• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
eeC5Fkw.gif

★★★★☆ / Frank is a bit uneven, but Fassbender is fantastic as the title character, and the music is actually interesting. And I love the way it never shies away from the fact that Gleeson’s John is talentless, his songs are terrible, and he’s wrong about everything: the internet, fame, Frank himself. If John does gets a hint of redemption at the end, it’s almost despite himself. And it’s surprisingly bracing to find a music movie that refuses its characters the personal growth tropes, the creative breakthrough, and (especially) the hit.

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.evbuc.com%2Fimages%2F194709739%2F462413660862%2F1%2Foriginal.20210924-184337

The Power of the Dog
A slow burn movie set at a ranch in the early 1900s with good acting and ultimately an interesting plot. While the first half is fine, the meat of of the movie is in the second half and with an ending I did not expect. Though I feel like some motivations aren't well explained and might not have translated well from the novel. But it's worth watching and beautifully filmed. Rating: Good.

Edit: It seems like two instances of animal cruelty were included in the film, one of scaring a horse and one of castrating a bull. Disappointing as showing those made no difference to the story.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

joe-bell.jpeg

Highly recommended...for a certain type of viewer.

It's not a hero story. It's just...a story, and it's all the better for it. It's not gonna hit you over the head, pound a drum, or paint by numbers. It's particularly identifiable for me because I kind of live in a similar type of town and work with similar folks.

Anyway, the movie's a slow burn, and it really isn't until almost two-thirds through that it becomes apparent what the actual story is about. I'm really glad it talks about that too. The film isn't gonna dazzle -- AT ALL. But it truly is a true story. Good stuff.

Invasion of The Body Snatchers: A
Tremors: A
Frequency: A
Nocturnal Animals: A
Black Mass: B+
The Namesake: B+
The Devil's Double: B
The Manchurian Candidate: B
Killing Them Softly: B
Mars Attack!: C
Leon The Professional: C
Valkyrie: C
Berndetta: C
A Ghost Story: D

Last edited:
rewatched Saint Maud + It Follows.

i enjoyed both the first time i saw them but never thought much of them. it's only because i've seen so many people praise them i thought i should rewatch them.

probably would say i enjoed It Follows more than Saint Maud. Upon rewatch i think I appreciate It Follows more now. It's still a bit silly that it's a sexually transmitted ghost/demon but whatever if you can look past that it's a great movie.

Saint Maud just feels so short and bare.... i get that Maud is probably suffering from PTSD and seeks comfort in religion but i don't get the whole situation with her and the cancer patient.

sol_bad

Venom - Let There Be Carnage - Cinema
Saw this with my wife, sister, her bf and my neice. My wife and I were very disappointed with it, very poor film. Can't believe that it still went with the boring as fuck trope of kidnapping the girlfriend/love interest at the end of the film. Haven't we advanced beyond the 60's by now and can't Sony come up with more interesting end fight set ups? And speaking of women, Shriek was utterly useless as well, GRAH. Movie is too short, no time to be attached to any characters. BOOOOOOO
:(

jonnyp

Red Notice

It's the best Netflix action movie in my opinion. Most Netflix originals just plain suck, and those that happen to be good (or good enough, anyway) tend to cut corners with the budget in ways that leave them with the veneer of a genuine Hollywood blockbuster, but seem off. This one truly has a big budget, proper direction and cinematography, all that. It's funny, some of the action sequences are over the top in a good way, Dwayne Johnson and Ryan Reynolds are great together, and it might be Gal Gadot's best performance (she has definitely been benefitting from some dialect and speech coaching).

Thought it was awful personally.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Titane:

This is probably one of the 5 weirdest movies I've seen in my life. It's a french film. It's really out there. A lot of imagery and stuff that will gross you out. It's graphic and gory and can be hard to watch some scenes.

This movie basically asks you to abandon all logic. It relies on a lot of symbolism, though I wouldn't really call it artsy because it's really dark. But I felt something watching this movie. I don't know why, but I did. I thought it carried some emotional weight and I enjoyed watching it. The movie was well received, so apparently I'm not the only one who felt that way. If I tried explaining to someone what this plot is, they'd never want to see it. How can you tell someone a girl gets pregnant having sex with a car and bleeds motor oil without them looking at you and being like ummm... ok, no thanks on that movie. But if you're into the bizarre with a lot of themes to unpack, I recommend it.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Last Night in Soho:

I liked it. I don't think it was a great film. But I love psychological thriller types and I liked how this movie evolved as it progressed. It was kinda like the movie Mother! where it starts off calm and progressively gets more frantic as it continues. I saw the twist coming a mile away, but didn't hurt my enjoyment of it.

Something about ATJ though. She has a weird look, almost like she was constructed in a lab. A lot of people find her pretty, I don't find her attractive. She's definitely not ugly by any stretch, but she looks like she's 12 and looks like a barbie doll, it's weird.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The Power of the Dog - Critics are hailing this as some kind of masterpiece, but it's really boring and predictable as hell (I had the "twist" figured out within the first 20 minutes or so). All of the acting is great and the production values are high for a period piece such as it is, but yea.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I saw Fatman tonight... The humor is so dang dark LMBO! Loved the ending!

I also saw King Richard yesterday! It is a really great story! Will did his thing! And the girls playing Venus and Serena were also excellent! Loved how they didn't make their dad a saint but he loved them with his whole heart. This movie was a love letter from Venus and Serena!

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The Last Duel

Likely the best wardrobe and makeup for a medieval period piece, hands down, and by a large margin, ever made. The set design was also impeccable, as was the attention to authentically showing how nobility was treated almost like brands, or symbols, to the common folk.

I watched it super gonged, so Damon and Affleck's attempts to sound either British or French (not sure what they were going for) was extra distracting. Any accent aside from an exaggerated Bostonian or Southie is just beyond their range (I think they're both awesome actors, but they just can't do different dialects). Fantastic performances from Driver and Comer. I need to watch this a second time before I grade it, as the pacing and narrative structure had me a bit confused at times given my altered state. But first impressions: very, very good. In a non-pandemic world this probably would have been a modest box office performer if not outright success.

---

Side note: Who wants to make the 2022 movie thread? Sidney Prescott Sidney Prescott ?

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The Last Duel:

I really liked it. The one thing that was weird about it was for a movie that was very serious, it almost was a little bit satirical at times? Maybe satirical isn't the right word? Contemporary?

A lot of the dialogue used modern phrases and lingo for a film based in the 14th century. Found that an odd choice, but I'm not sure if it was a refreshing touch or not. I just found it weird. Not necessarily bad.

I thought the duel was done really well and intense, and liked the 3 scenarios from different perspectives. Subtle differences in each that I really noticed. Jodie Comer is fucking awesome, what a talent. She's gorgeous, can act, does a lot of different roles. I've loved her career to date.

I also liked how Matt Damon, Driver, and Affleck didn't speak in British accents. For the first time in feels like ages, a medieval movie where everyone doesn't have a British accent.

bitbydeath

The Green Knight

Well there goes an hour an a half I won’t get back. (I fast-forwarded the last half hour just to see how it ended). Awful, awful movie, and I’m surprised Alicia Vikander didn’t get called out for the blackface scene.

JkbY4af.jpg

images

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The Green Knight

Well there goes an hour an a half I won’t get back. (I fast-forwarded the last half hour just to see how it ended). Awful, awful movie, and I’m surprised Alicia Vikander didn’t get called out for the blackface scene.

JkbY4af.jpg

images

I'm confused. The Green Knight is a poem written in 14th century England that is based on Welsh, Irish and English folklore. Why did they need to do that?

GeekyDad

being-the-ricardos-what-we-know.jpg

Nicole Kidmans face has been destroyed. Pretty good movie if you can look past the casting though.
I've only watched Kermode's review, but I never knew anything about that part of their lives. I grew up watching I Love Lucy, but don't remember ever hearing anything about this. I am definitely curious to check it out at some point. The casting seems fine to me, though, especially Kidman, since you're supposed to be experiencing Ball's human experience.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I've only watched Kermode's review, but I never knew anything about that part of their lives. I grew up watching I Love Lucy, but don't remember ever hearing anything about this. I am definitely curious to check it out at some point. The casting seems fine to me, though, especially Kidman, since you're supposed to be experiencing Ball's human experience.

There are scenes (not all of them) where Nicole Kidmans face begins to look like this. You half expect her to be holding a knife with blood everywhere looking at the dead bodies.

3CCC614500000578-0-image-a-24_1486122289160.jpg

Lucille Balls face was pretty expressive. Kidmans face is 90 percent resin.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I watched the 19070s version of Murder on the Orient Express as well as the more recent one. I enjoyed both but wound up preferring the 70s one.

This piqued my interest and I found that all the episodes of the show are seemingly on YouTube. I am looking forward to checking those out. I'm also looking forward to the Death on the Nile movie coming out next year.

I additionally picked up the first book featuring Poirot from Apple Books as it was free. If I like it, I am going to attempt to read through as many of those as I can.

rofif

Banned
I just saw Malignant and I had so much fun !!!
This was one of most fun, surprising movie this year. It was so stupid I loved it.
The characters acted reasonably. Even the police which is not usual in these movies.
It was scary at times but also the action scenes were actually REALLY good. Especially towards the end.
It felt like "the darkness" movie thanks to the coat, long hair etc. Neat.

It's one of those "bad", but actually really fun movies. Who is the action director in this? No cuts, no camera shaking, cool moves. I really enjoyed that.

I won't spoil the main twist but holy shit I don't think I've seen that lol

Last edited:

DoomGyver

Amazons Encounter “a decorated marine goes on a rescue mission to save his two young sons from an unhuman threat. As their journey takes them in increasingly dangerous directions, the boys will need to leave their childhoods behind.”

Its supposed to be a sci-fi film about aliens but it’s not. I hate being misled. 1/10

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

Getting ready for Resurrections by doing the trilogy.

The Matrix is soooo perfect. The 4k release isn't everything I hoped it would be (perhaps it's an issue with my settings), but it's been fun revisiting it via this release on an OLED. Very impressive overall.

I'm excited to get to Reloaded, which I love (despite some flaws) and think is somewhat maligned by people in general.

I even softened on Revolutions the last time I watched it...

clarky

Gold Member
Getting ready for Resurrections by doing the trilogy.

The Matrix is soooo perfect. The 4k release isn't everything I hoped it would be (perhaps it's an issue with my settings), but it's been fun revisiting it via this release on an OLED. Very impressive overall.

I'm excited to get to Reloaded, which I love (despite some flaws) and think is somewhat maligned by people in general.

I even softened on Revolutions the last time I watched it...
The best way to get ready for resurrections is to set fire to your eye balls before hand so youll never have to unsee it

Mr Hyde

Matrix Resurrections

Absolute garbage. It didn't bring anything new to the table. It just kept going on with the same quasi intelligent philosophical banter that plagued Reloaded and Revolutions. It didn't present any new ideas, the action was considerably worse, the cinematography was not up to snuff, the new characters were boring and zero charisma (agent Smith had to be the worst casting choice I've seen in a long time, a far cry from Hugo Weaving brought to the table).

Matrix Resurrections is clear evidence that Hollywood cinema is regressing. They are out of new and exciting ideas, the CG looks cheap and fake, the actors phone it in, the stories are recycled and tedious. This is just another cynical reboot that tries to cash in on a famous IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom