• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately [OT] - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Living
A slow burn but a nice story with a positive message told in 1950s London. It’s adapted from a Japanese film which I’ll likely see later. Bill Nighy got the actor nom for this performance. He’s great in this, but I doubt he wins. Hard to say much without spoiling but it’s a drama I recommend.

That would be Ikiru, directed by the great Akira Kurosawa, with a poignant performance by Takashi Shimura . Beautiful movie...

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Going to watch Tar tonight, can’t wait.

Although from what I saw in the trailer they went with ‘swing your arms and make faces’ for how a conductor should direct an orchestra, which is completely false.
Quoting myself - incredible movie, even better if you are into classical music and the whole symphonic orchestra things.
Very impressed with the visuals and simplicity in design and mood, just the right amount of modernity and being contemporary.
Berlin looks as thrash as I remember lol.

Billbofet

Fablemans:
Shocked at how cliched, boring, and honestly creepy this movie is. It did not connect with me AT ALL.
Everyone acts in this odd, ethereal manner that can best be described as a musical with no music.
Can't believe Michelle Williams - who I usually love - got an Oscar nom for this over-the-top, dime-story Liza Minelli impersonation.
So hard to connect when every character is a stereotype, dialogue vehicle for the whimsy and magic of life and art! Real whiff for me here.
Ugh

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
M3GAN
Somewhat entertaining I guess, but don't think too much about it because nothing would ever happen like it happens in this trashy horror flick. I would say it's kind of a mix between Chucky and Anabelle.

OIP.DUaDsTlBMcKSbtW41QvAzgHaEf

When You Finish Saving the World
Directorial debut for Jesse Eisenberg, a really hum-ho indie drama with stilted performances that didn't have much interesting to say and felt overlong even at 88 minutes.

th

You People
This was not an episode of Atlanta for sure.

th

Cryptozoo
Some weird trippy outsider art animated movie about mythical creatures that are being held captive to keep them safe from the army that wants to weaponize them. I didn't really work for me but yeah it was different.

OIP.BOGPeomP2P-5aw-MS2ksxAHaEK

The Phantom of the Open
Strange true story about some idiot competing in the British Open golf competition posing as someone else. Not a very good film; more something made for TV to be honest, but he story is alright and Mark Rylance is always great.

OIP.NqS_CLZF7q5Try_gytX3ywHaEK

Tàr
This was actually a pretty interesting comment on cancel culture, I could recommend this even though I didn't love it.

429024.jpg

The Quiet Girl
Amazing little Irish coming of age movie, really well done with beautiful cinematography and natural acting. Recommended.

OIF.a09l25zqMJSBMUBDBTBsmQ

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Uncharted (2022)
Rewatch. On this second watch I see why they cast Holland. He plays the part well. The story - ehhh. It feels like a half hearted attempt to emulate Uncharted 2 leveraging some of Uncharted 4's backstory. It's not bad, but not really great either. If it gets a sequel hopefully they don't hold back.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Black Panther 2 - rewatch.

The first act is one of the least MCU, MCU movies if that makes sense. It's measured, more serious, Coogler gives actors more time to breathe and flex their dramatic talents in many scenes. Even the action sequences during the first hour are more or less more traditional action.

I think I enjoyed the juxtapositions between Wakanda and whatever Namor's realm is called the most - in prety much every way, including how it's shown that despite all of their differences the people themselves who inhabit both cities are a lot alike.

The musical selections for the score are mostly spot on. In the absence of T'Challa the previously supporting cast do a great job at collectively carrying the film.

I used to think maybe they should have just recast Boseman's role. But this does work. I don't know if we really need a Black Panther 3, but I'd be game for another.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
handmaiden-still_b.jpg

enjoyed this a lot more than Decision to leave

call_me_by_your_name_2.jpg

Call me by your name: one of the best movies ive seen in a while. last of us ep 3 really fell flat for me after watching this x_x

Poly-articleLarge.jpg

Polytechnique: Chilling, chilling stuff. super well made

13M3GAN-COSTUMES-01-vbkq-superJumbo.jpg

M3gan. thought this was absolute trash. Wasn't scary, wasn't funny when it tries to be. horrible writing, and even worse acting. i don't understand the praise at all

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Tàr
This was actually a pretty interesting comment on cancel culture, I could recommend this even though I didn't love it.

429024.jpg

The Quiet Girl
Amazing little Irish coming of age movie, really well done with beautiful cinematography and natural acting. Recommended.

OIF.a09l25zqMJSBMUBDBTBsmQ

Tar had a laugh out loud ending. In retrospect I thought the movie could be seen as a satirical take on the snobbish world of classical music .

And The Quiet Girl is a wonderful little movie with a lot of heart with terrific naturalistic acting.

Last edited:

Doom85

I think M Baku should have been the new Black Panther

That would have been terrible, he barely had any emotional connection to T-Challa not to mention his fighting style doesn’t match the BP style at all. Him becoming king (maybe? The ending is a little unclear on that) while Shuri focuses on being BP and continuing her research is a more logical path forward for the series.

bitbydeath

That would have been terrible, he barely had any emotional connection to T-Challa not to mention his fighting style doesn’t match the BP style at all. Him becoming king (maybe? The ending is a little unclear on that) while Shuri focuses on being BP and continuing her research is a more logical path forward for the series.
Shuri doesn’t have any fighting style and not sure if you’ve seen Wakanda yet but doesn’t focus on being BP at all. Continuing her role as a scientist is a more logical path. W’Kabi would have been a good pick or even Okoye if they wanted to go the female route.

Doom85

Shuri doesn’t have any fighting style and not sure if you’ve seen Wakanda yet but doesn’t focus on being BP at all. Continuing her role as a scientist is a more logical path. W’Kabi would have been a good pick or even Okoye if they wanted to go the female route.

Yes, I’ve seen it, the film is about her becoming BP. And her being a scientist fits, she can still find ways to enhance her suit and such.

Okoye would have been fine, Shuri just feels more fitting than M’Baku, a very tall, heavy muscular guy doesn‘t make me think ”panther”, he’d fit the bill for a “bear” type of themed superhero more than a panther/tiger/etc.

W’Kabi would have been awful. Not as awful as Killmonger, but having an ungrateful bitch of a “friend” (“you haven’t brought me Klaue after being king for like two days?! Fuck you, I can’t believe we were friends!” T’Challa: “…..wow.”) take over T’Challa’s mantle would have been the highest level of bullshit. His actor is great, but fuck W’Kabi.

bitbydeath

Yes, I’ve seen it, the film is about her becoming BP. And her being a scientist fits, she can still find ways to enhance her suit and such.

Okoye would have been fine, Shuri just feels more fitting than M’Baku, a very tall, heavy muscular guy doesn‘t make me think ”panther”, he’d fit the bill for a “bear” type of themed superhero more than a panther/tiger/etc.

W’Kabi would have been awful. Not as awful as Killmonger, but having an ungrateful bitch of a “friend” (“you haven’t brought me Klaue after being king for like two days?! Fuck you, I can’t believe we were friends!” T’Challa: “…..wow.”) take over T’Challa’s mantle would have been the highest level of bullshit. His actor is great, but fuck W’Kabi.
Shuri only becomes Black Panther in the last half hour because of Nakia. Before then she has no interest and even states that Black Panther is a relic of the past.

bitbydeath

Exactly. She changed her mind. So there’s no issue for me.
Yeah, changed her mind in the last 30mins. The movie wasn’t about her becoming Black Panther nor did she have any focus for it.
Ramonda’s death was poorly written too, she was the one who saved Riri and somehow died? If anything in that situation Riri would have died.

Last edited:

Doom85

Yeah, changed her mind in the last 30mins. The movie wasn’t about her becoming Black Panther nor did she have any focus for it.

Ramonda’s death was poorly written too, she was the one who saved Riri and somehow died? If anything in that situation Riri would have died.

She grew as a character during the movie dealing with her grief over her brother‘s death and also learning how to deal with Namor. Her becoming BP due to her mom’s death is not dissimilar to seeing T’Challa become BP in public after his father’s death in Civil War. Hell, the fact that she considered peace midway through the movie with Namor, and then he killed her mother, it made Killmonger’s spirit that more effective in making her briefly considering killing Namor regardless of the consequences.

Dude, I don’t know, I’m not nitpicking every single thing that might have killed someone in an action movie but didn’t because you could do that to all action movies of the past 50 years.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Shuri's wasn't some kind of new story. The reluctant protagonist having destiny thrust upon them, refusing the obvious until they've exhausted all other measures with tragedy tipping them over the edge, conflicted to nearly the end. That tale has been told before. It worked very well for her character - she was the perfect choice of the supporting cast for it, being the scientist princess who believes she failed her brother and kingdom. If she sticks around she'll make a fine Black Panther for cameos and such.

Last edited:

Andyliini

The Last Duel

I think the story itself was fine, but the same story being told from three different perspectives made it repetitive after a while, since most of the scenes were almost the same with only a few different nuances. Especially since the movie clearly tells which of the perspectives is true, and does not leave it to viewer to decide. Perhaps it worked better as book, but I have not read it.

It's fine for one watch, but it's clear why it did not lure people to theaters.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Julie & Julia (2009)
Not my typical kind of jam, but I like movies related to cooking and the industry so I figured I'd give it a shot. And it's OK. It's cheerful. The characters face little challenges and those that arise are predictably wrapped up quickly so everyone goes back to being happy within minutes of conflict.

I was surprised that it came out in 2009. For some reason I had it my head that it was a recent release - talking 2018, 2019. Maybe I am confusing it with some other movie.

Andyliini

House of Gucci

This wasn't really my cup of tea, and I don't often watch this kinds of games. The film was mostly all right, altough I was a bit tired through the whole film, and looked at the clock quite often. It's quite a lengthy movie as well, clocking in at 2 hours and 38 minutes, and moved on in relatively slow pace. I doubt I'll ever watch this one again.

Mr Blobby

Operation Fortune (2023)

Guy Ritchie film with Statham, Aubrey Plaza, Cary Elwes and Hugh Grant.
Plaza is the sassy femme fatale, Grant channels his sleazeball performance from the Gentleman and Statham is Statham. Action is pretty standard, but the dialogue between characters is where the fun is.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
House of Gucci

This wasn't really my cup of tea, and I don't often watch this kinds of games. The film was mostly all right, altough I was a bit tired through the whole film, and looked at the clock quite often. It's quite a lengthy movie as well, clocking in at 2 hours and 38 minutes, and moved on in relatively slow pace. I doubt I'll ever watch this one again.
To me it was a history of how everybody except Aldo was a pathetic moocher trying to live their life without working a single day.

Batiman

Banned
Glass onion-

Loved the first and was excited to watch this even though I wasn’t really sold on the trailer. Great cast and now I appreciate them trying a more colourful setting for this sequel.

I have to admit the ending sort of left me wanting more. Still a really fun watch and can’t wait for another one from Rian. I feel these movies must be really challenging to put together from a writers perspective but they nailed it twice.

I also think Blanc ( Daniel Craig’s character) is turning to a real great iconic character. Love him in this role. He definitely needs to be in the third one at this point. Would be cool if they added a rival detective in the third one.

Puss in Boots 2-

I love this movie to death. Seen it twice in the last 2 weeks and I’ll probably watch it more in the future. Best animated movie since…… Spiderverse? I even think it’s better.

They don’t make simple children stories like this anymore. Classic hero movie with a great message on life. This would be my favourite if this came out when I was a kid. The voice cast is amazing even though some actors aren’t as well known as most Disney flicks. Every character is great in this.

Listening to Antonio Banderas’ voice is like poetry. I dare say he’s the best casted animated character of all time. He was born to play this Spanish cat. Lol. I’m glad this character got another movie. Seemed out of no where too. I don’t think I heard anything about this movie until it was in theatres. It deserved better marketing.

sobaka770

Banned
Just watched Hook (1991) on 4k.
I remember it quite fondly from my childhood and was surprised it had negative critic reviews.
What a weirdly underrated movie. It holds up very well, charming, funny and heartfelt all the way through. The performances of actors who really give a damn, great music, great jokes.
And I'm a big fan of those practical sets that are so much better than most of the Marvel CGI-ed up drivel. They seriously don't do movies like this anymore - crowds, choreography, set design. All that money today is spent on endless CGI and marketing to no better effect.
Some jokes and scenes are clearly 1990s (married Peter gets kissed by every woman on the set, including Tinkerbell in love) but overall it's a jolly good time.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Black panther 2. The villain might be the dumbest thing I have seen in a marvel movie. It was an ok movie but it was not that good. The Chadwick tribute was nice.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Watched Donnie Darko yesterday for the first time.

Loved it.

I saw that as a teen, loaded on two doses of Theraflu and an aspirin because, well, I had the flu. Tripped me out. It's still the only time I've watched it and I am not entirely sure what went on, but I plan on never watching it again and keeping the story how I remember it in my head. Something about an alternate dimension.

bitbydeath

Black panther 2. The villain might be the dumbest thing I have seen in a marvel movie. It was an ok movie but it was not that good. The Chadwick tribute was nice.
Choosing to fight them on water was pretty dumb. How bout they use that tech to capture them inside a vibranium box and turn the heat up til dead?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I watched Babylon.....The movie is not very interesting. But the soundtrack which is swing jazz is pretty amazing. I would listen to the soundtrack a bunch, but the movie is a pass.

Last edited:
I watched Babylon.....The movie is not very interesting. But the soundtrack which is swing jazz is pretty amazing. I would listen to the soundtrack a bunch, but the movie is a pass.

I was not a fan of La La Land. I can count 2 scenes in that movie that were memorable. Everything else about it just felt... Meh? Surprised Kojima liked it as much as he did. Now I'm questioning his taste in musicals.
I also think it could be Ryan Gosling. I like him as a person, but for some reason, I can't get into any movies I've seen him in: La La Land, Bladerunner 2049, Drive.

I also don't like Baz Luhrmann, which Babylon reminds me of. Moulin Rouge is a horrible musical. Romeo + Juliet and The Great Gatsby were also meh.

Last edited:

Durien

My wife and I watched The Northman. We were really looking forward to this and I expected something along the lines of maybe a viking Conanesque movie. It was "okay"...not what I expected.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The First Slam Dunk

just watched this here in Hong Kong cinema, Japanese original with English subtitles.
The movie was bloody amazing. Best anime I’ve seen in a while. Stays super true to the source material. Must see for everyone who liked the manga.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
You People (2023)
It's a mumblecore comedy that rarely works. The jokes and what feels like improvised dialog only works about half the time, and almost always only with Jonah Hill. Some of the other actors get in a decent joke once in a while, but it's just not great. 2/5.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Just got back from the Titanic re-release. It's been over 20 years since I last saw it and, yup, it's still a fantastic movie. The 4K 3D conversion was fine to good but didn't really add anything and I stopped noticing it after about 20 minutes. Ultimately though , it holds up unbelievably well with the exception of about 3 scenes. But you do get to see Bill Paxton sporting an earring and some "present day" hair and clothing styles. If you're young enough to never have seen it in the theater, I highly recommend checking it out. Actually, same goes for people who did see it in the theater 25 years ago. James Cameron movies are meant to be seen on the big screen.

movieposter_en.jpg

M3GAN (2022)

So much more fun than I was expecting initially. Felt a lot like a Black Mirror episode in a lot of ways. I think my only wish is it didn't have a PG-13 rating. I could tell some of the scenes were a bit held back by it.

With that being said, the kills were still cool and well thought out. Loved it as much as some of the best Chucky movies. Would definitely watch it again, thought the humour hit just right in a lot of the scenes too.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Hatching
Weird little Finnish horror movie about a little girl hatching an egg she found in the woods. Well executed even if it's a bity predictable and the characters are not very fleshed out. I was entertained.

HATCHING___Still_2.jpg

Wise Blood
Late 70s John Huston with a stellar cast (Brad Dourif, Harry Dean Stanton) but a bit disappointing in the story department. It has that rawness and realness 70s Hollywood which I like a lot.

Screen-Shot-2017-08-22-at-12.33.18-PM-e1504644536497.png

Babylon

I honestly would rather just watch Singin' in the Rain again than this bloated mess of a movie. It had some good scenes and performances, but the whole thing didn't work at all for me.

Babylon_Social_Reactions5.jpg

The People vs. Fritz Bauer
Very interesting German movie about nazi hunter Fritz Bauer and his hunting down of Eichmann in Argentina. The actor that plays Bauer does an amazing job, and the result is a cool political thriller.

19PEOPLEVS-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600-v2.jpg

Housebond (2014)

MV5BMTUxNTA5NTAzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODE2NDkyMjE@._V1_.jpg

Watched this on a whim last night, heard good things about it. I enjoyed this one a lot, really fun characters with some geniunely funny moments. Good storyline and twists.

Great blend between comedy & horror.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom