• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBooper

A Christmas Carol 1984. Great version of the story, except the Future Spirit is kind of lame. Something I never thought of before. Maybe Bob Crachet didn't make enough considering his experience, but he was affording to support eight people on one salary and have a house in London. They weren't living the life of luxury, but try that nowadays on one salary.

It's a Wonderful Life. I watch this at least every couple of years. It's a sweet movie.

Last edited:
There’s someone inside your house and no one sleeps in the woods tonight 2.

hey that actually sounds cool as a sentence lol. anyway I watched NSITWT2 cause I’m sure I saw the first one but I couldn’t remember what happened in it. 2 was a bit boring but loved how silly and gory it was.

there’s someone inside your house was crap.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
A1abi3dnL9L._RI_.jpg

I'm surprised people like the theatrical version better. I thought the added scenes were great.

My favorites this year

Spider-Man No Way Home: A+
The Green Knight: A+
Dune: A+
Luca: A+
Trick R Treat: A+
Sleepy Hollow: A+
Evangelion 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance: A+
Evangelion 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time: A+
The Color Out Of Space: A+
American Psycho: A+
Love and Monsters: A+
Sound of Metal: A+
The Devil's Advocate: A+
Lincoln: A+
Before Midnight: A+
Before Sunset: A+
Hugo: A+
Rosemary Baby: A+
Raging Bull: A+
Eyes Wide Shut: A
Basic Instinct: A
Evangelion 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo: A
Evangelion 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone: A
Crimson Peak: A
The Ritual: A
Antlers: A
Saint Maud: A
Kill Your Darlings: A
Invasion of The Body Snatchers: A
Nocturnal Animals: A
Tremors: A
Frequency: A
Starship Troopers: A
Fear Street Part 3 1666: A
Total Recall: A
The Fly: A
Robocop: A
Ip Man 3: A
The Mist: A
Hellraiser: A
Books of Blood: A
Child Play Remake: A
Southbound: A
Frankenweenie: A
The Help: A
Allied: A
The Abyss: A
Splinter: A
Species: A
You're Next: A
Willy's Wonderland: A
The Void: A
The Map of Tiny Perfect Things: A
Before Sunrise: A
The Omen: A
Rocky IV: A

The French Dispatch.

Loved it. I like a well done vignette film, and it's a perfect format for Wes Anderson. The personality of the characters was unique in every one of the 4 stories, and it was a highlight to see Bill Murray interact with each of them as the consistent thread to the story.

Best character was Nescaffier.

------------------------

This movie is sinister. The end gives me chills.

My favorites this year

Rosemary Baby: A+

Last edited:
Top things I saw on Netflix and HBO in 2021 (from any year):

Movies
  • Oxygen - I'm a sucker for sci-fi mystery stuff so this is up my alley and Melanie Laurent does some great acting as usual.
  • The Occupant - Great spanish thriller about a man not happy with his current life who starts spying on the family in his former apartment.
  • The Platform - I mean, it's a pretty accurate representation of humanity 😅.
  • The Power of the Dog - Pacing could have been a bit better but really beautifully filmed movie with a strong second half.
  • Escape Room - Good stupid fun.
  • Prospect - A quiet but lovable low budget sci-fi.
  • Vivarium - Only a decently enjoyable story tbh, but the imagery and setting sticks with me more than anything else I saw.

Shows
  • Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day - Yeah, this has its share of anime tropes and stuff, but damn if it didn't get me emotional in the end.
  • Sophie: A Murder in West Cork - Really intriguing documentary and it's hard to believe that things turned out as they did in the end.
  • 12 Dates of Christmas S1&2 - What can I say - I'm a sucker for reality TV / dating shows. There's nothing here for you if you don't enjoy those. This one has a cozy winter setting and both straight and gay leads which I found intriguing. Along with one or two real "Did they seriously just do that!?" moments and at least one actual love story.
  • Björnstad/Beartown - Actually reminds me that I didn't finish this because my trial ran out. But what I saw was very good stuff.
  • Squid Game - Doesn't do anything exceptional but is a lot of fun with excellent visuals and I really like this genre.
Honorable mention: Stranger - This is a very well done korean crime show with a Sherlock Holmes "Lite" as the protagonist. But, it's a bit slow, the plot is rather complex and that's compounded by having to read subtitles and keep track of korean names. Still wanted to give it a mention though.

Turd of the year: Prey. It looked like The Ritual so I thought it could be a good movie. What a piece of trash.

Last edited:

sCHOCOLATE

MV5BZDdkODg3YzctMGVmZS00ZDM5LWIzNTctZDRlMjA5Mjc4MGViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODE5NzE3OTE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Great movie. Superior to Crimson Tide in every way save for 2. CT had Denzel and a much better OST. Oddly enough, The Hunt for Red October felt like the greatest Star Trek episode ever made.
It's probably fortunate when Ramius defected and eventually exited the sub, Baldwin's character didn't have him and the crew at gunpoint...

NahaNago

I just got through watching 3 ninjas. I really like these old corny movies. I was getting a home alone but with ninjitsu added into the mix vibes for the movie with all of the stunts they pulled in the house. I'll probably go through the rest of them this week plus surf ninjas. I do wonder what a 3 ninjas would be like to today but I also worry that they will mess it up just like the last home alone movie.

71ZvePa0rrL._SY445_.jpg

I didn't even read the "crosses tnmt and home alone" review in the image until after I finished typing my thoughts :messenger_tears_of_joy:

rewatched Saint Maud + It Follows.

i enjoyed both the first time i saw them but never thought much of them. it's only because i've seen so many people praise them i thought i should rewatch them.

probably would say i enjoed It Follows more than Saint Maud. Upon rewatch i think I appreciate It Follows more now. It's still a bit silly that it's a sexually transmitted ghost/demon but whatever if you can look past that it's a great movie.

Saint Maud just feels so short and bare.... i get that Maud is probably suffering from PTSD and seeks comfort in religion but i don't get the whole situation with her and the cancer patient.
Saint Maud and It Follows are both great horror movies. Both grade A horror flicks
Kevin Spacey 90S GIF

And like that he was gone ..... still holds up and as a film was the original spoiler alert amazing film in my opinion.
I just saw this tonight. I absolutely loved it

watched Malevolent last night. think i must've watched it before. it's set in Scotland and some of the accents were awful (i'm scottish). two of the actors are scottish but it just makes me cringe listening to scottish people thinking do i really sound like that? lol. anyway, movie sucked :messenger_tears_of_joy: only watched it because of Florence Pugh.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
A Quite Place 2

I can‘t believe I‘m writing this and I do not think I have ever before but I found this movie a bit too short. The ending didn‘t feel right at all. But aside from that it was a fantastic flick. Finally a movie that gets going right away again. Super thrilling too. Better than part one.Great stuff.

8/10

dorkimoe

I just got through watching 3 ninjas. I really like these old corny movies. I was getting a home alone but with ninjitsu added into the mix vibes for the movie with all of the stunts they pulled in the house. I'll probably go through the rest of them this week plus surf ninjas. I do wonder what a 3 ninjas would be like to today but I also worry that they will mess it up just like the last home alone movie.

71ZvePa0rrL._SY445_.jpg

I didn't even read the "crosses tnmt and home alone" review in the image until after I finished typing my thoughts :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Surf Ninjas is awesome when I was growing up same with 3 Ninjas. If i recall the second one is really good too but the third sucked.

Other movies for you, Remote, Prehysteria!, Chairman of the Board

Burning Blade

Gold Member
Just finished Ghostbusters Afterlife, my daughter and I loved it. One of the few good homages to a beloved franchise. I thought it was funny and heartfelt and maintained a lot of that 80s movie authenticity. Really really happy this didn’t disappoint!

GeekyDad

Just finished Ghostbusters Afterlife, my daughter and I loved it. One of the few good homages to a beloved franchise. I thought it was funny and heartfelt and maintained a lot of that 80s movie authenticity. Really really happy this didn’t disappoint!
Glad to hear it. Looking forward to seeing it in the future.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
m9g1Ng8.jpg

This film is......... surprisingly very good! Really great adaptation of what is IMO, Jane Austen's greatest novel. The casting was absolutely spot on and I really felt like I was transported to Regency era England. The use of English folk music in the soundtrack was a nice touch. 4/5

NahaNago

Surf Ninjas is awesome when I was growing up same with 3 Ninjas. If i recall the second one is really good too but the third sucked.

Other movies for you, Remote, Prehysteria!, Chairman of the Board

I'm pretty sure I've seen Prehysteria a billion years ago and for the Chairman of the Board I'm unsure of but I know I've seen that cover quite a few times. I've never even heard of the Remote movie.

After pondering over rebooting 3 ninjas, I think honestly doing it as a Disney kid's show would probably work best since the movies were really goofy.

dorkimoe

I'm pretty sure I've seen Prehysteria a billion years ago and for the Chairman of the Board I'm unsure of but I know I've seen that cover quite a few times. I've never even heard of the Remote movie.

After pondering over rebooting 3 ninjas, I think honestly doing it as a Disney kid's show would probably work best since the movies were really goofy.
Remote is like home alone. Kid uses a remote control to fend off robbers or something.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Free Guy - Loved it. Was funny, had heart, some great cameos. While there are a handful things lifted directly from existing games they did a good job of having a ton of allusions to existing games that anyone who games will recognize, without it feeling like they're hitting you over the head with IP after IP that something like Ready Player One does. Cool little touches like seeing some random player in the background lagging out and such. A surprisingly bittersweet, though definitively happy, ending.

Last edited:
cub1emL.gif

★★★★☆ /Shin Godzilla is Godzilla via Evangelion sensibilities, razor sharp, lightning fast conversations about reputation and accountability punctuate lumbering, physical sequences of wonton destruction to a pretty brutally critical effect. It’s nakedly critical of bureaucratic red tape and disaster relief in a way that makes for a really interesting contrast to the traditional monster sequences. it may be lacking in character empathy for some, but I think it’s a fierce, interesting take on the genre of monster movie, by someone who has plenty of interesting things to say. Want more Hideaki Anno Godzillas for certain.

Aurelius

Drive My Car

122990.jpg

Buried somewhere in the overlong running time (it’s longer than Dune!) and layers of pretentiousness, was actually quite a moving story about dealing with grief and guilt. I was a lot better than the last film I saw based on a book by Murakami, Norwegian Wood. That one put me to sleep.

3/5

Last edited:
The Lighthouse

001-lh-ss-03805-rc-jpg-1571338342.jpg

Just incredible. Best performance I've ever seen from Pattinson and him and Willem Dafoe work together beautifully. Had me engrossed until the end.

Black and white definitely helped with immersion, and I'm glad they went with the choice.

Still not fully sure what I watched by the end, but I know I was fully in to it the entire way through, and kept me wondering what was going to happen. I felt as insane as the characters being isolated, and I imagine that was the intention.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
The Lighthouse

Just incredible. Best performance I've ever seen from Pattinson and him and Willem Dafoe work together beautifully. Had me engrossed until the end.

Black and white definitely helped with immersion, and I'm glad they went with the choice.

Still not fully sure what I watched by the end, but I know I was fully in to it the entire way through, and kept me wondering what was going to happen. I felt as insane as the characters being isolated, and I imagine that was the intention.
I wish there were more stories like The Lighthouse at the same level quality.

Mother|Android

Booooooooooooooooorinnnnngggggggg. And it's a 74 minute movie. Had it been only about survival and less human love/interaction bullshit, it'd have been 100x better.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

916wu-nlxWL._SY445_.jpg

Watched it yesterday. It was quite moving. I wasn't sure what to expect, really, and I didn't even know what it was about. The start of it was a bit slow, and I wasn't sure about Louis CK's acting at the beginning, but it really drew me in. The ending was pretty great.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Eternals

The least Marvel-formula Marvel movie I've seen thus far, to uneven results. The stakes were meant to be cosmic but certainly never felt that way. Marvel movies have always left me with an endearing feeling towards the characters, even the bit ones, leaving me wondering if and when I'll see them again. As this movie concluded I realized I don't care if any of them ever show up in a future Marvel film, and if they don't it wouldn't be any kind of loss really. They're all empty vessels individually, and not all that interesting together either.

As an action sci-fi with some dramatic elements it's an average 2.5 / 5.

Fbh

Don't look up
I liked it, it was entertaining, I enjoy the dynamic rhythm in Adam McKay movies, it makes some valid points and Leo is pretty good in this (Jennifer Lawrence not so much). It lacked a bit more subtlety in its political commentary though, specially towards the end. And it feels a bit overlong 3/5

Ghostbuster Afterlife
Between the lack of compelling new characters and the over reliance on nostalgia, I didn't think it was particularly good. Then again it's still entertaining enough to be worth a watching if you like the franchise. 2.5/5

The Collini Case.

Good acting but it's rather slow and Netflix spoiled the (arguably predictable) twist in the description (thx Netflix). 2.5/5 (probably would have given it a 3 without the spoiler from netflix)

ManaByte

1-being-the-ricardos-2021.jpg

Wasn't what I expected. Heard it was just about one week in the show's production, but I didn't know it was THAT week and that he used that as a framing for a more extensive biopic. Even though it jumps around in time a bit, it reminded me a little of Steve Jobs.

Kidman probably has the Oscar on lock though.

NahaNago

I saw Belle in theaters. The movie was for the most part fairly solid. The songs was I would say are decent but nothing that really was addictive or a hit for me. I did see the sub version though. I'll try to see the dub version later this week. I did listen to the dub versions of the song after I left the theater and they seemed worse that the Japanese version. I vaguely remember hearing some drama that this was a feminist movie a while back and I would say for the most part that it is not some woke movie. The artwork and cg was again fairly solid. The visuals dipped a couple of times with the more blatant cg. The pearl dress was terrible. I really enjoyed the movie most during the lighthearted moments between her and her friend. The movie unfortunately fell when it came to it's suppose to be climatic ending and ends with just a whimper. That ending was sooo bad. The movie for the most part just felt like it was just a bit from being great in many places. Everything was like mostly okay and you could see if they just tweaked it here and their it would have been amazing. The movie really felt like a spin off of summer wars, a movie that that I absolutely loved. I'd give this movie a rating of just a "B".

The songs felt like they should have been sung by Hikaru Utada.
Belle-poster.jpeg
Belle_2021_Poster.jpg

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
The Lighthouse

Great movie. Felt like a fever dream. Loved the supernatural (?) aspect as well as the social dynamic/isolation theme.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Fast & Furious 9 -pure thrash, but they went to space. What's next?

No Time to Die - loved it.

Outbreak - oldie, but goodie.

New Jurasic Parks

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Watched the newest Oliver Stone JFK documentary. Not sure how much of it was new, I've seen so many over the years, but I always like stuff regarding that subject.

Hope one day we find out once and for all what, if anything, went down.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Watched The Power of the Dog, what a shit ending and what a fucking let down. Do not watch.
I thought it'd culminate to a redemption arc for rugged violent closeted gay Phil warming up via Peter and everyone being better off but the little psychotic dipshit just saw a way to murder him on the sly with the anthrax poisoned cow's hide he gave him to use for the rope that was lovingly made for him?! 😡

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Watched The Power of the Dog, what a shit ending and what a fucking let down. Do not watch.
I thought it'd culminate to a redemption arc for rugged violent closeted gay Phil warming up via Peter and everyone being better off but the little psychotic dipshit just saw a way to murder him on the sly with the anthrax poisoned cow's hide he gave him to use for the rope that was lovingly made for him?! 😡

I also wonder how he knew the hides were going to be given away by drunk Dunst so that they needed the prepared anthrax hide.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom