• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You Find Annoying and Hate

What are some movies that you honestly just hate and find annoying? I'm talking about movies you just find really bad.

To come to mind for me is Christmas Story and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

The first one I hated ever since I was a kid and everyone quoted that movie and loved it. I never could stand the narration and the only good thing about that movie was the dad who was the actor who played in Night Stalker. Just the whole premise and the kid and everything annoys me about that movie.

Second off is a movie made by one of my favorite directors that happens to be one of the most awful movies I've ever seen. Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I saw it once in 2005 or so but I was pretty drunk so I watched it again more sober recently and man, that movie is horrendous. This is Johnny Depp's absolute worst role and he's creepy and cringey. I love the original with Gene Wilder. It's actually one of my favorite movies of all time and this "update" happened to be one of the worst things I've ever seen put on film. So much waste of talent. I like Christopher Lee especially but again a waste of talent.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
AAAABZkMcR-_0DAXE9UXdWkpCxsSHea1uWC0Tt2I2wz8jYzfR99VayFJ9ZdibVcuS-sq0Nmnbz4e96SJo7lAcsIIYa_QfeHUuyfDbefh.jpg

The over the top parodies like the Scary Movies, Date Movie, etc. Can't stand those.

I was watching that Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay and it was so fucking stupid. It try so hard to be edgy and it comes off really dumb like it's written for a 10-year-old. I watched Caddyshack for the first time recently and I was laughing hysterically. It seems like those days are gone.

Thor: Love and Thunder
You got another movie that seems like it's made for 10-year-olds and maybe may by a 10 year old.

I heard it was terrible, but like a highway accident, I couldn’t help but see for myself
GnvrOPP.jpg
Oddly enough I didn't think it was that bad but I'm in the minority I guess. But I'm sick of Marvel movies in general. The recent phase is so forgettable.

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot is the most unfunny thing I have ever seen, it feels like watching a really unfunny comedian where nobody laughs and you cringe and wanna get away.

Also that new Doctor Strange and Ant Man movie, just unbearable trash.
Similar to what I was saying above, it's edgy kind of comedy which just comes off as try-hard.

The new Doctor Strange was so cringy with the virtue signaling but I still kind of liked it but I have a bias because Doctor Strange has been my favorite comic book character since I was a kid.

Never liked Demolition Man. Awfully cheesy and not what I expected in a sci-fi action movie.
Oh shit, I had never seen the movie until about a couple of weeks ago. They had it on one of the stations that doesn't censor out any swear words or anything fortunately, so I was able to see the movie and its entirety but with commercials.

I thought it was just okay. It definitely feels like a 90s movie and I'll say that and that's not a bad thing. The Taco Bell thing was kind of a cringy.

I really like Sylvester Stallone. I have massive respect for him especially after watching pretty much all the Rocky movies recently for the first time.

The movie was just pretty average though. Nothing special. I like his Judge Dredd movie more.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Demolition Man is awesome, what is wrong with you people

The one movie that comes to mind here for me is Punch Drunk Love. Awful movie, Sandler’s character is awful, nobody acts like a real human in his presence (he would be rightfully shunned from society). PTA’s worst movie by a mile. I hated it both as a young man and now.

pramod

Banned
Spaceballs. I don’t know why, but this one just grinds my gears. LOVE Mel’s other works, but this one just drives me up the wall.

Yeah, the humor hit rate in that one is much lower than his previous classics.
It's nowhere near the quality of Young Frankenstein, History of the World, etc....but nowhere near the worst either...somewhere in the middle.

1*U1YYifg6rMgFkdlhcfkpkA.gif

There are no "good one's".
I'm guilty of liking a few Marvel movies. Mainly, Doctor Strange and Guardians of the Galaxy and Infinity War but I honestly cannot blame anyone for being annoyed or hating the MCU. Especially nowadays where it's really gone downhill.

The Last Jedi - Completely destroyed the franchise for me.

Iron Man 3 - Did not like the twist and thought it was dumb. To me, it was lazy writing masquerading as some genius-level twist.

Independence Day Resurgence - The original was a fun, summer popcorn flick. The sequel was pure trash.
Iron Man 3 seemed like some made for TV movie. I think it's the worst MCU movie possibly.

Independence Day Resurgence was trash, I agree. One of the most disappointing sequels I've seen if it weren't for Ghostbusters Afterlife which was even more disappointing. Man, was I let down by Ghostbusters Afterlife. It was better than the all-female Ghostbusters but that's not saying much.

Last edited:

Doom85

Second off is a movie made by one of my favorite directors that happens to be one of the most awful movies I've ever seen. Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I saw it once in 2005 or so but I was pretty drunk so I watched it again more sober recently and man, that movie is horrendous. This is Johnny Depp's absolute worst role and he's creepy and cringey. I love the original with Gene Wilder. It's actually one of my favorite movies of all time and this "update" happened to be one of the worst things I've ever seen put on film. So much waste of talent. I like Christopher Lee especially but again a waste of talent.

Pirates Of The Caribbean Agree GIF

Seriously, I’m far more open to the idea of remakes than most people, but there are certain films that nailed pretty much everything and don’t require a new or different take. Even the changes from the book were all for the better in terms of the Gene Wilder film, like having “Slugworth” provide this source of temptation, having Charlie give the Gobstopper back (and no, I don’t think him having the Lifting Drink diminished his innocence, since that was him thinking his Grandpa Joe knew best when he obviously didn’t ), the songs (okay, Cheer Up Charlie is just okay, but all the others songs are awesome), etc. It’s one of the shining examples to counter people who insist no film could ever be better than the original book.

Plus, Burton claiming he’d be more “faithful” was bullshit. Okay, so Veruca now has her scene with squirrels like the book, but were anyone really upset they were geese in the first film? Didn’t really diminish the awesome scene, with Veruca’s song, her dad‘s actor perfectly balancing laughter and panic as he asks Wonka where she fell into, and Wonka’s perfect “there’s going to be a lot of garbage today.” And if the new film is more faithful, why is Mike a gamer? Spare me the “no kid is watching westerns these days”, again, if it’s pushing the “more faithful” angle, set it in the time period it took place. I also hated the implication Wonka was planning all these kids’ accidents and such. The kids facing karma due to their own ignorant and foolish actions was the point of the original (along with punishing the parents either directly, or realize their own poor parenting. Hence why Veruca’s father had to get it the worse, he was an enabler to her psychotic level of selfishness), it’s ruined by making Wonka step out of bounds in punishing a bunch of kids he has no legal guardianship over in the new film.

Like, I didn’t think Burton could make a worse remake than his Planet of the Apes, but at least his Apes film had some great makeup work, I’ll at least give it that.

I can't stand Seth Rogen. I despise him. He's probably the most annoying person in Hollywood.

He’s hit or miss for me. I don’t think he generally works in the lead role. But I liked him fine in 40 Year Old Virgin. I do love him in Superbad, like the stuff with the teens is good (minus Jonah Hill’s character being a self centered prick a lot of the time), but all the crazy shit with him, Bill Hader, and the McLovin kid was just pure, stupid fun.

Soodanim

Gold Member
The Snowman. Especially that "Walking on the air" song or whatever it is. Even as a child it annoyed me. I don't know if it made its way out of UK, but I wish it did and never came back.

Doom85

The Snowman. Especially that "Walking on the air" song or whatever it is. Even as a child it annoyed me. I don't know if it made its way out of UK, but I wish it did and never came back.

Until you mentioned the song, I thought you meant the Michael Fassbender movie from 2017. Which is a bad movie, but has a lot of over the top moments and stupidity (didn’t help they were only about to film 80% of the script IIRC) that gave me some good laughs that I can’t hate it per say.

Fassbender needs another hit. Great actor, but the Fox X-men films are over, Ridley Scott ruined the potential of new Alien films, and the Assassin’s Creed movie…..existed. Dude clearly puts good effort into his performances, so I hope he finds some good films soon.

I'm having a particularly bad day. I'll delete my post. Or edit it or whatever. I'd appreciate if you did the same so I can stop thinking about it but that's up to you of course.

kunonabi

Psycho remake
Fat Girl
The Smokers
LotR: The Two Towers
The Simpsons Movie
Avengers: Endgame
Punisher: War Zone
Everything Disney Star Wars
Suspiria remake

Not necessarily the worst movies ever but the movies I would most want to leave the theater instead of finishing.

xrnzaaas

K0v6Cww.jpg

The original Dumb & Dumber movie is still one of my favorite Jim Carrey comedies and I still like to rewatch it once every few years. The 'proper' sequel is horrible with some truly awful, completely unfunny jokes. I struggled to watch it once, because I wanted to turn it off several times.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Sooo fucking annoying. I actually liked it at as a child but find that song intolerable now.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Psycho remake
Fat Girl
The Smokers
The Simpsons Movie
Avengers: Endgame
Punisher: War Zone
Everything Disney Star Wars
Suspiria remake

Not necessarily the worst movies ever but the movies I would most want to leave the theater instead of finishing.
I tried to leave theatre with Avengers: Endgame but my ride was still watching...

Other notably horrible movies I've seen:

- Every remake / reboot (with John Carpenter's 'the Thing' being the last great remake I've ever seen
- Super 8
- Transformers movies, I did leave the theater about 30-minutes into the 2nd
- Splice...a friend and myself saw this forgettable piece of crap. I've never heard anyone bring this movie up either...good.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Clicked on thread to post this. I saw this opening night with friends, being big fans of almost everyone involved. The first fifteen or so minutes ain't bad, but it was definitely an annoying let down after that.
I went to see it in the cinema with a free ticket in a free luxury VIP room... And still I felt ripped off.

It was the first movie that I walked out of the theater before it finished.

GeekyDad

Spaceballs. I don’t know why, but this one just grinds my gears. LOVE Mel’s other works, but this one just drives me up the wall.

monsters inc

So many lost souls...

Tears Reaction GIF

Personally, I had hate in my heart after seeing The Batman in the theater Day 1. My wife and I had planned about a month in advance, making sure we were able to get off early from work, where to eat, what time, etc. So much to love about the movie -- so much -- but at nearly, what, three hours long, she was a backstabbing bitch in the end.

Mamofish

Meet the parents

I hate that genre of the overly ridiculous things going wrong over and over again. It's just a movie but, there's something about the protagonist being naive and putting themselves in stupid situations that pulls me out of an enjoyable experience.

Top Bottom