• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Hyde

The Witch

Outstanding horror film. The build up is intense, very few scares but the ones that comes along are powerful and effective, fueled by the excellent directing and acting. The plot hooks you in and it never let's go. The movie is absorbing, eerie and unpleasant, and you really feel for this family who is put under the witch's spell.

Due to its "less is more" approach to the wickedness on display, the movie leaves a long standing impression. It was ages ago I saw a movie this good that is done in a such a creepy manner. It's up there with the Blair Witch Project in terms of impact.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
2EY8azdXmGCGADoewhJPtqYXnzF.jpg

Mystic River

Still such a good movie. Sean Penn puts on a stellar performance, and Kevin Bacon and Tim Robbins are great too. Very unsettling and dark movie, not an easy watch in areas. Highly worth your time if you've never seen it before. Starts off well and keeps the momentum rolling with the deep storyline. Clint Eastwood does a great job directing, too.

thefool

Nice thread. I barely watched anything lately (movies) but I got The Rock here to watch. Haven't watched this bad boy in probably 20 years and I'm curious how much I'll like it.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Run Hide Fight- I actually thought this was a good film. It can be gruesome but it was a film that took some interesting turns with the main character.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
giphy.gif

I refuse to believe there is anybody that doesn't like Friday. Still holds up. Chris Tucker & Ice Cube have some of the purest and most natural chemistry. It just can't be forced, they were born to make a movie together. Tucker should act more, his line delivery is always on point. It was the same in Rush Hour, he just bounces off people super well.

So many quotable lines in this movie, fantastic cast and the chillest of vibes. Perfect movie to shut off your brain and just laugh, smile and have a damn good time. Been watching in the background and just laughing my ass off. Honestly one of my top comedy movies.

Xenon

Just finished watching Next. It was an entertaining movie but ultimately a lazy take on the concept. The story they built around it seemed pretty implausible. I just could not buy that that's what these people were doing in such a high-stakes situation. I will say that Nicolas Cage was perfect for the role, I just wish they would have done more with him.

I also watched An Inspector Calls. I'm a huge fan of David Thewlis. He did a great job in this. Overall it was good but I can't help but feeling it would have resonated a lot more with me 5 years ago. It's also hard to get emotionally invested in someone you never really get to know.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished watching Next. It was an entertaining movie but ultimately a lazy take on the concept. The story they built around it seemed pretty implausible. I just could not buy that that's what these people were doing in such a high-stakes situation. I will say that Nicolas Cage was perfect for the role, I just wish they would have done more with him.

I also watched An Inspector Calls. I'm a huge fan of David Thewlis. He did a great job in this. Overall it was good but I can't help but feeling it would have resonated a lot more with me 5 years ago. It's also hard to get emotionally invested in someone you never really get to know.
I watched Next a long time ago, and I agree. Great concept but the execution could have been a bit better. Still entertaining enough if you shut your brain off and just enjoy it. Knowing is another good Nic Cage film I would recommend, and has time aspects about it. Critics didn't like it, but I thought that was entertaining too.

Xenon

I watched Next a long time ago, and I agree. Great concept but the execution could have been a bit better. Still entertaining enough if you shut your brain off and just enjoy it. Knowing is another good Nic Cage film I would recommend, and has time aspects about it. Critics didn't like it, but I thought that was entertaining too.

I actually own Knowing and watched it, but just can't remember it at all. I remember liking it and it having a
armageddon type ending.

NahaNago

Finished Fatman with mel gibson as santa clause. It was alright and I'm glad I didn't pay to watch it in theaters. The movie should have cut down the bad guys to just one instead of bouncing between the kid and the hitman. Just the hitman and focusing on his issues with santa clause and maybe more of his backstory would have made the movie more moving and intense. Calling the elves little guys when they were barely smaller than the regular folk was just weird. The movie did have a lot of issues and they should have shown the backgrounds of several of the characters a bit more. Still it was a nice little movie it just didn't know what it wanted to be.

Last edited:

Peggies

Gold Member
2EY8azdXmGCGADoewhJPtqYXnzF.jpg

Mystic River

Still such a good movie. Sean Penn puts on a stellar performance, and Kevin Bacon and Tim Robbins are great too. Very unsettling and dark movie, not an easy watch in areas. Highly worth your time if you've never seen it before. Starts off well and keeps the momentum rolling with the deep storyline. Clint Eastwood does a great job directing, too.
Brilliant movie! Even better book!
Very depressing and dark. Loved it :messenger_smirking: .

GeekyDad

Finally watched Capote
Capote_Poster.jpg

Been putting it off for a while, as I wasn't sure what its focus would be. Though I'm familiar with the book, In Cold Blood, I didn't know anything about Truman Capote. I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. It was interesting and entertaining, but man -- and I love the actor, would watch just about anything he's done -- Hoffman's acting in this film, to me, was so overrated. I have no idea what Capote actually sounded like in real life, but it's really hard to believe he sounded like that. I mean, I can believe he had a very slight, quiet feminine voice, but Hoffman just, in my opinion, does such a poor job of executing it. Other than that, his acting is great as always. Definitely worth a watch, but Keener was the highlight for me.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
bttf-gif-3.gif

I don't think Back to the Future will ever stop being a fun watch. I must have seen it fully at least over ten times now, and it still manages to keep my eyes glued to the screen throughout. I really don't think you'll find chemistry like Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd again. Two all-time greats. I love that these movies are always there for me whenever I feel a bit down and they always bump my spirits back up. That music alone gives me just pure nostalgic goosebumps, and I feel so happy when I hear it.

Kajillionaire - An eccentric family makes a living through petty crime. In the middle is Old Dolio (Evan Rachel Wood) who wants affection from her parents. A movie about living your own life. Often changes tack between between comedy and tragedy in the same scene, catching you by surprise. Great movie

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Finally watched Capote
Capote_Poster.jpg

Been putting it off for a while, as I wasn't sure what its focus would be. Though I'm familiar with the book, In Cold Blood, I didn't know anything about Truman Capote. I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. It was interesting and entertaining, but man -- and I love the actor, would watch just about anything he's done -- Hoffman's acting in this film, to me, was so overrated. I have no idea what Capote actually sounded like in real life, but it's really hard to believe he sounded like that. I mean, I can believe he had a very slight, quiet feminine voice, but Hoffman just, in my opinion, does such a poor job of executing it. Other than that, his acting is great as always. Definitely worth a watch, but Keener was the highlight for me.

I have to admit I didn't like this movie. I also didn't care for Capote's book. I felt like he was cashing in on the misery of other people.

GeekyDad

I have to admit I didn't like this movie. I also didn't care for Capote's book. I felt like he was cashing in on the misery of other people.
Well, the character they portrayed was definitely not a very likeable person. Very self-involved and incredibly selfish. He was complaining that they were putting him through torture by not dying so he could finish his book. That's some dark shit right there.

Mr Hyde

Mortal Engines

Given the reviews and box office disaster I expected nothing short of a train wreck. But color me surprised, I actually liked it. In fact I thought it was very good.

A unique concept, with huge rolling mobile cities that roams around a post apocalyptic world devouring other smaller cities in order to survive. In the midst of it, a young woman seeks revenge for the death of her mother, and enrolls on a big adventure trying to stop an ensuing war.

Spectacular visuals from Weta, and a very cool overall atmosphere, Mortal Engines felt fresh and original, far from the usual mainstream crap that surfaces in today's movie climate. The plot moves very fast, but I saw that as a strength, as it never got boring. The plot was coherent and compelling, which is something that usually falters with movies of this scope, and with planned sequels ahead.

It's a shame it crashed and burned. I want more of this universe. I can only hope it becomes a success in home media, so that Peter Jackson can greenlight a sequel.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Sinister is one of the most disturbing horror movies out there. Ethan Hawke gives one of his best performances. It does taper off a bit towards the end, but like 90% of the movie is worth watching. It will seriously creep you out and stick with you. Don't bother with the sequel, though.

9971e38a2d46b474be17d5b97db6977f.gif

GeekyDad

Okay, I think yesterday makes either the fourth or fifth time in about a month I've watched this:
Green_Book_%282018_poster%29.png

Mainly because when I'm scrolling the channels and there's nothing else on, I know it's a movie I like. Truth be told, it's kind of by-the-numbers in most ways, as far as "feel good" movies go, but the story is still inspiring, believable, and most of all, I love both these actors.

Sadly, I'll probably watch it a few more times when there's nothing else on. :D

Been a good while so I found myself rewatching Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

vjeDAJy.png

Most know the score - starts as a good (Albeit watered down) Mad Max movie before transitioning into what feels like a different movie and finally succumbing to some lighthearted slapstick finale. As a sequel Mad Max 1+2 I would say it fails but watched as it's own movie it's decent enough. I do truly like all the Bartertown characters (And I think Tina Turner is great in this) and the art direction is solid and the what I'd like a live action Fist of the North Star to look like.

