• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MSN: Electronic Arts (EA) takes on Soccer - pays $588 million for Premier League rights.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/fi...premier-league-rights/ar-AA17uiqe?li=BB15ms5q
Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: EA), the video game company based in California, is closing a $588 million deal with the Premier League for its game EA Sports FC (previously known as FIFA)
According to Sky Sports, the Premier League held a meeting with 20 clubs to inform them that a six-year partnership with EA Sports is nearly completed.

Moreover, a club executive told Sky Sports the proposed deal with EA is expected to generate more than $97 million per year and will involve the company retaining its exclusive electronic game license as well as remaining the league's lead partner. It’s worth noting the new deal is worth more than double the existing agreement between the two parties.

The Premier League declined to comment on the matter. EA stated that “We don't comment on details of commercial relationships or discussions with our partners.

Looks like EA is partnering with another clubs/league after Fifa's departure. What's more is it may actually end up working really well because Fifa itself has been shooting itself in the foot lately going after Crypto and NFTs.

Strangely, 2K, or other gaming companies haven't been going around making deals with leagues/clubs, despite the field being wide open. No wonder EA has barely any competition.

Well I mean, there's eFootball but eh, we don't talk about that.

Last edited:

TheMan

Oh I forgot about EA splitting from FIFA. So who's making Fifa games now?

EDIT: I think EA made the right business move here. Premier league license allows them to still capture the majority of the best players in the world. I bet their sales dont' really suffer much. Plus it gives them expansion options for the next few years- adding leagues from italy, spain, france, even the US. (LOL just kidding at the last one)

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Strangely, 2K, or other gaming companies haven't been going around making deals with leagues/clubs, despite the field being wide open. No wonder EA has barely any competition.

Building a proper football game from scratch that can compete with EA would take ten years and billions.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sounds like a good deal to me. $97M/year. I forget, what was the FIFA brand deal? Like $250M/year?

Then again, EA has to buy up rights to other leagues too.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Sad Feelings GIF

Lunarorbit

Building a proper football game from scratch that can compete with EA would take ten years and billions.
I can't tell if this is a joke or real cause it sounds exactly like the Activision blizzard.

Is the game going to be essentially fifa with the English clubs? Like the same engine and look? Cause I imagine those are EAs assets even though they left fifa

Whats up with all these msn threads lol

2?

Not really. It's a pretty simple format that even the arcade style games can whip together, and you just have to build up the sim from there.

Heck, Konami has a lot to work with with their current uh...

Product, they just don't want to put in anymore than what they have.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I can't tell if this is a joke or real cause it sounds exactly like the Activision blizzard.

Is the game going to be essentially fifa with the English clubs? Like the same engine and look? Cause I imagine those are EAs assets even though they left fifa

I edited it, meant EA instead of FIFA. EA only lost the branding rights, everything else is theirs. It’s basically the same FIFA game with a new name.

Lunarorbit

I edited it, meant EA instead of FIFA. EA only lost the branding rights, everything else is theirs. It’s basically the same FIFA game with a new name.
Makes sense that it would be the same. Wonder how mtx will be in these games. I never play them but they're so big they help set the market for a variety of issues

Ozriel

M$FT
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/fi...premier-league-rights/ar-AA17uiqe?li=BB15ms5q

Looks like EA is partnering with another clubs/league after Fifa's departure. What's more is it may actually end up working really well because Fifa itself has been shooting itself in the foot lately going after Crypto and NFTs.

Not sure why you're framing an agreement with the Premier league as something new. This is a renegotiation of an existing deal

Literally how Konamis been doing it, you just want to give EA excuses for monopolies.

Do you understand that Konami has been making football games for decades?

Not sure why you're framing an agreement with the Premier league as something new. This is a renegotiation of an existing deal

Do you understand that Konami has been making football games for decades?

And then reformatted when they changed over to efootball, yes.

Thirty7ven

Banned
If you think it takes 10 years to develop a football like Fifa with a studio with hundreds of people developing it, I think your not correct

That competes? You gotta build game systems from the ground up, animation systems, collision systems, physic systems. Then you need to scan hundreds of players. Develop sp modes and multiplayer modes with the sort of marketplace that FIFA has. You have to iterate on all of these things probably three times minimum?

Yeah ten years.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
How many years? 10?

$50 million per year isnt too bad. The game makes a billion every year.

Top Bottom