• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadayi

Banned
I actually thought this was promoted poorly. The movie is pretty cool when they are on the space ship, but you don't know any of that with the trailers.

Yeah, I must admit I was surprised they didn't push it more. Perhaps given the subject matter (the project was in development way before Covid was even a thing) Netflix perhaps decided to shy away from it?

AtlasOne

Neo Member
I watched the 2014 Godzilla movie recently in preparation for the Godzilla vs Kong movie coming out. It was a lot better than I remember and is probably my favorite monster movie ever. The cinematography alone wins me over(Godzilla reveal, parachute into the city).
maxresdefault.jpg

5RokjHX.jpg

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I watched the 2014 Godzilla movie recently in preparation for the Godzilla vs Kong movie coming out. It was a lot better than I remember and is probably my favorite monster movie ever. The cinematography alone wins me over(Godzilla reveal, parachute into the city).

I should rewatch that. I only saw it once and I was kind of tipsy, don't remember half of it.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
That movie was fine, I enjoyed it. I think the reason a lot of people aren't too big on it is because you barely see Godzilla in the film. It gets like no screentime. It's more like a character drama with some monster stuff sprinkled in.

I really hope Godzilla vs Kong focuses more on monster stuff, more smashy smash.

AtlasOne

Neo Member
That movie was fine, I enjoyed it. I think the reason a lot of people aren't too big on it is because you barely see Godzilla in the film. It gets like no screentime. It's more like a character drama with some monster stuff sprinkled in.

I really hope Godzilla vs Kong focuses more on monster stuff, more smashy smash.
You're right, the movie was more about the people on the ground which why I think I liked it more. It was a little more horror-esque instead of pure monster actions and the lead-up to the reveal was done very well IMO. I enjoyed seeing that, even though Godzilla is Neutral/Good, he still causes a lot of inadvertent death (Tsunami, building destruction).

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
You're right, the movie was more about the people on the ground which why I think I liked it more. It was a little more horror-esque instead of pure monster actions and the lead-up to the reveal was done very well IMO. I enjoyed seeing that, even though Godzilla is Neutral/Good, he still causes a lot of inadvertent death (Tsunami, building destruction).
I agree it was done fine, I just think they marketed it wrongly. I went in with different expectations and like a lot of people expected more Godzilla. If you watch it again, you will realise it's actually really well done and built up great. It makes the wait worth it.

Xenon

Finally got around to watching Sunshine. I love these sparce slow space movies that capture the emptiness of space with a masterful balance of story progression and static scenes where not much is happening. In the beginning anyway. Also great cinematography of couse. Great characters who evolved or devolved as things changed. Sadly it kinda fell apart in the end for me. Still a good expirience but a bit disappointing after so many recommendations.

Once they discovered the captain from Icarus 1 I had a hard time staying engaged simply because of the effects they used to obscure him. I get why they did it but it just killed the ending for me.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
- 7/10: Iron Man (best of the 3)
- 6/10: The Incredible Hulk
- 7/10: Iron Man 2 (worst of the 3)
- 7/10: Thor
- 7/10: Captain America: The First Avenger
- 8/10: The Avengers
- 7/10: Iron Man 3
- 7/10: Thor 2 (better than 1)
Added Thor 2. Good movie. Liked it slightly better than the first.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
On we go:

- 8/10: Captain America: Winter Soldier (better than 1, best MCU flick so far)

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
d8412d80a18f4f654d86ecab9d1fde33.jpg

Truly incredible film that everyone should see. Great performances by Jackman and Gyllenhaal, disturbing and engrossing storyline, tightly paced. You will love it. Not an easy watch but worth every second of your time. You won't regret it. It's one of the best films I've ever seen.

It is one of the only films I could actually give it an almost perfect score. Flawless in every aspect. Visually and emotionally.

Last edited by a moderator:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

Truly incredible film that everyone should see. Great performances by Jackman and Gyllenhaal, disturbing and engrossing storyline, tightly paced. You will love it. Not an easy watch but worth every second of your time. You won't regret it. It's one of the best films I've ever seen.

It is one of the only films I could actually give it an almost perfect score. Flawless in every aspect. Visually and emotionally.
It‘s a Villeneuve movie. That makes it incredible by default. And yes, l‘ve seen all of them. He has the most flawless movie record ever. If he goes on like that he may become the greatest director ever to grace Hollywood. Only reason I can‘t wait for Dune is because he made it. Guy‘s a fucking genious.

INC

I only recently watched this, still plays on my mind. As you said, its pretty much a flawless film., the score is also haunting, but with an undertone of that organ tone, adds to the religious undertone of the whole film

If you have a spare 10mins, check this write up on the symbology of the film

DISCLAIMER: SPOILERS IN THE VIDEO! (in case you havent seen it)

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I only recently watched this, still plays on my mind. As you said, its pretty much a flawless film., the score is also haunting, but with an undertone of that organ tone, adds to the religious undertone of the whole film

If you have a spare 10mins, check this write up on the symbology of the film

DISCLAIMER: SPOILERS IN THE VIDEO! (in case you havent seen it)

Seconded. I've spent countless hours watching videos doing analysis on this film. I'm sort of obsessed about it. A lot of great small details that really make this movie what it is. It really is one of those films that will stick with you for a long time.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody kind of interested in seeing Tom & Jerry? It looks mildly entertaining if not pretty derivative. At this point, I'll just be happy to go see a movie in a theatre again.
I'll probably watch it eventually. Chloe Grace Moretz is usually a decent actor, she has been great in some movies such as Kick-Ass and Let Me In. I'm not super excited over it, but it could be at least mildly entertaining like you said.

belmarduk

I'll probably watch it eventually. Chloe Grace Moretz is usually a decent actor, she has been great in some movies such as Kick-Ass and Let Me In. I'm not super excited over it, but it could be at least mildly entertaining like you said.

On a kinda but not really related note, I thought Scream 5 was coming out on 01/14/21 and excitedly told friends about it. You can imagine how crushed I was to learn that it was actually coming on 01/14/22. I really wanted that to be my movie to return to theaters to.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
On a kinda but not really related note, I thought Scream 5 was coming out on 01/14/21 and excitedly told friends about it. You can imagine how crushed I was to learn that it was actually coming on 01/14/22. I really wanted that to be my movie to return to theaters to.

giphy.gif

Yeah, quite a while away. It sucks. Hopefully it's worth the wait.

GeekyDad

So, finally...been trying to get around to it for literally years. It wasn't what I was expecting.
MV5BZGNjYjM2MzItZGQzZi00NmY3LTgxOGUtMTQ2MWQxNWQ2MmMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzM0MTUwNTY@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Network (1976)

First, let me say, Lumet has made some of my absolute favorite movies of all time, and though there is some powerful stuff here in Network, not to mention a great cast of actors, I have to leave the blame of my disappointments with the movie at Lumet's feet. I've seen these actors before, and they do great work. Granted, they were younger, but Duvall, especially, had already proven himself a great actor by the time this was made, but him and Dunaway over-act like mother fuckers here. I would have to guess it was by direction.

The movie had some great ideas, and in spite of the over-acting, I was following along because, well, it had a lot of good stuff going for it. But that fucking ending... Holy fucking shit, are you kidding me!? I won't say anymore in case anyone else who still hasn't watched it wants to, but good fucking grief. I had no idea they were gonna go down that level of ridiculous disbelief. Just silly shit!

I don't know, maybe the movie was meant to be a complete lampoon and I just wasn't aware of it. Maybe it was all my fault going in for not knowing that ahead of time, but it sure didn't feel like that's what it meant to be as I watched it, at least not until that ridiculous fucking ending.

Watch with caution and fair warning. ;)

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
On we go:

- 8/10: Captain America: Winter Soldier (better than 1)
- 10/10: Guardians of the Galaxy (one of the few I already knew, amazing flick, wonder if on the coming will beat it for me)

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
On we go:

- 10/10: Guardians of the Galaxy (one of the few I already knew, amazing flick)
- 7/10: Avengers: Age of Ultron (solid flick but I licked the first one better because, among other things, it had a much better villain; Ultron was lame)

Mr Hyde

Ondine

Very good romantic drama and possibly Colin Farrells best performance to date. It's an unusual love story, written and directed by Neil Jordan (An interview with a vampire), about a former alcoholic fisherman who one day catches a drowned woman in his fishnet.

The story then evolves into a sort of fairy tale where the drowned woman may or may not be a mermaid, or a Selke, according to Irish lore.

Very good low key performances, excellent writing and stellar cinematography, catching the look and feel of a modern fairy tale set in a realistic setting.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
260-grph_gallery-12.jpg

Cam on Netflix was a pleasant surprise. A lot more disturbing than I was expecting and kept me hooked until the end. Very interesting spin on the concept, and a unique storyline. It might actually be the best movie I've seen that takes place from a webcam, Unfriended was just decent. I still need to watch The Host, but I heard that was good.

Peggies

Gold Member
260-grph_gallery-12.jpg

Cam on Netflix was a pleasant surprise. A lot more disturbing than I was expecting and kept me hooked until the end. Very interesting spin on the concept, and a unique storyline. It might actually be the best movie I've seen that takes place from a webcam, Unfriended was just decent. I still need to watch The Host, but I heard that was good.
I liked it too. The ending was quite something.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Did a bit of a break from my Marvel movie watching because on I have time for longer flicks on Saturday.

- 9/10: JFK (classic, can be a bit slow at time but the roller-coaster that are the final 30-45 minutes are worth it; hooks me every time)

BigBooper

Watched the 4K Bluray of Spartacus. It's been decades probably since I saw it last, but it's a really good movie. It's long, at 3 hours+, but it didn’t feel that long. It was interesting throughout. I am Spartacus!

GeekyDad

p162271_p_v10_aa.jpg

Solid movie. True story, except for all the exciting parts. Chris Cooper is a damn fine actor. Ryan Philipino is not.
It's free on Prime, and I was thinking of watching it because I'm a big Chris Cooper fan. But after watching the trailer I was just kinda meh about it. Might give it a chance, though.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It's free on Prime, and I was thinking of watching it because I'm a big Chris Cooper fan. But after watching the trailer I was just kinda meh about it. Might give it a chance, though.

Cooper's great in it and there's a couple of pretty great scenes in it, but the rest is merely passable.

Watch it if you're desperate.

HE1NZ

Banned
Some recent movies I watched.

fy0PdJA.jpg

Wyler movies are always well made and feature great performances. This one is excellent too. It's a silly comedy but with a ton of charm and cute protagonist played by Margaret Sullivan (never seen her before).

F33efx1.jpg

Didn't like this one too much. It's kinda long and doesn't really have any "Kurosawa" moments. From the beginning you know how it's going to end and what's it going to be about. It's a downer, but then a little third act twist that really makes the last hour a struggle to watch. Rather pretentious and dull. Don't know where it got all the glowing ratings.

bnztaFa.jpg

Pretty fun post-Hays musical. Naturally they were forced to cut down on the amount of legs and suggestive themes, so they focused on acting and storytelling instead. I think Astaire is alright, but Ginger Rogers is just great. Apparently they've made a ton of movies together after this one so I'll check them out.

2XxRxIE.jpg

This one didn't disappoint. Cagney is intense. Great ganster/action movie. I didn't find any info on this, but I'd bet Nicholson's Joker and entire chemical factory prologue in Batman is inspired by this movie.

FzuYkoq.jpg

I'm not the biggest Kong fan, so I liked this goofy sequel more. It's genuinely funnier and has more character than the original. The effects team is the same that worked on the first movie, so it doesn't disappoint in this regard. It's a short and sweet movie.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
208893-galveston-0-460-0-690-crop.jpg

Galveston - 2018 - HBO Max | ★

Surprised by how raw and good it was. Not entirely a thriller, but not just a drama either. I've never been a huge fan of Ben Foster but his brand of acting goes over perfectly in this role. Elle Fanning is good as usual. I've never heard of this director before, French actress / director Mélanie Laurent, but I'll be sure to check out whatever she directs in the future.

Last edited:

belmarduk

I'm just watching "Happy Face Killer". Awful movie but I like David Arquette. Anybody into him?

Ive really only liked him in the aforementioned Scream series.
Does Happy Face Killer have anything to do with the popular true crime theory that there’s a gang who targets young men walking home from bars and leaves smiley face graffiti nearby as a signature?

Peggies

Gold Member
Ive really only liked him in the aforementioned Scream series.
Does Happy Face Killer have anything to do with the popular true crime theory that there’s a gang who targets young men walking home from bars and leaves smiley face graffiti nearby as a signature?
No, it's about this dude.
But your story sounds creepy. Never heard of it.

GeekyDad

little-pink-house-.jpg

Good movie, not too one-sided. I liked that it didn't get sidetracked with romance and too many things that distract from the point of the story. It felt real pretty much all of the time. That being said, I did, at times, get on my phone to check messages and such while merely listening to it in the background. And I think -- though awesome as always -- Catherine Keener was, at times, more than what this movie needed; was like bringing a tank to a knife fight in one or two scenes.

Worth a watch.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
giphy.gif

Shaun of the Dead has got to be one of the most rewatchable films out there. I don't think you will find a movie that mixes comedy and horror better. Nick Frost and Simon Pegg is a genius paring, and the cast is overall is just great. I will never tire of it.

Peggies

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Shaun of the Dead has got to be one of the most rewatchable films out there. I don't think you will find a movie that mixes comedy and horror better. Nick Frost and Simon Pegg is a genius paring, and the cast is overall is just great. I will never tire of it.
I love the whole "Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy". Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are geniuses when it comes to british comedy.
Also "Spaced" was hillarious!

Last edited:

John2290

Tenet was okay, then I give it another go before the rental ran out and wow, it's fantastic. Very few films ever achieve that, even Nolans other films which gain something on a second viewing, this is mind blowing. Knowing nothing about it beside it was a time travel film, i despised the first watching, at least the first 60% of the film and then watching it again cements all the knowledge you've compiled and it's like a puzzle that is 75% done fills in and turns out to be a beautiful picture you can appreciate. Still, Nolan took a leap that is a bit too far and the while the films makes sense the logic falls apart so easily.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I love the whole "Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy". Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are geniuses when it comes to british comedy.
Also "Spaced" was hillarious!
tenor.gif

I like them all as well, although I think Shaun of the Dead is the only one that impacted me in a big way. Hot Fuzz is also fantastic.

Spaced is very underrated, shame it didn't get more seasons. I finished that so fast. Simon Pegg has great chemistry with Jessica Hynes as well. He's one of those actors that seems to bounce off everyone really well. He even does a great job in Mission Impossible with Tom Cruise.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
On we go:

- 10/10: Guardians of the Galaxy (one of the few I already knew, amazing flick)
- 7/10: Avengers: Age of Ultron (solid flick but I licked the first one better because, among other things, it had a much better villain; Ultron was lame)
- 7/10: Captain America: Civil War (worst of the 3 CA flicks)
- 8/10: Doctor Strange (I'm a sucker for origin stories and this was really cool; also like Benedict "can't speel his last name", very charismatic; Dolby Vision picture was insane here)

Couple more to go I guess. Loads of solid movies so far (7/10), two great ones (8/10), one mediocre one (6/10) and one amazing flick (10/10).

GeekyDad

...Very few films ever achieve that, even Nolans other films which gain something on a second viewing...
Actually, I think most of his films are like that, especially Inception. There are things you don't really take notice of the first time through that can (and probably will) change your interpretation of the ending.

belmarduk

I'm watching Honey Boy on Prime.
Not sure what I expected but it's ridiculously self-indulgent even for a Shia LeBouf bio pic.

GeekyDad

I'm watching Honey Boy on Prime.
Not sure what I expected but it's ridiculously self-indulgent even for a Shia LeBouf bio pic.
Hmm...disappointed to read that. It's been on my Prime watch list, just been waiting for the mood to strike me to watch it. I'll probably still get around to it sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom