• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS Gamer's Day - May 13th - Update Thread (OP continues on Post #6)

Banned
professor_t said:
If this were someone other than Rare, would people be hating? That sounds like a lot of fun.
If it were something other than Banjo Kazooie, people probably wouldn't be hating on it.

People were expecting a platformer instead of this build a vehicle crap.

FrankT

Revelations said:
Most of the videos and info out now is from 2 weeks back. None of the official Gamers Day stuff is out yet from the event. You will have to wait until later this evening for the first trickle of recent information.

Nice

TheOddOne

More news on Rare, news at 11
http://kotaku.com/5008877/shane-kim-rare-hasnt-realized-their-potential-on-the-360

Shane Kim: Rare Hasn't Realized Their Potential on the 360

In the late 90s Rare established themselves as a top-tier studio, producing such classics as GoldenEye and Donkey Kong Country for Nintendo. But in 2002, Microsoft bought up the company and prepared to have the studio start work on some of the marquee titles for their upcoming Xbox 360.

I told Kim that back before the Xbox 360 launched I had heard that Rare's Perfect Dark Zero was meant to be the platform's launch title, the reason gamers would take notice of the 360 and decide to buy into the new platform.

When the game finally hit, with the launch of the 360 and Rare's other title Kameo, it was met with a mixed reception, certainly not the sort that Microsoft had bet on.

Is Rare, I asked Kim, a developer that better suited to the audience and platforms of Nintendo gaming?

The short answer, Kim said, is no. But he did acknowledge that Rare hasn't yet met it's full potential on the Xbox 360. Neither Perfect Dark Zero or Kameo were the massive hits that Microsoft expects and Viva Pinata, he said, was a game that attracted a casual audience but was much deeper than that sort of gamer expected or was interested in playing.

But Rare's upcoming titles could turn that around. Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise, for instance, hopes to fix that disconnect between the audience it attracted and its accessibility by adding online and local co-op and tweaking gameplay.

And while Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts isn't a true sequel to the franchise, its concept, a vehicle platformer, was entirely the idea of Rare and its developers.

Hopefully today will give me a chance to see if Rare has been able to turn it around and get back to making games like Goldeneye rather than Grabbed By The Ghoulies.

Rad Agast

Emiru said:
I can post boxarts too.

10g087q.jpg

That's Wicked! Looks fantastic.

Owzers

I LIKED grabbed by the ghoulies! Though it was probably due to the charm of it all as opposed to the actual gameplay....

Anyways, I'll be playing Viva Pinata 2 on baby mode. I hate Professor Pester and his minions screwing up my garden and my pinatas dying from sickness.

I have Ninja Gaiden 2 and Fable 2 on discounted pre-order.

Halo Wars needs more footage :(

Too Human without local co-op is a bummer, but wasn't it always supposed to be online only? Was one of the main reasons i was never REALLY excited for it so i'm not surprised today about the lack of local co-op. If i get this, it will be when it hits gamefly for around $20 like i did with Crackdown. Sorry Denis :p

Banjo - definite purchase.

Gears of War 2 - definite purchase.

Not liking the Fable 2 boxart too much.

Definitely interested in Fable 2, Too Human, and Gears 2.

On the fence about Banjo. Seems like building all sorts of vehicles would be an engineer's dream, so we'll see how that all turns out.

andrewfee said:
If it were something other than Banjo Kazooie, people probably wouldn't be hating on it.

People were expecting a platformer instead of this build a vehicle crap.

So, if you simply refine the basic elements of a game (a la Gears of War 2), you get hate for not innovating enough.

If you change the gameplay dynamic in a fundamental way (a la Banjo), you get drilled for not delivering what people expect.

Sounds like a win-win to me!

But Rare's upcoming titles could turn that around. Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise, for instance, hopes to fix that disconnect between the audience it attracted and its accessibility by adding online and local co-op and tweaking gameplay.

Did we miss this? Or is it not news? Shane Kim confirms!

dankir

MaizeRage25 said:
Not liking the Fable 2 boxart too much.

Definitely interested in Fable 2, Too Human, and Gears 2.

On the fence about Banjo. Seems like building all sorts of vehicles would be an engineer's dream, so we'll see how that all turns out.

Yeah I would prefer if the image was upside down. EVIL GUY FTW!

Quazar

Revelations said:
Most of the videos and info out now is from 2 weeks back. None of the official Gamers Day stuff is out yet from the event. You will have to wait until later this evening for the first trickle of recent information.

Nice, thanks!

Rad Agast

BruceLeeRoy said:
If I wasn't such a damn poon I would be all over this game. But alas my tiny fingers are no match for the speed and ferociousness of those I fight.

You know there's a Ninja Dog mode right? ;-)

Rad Agast

Kildace said:
I watched the "cleaner" video and was a little underwhelmed to be honest. The framerate is horrid and the game looks very flat. Hopefully the lighting is still being worked on.
Anyhow, this is hating time because some people didn't get what they wanted. As we get closer to release and have access to more and better looking videos that illustrate the game's appeal, people will calm down and the hating will stop.

Seeing how the game won't be out till the end of the year, I'm sure they'll iron out all the flaws by then. What's the term they like to use these days? Oh yeah, polish polish polish.

Rad Agast

plaguis said:
*Sigh*

You dont get it do you.

I dont think much of Pong or PacMan these days ut I would not have the audacity to disrespect them, knowing what they did for what we now call the Games Industry.

Get it?

Just wondering, what's your view on PacMan and Mrs. PacMan hentai?

methodman

Banned
Quick question about Fable 2: Do they still have the 2 player local co-op in the game? I can't believe Too Human dropped it so late in production :(

burgerdog

;o First time getting a glimpse of SFU for me. I had never bothered to look at any screenshots, but that looks cool. I did hear that they're using euphoria for this game, is that right? If it's true then that could be epic. Euphoria makes GTA4 such a blast for me ;

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
burgerdog said:
;o First time getting a glimpse of SFU for me. I had never bothered to look at any screenshots, but that looks cool. I did hear that they're using euphoria for this game, is that right? If it's true then that could be epic. Euphoria makes GTA4 such a blast for me ;

http://www.naturalmotion.com/euphoria.htm

euphoria is currently being integrated into multiple AAA next-generation console titles, including Grand Theft Auto IV, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Indiana Jones and Backbreaker.

besiktas1

watership said:
I'm going to just hide in this thread. The hatred and bile in the Banjo and Too Human threads is was really getting to me.
lol, don't take them seriously, I felt the same in the first Banjo thread. :(

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
TheOddOne said:
More news on Rare, news at 11
http://kotaku.com/5008877/shane-kim-rare-hasnt-realized-their-potential-on-the-360
The short answer, Kim said, is no. But he did acknowledge that Rare hasn't yet met it's full potential on the Xbox 360. Neither Perfect Dark Zero or Kameo were the massive hits that Microsoft expects and Viva Pinata, he said, was a game that attracted a casual audience but was much deeper than that sort of gamer expected or was interested in playing.

This is exactly the trap for B-K:N&B that I mentioned earlier in this thread. Just looking at the vehicle creation footage, does that not look great for the nerdcore, but not for the more casual audience that the game's art direction and overall aesthetic is catering to?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
anachronous_one said:
This is exactly the trap for B-K:N&B that I mentioned earlier in this thread. Just looking at the vehicle creation footage, does that not look great for the nerdcore, but not for the more casual audience that the game's art direction and overall aesthetic is catering to?

Opinions seem to be mixed and full of angry English.

anachronous_one said:
I can't even understand what this means.

The stars wars game looks really impressive...the realisation of the art is some of the best Ive seen...since when did they get back on track??? having seen much decent since the tie fighter days... this is looking like a return to form. Dont mess this up....

Top Bottom