• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MSI launches Trident S PC gaming console in NA ($800, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, Vega 7, 16GB DDR5)

GreatnessRD

Ain't no way in hell they're using DDR5, lol. Also, please don't spend $800 United Murica dollars on this if you want an HTPC.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
800 for a vega 7
michael jordan laughing GIF

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I dont know anything about price/performance ratios for PC, but by the looks of it an AMD Vega GPU probably means it's not great(?)

But for you PC experts, is $800 for this package a good deal for what you get?

Not at all.

I don’t know who this is for, but it’s not for someone that seriously wants to get into PC gaming.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That looks overpriced for what you get, unless I'm missing something. You could buy a better spec'd laptop for that price.

MastaKiiLA

I dont know anything about price/performance ratios for PC, but by the looks of it an AMD Vega GPU probably means it's not great(?)

But for you PC experts, is $800 for this package a good deal for what you get?
Looks like shit. You can get a laptop with an RTX card for that price.

You can't upgrade this. Not GPU at least.

You can upgrade the motherboard.

Ain't no way in hell they're using DDR5, lol. Also, please don't spend $800 United Murica dollars on this if you want an HTPC.

Notice that they are using consumer DDR5, not Gamer DDR5. That's the main difference.

What a ripoff . You can build something with a ryzen 5 and a 6600 GPU at that price and will be literally 4-5x more powerfull

But not in this form factor, I think they took a spec hit in order to have a console PC experience, which is probably why it costs $800.

May only be around Xbox One level but most PC's using steam are worse than that if that one article is too be believed, so maybe the average consumer outside this form may actually find this device tempting. Who knows.

Fbh

You can't upgrade a laptop like you upgrade this.

I don't know man.

So the sales argument is that instead of getting a laptop that will perform much better for the same price you get this instead because you can then spend even more money to upgrade it so eventually you end up with a $1300 computer that performs like an $800 laptop?.

One of the main points of getting a desktop instead of a laptop is that you get a lot more power for your money.....not the other way around.

Besides isn't the point of pre build PC's to appeal to people that don't want to tinker with the hardware? If you feel comfortable replacing the motherboard, adding ram, replacing the CPU, adding a GPU (not even sure if it's possible here) why not just build something yourself and get a lot more performance for the same money?

I guess it works if you really want a sff PC to play Counter-Strike and Valorant and aren’t that price sensitive. I imagine a lot of buyers will be disappointed if they ever try running a current gen game on it though.

Crayon

The Vega graphics do more or less disqualify this. I would guess you are looking at Forza horizon 5 at 720/60 low. Hardware like this takes a long time to make. Poor planning.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This seems like complete garbage for any actual gaming. Worse than a base PS4 but twice as expensive as a PS5 (DE), lol. "But you can do so much more with a PC, waaah!!!" Then buy a PS5 and a $300-400 notebook, that combination will provide much more value than this waste of space. Or get a decent gaming PC.

Last edited:

Amiga

GPU is 1.43 tflops :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Wouldn't this perform worst than a PS5?

How does this stack up to SX/PS5? Also for 800 bucks compared to the other 2? I don’t see a need for it, it to each their own!
Worse than a base PS4. Even the Steam Deck is more powerful.
This likely just for mobile game E-sports.

They couldn't even wait until zen 4 launches and instead use the 5600G as their all in one processor? MSI are a fucking mess.
probably dumping their stock.

demigod

Notice that they are using consumer DDR5, not Gamer DDR5. That's the main difference.

The B&H specs are wrong. The models are the same, these are DDR4. There is no way they would put DDR4 in one and DDR5 in the other with the same price. The motherboards would have to be different. I don't think you know anything about PCs dude.

The B&H specs are wrong. The models are the same, these are DDR4. There is no way they would put DDR4 in one and DDR5 in the other with the same price. The motherboards would have to be different. I don't think you know anything about PCs dude.

The fact such an obvious sarcastic post flew over your head makes wonder.

Also btw, they aren't the same, keyboard and mouse comes with the B&H config. Still not worth $800 to me though, you know what I said in the OP.

AmuroChan

Who exactly is the target audience for this? For $800 you can build a pretty decent gaming PC to play your Steam and PC Gamepass library. Plus you have the flexibility to upgrade the components over time.

Who exactly is the target audience for this? For $800 you can build a pretty decent gaming PC to play your Steam and PC Gamepass library. Plus you have the flexibility to upgrade the components over time.

Build?

You answered your question, it's for people who don't want to build a PC. They want to buy a product that can plug right into a TV and is easy to set up. Since many people don't mind not having the best graphics and usually don't look at what their buying beforehand, MSI must have done the math and figured there would be people who'd buy this at the $800 price point.

I think they are only expecting 10 or 20,000 buyers looking at the stock they gave to Taiwan and Hong Kong when they got it earlier, they don't seem to be shipping a lot of these PC consoles. So I'm sure they know it's underpowered.

Although it's not a good deal for gaming, I do wonder if you could build a PC with the same form factor but more powerful for less than $800. If it would cost more than that to imitate this design than it's clear who their target audience is for this device, casual PC gamers that just want to buy and play.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: amc
Top Bottom