• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MowingGAF: My lawn mower just went bottom up. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
poulan-pro-pr700awd-272880ff.jpg
Had this mower (or a very, very similar one) for a few years now. It wasn't the best mower ever, but I got it at a surplus store on discount. It's done the job since then.

Anyways, fast forward to today.

I gassed up the mower today with new gas, just fyi.

I was mowing the lawn, and the engine eventually kept stopping. I got sick of this, and figured that it might be just grass blocking the blade now that it's been packed up in there. So, I carefully remove the packed grass from underneath the mower, and cleared the area where the blade spins. All nice and tidy. I had it tilted, but it wasn't for long.

So, I turn on the mower. Works fine.

The engine stops again. I start it again.

Blue and gray smoke EVERYWHERE. The mower is running, but the smoke is too much to bear. I shut off the mower, give it a tiny bit, and try it again.

BANG. Loud noise, almost like a gunshot, followed by more plumes of smoke, this time closer to black and grey.

I turn off the mower, let it sit for a few minutes. I inspect the oil - not burnt, at a good level. The gas didn't leak out, and isn't overflowing. I didn't flood the engine, as I only choked it a few times prior to starting the engine.

Now, I start it again. No smoke, no bang. I begin to push it - more smoke begins to plume out.

So, here I am - sitting with a lawn ~10% mowed, a mower that works but spits awful smoke everywhere, and being frustrated.

What do you recommend, GAF? Should I wait it out and see if the smoke stops later? Should I buy a new mower? Should I try and get this one repaired?

Did you flood the engine with oil? In my experience too much blue smoke is the result of burning excess oil, while the dark/black smoke could be disrepair.

When was the last time you took your mower to a small engine repair for a tuneup? Last time you performed an oil change? An oil change may help eliminate the blue smoke, a carburetor clean might help you with the black smoke (both of which you can do yourself at home with some tools, and some stuff you can pick up at home depot/lowes)

It starting is a good sign, if a mower starts it can be saved...

The smoke coming out is not unusual after tilting the mower. I know with my mower when you tilt it, oil can get into the combustion chambers or something and the oil gets burnt when you use it right away making all the nasty smoke . I don't think it damages the mower unless your oil levels are low. I would try cleaning your air filter. It should be pretty easily accessible and commonly gets clogged with stuff preventing enough air from mixing with the gas

Well stop using regular gas and find some ethanol free in your town. Regular can cause this exact problem: http://www.tractorsupply.com/know-h...ol-and-its-effects-on-outdoor-power-equipment

I look into that regardless of how I resolve this situation. Thanks!

Did you flood the engine with oil? In my experience too much blue smoke is the result of burning excess oil, while the dark/black smoke could be disrepair.

When was the last time you took your mower to a small engine repair for a tuneup? Last time you performed an oil change? An oil change may help eliminate the blue smoke, a carburetor clean might help you with the black smoke (both of which you can do yourself at home with some tools, and some stuff you can pick up at home depot/lowes)

It starting is a good sign, if a mower starts it can be saved...

The oil is fine. I changed it right at the end of mowing season last Fall, so it'd be good to go the next season. It's at a good level and it's not burning or flooding.

The mower has never been repaired or tuned up.

The oil is fine. I changed it right at the end of mowing season last Fall, so it'd be good to go the next season. It's at a good level and it's not burning or flooding.

The mower has never been repaired or tuned up.

Take out the spark plug and pull the crank. You may get some oil/fuel/gunk out of the plug's port. is that is the case, then you definitely should have the carburetor cleaned. This is just one thing, that can come up on older used mowers (as the gasoline ages in the mower and becomes varnish, so even if you drained the gas after the last mow in the fall you can still end up clogged)

I would look online and see if you have a local small engine repair shop, if you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself. The prices are usually competitive, and its always easier than having to hunt and shop for a new lawn mower (though it may cost more than a "Cheap" new mower). Quality that can be repaired over cheap throw away, anyday.

alejob

My lawn mower is having a hard time starting. To make matters worse I ran over some wire yesterday. I thought I broke something cuz it sounded terrible. It quit on me and then I had a really hard time getting it to start :(

MJPIA

Is this the first time you've used the mower since last year?

I don't know your level of mechanical knowledge so I'll make a basic writeup that pretty much anyone can do if they have a basic set of tools.
This is what I'd do.
I'd pinch the fuel hose to the carb shut and remove the carb bowl.
When water gets in the gas tank generally it'll go to the lowest point in the system which is usually the carburetor float bowl and when ethanol and water meet they kinda turn into a gel substance.
That gel can block up stuff in there and reduce the capacity of fuel that the bowl can hold which can cause it to starve.

This is what the bowl will look like.
Removing the bowl is easy on most small engines, pinch the fuel line with some sort of clamp to prevent fuel from pouring out, usually a iirc 7/16" wrench (A simple adjustable wrench will work fine as well) to remove the bolt holding the bowl on and check to see what is in it.
If there is water in the bottom you'll see it.

Then I'd clean the bowl out and use carb/choke cleaner or brake cleaner (I wanna say they are the same thing and usually brake cleaner is cheaper) and spray everything that is visible now that the bowl is removed.

Then take a look at the bolt that held the carb bowl on, usually it'll be hollow with tiny holes drilled into the side somewhat like this.
Those holes can get clogged with stuff so usually I spray the inside full of brake cleaner, clean the holes out with some kind of tiny wire and/or blow the entire thing out with air.

This has solved a few issues I've had with small engines running for a small time then dying several times although you probably should shine a flashlight in the tank to see if there is water in the bottom because if there is it will eventually end up in the fuel bowl and doing the same thing several times isn't fun.

One other thing that comes to mind is checking the fuel filter, usually there is a line from the tank to the filter and from the filter to the carb.
The hoses on these are usually held on by spring clamps that you can use a pair of pliers to open them and slide them up the line.
Pull off the hose from the tank to the filter and observe flow coming out.
Reconnect to the filter and remove hose from engine side of the filter and check its flow.
If its trickling or doesn't flow as fast as the tank side the filter could be clogged which means the engine could be consuming fuel faster than the fuel can make it through the filter which also will eventually lead to the engine starving.

As for the smoke I'd say that even though you didn't have it tilted for long oil got past the rings.
Usually pulling the spark plug and spinning the engine will get most out and its a good time to inspect the plug as well and even if you don't after several minutes it'll usually clear up.

King Al B

The smoke is from the oil getting in the combustion chamber when you tipped it on its side. No worries, it will burn off and clear up.

Go by a new spark, @ $2

Clean or buy a new air filter. If its a foam filter, dish soap and hot water will work.

Buy a can of SeaFoam. With the air filter off dump a crap load in the carborator. Let it sit for about say 15mins.

Prime the shit out of the carborator, if it has one.

Start it, its gonna start hard and smoke like a bitch. And probably gonna stall a few times. But when the seafoam is all cleared out, it should pur like a kitten.

I have fixed many push mowers this way. 99% of the time cleaning the carb and a new plug is the fix.

MJPIA

My lawn mower is having a hard time starting. To make matters worse I ran over some wire yesterday. I thought I broke something cuz it sounded terrible. It quit on me and then I had a really hard time getting it to start :(
Like metal wire that caused it to go from running at full speed to zero in a second?

Anyone have experience with manual lawn mowers?
Have a sears reel mower from the 90's I picked up at a thrift store.
It works rather well normally but it doesn't like it if if your grass gets real tall.
Then I have to take running starts to get the reel spinning fast enough to effectively cut the grass.
That fancy 4 wheeled one that home depot and all the other stores sell for $200 is probably far better than what I have but I don't know anything about that one.
Mine is great for exercise though.

n64coder

just finished mowing, still works. Honda makes good shit.
Their push mowers are decent but their riding mowers suck which is why they No longer make them. I know because I bought one. Overpriced junk.

I have a Toro Recycler mower with a B&S engine that is 12+ years old and still runs great. Ditto for my Ariens snowblower with Tecumseh engine. If you take care of them, any engine will work fine. I find the B&S or Tecumseh easier to start than my Stihl or Tanaka or Honda motor.

The other tip I have is to mulch and not bag your clippings. Saves time and it's better for the grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom