• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most venomous spiders in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaeger

We have regular threads on insects and arachnids that cause all kinds of fear and panic. Understandably. Sometimes it's directed at creatures that aren't actually dangerous to us in most cases (like Wolf Spiders). So in order to help educate everyone on the actual really dangerous spiders, here they are to the best of my ability. The list seems to change from year to year, and I consolidated some of them to represent a single spot if they are closely related. The most venomous spiders at the top 5 spot don't change much. Currently Guinness has the Brazilian Wandering Spider at #1, though. But I'd argue it's spot with #2's, as most others would.

6m56qMi.jpg

actual size, roughly
1] Brazilian Wandering Spider
Aggressive, and not scared of biting at the first sign of danger. Takes rides on packs of bananas to your home. Check that fruit before purchasing. Very toxic venom, that can cause asphyxiation, causes loss of muscle control and breathing problems, and painful hours long lasting boners. Found in Brazil, or "Brazil? Not going." to some. There is an effective antivenom, and there are few deaths reported. Blow torches may be effective.

2] Funnel-web Spider (Sydney and Northern)
Loves your boots, and pools. You can die in 20 minutes of bite. Little to no confirmed deaths from these guys since the early 80's when an antivenom was developed. They have to milk the venom from one of these little, highly aggressive demons 70 times for one dose of antivenom. Found in Nope-strailia (Australia). Avoid at all costs.

3] Black Widow Spider
Found in North America (shit!). One of the smaller spiders on the list, but still very dangerous and venomous. Like most spiders, loves dark spaces. Venom is neurotoxic.

4] Brown Recluse Spider
Another smaller spider, that is once again native to North America. Can be identified by the dark colored "fiddle" shape marking on it's "head", and a light brown to cream colored abdomen. His bite is necrotic. Stay the hell away at all costs. Even treated, the wound will be a gaping hole after a few days. There is no established treatment for necrosis.

5] Yellow Sac Spider
Can cause the same kind of necrosis recluse spiders cause. May be the guy biting everyone where the recluse gets blamed in most cases. Small, but again, dangerous. Found in parts of Europe, Australia (of course), Asia and Africa.

There are plenty more, and multiple species related to the ones listed even above.

HFPSZWY.gif

Don't be like this guy. He's insane, obviously.

More info;

http://www.termite.com.au/spider-identification.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider_bite

Interesting read. As dangerous as spiders are, they never really freak me out as much as they do other people. I do, however, fucking hate centipedes.

Fuck those things.

I left a black widow in my garage about a month ago because she escaped under a work bench and fuck hunting her. She was already huge, but I'm sure she's the size of small mammal by now ...

PKrockin

I left a black widow in my garage about a month ago because she escaped under a work bench and fuck hunting her. She was already huge, but I'm sure she's the size of small mammal by now ...
Look forward to dozens more baby black windows in every nook and cranny of your garage soon :^)

Burt

God, one year in college in South Carolina there was like a nest of black widows in my porch that refused to go away. I didn't even know they grouped like that, but I would come across at least a dozen a week. Water didn't work, fire didn't work, RAID and other sprays didn't work. Eventually we hit a stalemate and managed to somehow coexist.

Black Widow RPG stat sheet:

1 HP
Immune to Fire
Immune to Water
Immune to Poison
Vulnerable to blunt damage
Basic attack does 1 physical damage, 6000 poison damage
Causes girls to automatically flee encounters

Black widows are harmless if you dont bother them. They are shy and are only out at night. My house´s backyard is packed with them.

I see black widows on a fairly regular basis at work. Just let venomous snakes, I steer clear of them and have never had any problems.

People get absurdly freaked out over spiders for no good reason.

Black widows are harmless if you dont bother them. They are shy and are only out at night. My house´s backyard is packed with them.

Most venomous spiders in the US are harmless unless you go out of your way to get bitten. Brown recluse bites, for example, are incredibly rare.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I worry about black widows since I have to disturb areas where they might live alot of times while I work.

Ill see one and when I grab a tool to kill it, it disappears. Then I have to reach my hand in this dark area blindly hoping I survive lol.

doofy102

There was a funnel web spider inside a log of firewood in our front yard. Dad poked it with a stick, and it attacked the stick. Bold things.

Mohonky

Fun fact, Funnel-web spiders can bite through leather gloves, and finger nails. Even dry bites can cause bleeding.

Alabama? That's where I be.

Im also pretty sure they have been known to cross a room specifically to attack you. Supposedly they are extremely aggressive and will attack even if they dont feel provoked.

Jaeger

Im also pretty sure they have been known to cross a room specifically to attack you. Supposedly they are extremely aggressive and will attack even if they dont feel provoked.

Yea I read that too. That's why I would place these at the most dangerous, because they seem to go out the way to bite you.

EVOL 100%

Interesting read. As dangerous as spiders are, they never really freak me out as much as they do other people. I do, however, fucking hate centipedes.

Fuck those things.
I have to agree with this

Ever since I've seen a centipede large enough to make sound just by moving roaches and spiders don't faze me

Brown recluses really aren't that dangerous. Most bites do not result in necrosis. Also they are not aggressive at all and will only bite you when pressed against you like between clothes.

Stoof

Brown recluses really aren't that dangerous. Most bites do not result in necrosis. Also they are not aggressive at all and will only bite you when pressed against you like between clothes.
Yup I actually had some in my house and my mom got bit by one, but she got steroids that treated it.
Doesn't mean I'm not still terrified of the damn things though.

Jaeger

Thats because they do Dry bites. Their venom undoubtedly causes necrosis. But they don't always use it. And most spiders only attack when pressed against. That's how most attacks happen. People weren't aware of the creature's location.

Brown recluses are also one of the most mis-identified spiders in the US.

This is true. Especially here in Alabama where they are known to live. People at work think every small brown spider was a recluse.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
The Funnel Web. I mean, just look at it! Look!! It was designed and forged by Lucifer Himself! It's fangs can pierce a thick boot, and the molecule from its venom looks like a god-partical.

I remember reading some report where a guy had car trouble at night in the Outback, and he slept off the side of the road, woke up to find he was in the middle of a Funnelweb colony! I would have died without being bitten...

Nah, I went to a Zoo here in Australia where they did a spider show, they passed around a Funnel Web in a little clear box, it was quite chilled. He said the reputation for aggression is over exaggerated, they won't chase you because in general spiders have poor vision, especially those like the Funnel Web that use a web to sense prey. Only spiders that hunt or jump will have good eyesight.

39453d1239233722-centipedes-_41069480_centipede_pa_ok2.jpg

i remember seeing one of these bastards that are lightning fast run by my shoes in hawaii, also a scorpion from a open box

but fuck these guys...they scare me more than spiders because of the speed

If the venom kills in 20 there shouldn't be enough time to administer an antivenom most of the time...

20 mins with no medical intervention. Slap a compression bandage on and that extends the time you have a significant amount.

Anyway can you all bugger off, I should be out mowing the lawn, got to do the shady moist bit at the side of the house, Funnel webs love moist and shady. Time to get the steel toecap boots on I reckon.

Dingotech

Pretty sure I took out a Funnel Web in the backyard today. Normally I'd leave spiders outside alone but my kids were out running around.

It's the first one I've seen at our place in the approx 10 years we have been living here.

I had seen only one previously in my life, it was a massive one in my parents outdoor room. We watched the cat walk right past it not giving any fucks and the thing reared up looking to strike, cat still didn't care! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom