• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Inbetween - Crime Drama / Comedy - Starring Scott Ryan

Catphish

Google synopsis:

"Mr Inbetween" is a half-hour comedy series inspired by the cult film "The Magician" and centers around Ray Shoesmith. Juggling a relationship, parental responsibilities, friendships and a sick brother while earning a living would be difficult for anyone, but it's particularly difficult for Ray since he's a criminal for hire. Ray "takes care of people" -- collecting debts, relieving them of drugs and guns, and often taking care of them on a more permanent basis. Ray demands respect and does not tolerate it when someone disregards his very clear code of ethics.

---

Just finished this last night on Hulu. Fucking outstanding show. 26 episodes, ~30min each, across 3 seasons, so, just slightly longer in total than your standard season of 10 1-hour episodes of many modern shows. And it's far too good to be over so soon. :(

Based in Australia, it gets instant points from me, as I'm a bit of a sucker for good shows that take place outside the US, not to mention my insatiable predilection for anything British, Irish, Japanese, or Australian. And it is a very good show.

You get it all with this one; a good story, interesting characters, a great lead, drama, tension, heartache, comedy,.. just plenty of impactful moments across the emotional spectrum.

Can't recommend it highly enough. It wraps up rather neatly at the end of the third season, as this was the plan by lead star and showrunner Scott Ryan, but, if you're anything like me, you'll sorely wish there was more.

Not perfect, but close enough. A rare gem from my perspective. 9.5/10 (y)(y)

I watched this last year and it's one of the best things I've ever seen. Some of the episodes are quite slow (not that I mind but it might not be to everyone's tastes) and it takes a while to get going. However, there are many genuinely funny moments. It can also be moving and extremely violent.

I'd see it as a very thoughtful meditation on masculinity, warts and all.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Watched it as it aired and thought it was great, walking that fine line between comedy and slice of life realism.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Shame it’s taken years for this hit to finally get the accolades it deserves that have started to filter through like most modern classics, always take a while to be noticed. Then you have trash picked up season after season like Animal Kingdom…

Watch ‘The Magician’ it’s what Mr Inbetween is based from originally,

Catphish

Shame it’s taken years for this hit to finally get the accolades it deserves that have started to filter through like most modern classics, always take a while to be noticed. Then you have trash picked up season after season like Animal Kingdom…

Watch ‘The Magician’ it’s what Mr Inbetween is based from originally,
In the works :)

Yoboman

Just did a rewatch after it went viral again recently because of TikTok. Seems like it become more popular than ever

7wU6lTh.jpg

I expect Scott Ryan to continue emerging more in the next few years

Anyway mostly just wanted to bump so more people don't miss this show

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I started watching it and really enjoyed it. I think the lead actor should team up with Walton goggins for most deranged stare

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Finished. The later episodes are more serious and less black humor, but it was a good direction to take it.

Really excellent all around. Great characters, engaging scenarios, well done action.

Scott Ryan writing the entire series and Nash Edgerton directing the whole thing clearly helped a lot. No weak episodes, did everything it set out to do, ended up watching the entire series in one shot.

Left wanting more, but it was a great run.

Top Bottom