• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MSN paid services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
1% of 2000MB

That is the size of my mailbox now! I knew paying the 19.95 a year would pay off someday! ROCKS!!!

Blackace

Well I have had this address forever and it is tied to many business aspects of my life... so for me... it is well worth it

Blackace

Hotmail..

been that way ever since hotmail was out... so I just use it and always have, and most likely always doesn't seem to bother the people I have worked for, or with.

maharg

idspispopd
If I were working with you, it would bother me. And I wouldn't tell you it did. Even a plain old ISP address is more respectable. @msn.com would actually be better than @hotmail.com, since no one is gonna know you paid for that hotmail address. They'll just assume it's a free throwaway.

Mind you that it would not stop me from doing business with someone directly, but if I were, say contracting someone and it came down to a hotmailer and someone who's got their act more together with regard to their contact information, it could swing things. It's a first impression thing.

Blackace

hahaha well thanks for the heads up but the last 10 years have been ok for me.

Most people that do hiring, screening or the what not don't have a clue about addresses or not... at least from my dealings. So if I have something more "respectful" (as you so put it) they wouldn't know the difference...

Blackace

Fair enough! judging someone by an email provider seems pretty petty to me... but that is just my opinion

maharg

idspispopd
Keep in mind also that my career is generally tech heavy. It probably makes more of a difference for me than most people.

And I don't think it's petty at all. I want people I deal with to be at least using an address I can expect to be stable and accessible, and freemail addresses tend to be very much not so, and the use of them can indicate a desire to hide something. Pretty much everyone on the internet has some address that's more reliable, either through their job or through their isp.

And as I said, it's about first impressions. I don't expect people to have some super-awesoma clever email address, just a reliable one.

Blackace

Not to keep the pissing contest going. but you and both know that quite a few business accounts just forward to a free account.. thems are the facts of life... I didn't say all... but quite a few do. So when you see an @gaming-age.com it doesn't mean they have anymore but a name.. that dumps your mail into a hotmail, or yahoo account...

maharg

idspispopd
Of course, but if someone's taken the time and/or money to get hosting that does that forwarding, it is much better. In fact, it's almost more ideal than using your office or isp email, since you can change the address it eventually goes to.

Blackace

So then... having a free account is good?

Blackace

But...if that plain old free hosting fails... then what good is have a name to forward it to?

maharg

idspispopd
I would say that it's up to the person to make sure it doesn't fail. If the servers are down for a while, the forwarder should keep trying for up to a week before giving up on it. If it's a full mailbox problem and it bounces right back at me, well, I'll know at that point that they are using a freemail provider and it's back to square one, if possible.

Again, however, I know that they've put some money and/or time into making sure their (virtual) appearances are good, so I will generally expect them to keep that up until proven otherwise.

Blackace

BUT they are still using free mail services or paid like mine... So from what you are saying if I slapped a @whatever.com being my email I then, in your eyes, become more respectful even if you know I am using a free provider... I guess I just don't see the logic in that... but to each their own...

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
arch.jpg

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
maharg said:
If I were working with you, it would bother me. And I wouldn't tell you it did. Even a plain old ISP address is more respectable. @msn.com would actually be better than @hotmail.com, since no one is gonna know you paid for that hotmail address. They'll just assume it's a free throwaway.

Mind you that it would not stop me from doing business with someone directly, but if I were, say contracting someone and it came down to a hotmailer and someone who's got their act more together with regard to their contact information, it could swing things. It's a first impression thing.

I have NO idea what you are talking about in the tech industry there is no looking down on someone for having a hotmail.com email address business or personal. Recently representatives from the Fox show Trading Spouses were on the Don & Mike show recently soliciting for more families interested in trading families... the email address they asked people to respond to.... was a hotmail.com address.

maharg

idspispopd
DarienA said:
I have NO idea what you are talking about in the tech industry there is no looking down on someone for having a hotmail.com email address business or personal. Recently representatives from the Fox show Trading Spouses were on the Don & Mike show recently soliciting for more families interested in trading families... the email address they asked people to respond to.... was a hotmail.com address.

I can only speak for myself (and have only done so) and my own dealings with others.

Blackace

impirius said:
Just put on your resume: "I've had it since it was HoTMaiL so it's cool"

I will...when I am looking for a job thanks...

In all seriousness, I'm looking forward to when my MSN and Hotmail E-mail addresses get upgraded as well. (I'm still at 10MB right now, but it says the upgrade is "coming soon".) I use Hotmail primarily for web sign-ups, internet purchases, etc., and with the MSN Outlook Connector, I'm quite happy with it. I wouldn't have paid except for the fact that I needed a backup dial-up service; this way, it's a two-for-one.

I still don't know how long it will take to fill 2 GB of E-mails... All my E-mails for the last 7 years still total under 1 GB...

Deg

Banned
there are other webmails offering 1GB or more.

I personally like mine offline as well. So i use other types. Not exactly 1 GB + space but still more than i need(200+MB).

ghostface

DarienA said:
Recently representatives from the Fox show Trading Spouses were on the Don & Mike show recently soliciting for more families interested in trading families... the email address they asked people to respond to.... was a hotmail.com address.
And how does that disprove what Maharg is saying about hotmail addresses seeming unprofessional?

On resumes, I see nothing wrong with putting a hotmail address (its just your email address). But for anything business, hotmail/yahoo come off as pretty cheap and unprofessional. I would NEVER use one on a business card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom