• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
In_the_Heart_of_the_Sea_poster.jpg

Got pretty mediocre reviews but I enjoyed it. First 20 minutes was a bit flat but it picked up.

I always passed on this because the trailers made it seem so mediocre. May as well give a watch now that it's on streaming.

Last edited:
Hotel Transylvania 4,saw this not knowing nothing I liked the last three,and this one was alright,I was seeing the credits and ,what no Adam Sandler the count sounded just like him and also now Kevin James I have no idea why they weren’t in this.

GeekyDad

sggkh+%5B%5Blxx*9*8638*8639_8_muochl_mvg%5Bwmn%5Bzkr%5Be3%5B9WD3XwV5tBgBc1rb6zq1th0DgCV%5BZZZZYwdkOb4CpcUqQiDlX%5DvybHRikTEJTh2epwfudH5LwVLFuqqTgWusnFTB0IF1ASzEVssHJ3LsRXCU05UkHkSd4tet1yP8adUX.jpg

Hmm...kinda dorky feeling at the start, but some good feels. Slow to get where its going, and from the way the trailer presented it, I was beginning to think I had been misled. It has some very passionate, moving scenes that had me welling up inside. But it was also very heavy-handed, and though I know nothing about the South Korean legal system (and considering this was set in the 70s and 80s), I find it hard to believe they'd allow an attorney to have such free license to say what this guy does in several courtroom scenes.

I wonder if it's just a matter of culture. I remember movies like this from the 70s that were also very passionate and blatant about the points they were trying to make emotionally, but this was made in, what, 2013/2014? Ultimately, disappointing to me.

kalecsan

Banned
Dunno how I ended up with a list of quirky scifi movies in a .txt, but I started today with "Beyond the Black Rainbow"

That list is already deleted.

Next task is to finish all Bergman films.

GeekyDad

true-detective-696x442-1.png

-True Detective: Season 1

I know it's technically not a movie, but each season is kind of its own story. Been wanting this for a long time. The full episodes really do live the up to those hilarious, exciting, interesting clips on Youtube. But they also give things the perspective necessary to see it as more than simply spiritually dark. If you don't watch this, you're missing out on one of the greatest dramas ever made. Wow...

true-detective-696x442-1.png

-True Detective: Season 1

I know it's technically not a movie, but each season is kind of its own story. Been wanting this for a long time. The full episodes really do live the up to those hilarious, exciting, interesting clips on Youtube. But they also give things the perspective necessary to see it as more than simply spiritually dark. If you don't watch this, you're missing out on one of the greatest dramas ever made. Wow...
Absolutely. Also you get to see Alexandra Daddario's tits.

MV5BM2E4ZGFmZTgtMDVkYS00ZTk0LWIzYWMtODk5OGVmYmEyMzEzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODk4OTc3MTY@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Finally got around to seeing Scream 5. It was awesome, I liked it more than Scream 4.

This is surprising to me because it wasn't directed by Wes Craven, and not written by Kevin Williamson. They should be proud of it. Rare to find a sequel that I enjoy as much as the original film. I'd honestly say this overtakes Scream 2. Very good film that feels like the old films, whilst being modern at the same time. Which is not easy to pull off.

GeekyDad

I_Heart_Huckabees_poster.JPG

Well, I didn't actually watch it (yet), but I watched the trailer. What the fuck is it with trailers these days. They kinda show you the whole thing in a minute or two. I watched it because I couldn't remember what it was about or who was in it, but I remember it coming out years ago and being well received. But after watching the trailer, I feel like I know exactly what happens from start to end and who ends up with whom.

Eh...added it to my watch list anyway.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
My wife and I watched "A Hero" last night. It's an exceptional film by an extremely talented Iranian director. Here is the trailer:

"A Separation" from the same directory was terrific. That movie deservedly won a ton of international film awards.

ZEL7gqX.gif

★★★★★ / One of the greatest. No words can describe the combination of the music and end scene. If you don't get touched by that, I don't know what else can.
Pacino knew in the very end, he killed his brother, but he held back tears. I'm going to be honest , this scene was so powerful that I cried, they admired and respected each other for their expertise, no matter wrong or right. Deniro, I feel, was extending his hand as a "Thank you, I'm glad it was you." Pacino had to swallow his own remorse.

hotbrew

Neo Member
ZEL7gqX.gif

★★★★★ / One of the greatest. No words can describe the combination of the music and end scene. If you don't get touched by that, I don't know what else can.
Pacino knew in the very end, he killed his brother, but he held back tears. I'm going to be honest , this scene was so powerful that I cried, they admired and respected each other for their expertise, no matter wrong or right. Deniro, I feel, was extending his hand as a "Thank you, I'm glad it was you." Pacino had to swallow his own remorse.
I literally just finished watching this for the first time. What an amazing movie. I have no idea why it took me so long to get to it. Listening to The Rewatchables episode now

ZEL7gqX.gif

That ending has one of the best music too

I watched this on tubi now this is pretty good it’s abought a fisherman that gets lost in the fog and runs into a sailboat he goes in and finds it’s abandoned he uses the radio and no answer he goes back to his boat to find it gone so now he’s stuck on this boat it seems like the boat wants to kill him lots of freak occurrences happen he hears like someone is with him but nothing there was always a sense of dread in this movie I loved it.
71P6Bu3TMoL._SY500_.jpg

GeekyDad

17967e126f38460594705be19b99ee573cd169ddec656c461cf851119a4d5e22.jpg

Got about a half hour in and gave up...

There's some good stuff there, not least of all Andrew Garfield's performance, which is very believable. But the movie kept dipping into its own (I'm assuming Redford's own) gospel, rather than just following the dramatic story buried beneath all that. And in spite of their seemingly Goliath-sized egos, the three mains are still excellent actors. It's just sad Redford can't keep his philosophical wang out of the story. And why does he still color his hair? Dude's like 80 now.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Wait, WTF!!!!!!

I like his other film - Miami Vice - better. The music and visuals were incredible. Plus Gong Li.

Watched Ted K, the movie about Unabomber told by his point of view. It's a very slow burn but I enjoyed it. They portrayed the man pretty well, the actor even speaks in a similar manner, really cool.

GeekyDad

51TOTGo7n2L._SY445_.jpg

It's been years since we've seen it, and the YT quality terrible. So, I nabbed it off Amazon the other day. Such a great set.

Hacksaw Ridge: A+
The Usual Suspects: A
The Cursed: A
Death On The Nile: A
Dog: A
I Want To Eat Your Pancreas: A

My favorites that I watched this year so far

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Watched Ted K, the movie about Unabomber told by his point of view. It's a very slow burn but I enjoyed it. They portrayed the man pretty well, the actor even speaks in a similar manner, really cool.

It did nothing for me, we learn nothing about anything and it's slow without being deep or interesting. I enjoyed that Manhunter docu-drama series with Paul Bettany so much more.

GeekyDad

Last Flag Flying

Again...

I think this makes the fifth or sixth time in a little over a year, I've lost count. It just resonates with me very much. The tears just keep rolling.

bitbydeath

The King’s Man - 3/10

I had big expectations for this movie after the first two, but it was utter trash and needs to be buried deep in a desert somewhere, and completely forgotten.

Why they chose to focus a large portion of the story
on a kid going to war instead of the creation of the Kingsman is beyond me. Why he even chooses the army over a secret service aimed at ending the war is ludicrous in itself.

The writing was complete tosh.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
A movie on Netflix called Slapface. It's not really a horror movie as much as It's an allegory about bullying and what it can do to someone's psyche.

RAÏSanÏa

Watched the 2010 adaptation of the The Tempest starring Helen Mirren as Prospera and Felicity Jones as Miranda.
The most accurate interpretation to my vision I've yet seen.

Having heard Russell Brand dully prattle on recently it seems like he still hasn't dropped character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom