• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
idwu1hP.png

CA5kEyt.png

A thread for movie lovers to share their thoughts about stuff they've seen in 2021 and discuss them with others

A NeoGAF reboot of the Good Movies Lately thread
Directed by Viewers Like You

Thread Guidelines
  • Please be civil. Sometimes people like movies you dislike. Sometimes they may hate with a passion something you adore. Saul Goodman
  • Any kind of movie is fair game, even made-for-TV. If it's a feature length film, it's a film
  • Please mark spoilers for movies that are somewhat new (say, released within the past two years) or for movies that either rely on some kind of plot twist or has one that greatly affects the story
  • Given that some movies are prescient political thrillers (X happened in real life, so let's make a movie based on it), political discussion is bound to occur - but let's try to keep that discussion confined to the events and message(s) of the movies themselves. We have an entire forum for politics otherwise ( UPDATE: Per new forum rules NO POLITICS )
  • If you'd like something added to the OP just ask, PM is fine :)

Useful Resources
  • Flick Metrix - Allows one to search for content by streaming service provider, date of release range, average ratings by various aggregators (such as IMDB), and genre​
  • FlickSurfer - Another search tool similar to Flick Metrix in the previous bullet point​
  • Movie Spin - This is similar to that short-lived suggestion tool Netflix had for a minute, in which one feeds it movies they've seen or liked and the AI crawls through streaming services to find something they may enjoy. Coax it in the right direction by giving the suggestions a smiley or sad face. Does not include all streaming services unfortunately​
  • Netflix by language - I'm sure we all love foreign films, wherever you may reside. But sometimes you just want to watch something in your native tongue. This is a link that allows one to browse Netflix's catalog by language
    ---​
  • Letterboxd - Social media for cinephiles. Create a profile, record a diary of movies you've seen, rate and review them, create public and private lists, and connect with other users​
  • If you want to rate movies here's a few star alt code icons to copy and paste: ★ ☆​

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The Lord of the Rings - Extended Edition - 4K UHD Blu-ray - ★★★★★

I never saw the extended edition before, I was waiting all these long years for a proper 4K UHD release, which I knew it would eventually get. This has ruined all other editions for me. The quality of the remaster is top notch, probably the best I've seen. They even gave 4K re-treatment to the special effects. Having seen the extended scenes and material cut to reduce the length, I have to say I'm sad I didn't watch it sooner. They add so much more context to the goings-on, even if non book readers might not understand their full significance.

FunkMiller

The Lord of the Rings - Extended Edition - 4K UHD Blu-ray - ★★★★★

I never saw the extended edition before, I was waiting all these long years for a proper 4K UHD release, which I knew it would eventually get. This has ruined all other editions for me. The quality of the remaster is top notch, probably the best I've seen. They even gave 4K re-treatment to the special effects. Having seen the extended scenes and material cut to reduce the length, I have to say I'm sad I didn't watch it sooner. They add so much more context to the goings-on, even if non book readers might not understand their full significance.

Absolutely. Watched them over Christmas. Fabulous transfers. Well worth the price of the triple dip for me. I choke up like the smallest of little bitches when they reach The Grey Havens every time.

LOTR is simply the greatest fantasy movie trilogy of all time.

Last edited:

INC

Mission impossible: rogus nation

Say what ya like about tom cruise, but the MI franchise as a whole (excluding MI:2), is legit, plus cruise is a mad man

Rogue nation has some awesome chase scenes, plus Rebecca Fregusion isnt bad either :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Say what ya like about tom cruise, but the MI franchise as a whole (excluding MI:2), is legit, plus cruise is a mad man

Rogue nation has some awesome chase scene, plus Rebecca Fregusion is bad either :messenger_winking:

I can't believe his insurer lets him do some of the stunts he does. He's like Jackie Chan when it comes to that.

Jethalal

Banned

Rogue nation has some awesome chase scene, plus Rebecca Fregusion is bad either :messenger_winking:
Yup, not an MI guy but looking forward to his space movie. Excited to see what they'll pull off this time. Gotta laud his dedication.

Rogue nation has some awesome chase scenes, plus Rebecca Fregusion isnt bad either :messenger_winking:

I actually just watched MI4 and 6 for the first time over the weekend (Amazon didn't have 5 free on prime)

Generally enjoyed both movies. 4 was closer to what I usually expect from these with a lot of neat scenes and tension moments. The sequence with Cruise climbing that tower was really cool.

On the other hand 6/Fallout went the route of insane over the top action schlock. Once I realized it was one of those kind of movies I found myself enjoying it as the action was well done and almost constant.

John2290

Funnily enough, A film with young Obi Wan in it. Stay, pretty stunted acting but even that has a purpose by the end. It's one of those films that has your brain carving a dozen different paths and by the end it completely different than anything you would have thought about and sticks with you for a bit after until you your mind runs through the film again to see all the little hints and nods. Even saying that is spoilery but it's a 20 years old film.

GeekyDad

Knives out. I enjoyed it quite a bit. These movies are live and die by their characters which Ryan Johnson delivered. He should keep doing these.
Loved that movie. It was so well balanced and funny.

I sat through The Hate U Give yesterday. To be honest, I was flipping around a bit during the commercials (it was on FX) because at first it was feeling a bit "after-school special"-ish, but further in, it really started to show some signs of real life. I ultimately didn't agree with everything the kid arrives at at the end, but (and I could just be imagining it) I feel like the director left it for the viewer to leave with their own feelings intact. At least, I never felt like the movie was trying to shove its views down my throat. I choked up quite a few times. Good stuff, either way. Worth a watch, I say.

INC

Knives out. I enjoyed it quite a bit. These movies are live and die by their characters which Ryan Johnson delivered. He should keep doing these.

I thought it was disappointing tbh, these types of films/stories are meant to have twists and turns, this had none really

This 'whos done it' film, literally had no 'whos done it' at all, they basically make it obvious almost straight away who done it

Found it predictable and underwhelming

Clue did this type of film better, 20-30 years ag

Shame, because its one of my favourite genres, that just doesn't get made anymore

Tucker and Dale vs Evil. Fantastic twist on the psycho hillbilly theme. 9/10

Smokey and the Bandit. Buford T Justice is all your need to know. 8/10

Imagine Me and You. Romance with Lena Hedy and Piper Perabo. 8/10

Plus a huge amount of lesbian romance movies that I'll need time to sort out a list for.

Swaff

Neo Member
After my partner complained that we had watched too many action films recently, it was time for a few "chickflicks" as she put it.

The Devil Wears Prada - can't believe it took me so long to watch this, very funny throughout. The whole cast give wonderful performances, I especially enjoyed Emily Blunt and Stanley Tucci's characters. Just a thoroughly enjoyable film.

The Notebook - Unfortuntately I couldn't get in to this at all. The older couple in the care home were fantastic and I loved every scene of theirs, but the whole sequences with Gosling and McAdams were total snoozefests, and I really didn't enjoy Ryan Gosling's acting at all.

Swaff

Neo Member
I feel for you, I cant think of anything worse

Luckily my wife hates chick flicks
Don't get me wrong, I love a good chick flick or rom com so it's no chore for me. She's introduced me to loads of great films including one of my favorites in Eat Pray Love.

INC

Don't get me wrong, I love a good chick flick or rom com so it's no chore for me. She's introduced me to loads of great films including one of my favorites in Eat Pray Love.

Only lovely dovey film I dont mind, is the fountain, but thats also a sci fi head fucky film as well

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
This is going straight in the watch list. I'm sure I'll be a regular in this thread. :messenger_smiling:

I watched Menace to Society last night.

AAAABYZDxECor54O0fNpWDvLSs3FjNlKaKCoh0_6PhDfxJ1DqeJkGd_51ASBkaz2HnLHU5NpeGkTslOvW0d3GfBYctTgOWDv.jpg

Stumbled on this film after searching Netflix for what felt like forever. It caught my eye because I couldn't remember ever seeing it, and I love hood movies. I have seen Boyz n the Hood many times, but I never got around to this film. I think I watched Boyz over this because of familiar faces like Ice Cube and they came out so close to each other (1993/1995) with similar themes.

Really wish I hadn't waited so long. Wow, this movie was awesome. Within the first five minutes I could tell it was going to be wild ride. The storyline moves at a great pace and never lets up. The characters all feel very authentic, raw and powerful and every interaction feels smooth and natural. The movie certainly has some brutal moments, and I think it highlights well the brutality of growing up in this type of environment. The actor who played O-Dog was perhaps the most impressive to me.

Everyone in the film is good, and I was surprised to see actors such as Samuel Jackson have small roles. He isn't in the movie for too long, but he really makes the most of the time he is on screen. The dialogue is key in this film, there is never any times where it feels awkward or out of place. The actors bounce off one another and interact like how I would expect real people to.

I would rate this 8/10. Perhaps may be the best hood movie I've seen yet, and has to be up there with my top 90's movies now. I need to watch Boyz again, but I honestly think this may have surpassed that movie for me. It just felt more raw.

Highly recommend this film!

One of the greatest "Race and Chase" 80's movie genre. Check out Convoy and Cannonball run I + II as well.
Being born in the mid 70s I watched these films when I was growing up, they're all awesome. I recently managed to snag a free copy of the Convoy soundtrack on vinyl, first time I listened to it I had a massive grin on my face fueled by a huge amount of childhood nostalgia.
This is going straight in the watch list. I'm sure I'll be a regular in this thread. :messenger_smiling:

I watched Menace to Society last night.

AAAABYZDxECor54O0fNpWDvLSs3FjNlKaKCoh0_6PhDfxJ1DqeJkGd_51ASBkaz2HnLHU5NpeGkTslOvW0d3GfBYctTgOWDv.jpg

Stumbled on this film after searching Netflix for what felt like forever. It caught my eye because I couldn't remember ever seeing it, and I love hood movies. I have seen Boyz n the Hood many times, but I never got around to this film. I think I watched Boyz over this because of familiar faces like Ice Cube and they came out so close to each other (1993/1995) with similar themes.

Really wish I hadn't waited so long. Wow, this movie was awesome. Within the first five minutes I could tell it was going to be wild ride. The storyline moves at a great pace and never lets up. The characters all feel very authentic, raw and powerful and every interaction feels smooth and natural. The movie certainly has some brutal moments, and I think it highlights well the brutality of growing up in this type of environment. The actor who played O-Dog was perhaps the most impressive to me.

Everyone in the film is good, and I was surprised to see actors such as Samuel Jackson have small roles. He isn't in the movie for too long, but he really makes the most of the time he is on screen. The dialogue is key in this film, there is never any times where it feels awkward or out of place. The actors bounce off one another and interact like how I would expect real people to.

I would rate this 8/10. Perhaps may be the best hood movie I've seen yet, and has to be up there with my top 90's movies now. I need to watch Boyz again, but I honestly think this may have surpassed that movie for me. It just felt more raw.

Highly recommend this film!
My grandpa asked me one time if I care whether I live or die. Yeah I do. Now it's too late.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
My grandpa asked me one time if I care whether I live or die. Yeah I do. Now it's too late.
Best quote of the movie by far.

That line hit hard and deep.

I watched His House today.

his-house-netflix.jpg

Solid Netflix film, but I can see it dividing people. I don't think it will be for everyone. Best thing I can say is go in with an open mind, as it isn't just your typical horror film. Great performances from the cast and has a good atmosphere throughout. It definitely gave me a few scares, but doesn't rely too heavily on cheap thrills. Give it a shot.

I think it is rated correctly on IMDB at 6.5. That is about how I would rate it. It does some different things, and I'm always glad to find a new horror film that is able to scare me and be memorable.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The Midnight Sky (2020) - Netflix - ★★☆☆☆

Directed by and starring, largely, George Clooney. Sci-fi, a future earth on the eve of a mysterious apocalypse.

Well shot, nice visuals, and solid acting all around. Its problem is that it isn't terribly interesting. Anytime the plot threatens to lurch forward some kind of inane event that would be more at place in an action film happens, retarding progression. The story doesn't take any meaningful steps forward until literally the final fifteen minutes. It feels like a lost opportunity.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

News of the world....not very good, not even interesting.
Promising young woman....I could not finish it, just seemed like a revenge fantasy for people that think every man will take advantage of any woman.

