• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"MS has read the market wrong regardless correcting their mistake with Xbox One" WhatCulture Gaming

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
I have to put my hands up and say im 1 of them that brought an xbox due to being a fan from the original, but im realy let down by xbox now. The original gave me halo 1 and 2 and great memories online with some friends I made for life on Halo, so I feel that routed a fan loyalty in me. The 360 built on this and for me was the greatest era in gaming.
The xbox one lacked games but during this era I was in the army so it didnt effect me much at the time, and by the time I started thinking its been years without good first party xbox games there was a change in the wind or so it felt at Xbox. We got gamepass, Xbox one X and the talk of new games along with the Bethesda acquisition. The Series X excited me when it was announced and the future looked exciting but here we are 2 and a half years later and theres not much to show, Halo barebones multiplayer with a campaign that I enjoyed but felt lots was cut and it ended in a rushed way. The only other game for me is the Forza games.
Recently with the circus around the Activision deal and Redfall it just seems a mess and im no longer optimistic for Xbox.

Im not a fan boy, im lucky to also have all the Playstation consoles through the years and half decent pc (3060 ti lol RIP) , xbox has just been my main platform and now for the first time I feel I might main elswhere. I was thinking of building a top end PC when next gen comes along and go without the new consoles as there games come to PC anyway, but the state of PC gaming isnt great at the moment either so I may lean to PS.

It feels Xbox might be in the last chance saloon now, they need to pick up as we head towards the middle of this gen and power on into the start of next gen, the likes of Starfield, Avowed, Hellblade, Gears, Perfect Dark, Fable need to be bangers.

ReBurn

Gold Member
We get our fair share of warriors coming in here, but yeah, most of them outstay their welcome and are shown out. Fact of the matter is that every forum I've ever been on has been accused of being "a haven for Sony fanboys". As @GHG pointed out, that is really just a reflection of the gaming world where Xbox fans are greatly outnumbered. Thankfully, I think we have a core group of posters here who are reasonable, even though we all have our moments (pointing finger right back at myself), and things can get heated or whatever, but I'd say most of time the discussions are rational and fun.
Yeah, I'm guilty of getting a bit too invested from time to time. I delete probably half of my replies before posting. Sales threads are playground-level warring within the first page so I just try to avoid those. That makes everything else great.

JackMcGunns

I think this idea that gamepass is only 15% of their revenue and so not fundamental to their strategy is not seeing the entire picture. Most of the rest isn't made up from premium game sales. The rest is made up of hardware (at a loss) and mtx/dlc. Both of which rely to a good degree on gamepass.

No no no, we need to forget about that and focus and Bad Microsoft BAAAD!

sachos

Despite all the doom and gloom i still can't rule them out yet. They own freaking Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, The Evil Within, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Dishonored, Prey. There is no way they CANT produce anything of value with such big IPs. I have a feeling iD and Obsidian will carry them hard by the second half of the generation.

People really going scorched earth after one bad game huh 🤣

Like didn't hi-fi rush, pentiment and pyschonauts2 all release relatively recently

That's how it is. None of the games you mentioned were marketed/hyped to the extent of Redfall. It's a AAA game from a high profile studio, so there are naturally high expectations.The game really needed to deliver and according to reviewers it didn't. I have yet to play myself though.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
The fallout we are seeing is the result of decisions they have done in years past, and it will take a while before we will see the results of what they have learned.

However, the amount of hate and dismay we see on social media is almost all from non-Game Pass users. People love to hate what they don't have/use.

Game Pass is such a strong service, and Starfield will boost it later this year. It's just an incredibly rough patch for Xbox right now.

Fredrik

Yeah, I'm guilty of getting a bit too invested from time to time. I delete probably half of my replies before posting. Sales threads are playground-level warring within the first page so I just try to avoid those. That makes everything else great.
The acquisition threads are a platform warrior war zone. I’m ignoring every single thread with that noise now, just got tired to see them at the front page at all time when I have all platforms and nothing really affect me in the end, exclusivity is just a matter of choosing a different controller from the shelf.
And I ignore the most annoying warriors and trolls.
GAF is mostly calm now.

Crayon

The acquisition threads are a platform warrior war zone. I’m ignoring every single thread with that noise now, just got tired to see them at the front page at all time when I have all platforms and nothing really affect me in the end, exclusivity is just a matter of choosing a different controller from the shelf.
And I ignore the most annoying warriors and trolls.
GAF is mostly calm now.

Thank God for that mega thread. It was constantly moving so fast for months on end the front page would have been spammed up without it.

LRKD

I think it'll still take time for the Bethesda Aquisition to really show its strengths, but you still need to question where the other games are at. Where is Fable, Perfect Dark? Where the games at? Xbox definitely needs to get better games, and quick, and honestly.... I think that is only half the problem though. They SHOULD have a few console exclusives. Any argument of picking up an Xbox is dismissed because all their games are on pc. and instead, people recommend the ps5, and it's... 4 exclusives. Like if Halo Infinite, Redfall, Forza Horizon and whatever were Xbox Console exclusive, at least people might consider picking it up. And PlayStation fans wouldn't just point and laugh entirely.

I think a lot of people are pretending exclusives don't matter now, but they always have. I never would've bought 90% of the consoles I have if it weren't for the games exclusive to those consoles. Nintendo has nothing but exclusives, PlayStation still has exclusives. Xbox should have exclusives. Even Steam has exclusives. Like it really is a huge benefit to pc players (me) at least, and weirdly consumer friendly. But it makes Xbox consoles redundant, and I think is a huge reason why they're so far behind. Even if their games aren't the greatest, at least if they were exclusive, it'd mean something. Xbox just aren't at a competitive place right now, and in the long run that is far worse for everyone. There needs to be as much competition in the market as possible. The less competition, and the more any one company are on top the worse it'll end up being in the future imo

aries_71

The only thing the exodus didnt solve was GAFs net-wide rep of being a haven for Sony fanboys. Doubt that will ever change

As I write this, in the first Neogaf page I can list the following "MS Gloom & Doom" threads, where the general discourse is super critical with XBOX/MS. I repeat, this is only in the first page:

-Devil's advocate: Microsoft acquisition exposes their cloud gaming fantasy by dismantling the "Console War" for a "Content War"
-Jim Ryan says Sony’s games ‘could suffer’ by adding them to PlayStation Plus on day one (VCG) (note: basically Gamepass causing this)
-Redfall "Player Engagement" Predictions
-Phil Spencer - what’s he actually done?
-Redfall, Suicide Squad and other Coop/GaaS games that nobody asked for. Who’s next to crash and burn?
-"MS has read the market wrong regardless correcting their mistake with Xbox One"
-Microsoft and Sony are both aquiring studios left and right, but with completely different goals and philosophies.
-Redfall | Review Thread

Impressive, huh? So, while I really enjoy Neogaf, right now the place is not fun at all if you are an Xbox/MS fan or user. Now, to be honest, Neogaf is still the best gaming forum. There's lot of friendly and knowledeable people. It's moderators strike a balance between being too strict and cutting freedom (as REEEEE) or Twitter, that is a toxic wasteland. So they have a very tough job and probably there's not much else to do or improve.

It could be said to just ignore the threads; it's true, but there are so many and new ones are opened daily that is probably not realistic to filter the noise out. Anyway, things are what they are, and we'll have to deal with it.

skit_data

Xbox is having a rough couple of weeks from a PR perspective, especially when these kinds of discussions creeps into the more main stream gaming channels

Nydius

right now the place is not fun at all if you are an Xbox/MS fan or user
Only if you're a Console Zealot who wants to be shielded from legitimate criticism.

The criticism of Xbox is warranted as they're going into the 3rd year of another generation where their output has been abysmal. The only consistent quality that's come from the Xbox brand for the last decade has been Forza and brand PR.

If you don't find that discussion enjoyable, take it up with Phil and Company.

DrFigs

As I write this, in the first Neogaf page I can list the following "MS Gloom & Doom" threads, where the general discourse is super critical with XBOX/MS. I repeat, this is only in the first page:

-Devil's advocate: Microsoft acquisition exposes their cloud gaming fantasy by dismantling the "Console War" for a "Content War"
-Jim Ryan says Sony’s games ‘could suffer’ by adding them to PlayStation Plus on day one (VCG) (note: basically Gamepass causing this)
-Redfall, Suicide Squad and other Coop/GaaS games that nobody asked for. Who’s next to crash and burn?
-"MS has read the market wrong regardless correcting their mistake with Xbox One"
-Microsoft and Sony are both aquiring studios left and right, but with completely different goals and philosophies.
-Redfall | Review Thread

Impressive, huh? So, while I really enjoy Neogaf, right now the place is not fun at all if you are an Xbox/MS fan or user. Now, to be honest, Neogaf is still the best gaming forum. There's lot of friendly and knowledeable people. It's moderators strike a balance between being too strict and cutting freedom (as REEEEE) or Twitter, that is a toxic wasteland. So they have a very tough job and probably there's not much else to do or improve.

It could be said to just ignore the threads; it's true, but there are so many and new ones are opened daily that is probably not realistic to filter the noise out. Anyway, things are what they are, and we'll have to deal with it.
It does seem a bit much. At least some of these threads can be consolidated.

Hydroxy

This is highly disappointing considering there are over 20 million Game Pass subscribers. 20 million people have access to the game, are paying for Game Pass specifically just to be able to play things like this, and Microsoft's biggest release in years drops and way less than half even care. This is evidence that Xbox's first party games, what is meant to be the biggest draw to Game Pass, aren't even a huge draw to their existing subscriber base. This is a worrying trend. Definitely the last Xbox
copypasta

Phil Spencer needs to go. There needs to be major shakeup over in Xbox Land, they have been floundering in the AAA department for almost a decade now.

It’s gotten to the point where from what I’m seeing, word is getting out that PlayStation has the games. There are people in my circle who aren’t hardcore gamers, have only owned Xbox their entire lives, who have asked me if they should get a PS5 instead of and Xbox Series S/X.

Last of Us show has been a huge hit with non gamers and casuals. “Can I play the game?” Not on the Xbox. PlayStation is drawing attention away from Xbox with their Game of the Years, and stellar AAA games. If it ain’t a PS game that’s got the attention, it’s either Nintendo or a Multiplat. And whenever on a rare occasion an Xbox Exclusive has the attention, it’s people laughing at how broken and mid it is.

“Hurr durr such doom and gloom”

Yeah it is. This can’t continue with Xbox. If Xbox doesn’t have any banger exclusives this gen like they didn’t with last gen, they might be in trouble in the next console generation.
You do know this will stop if Starfeild is good. If not Elder Scrolls 6 or next Doom, and people will forget this downturned ever existed. Which honestly sucks for PS5 only players, if I didn't have a pc and TES6 was coming out I'd be feeling missing out. Of course I am a big time rpg fan (both wrpgs and jrpgs). Those will be their exclusives, as they are basically first party now.

Gamers have short memories, look at how quickly they dismissed rrod from 360, and the always online, spybox, no games stuff of the xbone. People at least in the states, especially casuals and sports gamers, use the xbox as thats what they grew up with (outside of old heads like me who grew up with Atari/Nintendo/NEC/SEGA and then on to ps1 ) ,and its also by peer pressure, their friends got into the 360 so they followed suit and didn't leave.

A lot of us here are single player gamers and not casuals. We are into this hobby. We don't represent the mainstream.

Impressive, huh? So, while I really enjoy Neogaf, right now the place is not fun at all if you are an Xbox/MS fan or user.
That’s some list yes, it might not fun to be an Xbox/MS fan or user now, but lets be fair here, MS is creating this situation themselves, and non Xbox fans to be honest are more realistic about how MS is doing than Xbox fans. It is beyond me how anyone e.g. can still support Phil after all these years of failing. That’s just blind brand loyalty.

Last edited:
I use my PC mostly, but Series S is a nice way to sidestep Epic Game Store, Origins, Ubisoft Connect, and Blizzard PC shennanigans and get amazing PS3/360 era emulation for cheap.

Last edited:

graywolf323

honestly I am kinda disappointed in my Series X, at this point I’ve mostly used it for the enhanced BC and to dabble with some Game Pass games but it gets the least play time of any of my systems (Switch, PS5, & Steam Deck)

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I don't regret buying my Series X at all, even with the poor showing. I've discovered many games on GP I wouldn't have otherwise, the emulation capabilities are great, it acts as a decent media centre, and I can actually travel with the XSX, something that's impossible with that stupid big Playstation bitch.

But I use it a lot less than I do my Ps5, no doubt about it.

yeah pretty much same here, its my feet up game pass machine. But damn if don't want to get a solid exclusive once in awhile. I honesty think people really tried to make Halo Infinite that exclusive, but it just took so much effort to keep the lie alive that eventually everyone just gave up on that.

Now if Microsoft could just make a sequel to Freelancer... and have it be good too.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
We get our fair share of warriors coming in here, but yeah, most of them outstay their welcome and are shown out. Fact of the matter is that every forum I've ever been on has been accused of being "a haven for Sony fanboys". As @GHG pointed out, that is really just a reflection of the gaming world where Xbox fans are greatly outnumbered. Thankfully, I think we have a core group of posters here who are reasonable, even though we all have our moments (pointing finger right back at myself), and things can get heated or whatever, but I'd say most of time the discussions are rational and fun.

Yep. I've probably met only a handful of posters here that I pretty much know for a fact I'd want to run over with my car if I actually met them. Like feynoob feynoob . Just kidding! :messenger_blowing_kiss:

Most of the people here I find myself disagreeing with, I could easily sit down and have a drink with too. I think a lot of the issues that come up in here are the product of totally unhinged and unreasonable people on the internet casting a shadow on the mental perception others have of someone who says something they disagree with.

kingfish

Eddie Murphy Smiling GIF by Amazon Prime Video

I always found it a bit odd that Xbox only owners at work would hate on the idea of exclusive games. It definitely was a weird way of justifying a purchase. It's like admitting outloud that you made a purchase you are unhappy with and you are trying to be political about it. Your suffering as a gamer isn't the result of some anti-exclusive purchasing statement.

I always buy all three consoles for the exclusives because why else would I even bother owning them? I'm not giving companies my money just because I like the branding.

Microsoft is especially hit hard because Sony has numerous games that are Switch/PS5 or PC/PS5 without a Xbox version. These function as exclusives in the minds of those only wishing to play games on one console. They have to get those games ported to their system in order to compete.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Whelp, my post saying this was deleted, hopefully other users echoing the same thing gets more traction, lol.

There's such a thing as too many reactionary threads, almost half of them are discussing the same thing already covered in the others.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Impressive, huh? So, while I really enjoy Neogaf, right now the place is not fun at all if you are an Xbox/MS fan or user.
Why?

It’s only not a good place to be if you can’t take criticism of a brand. I’ve mained my Xbox for about 7 of the past 10 years and I can’t defend this shit. It’s all Microsoft’s fault, why do I have to ignore that and why should anyone else pointing it out make me stress?

Microsoft are on a massive losing streak right now, all of their own making. People are free to discuss it.

Last edited:

Certinty

I'm starting to regret my Series X purchase I have to admit.

I was enjoying Game Pass but now I consider how much it actually costs and how many games on the service I actually play, it's almost like wasting money at times.

The lack of good exclusives is seriously worrying as well. Even the ones which are actually good have been somewhat dumbed down, it's so obvious Forza Horizon 4 and 5 were due to being on Game Pass with awful progress systems and cringe all round.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Xbox one was stable but most people couldn’t grasp the concept of it playing tv shows. 360 had an infinite amount of issues but was an instant hit that’s unique to Microsoft.

MetalRain

I think no exclusives was the point they were trying to make. Choose device you like and then buy Gamepass to play these games or many multiplatform games. I think Series X is just little cheaper PC for gaming.

graywolf323

Why?

It’s only not a good place to be if you can’t take criticism of a brand. I’ve mained my Xbox for about 7 of the past 10 years and I can’t defend this shit. It’s all Microsoft’s fault, why do I have to ignore that and why should anyone else pointing it out make me stress?

Microsoft are on a massive losing streak right now, all of their own making. People are free to discuss it.
it’s harder to pretend everything is alright if threads pointing out how things are a mess keep getting made

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I’m glad to be fortunate enough to be able to also own Switch and Playstation, suffice to say I’ll be refraining from any future Xbox day one console purchase after this.

They don’t even market Series X , it’s all Series S.
This, the Series X was the first Xbox console I ever bought: I thought there would be a lot of games coming out on it, especially after the acquisitions. The truth is that it has been a big disappointment. Glad I own a PS5 and a switch as well. I also understand that I'm able to afford that: if I could only afford one console, I would sell the series X and change it for a ps5 in a heartbeat.

Since I can afford it, I will keep the series X for now: sooner or later at least a couple of games will be released on it. But rest assured that this is the first and last time I will buy an Xbox console on release date.

I know that on this forum this will probably be labeled by some as fanboytalk, but it really isn't. The series X is a nice machine, but there just isn't anything to play on it that I can't play on my ps5. The Dual sense is also a much better controller.

Last edited:

kyussman

-Redfall | Review Thread

I think a lot of people are genuinely baffled as to how Arkane put out Redfall in the state it's in given all the stuff Phil Spencer says about how important it is for games to have the time they need to release at a high quality.No excuse for console warrior nonsense......but I'm not surprised at the amount of discussion concerning Xbox right now.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

-Redfall | Review Thread

It's happening organically due to the current high profile problems with the brand. If Starfield ends up being a slam dunk, for example, people will want to talk about the greater context surrounding that as well.

Crayon

There's some doomy and gloomy around xbox atm. They are doing kinda crappy but really the activision news last week made everyone jumpy. The redfall thing is a little eyebrow raising as well because it appears they kicked an unfinished game out the door. It's mainly the abk deal, though. Is it an overreaction? I don't know. Def can be seen that way.

The narrative was really sad before the bethesda get. The best thing xb had going for it was gp drum beating and a huge wave of ps5 fud. Day after beth buyout, they were instantly back in the game. Then a year later, it was activision and the big hope for the future was a buying spree that would hopefully starve ps out of games. Now that is in trouble and there goes a huge part of the master plan. I expect it to look up again when they buy another publisher. That aquisition hype has been keeping them going for a minute now.

So there was that pre-beth doomsaying, and before that would have been quite awhile when scalebound got cancelled. That was a solid couple weeks of xbox-doomed. And I think that doom story has been premature every time so far. MS has bought xb out of trouble a few times now and can do it whenever they want. It's the one consumer facing brand they have that gets any kind of real excitement going and ending it cannot be undone. I really don't see it going anywhere. At worst, they accept lower console sales while they diversify to pc and other devices. If xbox were in danger because it's bad business, it would have been over by now but I think ms keeps it in the back pocket for a good enough reason.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I mean, really? A piece of paper on the back of the box telling me it's not launching with 60 fps?
Challenged with this GoodGuy Phil replied “well, they bought up everything else we said so we thought one more would not get noticed”

Echoes of:
Prosecutor: Dr. Venkman, would you please tell the court why you and your co-defendants took it upon yourselves to dig a very big hole in the middle of 1st Avenue?

Peter Venkman: Well, there are so many holes in 1st Avenue, we really didn't think anyone would notice.

Alan Wake

Xbox Series X/S had a terrible launch. Not a single new game. Then the Halo Infinite debacle. Then the absence of exclusive games, which has been a theme for a decade now. I've played on Xbox since the day OG Xbox launched in Europe 21 years ago. I got the Xbox One eventually and sticked with Xbox through that pretty rough period on the promise of what would come (luckily I had a PS4 too). Right now Game Pass is the only thing to keep me playing on my Series X, and I'm starting to doubt that Microsoft will ever get all the games out that we've been promised or have expected to see. It seems they just can't pull it together.

-Redfall | Review Thread

bro. read the room...be aware of the context.....it can't be ignored.

Eotheod

I won't ever be getting a PS5 this gen, because here in Australia it literally costs nearly $1,000 to buy one. Plus discs cost $120 and digital is the stupidest choice to make as those prices are just as bad without any decent sales plus a horrible game pass alternative.

I'm happy enough with Xbox being our family console with game pass to supplement, it supports my predominantly PC playing with Switch. We also got the Xbox under our Telstra (a telecom) account and it's all paid off now at the far cheaper earlier prices of consoles. Game pass suffices in providing adequate titles to play, especially Indies that I never would have heard of or had the opportunity to purchase so many.

I definitely see where the typical hardcore player may be struggling with, as there is no current "it" title that showcases the Xbox like say Horizon's DLC (though it took a DLC to do that) for PS5. I don't think your general audience actually cares either way, they buy what they want when they want and deal pretty well with it.

No one should be asking for Sony to be the only person standing in the industry, as that will be very, very bad for said industry. What we should be asking for is competent competition that strikes innovation such in the way as the hardware itself. XSX is a masterpiece of machinery, in some ways beating PS5 (waaaay too large in design), but that only gets you so far. I'd also not really pay much mind to the typical standards of judgement when it comes to Starfield, Bethesda is in a league of their own.

Top Bottom