Still, even with that in mind, no matter how you approach it the problem remains that the first act easily the most interesting and compelling portion of the movie and it never reaching those heights after.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
MV5BNzQxNTIyODAxMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzQyMDA3OTE@._V1_.jpg

Absolutely incredible film. Mahershala Ali gives a sensational performance despite not being in the movie for super long. I had watched this previously back in 2016, but it deserved another watch. The movie takes you on such a great journey and still manages to stay under two hours. You feel like you have seen so much, it moves at such a great pace and never loses your attention. The storyline is gripping from the start. All the actors that play the main lead do a equally fantastic job. Soundtrack is baller as well, fits nicely.

Love the opening to this film. So badass.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Been a good while so I found myself rewatching Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

vjeDAJy.png

Most know the score - starts as a good (Albeit watered down) Mad Max movie before transitioning into what feels like a different movie and finally succumbing to some lighthearted slapstick finale. As a sequel Mad Max 1+2 I would say it fails but watched as it's own movie it's decent enough. I do truly like all the Bartertown characters (And I think Tina Turner is great in this) and the art direction is solid and the what I'd like a live action Fist of the North Star to look like.

Still, even with that in mind, no matter how you approach it the problem remains that the first act easily the most interesting and compelling portion of the movie and it never reaching those heights after.

What a coincidence, I just rewatched it the other day as well - though I tapped out shortly after the exile scene. I hadn't seen this since I was a kid, but as an adult, you're right: it's kind of jarring how it feels like two separate movies.

NahaNago

kv-teaser-3.jpg

Just got through with promare so I commented on that thread. It was a lot of fun to watch. You can see gurren lagann all over the place in the movie. Biggest gripe I had with the movie is I hate the coloring. It just looked stale or bland to me. I was hoping for more vibrant colors. I'd have to give this movie a rating of B. I kept wanting more from the film. It was good and had fun mech fights, somewhat interesting characters, alright visuals , and I did enjoy the finale music but it just failed to reach greatness status with me like they could have pushed things just a little bit more in all of these aspects. All in all I would recommend folks watch this movie

GeekyDad

The Midnight Sky

George Clooney Sci-Fi film that he also directed for Netflix.

Actually pretty good. Nicely shot and surprisingly emotional. I'd give it a strong recommend.

Yeah, I really liked the trailer. Will give it a watch when I can. With Clooney, there's a lot of hit-and-miss. I like him as an actor, but I'd say at least half of the films he's in are less than great (and I'm being generous).

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Sightless - quite interesting but the portrayal of a blind person was hit or miss.

Babyteeth - load of waffle

Pieces of a woman - decent watch

Peppermint - utter crap.

GeekyDad

Can't remember if I posted about it in the last thread, but as I'm about to watch it again right now (I think for the fourth time), please, please watch this movie if you enjoy really good, tasteful dramas:
51q9brYRoLL.jpg

Fantastic cast, story...it's just really good. To be fair, I've been going through some things in the past couple of years, and at one time I thought perhaps also I had the early onset of Parkinson's (which it turned out to be something else), but still, it's just a really, kinda perfect movie.

Anyway, about to watch it right now. It's free if you're a Prime subscriber. Check it out.

Kadayi

Banned
Yeah, I really liked the trailer. Will give it a watch when I can. With Clooney, there's a lot of hit-and-miss. I like him as an actor, but I'd say at least half of the films he's in are less than great (and I'm being generous).

Don't expect it to rock your world (and it's got a Netflix budget). But it's well done and Clooney puts the effort in.

Mahadev

The Little Things

Great performances, great atmosphere, mediocre as hell screenplay. The last part of the movie specifically is very disappointing, the movie just fizzles out.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The Little Things

Great performances, great atmosphere, mediocre as hell screenplay. The last part of the movie specifically is very disappointing, the movie just fizzles out.

I found that movie pretty boring. Jared Leto overacts half his roles, as he did here.

Mahadev

I found that movie pretty boring. Jared Leto overacts half his roles, as he did here.

I'd be fine with the movie being slow if it got somewhere. I hate movies where stuff is just happening and then they just end because it's "realistic". Bitch, if I wanted realism I'd go outside, realism is good but make it interesting too, otherwise it's just pointless watching your movie.

I've noticed with trend a lot with indie movies the last decade, they think they're being smart and unique or something.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Siberia

Netflix film starring Keanu from a couple of years back, wherein he plays an American Diamond Broker/Dealer who gets embroiled in a deal for rare Blue Diamonds in Russia. Not quite the action flick the trailer makes out, but not a disagreeable watch.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The Dig- the movie is excellent but they don’t know how to use Lily James without making her get naked. But the story and the characters were amazing. I would actually like to see a real documentary on find.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The Little Things - I don’t know, the story is interesting but I am not a fan of serial killers. The ending is open for interpretation. The acting is good.

NahaNago

I just finished Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge. Honestly was a let down. The animation was really cheap in this movie. The bone breaking x-ray scenese were fun at first but became repetitive. I got so bored with the movie that I actually started paying attention to how they would end some fights. Pretty much they would show the start of the attack and then skip straight to the finish with a bunch of extra effects surrounding the body part This felt like pretty much a tv movie. I'd give this movie a rating of C+. This movie felt like a cheap money grab.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
f66ada4b783f2822d939299bb06fc051.jpg

Rush Hour 2

A rare example of a sequel being better than the first. The chemistry is off the charts between Chan & Tucker. The funny moments are funnier. Just a superb action-comedy flick that ticks all the right boxes. One of my all-time favourites.

INC

Rush Hour 2

A rare example of a sequel being better than the first. The chemistry is off the charts between Chan & Tucker. The funny moments are funnier. Just a superb action-comedy flick that ticks all the right boxes. One of my all-time favourites.

Outtakes are the best bit of these films tbh

Rush hour 1+2 are still great tho, who doesn't like Jackie chan.......?

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, the outtakes are great. Those guys had so much fun on set, and that is precisely why the movie is so good. Jackie Chan trying to slide under them bars was always my favourite part, such a hard stunt to do but that man was determined. I love his work ethic.

GeekyDad

Rush Hour 2

Yeah, definitely one of my family's absolute favorites. It's ridiculous, but for all the right reasons!

"He ain't gonna be in Rush Hour 3!"

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Did some extensive movie watching in the past two weeks since I had home office and not much was going on, so I bounced back and forth between laptop and movie.

- 8/10: Hunger Games
- 9/10: Catching Fire (haters gonna hate)
- 7/10: Mocking Jay Part 1
- 7/10: Mocking Jay Part 2

- 9/10: Blade (classic)
- 7/10: Blade 2 (weak sequel)
- 4/10: Blade Trinity (first time I saw it... what the fuck was this shit?)

- 7/10: Resident Evil: Degeneration
- 7/10: Resident Evil: Damnation (best one of the 3)
- 6/10: Resident Evil: Vendetta

- 9/10: Home Alone
- 9/10: Home Alone 2 (prolly the most barebone sequel ever made, still laughed a lot)

- 8/10: Shanghai Noon
- 7/10: Shanghai Knights

- 4/10: Beavis and Butthead Do America (used to love this... guess I'm out of that age...)
- 6/10: The Hunt (surprising solid, takes some hits a SJW culture)
- 6/10: The Oxford Murders
- 9/10: Titanic (haters gonna hate, classic)
- 4/10: Indiana Jones 4 (hated this movie in the theater and I might just even hate it more now; Spielberg has some hits and misses but this shitstain of a movie should not belong in his resume)

Finally started my journey through the MCU a few days ago. I only knew the Iron Man flicks and GotG but missed everything else. Going through it in release order.

- 7/10: Iron Man (best of the 3)
- 6/10: The Incredible Hulk
- 7/10: Iron Man 2 (worst of the 3)
- 7/10: Thor
- 7/10: Captain America: The First Avenger
- 8/10: The Avengers
- 7/10: Iron Man 3

Will update as I go. So far most of them have been good movies. The only very good one was Avengers, which kinda surpised me. Hulk was clearly the worst so far.
Curious for the coming flicks. Especially the next CA, which I'll watch tomorrow.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The Midnight Sky

George Clooney Sci-Fi film that he also directed for Netflix.

Actually pretty good. Nicely shot and surprisingly emotional. I'd give it a strong recommend.

I actually thought this was promoted poorly. The movie is pretty cool when they are on the space ship, but you don't know any of that with the trailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom