't have made much sense considering the much needed extra development time, budget costs, and the fact that the Saturn was a dying platform

Another game that moved to Dreamcast was Blue Stinger, and I think that game has this distinct Saturn-esque aesthetic.

nkarafo

At the time I thought N64 games looked significantly better than pretty much anything on PSX or the Saturn.

I'm sure PlayStation had some capabilities that were better, but for me the fact that everything was shimmering, aliased and even fucking pixellated made pretty much everything on them absolutely ugly, even at the time.

I suppose to a large extent it's a matter of taste. But for me something like Mario 64 looked way better than anything else on the other consoles.
Super Mario 64 uses N64's strengths very well. It looks like it uses a lot more polys than the average PS1 game but in reality the N64 only uses a handful of them to render it's big flat surfaces thanks to the perspective correction. It's colorful, cartoony worlds also hide the fact that the textures are smaller than the average textures of a PS1 game.

PS1 would have to work harder to for a game like Mario 64 because in order to render one of it's big, flat surfaces, it would have to use a spiderweb of many small polygons, otherwise the surface would be unstable and warp all over the place. The level geometry would look the same but it would have to use a lot more polys.

So yeah, PS1 does do more polys on average, but N64 uses them much more efficiently, since the PS1 needs to waste many of them to reduce the unstable warping. Which is the PS1's biggest flaw. Perspective correction on the N64 is why you get games like Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie (the best looking game for N64 IMO). And despite the PS1 pushing more polygons, it would still need to make sacrifices if these games were ever ported. But you can see how the PS1 uses it's polys more efficiently (and beats many similar N64 games) in racing games. You can see in games like Crash Team Racing, how the environments have more complexity VS Mario Kart or even Diddy Kong Racing.

Despite all that, the N64 does have the ability to push more polys than the PS1. A few devs proved that by using custom microcodes. The poster child game for this is World Driver Championship IMO.

5cr94aE.png
Q2auMFO.png
ZHGDpce.png
LBJQZ3m.png

The pics are from a time trial so you only see one car (it's also emulated so it's sharper than normal), but you can race against 7 other cars on the same screen and they all use as many polys as yours. These models are more detailed compared to any car model from any PS1 or Saturn game. The environments are also much more detailed compared to other N64 racers with plenty of background objects. And the frame rate is almost always steady 30fps with very little pop-up. There is another racing game from the same dev (BOSS Studios) called "Stunt Racer 64" and that also uses a ton of polygons to render it's tracks. There are quite a few late releases from several devs (like Factor 5) who used microcodes so they can make better use of the N64 hardware. All these games are far and above what the PS1 could do in terms of polygon pushing.

As far as textures are concerned, the PS1 (and Saturn) are better, there is no doubt about it. The N64 has a very small texture cache which only allows very small textures in comparison. And the fact that the N64 can render big surfaces very easily, and uses them often, means that these textures have to be stretched a lot. Which is why the textures in most games look blurrier on the N64.

This problem can be fixed, however. The developer can use a few smaller textures and stitch them together so they can make a big, detailed one. RARE did this with Banjo-Kazooie and that's why the game has amazing textures to behold:

i5IPL2J.png
NiRpk58.png

This approach, however, is time consuming. Not every developer would bother. Not even Nintendo themselves. As a result, the average N64 game has blurry textures and combined with it's heavy anti-aliasing and a not so good video output, you got the blurry look in many N64 games.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
sunnysideup sunnysideup I think they look all pretty good. World Driver Championship is almost Dreamcast level, hella impressive. The thing is though, that WDC and RR Type 4 were released in 1999, whereas Sega Rally was released in 1995, so it's not exactly a fair comparison.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
A fairer comparison would be WDC with GT2, as they both are more authentic (or realistic) racing games.

I think GT2 has more details and better car reflections, but WDC is smoother and sharper.

Last edited by a moderator:

SkylineRKR

N64 sucked because of the cartridge format.

But I was rather impressed by it when it was first emulated way back. Games have rather huge scale and textures looked much better on PC. It can render more than Playstation, but usually games were drastically compressed. Let alone the sound.

nkarafo

Mario Kart : 1996
Crash Team Racing : 1999
Well, Mickey Speedway USA was a late N64 game (by RARE even) and it still has bland environments.

It's a game-by-game issue, release dates don't have much to do with anything.

As far as polygon pushing power is concerned, the formula is this:

N64 custom microcode > PS1 > N64 regular.

sunnysideup

Banned
Well, Mickey Speedway USA was a late N64 game (by RARE even) and it still has bland environments.

It's a game-by-game issue, release dates don't have much to do with anything.

As far as polygon pushing power is concerned, the formula is this:

N64 custom microcode > PS1 > N64 regular.
Best looking and playing cart racer on ps1 is speed freaks.

nkarafo

A fairer comparison would be WDC with GT2, as they both are more authentic (or realistic) racing games.

I think GT2 has more details and better car reflections, but WDC is smoother and sharper.

GT2 has much better lighting. It's the one and only thing that makes it look so good. It gives it it's photo-realistic look that i always liked about these games. WDC is more advanced, technically, but it's lighting still makes it look videogame-y.

N64 sucked because of the cartridge format.

But I was rather impressed by it when it was first emulated way back. Games have rather huge scale and textures looked much better on PC. It can render more than Playstation, but usually games were drastically compressed. Let alone the sound.
Cartridges had some advantages over CDs.

Personally, i never liked CDs/DVDs and i'm glad i moved to PCs ever since so i didn't have to deal with them anymore.

Top Bottom