• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekyDad

Billy-Bob-Thornton-Goliath-14952ff.jpg

Okay. Just finished up the series (Goliath) a few minutes ago. Firstly, I think that truly is the best way to experience this series. Start with Season 4, and then backtrack to 1 and finish with 3. I think they definitely found their footing with Season 3. Not better than 4 by a long shot, but entertaining, and that final episode had a lot of powerful feels. I mourn the fact this series will not continue. Just when it was becoming amazing. :messenger_pensive:

Birdshot (2016, Philippines)

Hj784uB.jpg

"This movie could had happen here."

On one side there's a just formed pair of cops going to investigate the disappearance of a bus going to Manila.
On the other side there's a father and a daughter that live isolated on a rural area. After he teaches his daughter how to use a gun to hunt and defend herself she acidental wanders inside a reservation area and kills a super rare eagle endangered of extinction.
The pair of cops is reassigned to investigate the killing of the eagle.

This movie as so fucking good! :messenger_face_steam:
Watched it yesterday and I'm still thinking about it and noticing various details about the story and character behavior. It surprised me so much and again, "it could had happen here".

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
MV5BM2UyYzQ5OGQtYWUxOS00MWYwLWE3MzYtMDAyM2JmZWQ0ZDRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzYyOTM1ODI@._V1_.jpg

The images are beautiful, our France is well filmed and there is a good composition of the shots as well as a colorimetry which helps to give a real nice atmosphere.
Small flat on the attack scenes with FX that stain (too bad) and above all a completely chaotic camera that probably serves to hide those FX.

Maybe situating the attacks at night could have been an alternative solution to compensate for the lack of budget and thus have less confusing scenes, because yes we are not really on a werewolf film on a full moon evening but on a Gypsy curse.
So the beast can and will attack (especially) during the day. Speaking of the beast, I like the idea that this one can only be killed if the human inside is downed at the same time.
The autopsy in the middle of the film is really cool by the way, THE scene of the movie in my opinion.

As I hoped the Beast of Gévaudan is mentioned, our pathologist is directly connected to this story since his family is among the victims of said Beast. Nice. Maybe I should re-watch Brotherhood of the Wolf. Again <3.

Otherwise there are a few little things that will make you roll your eyes, for example the mother who will open the door of the church (already stupid) and OF COURSE, everyone is asleep. M'okay.

In the end, a little film to watch if you're a fan of the genre, but it's neither very scary nor memorable. But in the absence of better it will do the job.
6,5/10

MV5BM2UyYzQ5OGQtYWUxOS00MWYwLWE3MzYtMDAyM2JmZWQ0ZDRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzYyOTM1ODI@._V1_.jpg

The images are beautiful, our France is well filmed and there is a good composition of the shots as well as a colorimetry which helps to give a real nice atmosphere.
Small flat on the attack scenes with FX that stain (too bad) and above all a completely chaotic camera that probably serves to hide those FX.

Maybe situating the attacks at night could have been an alternative solution to compensate for the lack of budget and thus have less confusing scenes, because yes we are not really on a werewolf film on a full moon evening but on a Gypsy curse.
So the beast can and will attack (especially) during the day. Speaking of the beast, I like the idea that this one can only be killed if the human inside is downed at the same time.
The autopsy in the middle of the film is really cool by the way, THE scene of the movie in my opinion.

As I hoped the Beast of Gévaudan is mentioned, our pathologist is directly connected to this story since his family is among the victims of said Beast. Nice. Maybe I should re-watch Brotherhood of the Wolf. Again <3.

Otherwise there are a few little things that will make you roll your eyes, for example the mother who will open the door of the church (already stupid) and OF COURSE, everyone is asleep. M'okay.

In the end, a little film to watch if you're a fan of the genre, but it's neither very scary nor memorable. But in the absence of better it will do the job.
6,5/10
I loved the film and give it an A but that's due to being a fan of Werewolves

But I can understand why you didn't like the film

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I'm a big fan of werewolves too, that's in fact the only reason why I watched this movie ^^. From An American Werewolf in London to Ginger Snaps, Wolfman and Dog Soldiers, I think I watched almost everything related to werewolves haha.
6,5/10 in my book is a good rating (y)

At least it was far, faaaaaaar better than this adaptation:
822%2Faudiovisual%2Fmovie%2Ffc2%2F334%2F3f29563cc0e3c8cb484dcb8d6d%2Fmovies-186437-21886428.jpg

Dumb And Dumber Puke GIF

Acting was bad, story was bad, Banderas is completely useless, even the FX are meh.
There is just nothing to say about this. Don't waste your time. 1/10

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Hamilton
I don't like musicals. This was the first that left me impressed: The story of Alexander Hamilton set to hip-hop.

Eternals
Hey another Marvel flick. Quite good and with a varied cast.

I should have rated the Ghibli movies here. Fantastic pieces.

The Lighthouse (2019)

MnoGLHo.jpg

Watching the Batema movie made me remember I had this movie to watch but had forgotten.
Well, I watched, and didn't understood.

I feel that I just watched the scenes and the story escaped me. That there was some mysteries there to be solved but I failed completely. I just didn't had that spark moment to make it all clear, what would it be...

GeekyDad

The Lighthouse (2019)

MnoGLHo.jpg

Watching the Batema movie made me remember I had this movie to watch but had forgotten.

I feel that I just watched the scenes and the story escaped me. That there was some mysteries there to be solved but I failed completely. I just didn't had that spark moment to make it all clear, what would it be...
Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

NahaNago

I did a movie theater marathon today and ended up watching The Bad Guys, Pompo the Cinephile, and The Unbearable weight of massive talent.

20220104-113322571.jpg
20220420-120353184.jpg
20220310-125746016.jpg

The Bad Guys was really enjoyable cg family film. The movie looked really good and I liked the characters. I kind of felt like the movie needed a bit more adjustments to make the movie a really amazing and touching dramatic movie but I kind of forgot they were going for more of a fun family film starring bad guys. It needed more unique interactions between the gang in order to create more of a family unit and make them more memorable . The piranha and spider characters were underused in the movie. I'd give this movie a rating of B+. A nice movie story that has been done many times before and better but now with animals and cg for a family outing.

Pompo the Cinephile was a visually crazy movie at times. I loved the interactions between the main character and the little boss. I do give it a negative point with the boss looking like an elementary school girl. She really doesn't match the rest of the film with the way she looks. The story gives a lot of love to many of the characters and makes them all very unique in personality. Just the way they tied things together whether it be from characters interacting in the past or the movie's story connecting to other parts made the movie more interesting in how they showed it. The movie would also have some really interesting visuals at times they made it seemed like the movie had this gigantic budget with how visually beautiful it would look at times but at the same time look like a regular anime episode for the most part. I'd give this movie a rating of A-. Interesting movie with interesting visuals.

The Unbearable weight of Massive Talent honestly was a bit disappointing. I would have been fine just watching this on netflix. I think my big issue unfortunately is at the beginning of the movie where Nicolas Cage is making a fool of himself. I always feel super bad when a character makes a fool of himself when they are either trying to do something or when they are lashing out. The interaction between him and Pedro Pascal were what saved the movie. I needed more of that. The main bad guy of the film was a bit weak The dramatic scenes between Nic and Pedro were amusing. The movie's story doesn't make much sense at times. I felt they should have used more shots from other Nic movies or had him dress up similarly to those characters in the movie. Maybe a more over the top movie would have worked better since they could have used Nic going crazy in his acting and have him use a bunch of old style moves and clothing in the movie. I'd give this movie a rating of C+. If you're a fan of Nicolas Cage go ahead and watch it otherwise skip until it comes out to rent or netflix.

sol_bad

The Lost City - cinema

Quite an enjoyable and funny adventure film, Channing Tatum was so darn funny in it. Certainly not to be taken serious. The Brad Pitt scenes are absolutely redonculous. But yeah, don't take it serious, just have fun with it.

Not that I think it has an "explanation", but I really feel like I missed somethings.
Everything is so doubtful, from where to begging "understanding" what was happening?
Is just that both were very crazy so nothing makes much sense because just very feel deep truths in their pasts?

sammyys

Banned
Apocalypse Now. Had not seen it in many years but finally watched it on blu-ray. It's essential viewing for anyone who may not yet have seen it.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Birdshot (2016, Philippines)

Hj784uB.jpg

"This movie could had happen here."

On one side there's a just formed pair of cops going to investigate the disappearance of a bus going to Manila.
On the other side there's a father and a daughter that live isolated on a rural area. After he teaches his daughter how to use a gun to hunt and defend herself she acidental wanders inside a reservation area and kills a super rare eagle endangered of extinction.
The pair of cops is reassigned to investigate the killing of the eagle.

This movie as so fucking good! :messenger_face_steam:
Watched it yesterday and I'm still thinking about it and noticing various details about the story and character behavior. It surprised me so much and again, "it could had happen here".

Your review piqued my interest so I looked this one up (turns out it's on Netflix UK).

Great film. Really well shot, directed and acted. One of the better movies I've seen recently. Thanks for highlighting it.

Your review piqued my interest so I looked this one up (turns out it's on Netflix UK).

Great film. Really well shot, directed and acted. One of the better movies I've seen recently. Thanks for highlighting it.

In the end I was sad for Domingo.
What could he do? What could he change? What could he stop? The only other alternative to him was ending like the people on the bus, isn't it? "It could happen here"...
That scens with him refusing to take his weeding ring and instead taking the other rings says everything. As long ins't your family being killed you can endure, I guess. :messenger_anxious:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
In the end I was sad for Domingo.
What could he do? What could he change? What could he stop? The only other alternative to him was ending like the people on the bus, isn't it? "It could happen here"...
That scens with him refusing to take his weeding ring and instead taking the other rings says everything. As long ins't your family being killed you can endure, I guess. :messenger_anxious:

The situation and tone reminded me of the 2014 movie Leviathan

Both follow a similar theme, although I enjoyed the tighter focus of Birdshot and the focus on the young girl and her struggles fitting into the world she and her father shared.

A really good movie that I'd otherwise never have known about. So again, thanks for the recommendation.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
watched a bit of Scream (2022) today. i fell asleep but will definitely watch the rest of it.
Spontaneous
Tense, yet funny movie about a group of high school kids that keep spontaneously combusting.

Untitled-7.gif

Worth a watch.
i watched that only because of katherine langford <3 was quite a fun movie. i hope she gets more roles. this was her last movie and the last tv show she done was Cursed but of course netflix shit canned that.

iu

Last edited:
watched a bit of Scream (2022) today. i fell asleep but will definitely watch the rest of it.

i watched that only because of katherine langford <3 was quite a fun movie. i hope she gets more roles. this was her last movie and the last tv show she done was Cursed but of course netflix shit canned that.

iu
Best scene from that movie

Fbh

The Lighthouse (2019)

MnoGLHo.jpg

I enjoyed the movie but didn't particularly like the ending.
From what I gather there were going for some form of Lovecraftian horror that's so terrible it can't be comprehended and, thus, can't be shown.......... which is sort of why I don't think Lovecraft works that well in movie format.

bitbydeath

Old

Probably Shaylaman’s best, although that’s not saying too much as I’m generally not into his movies.

I wish they explained the headache way out thing more, were they teleporting back onto the beach? How could anyone rescue them without suffering the same fate?

JoduanER2

Old

Probably Shaylaman’s best, although that’s not saying too much as I’m generally not into his movies.

I wish they explained the headache way out thing more, were they teleporting back onto the beach? How could anyone rescue them without suffering the same fate?

Are you ok? Do you need help?

dorkimoe

Watched "The Survivor" on HBO last night, really was looking forward to this one. It was ok, good acting, i am a huge fan of Ben Foster. Felt like they focused on the wrong stuff in this and didnt tell a full story. Also checked Wikipedia and they left out a pretty crazy part of the story.

Shadow (2018, Zhang Yi Mou)

on7LREe.jpg

If you ever watched one of these movies, chinese historical dramas and court intrigue with a bit of sword play, watch this one! Among the ones I watched (almost all by Yimou) this is one of the best and most beautiful by far!

Really such unique visual.
It's tries to emulate "the feel" of this type of black and white art and succeeds.

2xW0LeM.png

I never watched Kagemusha, but maybe people who watched that other movie will not like this one that much. There's a similar premise, the protagonist is a "shadow" for his "lord". The history is a power struggle between them and between them and the King. There are just a few locations and the script is very focused on the characters trying to play out their ploys successfully and surviving against the others attacks and I specially liked this focus and small scale. But if you like to see cool fighting scenes and battles this movie also have those.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Rewatched Unbreakable so I could watch Glass yesterday.

Unbreakable still holds up pretty well. Prolly the best Shayamalam made after 6th sense.
Glass was decent too but imo too long for it's own sake. The whole section in the asymlum was boring as shit.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Rewatched Unbreakable so I could watch Glass yesterday.

Unbreakable still holds up pretty well. Prolly the best Shayamalam made after 6th sense.
Glass was decent too but imo too long for it's own sake. The whole section in the asymlum was boring as shit.

I prefer Unbreakable to 6th Sense. I love Unbreakable. Probably the best Superhero Movie IMO.

Glass was ok but the worst of the trilogy I think.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Random pick from Amazon Video... The King of Staten Island.

Wow, that was an amazing movie. Loved the humor and the plot. 8/10

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom