• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most shameful game purchase?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I hold my head down in shame because I knew before going in the mobile app greed but got hooked anyway.

During the pandemic I was laid off of work for a few months. I had a switch lite but there weren't many games at the time I really wanted to play on it. I didn't have my ps5 yet so was in game limbo. I am an absolute sucker for fun good racers the issues being they rarely make them anymore. I was cruising on my Android TV and discovered Asphalt 9.

Asphalt 9 has everything an arcade lover like me wants: Great racing, Slick cars, Active Player base, Online record chases, online racing multiplayer, etc etc. Alas, Asphalt 9 is like that bitch that looks like a 10 but will rob you for every penny you got. A real Devil in disguise. My short story:

Off for a few months and nothing but time on my hands back in March of 2020. I discovered Asphalt 9 in the android app store and happen to have an sn30 pro+ controller to pair along with it. I was playing it on my shield tv and it was a great experience. At first one can make real progress and advance in the game. Then you come to a point where it's really hard to advance because you simply don't have the cars or parts. The game has a pay wall that kinda forces players to buy "packs" to advanced or have good enough cars to compete in tournaments. The game will throw a few good $5 dollar deals at you and I was thinking what the hell I don't mind paying a few bucks to play this. That last for a little while and as one advance the packages one needs will raise in price. Before you know it I was dropping $20 on a "great deal" sometimes 2 or 3 times a day. Having too much time on my hands, loving the actual racing game, and my own stupidity was a recipe for disaster. I played the game for a month and a half and finally got sick of the pay walls. At the point $49.99 "Packs" could be purchased and still not help one advance. They had multiple "$99.99 bundles" as well. The most I would got was $20 on a "pack" but the issue was I purchased a lot of them.

So after a month and a half I am going over my bank statement and was hit with the slap in the face. I spent $300 on this game in a month and a half. The ironic thing was even at this point I was stuck and couldn't advanced. One could argue you could play this game for free without spending money, but you would die of old age trying to really advanced without spending real money. I dropped this game like a bad habit. It's a shame because the game itself is really fun. The paywall makes it damn near impossible to play at a competitive level unless you have money to burn.

Great Game+Greedy Bastard Publishers+My own stupidity = I HANG MY HEAD IN SHAME!

Lesson learned? Do not play any android game unless you can buy the full game out right.

Javthusiast

Banned
81VgMpgudha7vvUKDhsGBUHrL-UPRErQmcK27wBFVYk_350x200_2x-0.jpeg

And Doa Beach Volleyball 3.

Then again, I ain't ashamed of being the proud degen that I am.

Jaybe

Nothing too bad but my steam library is probably over 150 games from flash sales and humble bundles and I’ve probably played only 20% of them. At least most of that 20% has been quality.

Bought a 360 to play Alan Wake after MS moneyhated the game and made it an Xbox 360 exclusive even when the game was already announced for PC and was shown running on PC multiple times over the years.

Last edited:

Sgt.Asher

Little Nickie for the gameboy color. It blew my kid mind that there were movie games, followed by massive disappointment. I never bought another licensed game until scott pilgrim.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
A01-CD377-2-DCB-4-D6-D-B211-D989-DE5150-B6.jpg

Alone in the Dark on 360. I remember the reveal trailer was crazy. I bought it the day it came out and it was horrible. Horrible controls, graphics were downgraded, and it wasn’t fun at all. This happens every now and then, but I specifically remember asking people at college if they were going to pick it up. I was excited for it and I was so embarrassed when I finally got to play it.

I had Street Fighter X Tekken and the DLC. I was at the midnight launch of vanilla MvC3. The game that is basically pointless to own. I was a little ashamed of buying The Force Unleashed at launch. I called GameStop and asked them if they had any extra copies. I cheered in relief when they said they did. I went home to play it. The combat was floaty, combos didn’t feel impactful, and it was just bad. It gets worse. For whatever reason I thought I’d try the PS2 version for whatever reason. It was even worse and it had these terrible bars on the screen. I was ashamed of spending so much money on a game that I really didn’t like. I bought Lair and Haze for $60 a piece on launch day too. Outside of that there’s been a couple more, but another thing I did was purchase a big CoD Season Pass bundle and I wouldn’t touch the season pass stuff. Black Ops IV felt like I gave them close to $100 for half a month of playing the game? I’ve made plenty of shameful purchases.

MiguelItUp

s-l1600.jpg

When I was about 10/11 I was obsessed with Dragon Ball Z after visiting family in Spain. I begged my family to get this for me, and they did. They imported it and everything, which was insanely amazing of them. I loved the game as a kid, because it was DBZ, but man, not the best DBZ game, lmao. I remember playing it the first time and thinking it looked awesome, but when the fireballs happened, I was like "uhhhhhhh?" Because the ones on SNES were SO much better. I ended up doing the same with Dragon Ball Z The Legend/Legends when it released, and it was MUCH better.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
s-l1600.jpg

When I was about 10/11 I was obsessed with Dragon Ball Z after visiting family in Spain. I begged my family to get this for me, and they did. They imported it and everything, which was insanely amazing of them. I loved the game as a kid, because it was DBZ, but man, not the best DBZ game, lmao. I remember playing it the first time and thinking it looked awesome, but when the fireballs happened, I was like "uhhhhhhh?" Because the ones on SNES were SO much better. I ended up doing the same with Dragon Ball Z The Legend/Legends when it released, and it was MUCH better.
I remember local game stores had copies of the DBZ imports. They’d sell some off brand GameShark with the spring to play it. I remember when they finally localized those games in English and thinking how bad they actually were. GT was decent, but still played like a slug.

MiguelItUp

I remember local game stores had copies of the DBZ imports. They’d sell some off brand GameShark with the spring to play it. I remember when they finally localized those games in English and thinking how bad they actually were. GT was decent, but still played like a slug.
When I was about 18 I worked at EB Games and while there we got a few copies of the game, but not many at all. It was crazy cause weeks/months later the trade in value was worth more than the game itself because apparently it was very rare. I think the highest it was while I was there was $140? LOL.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
18w.jpg

I was young. It was a long time since I had a new game. My parents and me were at Wal-Mart and they told me I could pick one out (I think they were distracting me while they bought groceries). Wal-Mart was sold out of everything and it was this or nothing. When I brought it to check out my mom threw me a worried look and asked if I was sure that's what I wanted. Pretty sure my parents were worried I'd begin to start peeing into gallon jugs and murdering hookers at the ripe old age of 10. Years later, I'm friendly with a lot of truckers and I now know they very rarely do either of those things.

I tried to like this game but even 10-year-old me knew it was trash. Worst game purchase ever and I say that as a man who once bought Superman 64 as a lad.

Ryūtō

I spent money on a couple of gacha games. Nothing crazy I don't think I even spent over $150, but I quickly came to the realization that I would never catch up to whales and that greatly reduced my enjoyment.

I still check out new gacha once in a while, but I made an oath to never spend money.

I did not purchase it myself, but I would not have wanted my mom to walk in when I was playing it....

85794-strip-poker-ii-dos-screenshot-not-the-best-hand-what-should.png

...for obvious reasons. But, also, because I would have had to tell her I found my dad's stash.

I foresee a modern day Texas Hold'Em PvP with webcams strip poker game rising GOTY levels.

For my shameful purchase - Nintendo HDD backup system.

Last edited:

Metnut

I spent $40 on “my friend peppa pig” because my 4.5 year old daughter was upset and she loves pepp and I thought it’d calm her down.

She was into the game for 10 minutes but then got bored and wanted to do something else. I guess it did calm her down but was an expensive calm down down. At least I’m sure we’ll try the game another time.

El Muerto

I never buy a game day 1 but was real excited for this one as it had a lot of great characters so i made an exception. What a heap of garbage. Never bought another bandai-namco game after this. Game was $5 a several months later.
9TZd68D.jpg

Pantz

I've yet to play either one, but either of the two could bring a fair amount of shame if ownership was revealed to certain parties.
It's not a big deal though. The first one is basically PowerWash Simulator. The second, like... Switch Sports, probably?

Top Bottom