• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"MS has read the market wrong regardless correcting their mistake with Xbox One" WhatCulture Gaming

Here’s a a complete 180 that no one saw coming

3HneRez.jpg
Z3nR5Lj.jpg
Lmx8XFi.jpg
Colt Eastwood is such a cunt, can’t stand that guy. I think he genuinely has something wrong with him.

There’s no way any sane person would mouth off about how great a game is after playing it and how everyone is going to love it, to then shit all over it the next week. He must think people won’t notice.

On another note. I haven’t played my series x in months and probably won’t again. The only reason I’m holding onto it is in case Baldur’s Gate 3 releases on it so I can lend it to a friend. As soon as he’s done with it, getting sold.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
It's not about forgetting. It's about making things whole. The PS3 and Sony recovered because Sony made it their mission to fix their online service, games, and overall image. That's why the PS4 launched in a good state. That goodwill spills over into this generation. People trust that Sony will deliver because they usually do. Many of those customers never know owned a PS3.

Microsoft needs to go on the offensive against themselves. Forget Sony and this ABK deal. Make everyone accountable, fire those that won't accept it, and get a roadmap that actually ties back to that accountability.
It won't happen until some series shit happens.

How much does a decent PC cost to build nowadays? I'd be pretty happy if it could do 60fps on 1080p myself.
All depends on what your budget is. During coivd you couldn't even get those results as even cheap gpus were $300+ , nowadays we are back to normal.

I have a backup computer (in case my main pc goes down)with a 1650 super and i3 3.2ghz. It will get 60fps in most games on high, outside of the newest releases like cyberpunk and no mans sky needs to be turned down a bit, and that card is a $150 card or was).

On a budget you can get something similar for under $400, even less if you buy it used on marketplace or ebay (that won't get 60fps on everything.
If you want 60fps 1080p as baseline you can do it, below is an example of a current market build (all prices from newegg):

For a better machine to play everything on high and 60fps 1080p, you will need at least the following:
- Graphics: 60 series card 2060rtx card (or amd equivalent the 1660gtx may suffice too as even cyberpunk will play 45-70fps with no rtx.
Geforce rtx 2060 super on newegg, I have seen as low as $209.00 right now.
AMD RX6600 - $199 (cheaper but worse ray tracing, if not an issue a good buy)

-CPU - Ryzen 5 5600 - $139 - Fantastic 6 core /12 thread cpu with speeds up to 4.4ghz Zen 3 (better than the consoles)
-16gb ddr4 3600 -$38
- Motherboard B550 various brands- around $100-120
- PSU - Thermaltake smart 500 or evga br500 $40 (get a higher wattage if you plan to upgrade gpu later).
- Case - Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass $54
- fan kit- $20

So that is around $600 for a pc that will get you consistent 60fps+ ultra/high settings and 1080p (probably even 1440p, depending on the game)
This is without, keyboard, monitor and mouse. If you already have those you can move them over, or add $200+ to the build.

Add a 3060ti or 4070 and you will get 1440 60fps and many games at 100fps+ Of course you are making the build $1000 by doing that.

Freeman76

Persecution complex crybaby who can't handle global demographics
Two-three daily threads at minimum. Some reaching 40-50 pages in a matter of hours, with basically hundreds of posters beating the same old dead horses. It‘s worthy of a study case in any business school.
The only thing the exodus didnt solve was GAFs net-wide rep of being a haven for Sony fanboys. Doubt that will ever change

Kurotri

All depends on what your budget is. During coivd you couldn't even get those results as even cheap gpus were $300+ , nowadays we are back to normal.

I have a backup computer (in case my main pc goes down)with a 1650 super and i3 3.2ghz. It will get 60fps in most games on high, outside of the newest releases like cyberpunk and no mans sky needs to be turned down a bit, and that card is a $150 card or was).

On a budget you can get something similar for under $400, even less if you buy it used on marketplace or ebay (that won't get 60fps on everything.
If you want 60fps 1080p as baseline you can do it, below is an example of a current market build (all prices from newegg):

For a better machine to play everything on high and 60fps 1080p, you will need at least the following:
- Graphics: 60 series card 2060rtx card (or amd equivalent the 1660gtx may suffice too as even cyberpunk will play 45-70fps with no rtx.
Geforce rtx 2060 super on newegg, I have seen as low as $209.00 right now.
AMD RX6600 - $199 (cheaper but worse ray tracing, if not an issue a good buy)

-CPU - Ryzen 5 5600 - $139 - Fantastic 6 core /12 thread cpu with speeds up to 4.4ghz Zen 3 (better than the consoles)
-16gb ddr4 3600 -$38
- Motherboard B550 various brands- around $100-120
- PSU - Thermaltake smart 500 or evga br500 $40 (get a higher wattage if you plan to upgrade gpu later).
- Case - Thermaltake Versa H18 Tempered Glass $54
- fan kit- $20

So that is around $600 for a pc that will get you consistent 60fps+ ultra/high settings and 1080p (probably even 1440p, depending on the game)
This is without, keyboard, monitor and mouse. If you already have those you can move them over, or add $200+ to the build.

Add a 3060ti or 4070 and you will get 1440 60fps and many games at 100fps+ Of course you are making the build $1000 by doing that.
Thank you so much for the informative post. I know this thread isn't about that but I really appreciate this greatly. Guess I'll try to score the RX6600/R 5600 combination then. And sorry if it's a stupid question but I CAN just wipe and re-use my old hdd and ssds right? I heard from someone that that might not be ideal but I can't see why.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Why do they get such a following then and a so many people defending them?

Surely what they are doing is detrimental to the good of the platform ?
Everyone of these guys is paid by Microsoft. It was well known that MS pays their astroturfers. They have just gone from shitting up forums to twitter where they can get a larger following and spread Xbox propaganda without worrying about getting banned by mods on forums for openly shilling.

Look up their MVP program. They literally reward their biggest fanboys with MVP awards. Era mod Judge used to be an MVP and would ban anyone criticizing MS or Xbox twitter fanboys. They have also flown out their most ardent fanboys to 'fan retreats' where they get to meet XBox execs and engineers. Poor Senjutsu got banned from old gaf because he bet his account that the xbox one x would have a zen CPU. Turns out a high level Xbox exec had told him as much at a MS fan event and the dude believed him because why wouldnt you.

MS fosters this kind of blind loyalty. They do it with cash, with empty promises, access to high level execs (Phil Spencer was part of the infamous xbox era discord that was spreading fake PS5 tflops rumors on gaf and era, he just never posted but everyone knew he was there and read the chat so they felt special) and freebies.

Last edited:
Everyone of these guys is paid by Microsoft. It was well known that MS pays their astroturfers. They have just gone from shitting up forums to twitter where they can get a larger following and spread Xbox propaganda without worrying about getting banned by mods on forums for openly shilling.

Look up their MVP program. They literally reward their biggest fanboys with MVP awards. Era mod Judge used to be an MVP and would ban anyone criticizing MS or Xbox twitter fanboys. They have also flown out their most ardent fanboys to 'fan retreats' where they get to meet XBox execs and engineers. Poor Senjutsu got banned from old gaf because he bet his account that the xbox one x would have a zen CPU. Turns out a high level Xbox exec had told him as much at a MS fan event and the dude believed him because why wouldnt you.

MS fosters this kind of blind loyalty. They do it with cash, with empty promises, access to high level execs (Phil Spencer was part of the infamous xbox era discord that was spreading fake PS5 tflops rumors on gaf and era, he just never posted but everyone knew he was there and read the chat so they felt special) and freebies.

Makes me sick

They simply do no not make quality games. Plus abysmal studio management.

20+ years in the game and what.. 1.. maybe 2 GOTY contenders in that timespan?

That speaks volumes. You're lying to yourself if you say its a coincidence.

They simply do not know what quality games look like.

They are all about "value", "being able to play everywhere" and "services"

Phil has made it painfully obvious.
Yep, sadly, They used to know, but killed studios or sidelined studios that could.
Freelancer was a 1st party Microsoft PC exclusive and was a masterpiece. they killed the stuido.
Age of empires original developer closed.
Lionhead, used to make black and white and fable, no more Peter Molyneaux.
Halo - no more bungie.
Gears - no more epic.
They also used to have more single player titles and racers like pgr and banjo.
Sad really.

I don’t think it’s sympathy. Brand loyalty, attachment to your gamer score, digital game libraries, these are all a big problem. I’d be lying if I said it would be easy to drop PlayStation when I spent thousands of dollars on digital games, have so many trophies, friends I’ve made on that platform many years ago that I still play with solely on PlayStation. Xbox on the other hand, I’ve got a small library there even though I’ve been with that ecosystem for many years, but it’s my back up of sorts and I don’t have that attachment to it. Apple is another brand, I have so many things digitally attached to Apple that it would be difficult for me to switch to android and it would come at a loss because of how much I would have to give up or re-purchase.

Eventually though, when the product or ecosystem you’re invested in continues to fail you for years, with empty promises, the amount of lies and bullshit, failed projects, scrapped projects, mediocre releases, you got to wake the fuck up and stop giving them your money.

Last edited:
Colt Eastwood is such a cunt, can’t stand that guy. I think he genuinely has something wrong with him.

There’s no way any sane person would mouth off about how great a game is after playing it and how everyone is going to love it, to then shit all over it the next week. He must think people won’t notice.

On another note. I haven’t played my series x in months and probably won’t again. The only reason I’m holding onto it is in case Baldur’s Gate 3 releases on it so I can lend it to a friend. As soon as he’s done with it, getting sold.

His Crackdown 3 review is a fucking disgrace

“High visual quality “

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Makes me sick
Read up on the PS5 github leaks. It is really dirty stuff. An xbox insider magically found a github folder with PS5 test specs complete with GPU clocks, memory speeds and codenames the latter of which were confirmed by other devkit leaks.

How did they get access to that github folder? Why was there a random github folder with all this testing data? We later found out that Albert Panello knew about the PS5 targeting those specs and designed the Xbox Series S and Series X around it. It's entirely possible the Panello leaked that folder (Which also conviniently had xbox series s and x specs) to the xbox insiders. Little did they know that it was an older chip and Sony was going to increase the tflops count from 9 to 10+ tflops. Thats why you had so many xbox fans here get banned for calling the PS5 a 9 tflops console on this board. They obviously believed the high level Xbox execs who gave them the specs almost a year before Sony revealed them.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Phil Spencer was part of the infamous xbox era discord that was spreading fake PS5 tflops rumors on gaf and era, he just never posted but everyone knew he was there and read the chat so they felt special
That’s a very interesting claim - what evidence is there for that?

Robbinhood

Banned
I'll laugh when Sony is the only one in the market, charging whatever the fuck they want for their HW, then see everyone complain about it.
Xbox doesn't sell nearly enough to make Sony "relax" and be anti competitive. Sony has to convince people to buy their system and they would be under the same pressures with or without xbox. It's not like theres 100 million potential buyers for Sony if Xbox called it quits. It's like 30-40 million best case scenario that would join Playstation but really some would go PC so that leaves like 20 million extra users. The other 100 million still need to be convinced.

While I agree that there 100% issues when it comes to managing studios and project, I still have a ton of fun with my Series X.

Games such as Grounded, Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon 5 and Psychonauts 2 are all quite amazing. They are high quality production value, fun and have a ton of replay value. I've spent close to 1000 hours in Sea of Thieves if not more than that over the course of many years.

Grounded is one of the best highest quality survival games you'll ever play. It looks beautiful and runs well, mechanics are well designed and has a very unique theme to it.

Forza Horizon 5 is the best arcade racer around. My only gripes with it is the cringe uncesserry dialogue and story that doesn't really need to exist. Just shut up and let me race.

Halo Infinite is also a very good game when it comes to gameplay. Visuals are ok, nothing special but they are clean and the game runs well.

Yes, the studio 100% fucked up on delivery of the content and some of the promises, but the game itself plays very well. Shooting feels great. I'll admit I barely played the campaign, but that's because I was very addicted to multiplayer when it came out.

I wish Halo Infinite originally came out in the state that it is now. It would have been far better received and would have been a better success.

I know Psychonauts 2 is a multiplatform game, but despite that it was still made by a 1st party MS studio. I was genuinely surprised how good this game was. I loved the platforming, puzzle solving, the levels and the storyline. It's quite a decent length too. I ended up getting all the achievements in this game. This game was a breath of fresh air because there are very few platformers out there these days, let alone good ones.

The last amazing platformer I've played was probably Super Mario Oddysey. Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart was good too, but it's more of an eye candy and action in my opinion rather than a full decked out platformer like Mario or Psychonauts is. Either way, good game as well.

Nautilus

Banned
I'll laugh when Sony is the only one in the market, charging whatever the fuck they want for their HW, then see everyone complain about it.
Nintendo would never allow it, as the success of the console known as Switch proves it.

Nintendo always was the one that stopped Sony and MS from doing whatever the hell they wanted.

Not if they want to sell consoles. That's what Microsoft need to decide.

Shit, or get off the pot.

Either stop the day and date PC and console releases, and instead concentrate on the Series X alone for timed exclusives, the same way Sony are doing - or get the fuck out of the console business.

One thing is for sure... you don't sell consoles when you put your 'exclusive' games out at the same time on PC.
Cannot do that because most of the studio they bought are PC developers more than console.

Nico_D

I play more on my X than PS5 tbh. If there's a same priced game on both, I'm more likely to buy it for Xbox because I like the controller and quick resume more. And between PS5 and Switch for some RPG action I go with Switch - faster to get to play and also the controller.

Both games are a bit short on first party games that interest me but at least Xbox had Hi-Fi Rush and Grounded, can't remember what was the last PS exclusive that had the same kind of impact on me.

And still, I wouldn't sell any of them, they all see a lot of plays. Even if they are older games.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the informative post. I know this thread isn't about that but I really appreciate this greatly. Guess I'll try to score the RX6600/R 5600 combination then. And sorry if it's a stupid question but I CAN just wipe and re-use my old hdd and ssds right? I heard from someone that that might not be ideal but I can't see why.
Crap, forgot about the hard drive, lol...yes you can. SSDs are cheap now too, I seen some on sale recently for $25 for 512gb. I use a 512gb for windows and use 4tb drive for games and software. Also windows licenses you can get for cheap on key stores...

Nydius

It is like people are buying Xbox Series X on sympathy or fan base brand rather than on merit bases.
Quite literally the only reason I got the Xbox Series X at launch over the PS5 was because most of my friends are on the Xbox platform, and cross platform gaming was in its infancy.

(Well, that and the bots beat me to the PS5 checkout.)

As I’ve written elsewhere, if all multiplayer games had cross-platform support (especially now with both consoles supporting Discord integration), I would have only bought a PS5. There was nothing except Forza Horizon that interested me on Xbox and I don’t really need an Xbox console for that (ditto Starfield).

Last edited:
I like having my Xbox X to fiddle with gamepass when game releases are slow (because...it is awesome)....but for the "excitment" of gaming...its all Playstation...and its not even close.
Better buy mid range PC you won't miss Xbox and you will not regret it either.

Freesync and Gysnc is amazing tech and FSR and DLSS as well.

Last edited:

Fredrik

My PC is pretty old by now but I still use it daily. I figured I'd build a new one and soften the blow a little bit moneywise by selling the series X. The games you mentioned I'd still get from PC gamepass so there's that. If I'm going to use my PS5 primarily cause Microsoft can't deliver consistently I don't want this thing to just stand there and collect dust.
Ah then I understand, yeah as a PC gamer the Xbox is less important. For me it’s the living room experience I use it for, I have a beefy PC but it’s in a computer/music room while the Xbox Series X is in the living room. I have considered swapping out the Xbox for a quiet PC though, but PC gaming is in a bad spot right now with all the port issues so I’m thinking it would be expensive.

Majukun

microsoft is definitely mismanaging it's exclusives..they should go through the same kind of restructuring that Sony did in the PS3 era...many heads will fall, but the final product will benefit from it

Banjo64

cumsessed
Better buy mid range PC you won't miss Xbox and you will not regret it either.

Freesync and Gysnc is amazing tech and FSR and DLSS as well.
My shitty £299 12th gen i3 laptop plays all of their current worthwhile games @ 60fps (Grounded/SoT and MCC). It’s like all the things the doom and gloomers have predicted have come to pass. They have made the console irrelevant.

Last edited:

TheZink

I honestly regret purchasing the Series X. I spend 90% of my time with the PS5. I really only purchased Gamepass to get the exclusives but they have all been disappointing for my taste in games. Luckily I’ve paid very little for Gamepass always waiting for deals.

Last edited:

Lysandros

Power and performance ties to how much can you utilize the system.

Most powerful devices are limited to the people that are using them.

PS5 is easy to develop, which means you can utilize the hardware efficiency.
XSX is as easy if not more so to develop for as PS5, that is not the problem.

I love my Xbox. I love how the Xbox ecosystem works. I can play atomic heart on my 55" TV and then later continue on my high end PC and it works flawlessly.

But Xbox lacks a killer app. Microsoft needs to find the next gears, the next halo. I don't think these franchises can be made relevant again.
Find the next big thing. Look for smaller devs with cool ideas.

Make Xbox great again! MXGA!

Madflavor

Phil Spencer needs to go. There needs to be major shakeup over in Xbox Land, they have been floundering in the AAA department for almost a decade now.

It’s gotten to the point where from what I’m seeing, word is getting out that PlayStation has the games. There are people in my circle who aren’t hardcore gamers, have only owned Xbox their entire lives, who have asked me if they should get a PS5 instead of and Xbox Series S/X.

Last of Us show has been a huge hit with non gamers and casuals. “Can I play the game?” Not on the Xbox. PlayStation is drawing attention away from Xbox with their Game of the Years, and stellar AAA games. If it ain’t a PS game that’s got the attention, it’s either Nintendo or a Multiplat. And whenever on a rare occasion an Xbox Exclusive has the attention, it’s people laughing at how broken and mid it is.

“Hurr durr such doom and gloom”

Yeah it is. This can’t continue with Xbox. If Xbox doesn’t have any banger exclusives this gen like they didn’t with last gen, they might be in trouble in the next console generation.

Last edited:
I'm not going to pretend that they didn't manage to sell me the Series X on pure hopium. A lot of people probably feel the same in that regard. If I didn't already have my PS5 I would probably hate myself.

If Starfield doesn't hit I'm probably going to sell it and be done with Xbox tbh. My role as a consumer is to be rewarded for exchanging my money for products and not making some weird excuses for years on end for them not being able to do that.

I mean, really? A piece of paper on the back of the box telling me it's not launching with 60 fps?

😂
I was SO CLOSE to switching from PS5 to XBOX ecosystem with the huge talk about Series X power and all the studios they’ve bought.

So glad I did not.

Still hope for inXile and Obsidian and Bethesda/id bangers though.

Phil Spencer needs to go. There needs to be major shakeup over in Xbox Land, they have been floundering in the AAA department for almost a decade now.

It’s gotten to the point where from what I’m seeing, word is getting out that PlayStation has the games. There are people in my circle who aren’t hardcore gamers, have only owned Xbox their entire lives, who have asked me if they should get a PS5 instead of and Xbox Series S/X.

Last of Us show has been a huge hit with non gamers and casuals. “Can I play the game?” Not on the Xbox. PlayStation is drawing attention away from Xbox with their Game of the Years, and stellar AAA games. If it ain’t a PS game that’s got the attention, it’s either Nintendo or a Multiplat. And whenever on a rare occasion an Xbox Exclusive has the attention, it’s people laughing at how broken and mid it is.

“Hurr durr such doom and gloom”

Yeah it is. This can’t continue with Xbox. If Xbox doesn’t have any banger exclusives this gen like they didn’t with last gen, they might be in trouble in the next console generation.
More sad case is that Sony has not even invested much in PC apart from taking over Nixxes but Dam on Steam and Epic Games, Sony Games are selling around 3/1 compare to MS games .

PC players love store base single player game and i don't know how MS does not get this. Why try same thing and again and again and result's in failure.

Ah then I understand, yeah as a PC gamer the Xbox is less important. For me it’s the living room experience I use it for, I have a beefy PC but it’s in a computer/music room while the Xbox Series X is in the living room. I have considered swapping out the Xbox for a quiet PC though, but PC gaming is in a bad spot right now with all the port issues so I’m thinking it would be expensive.
My pc is in my office upstairs as I use it next to my work workstation (have 4 screens back to back) ... I use steam link but there are other devices that will do the same thing using the steam link android app. I then run pc games using big picture mode on my tv, which is downstairs opposite end of the house. I can use mouse /kb or controllers from the couch. I played most of elden ring on steam link as I couldn't buy a ps5 until May 2022 due to scalpers and shortages.

Also steam deck is amazing for this for older games to run at 1080p (newer games at that resolution, nah...) Playing Fallout 3 or game cube emulator on the go and docking it up to play it at 1080p is just great, everything maxed. It runs at 60fps on tv and i have it set to 40fps on deck to keep battery life (4-5 hours for that game). My only other option for games like that are hooking my ps3 up and getting sub 30fps performance, no anti-aliasing and 720p graphics. I guess that is one nice thing about the xbox series is the backwards compatibility and emulators.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
The only thing the exodus didnt solve was GAFs net-wide rep of being a haven for Sony fanboys. Doubt that will ever change
If you go look at the forum the banned PlayStation warriors went to you'll see that GAF is nothing like the fanboy haven you think it is. Eventually every hardcore warrior slips over the edge and gets the boot.

I can see Microsoft's next step to salvaging their Xbox brand from demise: To lobby the US Congress to pass a law to formally ban PlayStation and Nintendo games + consoles from being sold in America, along with a voluntary 'buyback' program to issue generous amount of cash for pre-existing Playstation & Nintendo products (example would be $1500 for a PS4 Pro, $1000 for Nintendo Switch, etc.), which will be funded with US taxpayer dollars. Surely this won't actually happen though, right? :lollipop_fearful:

#MakeXboxGreatAgain will surely be trending on social media if/when such a law ever gets passed here in America ...

Rubik8

Xbox 360 was my console of choice for the first 3/4 of that generation. I loved it and was heavily invested. I switched to PS3 in 2011 when Sony got their shit together and I haven’t looked back since. I don’t want MS to abandon console gaming. I desperately want them to MAKE me WANT an Xbox. But so far their efforts have been shit. Do better MS.

Topher

Gold Member
If you go look at the forum the banned PlayStation warriors went to you'll see that GAF is nothing like the fanboy haven you think it is. Eventually every hardcore warrior slips over the edge and gets the boot.

We get our fair share of warriors coming in here, but yeah, most of them outstay their welcome and are shown out. Fact of the matter is that every forum I've ever been on has been accused of being "a haven for Sony fanboys". As GHG GHG pointed out, that is really just a reflection of the gaming world where Xbox fans are greatly outnumbered. Thankfully, I think we have a core group of posters here who are reasonable, even though we all have our moments (pointing finger right back at myself), and things can get heated or whatever, but I'd say most of time the discussions are rational and fun.

ByWatterson

I'm not going to pretend that they didn't manage to sell me the Series X on pure hopium. A lot of people probably feel the same in that regard. If I didn't already have my PS5 I would probably hate myself.

If Starfield doesn't hit I'm probably going to sell it and be done with Xbox tbh. My role as a consumer is to be rewarded for exchanging my money for products and not making some weird excuses for years on end for them not being able to do that.

I mean, really? A piece of paper on the back of the box telling me it's not launching with 60 fps?

😂

At this point, even if it does hit, I think I'm going to drop Gamepass, replace it with the more affordable PS Plus Extra, buy a few Xbox games I enjoy, and pay just for Gold.

I just don't see the value over time.

Top Bottom