Dr.Morris79

The missus and I watched IT 2 the other night. I honestly cannot state enough that you shouldnt bother. It was truly god awful, the worst piece of shit i've seen in years..

Doctor Sleep on the other hand, was a film she said she wanted to watch. I had zero interest and thought it would be another pants hollywood stinker but surprisingly it wasnt too bad at all, some parts were a bit much to take in (quite a grim murder scene..) but there were some good throwbacks to The Shining. It does suffer from the usual tropes but for a 'modern' horror it was okay.

I am legend.
Nothing too special imo.

But I gotta say, Will Smith is GOAT.
I know him from the Fresh Prince of course, but every movie I see him in, I forget his history completely. Even that Jada table cuck session gets forgotten.

Barrage

Had a strong compulsion to throw on a Western the other night, and went completely blind and watched The Bygone on Tubi. Not a great call. Spoilers below.

-----------------------------------------------

First of all, the movie is listed under the "Mystery" genre. There is absolutely no mystery element to it in anyway. The movie starts off with a dead-serious "this is dedicated to all the missing and killed Native women" message, that has a completely different tone to the movie, which has some bog-standard "Good Guy saves damsel" plotting. You can't go from serious crime statistics to the protagonist TALKING TO A HORSE LIKE THE HORSE IS A PERSON, THEN RIDING OUT OF THE BARN IN SLOW MOTION.

-----------------------------------------
One interesting thing is that the movie is Co-Written, Co-Directed, and starring the same person-27 year old Graham Phillips. On the triple threat scale, I'd rate him in this movie Director>Writer>Actor. The movie is gorgeous at points but sometimes loses the thread in hectic action scenes. There's some solid dialogue (I would hope so, it's a fucking western), but a dumb plot. I actually think he SUCKS as a protagonist, which is weird since he's mostly known as an actor before this. Graham wouldn't be the first actor to mis-read his believability as a cowboy badass.

2 stars out of 4. Also, the main villain (who's solid) punches Native women in the face about 4 times. It's insane.

NahaNago

I just got through the Ong bak trilogy. I'd give it a 7/10. The action was pretty much great but the story went a little too crazy on the last movie. Also finished a couple of the Gamera trilogy. I'd give it a 7 out of 10 as well. The quality in the last one dipped a bit to much due to using too much cg but I enjoy the corniness of these movies. Kinda feel like the movies really needed some kinda song to really enhance the feel of the movie or maybe play a bit more dramatic music during the boss fights for the finisher.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Terminator: Dark Fate - ★★1/2

A perfectly serviceable action film that falls far short of trying to recapture the magic of the first two installments. It starts out well enough, the story seemingly going places by the twenty minute mark. Unfortunately it then starts spinning its wheels, the plot later grows corny, and while it ends well enough it's not a satisfying conclusion for either Schwarzenegger or Hamilton's characters.

If you're a fan of the franchise, can watch it via some existing streaming service, and don't have anything else in your queue, then it's a nice time waster. All in all I think this is the final nail in the coffin - it's time for this franchise to go away. If they're not going to bring in a seriously good director with an eye on truly picking things up where it left off after Judgement Day then don't bother ever again. Not even for television.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Watched Blade again last night for the first time in years.

HFOt7Lm.gif

Still Wesley Snipes at his best. That opening rave scene. The choreography of the fight scenes. I honestly think this is one of the best Marvel films, and one of the most truest to the character. It really should get some more love.

You should watch this movie for the opening alone. Such an adrenaline fuelled opening.

Last I heard Mahershala Ali is taking up the mantle of Blade, and I think he could do a good job. Great actor.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Wheelman on Netflix.

Wheelman_%28film%29.png

You might like this Peggies Peggies

Frank Grillo plays a getaway driver after a bank robbery gone wrong.

Very exciting film that takes place pretty much entirely in a car. Quick pace at 1 hour and 20 minutes, good action scenes and Frank Grillo puts on a convincing and great performance as the leading man. It's basically like GTA the film. If you enjoy car chases and an adrenaline packed action film, this is for you.

I didn't expect much I'll be honest, and came out of it with a solid 7/10 action film. I could see myself watching it again at some point.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

HFOt7Lm.gif

Still Wesley Snipes at his best. That opening rave scene. The choreography of the fight scenes. I honestly think this is one of the best Marvel films, and one of the most truest to the character. It really should get some more love.

You should watch this movie for the opening alone. Such an adrenaline fuelled opening.

Last I heard Mahershala Ali is taking up the mantle of Blade, and I think he could do a good job. Great actor.

I really like the second one. It's a tad campy being an early del Toro action movie, but at the same time it doesn't shy away from itself like many comic book movies did prior to the MCU. It's also a cool premise: Blade, the hunter, having to work with a team that was formed and trained solely to stop him. Good stuff.

Peggies

Gold Member
Wheelman on Netflix.

Wheelman_%28film%29.png

You might like this Peggies Peggies

Frank Grillo plays a getaway driver after a bank robbery gone wrong.

Very exciting film that takes place pretty much entirely in a car. Quick pace at 1 hour and 20 minutes, good action scenes and Frank Grillo puts on a convincing and great performance as the leading man. It's basically like GTA the film. If you enjoy car chases and an adrenaline packed action film, this is for you.

I didn't expect much I'll be honest, and came out of it with a solid 7/10 action film. I could see myself watching it again at some point.

Sounds awesome! Thanks a lot Sidney. Will report back.

Fbh

Hacksaw Ridge
Solid performance by Garfield and some gruesome imagery that really makes you think about the horrors of war.
Some stuff felt a bit exaggerated, bordering on cheesy, but overall pretty good.
7/10

Also slightly off topic I guess but I just took a look at the top 21 most anticipated movies of 2021 list from IMDB and aside from Dune I saw little that caught my interest :S

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Hacksaw Ridge
Solid performance by Garfield and some gruesome imagery that really makes you think about the horrors of war.
Some stuff felt a bit exaggerated, bordering on cheesy, but overall a pretty good.
7/10

Also slightly off topic I guess but I just took a look at the top 21 most anticipated movies of 2021 list from IGN and aside from Dune I saw little that caught my interest :S

That list reads, to me at least, like "remember all of these movies we were talking about before COVID-19?". There's several in there I still have hopes of seeing in a theater one day. Top Gun: Maverick looks exactly like the kind of film I like seeing on the silver screen.

INC

HFOt7Lm.gif

blade is the best marvel film ever made

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I really like the second one. It's a tad campy being an early del Toro action movie, but at the same time it doesn't shy away from itself like many comic book movies did prior to the MCU. It's also a cool premise: Blade, the hunter, having to work with a team that was formed and trained solely to stop him. Good stuff.
Yeah, the second one might actually be better than the first in some aspects. The action scenes were ramped up a bit and it had a kick ass storyline. I also thought Jared Nomak was a great villain. Luke Goss did a great job playing him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fbh

That list reads, to me at least, like "remember all of these movies we were talking about before COVID-19?". There's several in there I still have hopes of seeing in a theater one day. Top Gun: Maverick looks exactly like the kind of film I like seeing on the silver screen.

Yeah Tom Cruise will have a great year with both Top Gun and the next MI.

Though to me they are the sort of movie I'll definitely watch and will mostly likely enjoy. But it's not the sort of movie that has me really hyped (unlike Dune)

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
The Crew on Netflix

AAAABYfIrYUjQMQu-usRj8Dz5Seu43D2fhjMWrvyRI-GaT5wUEiQ7Mu4eW-pkEvxjOenMDjak0CQIt990Ip9rpEYA1gzyCkw.jpg

This was a pleasant surprise. I haven't watched too many French films, but it was a heist movie so I was already down before it started. I really liked the pacing of this, it doesn't drone on for too long and remains engaging throughout. The storyline is nothing super original, you've definitely seen some variation of it, but it serves its purpose. This felt a bit more immersive/realistic than most heist movies due to my unfamiliarity with the cast. It made all the characters feel a bit more real, I suppose.

The shootout scenes were better than most action blockbusters, the way the actors reacted to being shot and whatnot was top notch. This movie starts of sort of slow and then just kicks in to top gear out of nowhere. It never lets up after that.

Worth a watch if you're stuck for something to watch. Make sure you watch in the original French language as the English dubbing doesn't have as much emotion. I switched it after ten minutes, and it was much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom