• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiplayer gamers, what level of interest do you have regarding cosmetics?

Multiplayer gamers, which number most correlates with you?

• 5 - I'm basically a whale.

• 4 - I'll spend some on a bunch of different multiplayer games.

• 3 - I'll only purchase cosmetics on my "main" game.

• 2 - Pretty sparingly. These companies don't make much off of me.

• 1 - Never. I've yet to, and plan on never buying cosmetics for any multiplayer game ever. Period.

• 0 - I don't play multiplayer but I like voting and I respect poll integrity.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Surprisingly, boomer franchise Halo has gotten a lot of criticism for its Battle Pass issues in Halo Infinite. All of a sudden, the "What do you need skins and emotes for? Back in my day gameplay was king..." crowd started demanding more skins + emotes.

halo-infinite-paid-skins.jpg

That got me thinking, if NeoGAF finds this to be an issue, just how many of us are actually spending money on things like Battle Passes, skins, emotes etc...

Personally, I'm somewhere between #3 and #2. Unfortunately, I spent over $300 dollars on Fortnite **** during its first year but I haven't spent since. Now I'll only buy skins in my main multiplayer game if I think it grants some small competitive advantage. The allure of playing dress up has faded considerably.

Last edited:

Soulja

I very rarely buy cosmetics unless they are mega cheap. I honestly do not understand how a whole game full of content can cost £50 but then a single skin that takes little time to make then costs a silly money, and some are even £10+ which is crazy to me!

kingfey

Banned
Cosmetic Multiplayer is nice.
What isn't nice, is adding stats to them, which will affect the gameplay of the game.
You do that shit, and you will be piece of shit. You are making the game p2w, which will drive out most players.

Bartski

Gold Member
You mean paid MTX cosmetics. Zero interest in those, but I like cosmetics and skins that are challenge-related and acquired through gameplay. If I like the game I consider them part of the progression.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I rarely if ever buy cosmetics outright. I did buy a pack for Titanfall 2 once upon a time. I'll buy a game's battle pass if I like what I see in the paid tier of the rewards.

Uiki

I have 5000 hours on csgo. Never bought anything.

So... I could not give a single shit about textures in game.

So sparingly it would be generous to even call myself a minnow. I've bought some mounts and pets in WoW when they went half off or some for a charity. Same in Overwatch, but that's it. Even if I had that much money to toss around I'd much rather just spend it on a new game or hardware upgrade.

Boneless

I like rare cosmetics that you have to earn. Thats mostly singleplayer, if I see people wearing epic cosmetics in multiplayer games nowadays I expect its a 16 year old with mummy's creditcard.

Last edited:

Flintty

I don't mind dropping a few quid occasionally on good F2P or Gamepass games that keep me interested, if it supports the game and content is continually added. A good example of mtx done well is Sea of Thieves.

I only regretted paying money for cosmetics in one game and that was Destiny 2. I felt like I was gouged in that game and I'm glad I broke the cycle and will likely never play that awful cash-grab again.

I'm guilty as fuck for buying the Samurai shit in Halo Infinite. I love the game and the look of the cosmetics. I will likely play for years so I don't mind supporting the game. That said, if content doesn't keep evolving I won't spend another penny. I want to see value for my money spent.

Whatever costume is in the battle pass of choice that I buy. Mp games are my warm up before the main meaty singleplayer games i play.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
2 - I will say there there are certain games like Apex Legends, Path of Exile and Warzone where I will buy a cosmetic or two. Path of Exile had me on the hook for storage space and organizational tabs, which are...absolutely terrific. Those 3 games have definitely made more than 60 dollars off of me.

Overall, I'm more addicted to functional MTX. FFXIV and the retainer service is a good example. I got 4 retainers (extra storage, and other features like ventures). I generally will not pay for something that has any aspect of RNG.

I just started Star Citizen about 5 days ago. Thank God it's free fly week. But I know that it's a trap. Now I REALLY WANT THESE SHIPS and they are NOT CHEAP.

Phase

I don't care about cosmetics at all, but taking out what used to be standard in order to monetize it is a problem.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I've only bought a few cosmetics for Insurgency Sanstorm because the team is small.

I actually have less interest in playing F2P games due to the monetization. I've only played a few hours of Infinite for example, as I've mostly been playing Insurgency and BF4 lately.

Phase

For being a free game, I'd say that's a very fair trade off.
If you like a worse version of the game, sure.
Charging $60 for access to the multiplayer limits the potential audience.
Didn't seem to be a problem when millions were playing Halo 2 and paying for xbox live at the same time. With an already established franchise with a large fanbase going f2p is clearly a cash grab.

You apologists are starting to annoy me, and all you're doing is normalizing practices that are detrimentally affecting the quality of games we all play.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Didn't seem to be a problem when millions were playing Halo 2 and paying for xbox live at the same time.

Halo 2 was released in...checks notes...2004.

In 2021 you're competing against Fortnite, Warzone, and countless other F2P games.

Non-F2P MP shooters die on the vine in 2021. Just look at Outriders and Back 4 Blood. Hell even Overwatch is dying both from Blizzard's negligence and the fact that you can play the same game for free with Paladins.

Last edited:

BigBooper

As best I can remember, I've never bought a cosmetic and I don't plan on it in the future.

If they were reasonably priced, like $.10 then I might.

K' Dash

I like customization, I'd also like that people would look different, everybody is unlocking shot at almost the same rate and you can see the fucking skins repeated all over both teams.

This would have been easy to solve, probably was discussed but 343 didn't give a shit, so here we are, everybody unlocking the same shit, at the same time, looking exactly the same.

With all that said, I won't spend a dime to buy any skins.

Last edited:
I love them. Even thought I dont really buy them. Fornite is the king in this. I can see this being really awesome when I was younger.

I prefer Playstation’s way in Spiderman, Horizon, and Sackboy. I bought Sackboy just 2 days ago. And everytime I sign in there’s a free costume. Another reminder why I like them exclusives.

VAVA Mk2

I will mostly try earning in game stuff but if something amazing is offered in shop and is fair price, I might go for it.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I think cosmetics only became a concern because the core gameplay was so good.

marvel-is-it-though.gif

If Halo Infinite doesn't have much of a player base in 3 months will it be because of the Battle Pass or will it be because the core gameplay is actually not that good?

CeeJay

I picked 2. I bought a couple of cosmetics and a couple of battle passes for sea of thieves and even then it was charity sails. I can't see myself buying anything for Halo, I don't think the franchise lends itself well to the whole f2p model. I don't really care too much what my Spartan looks like and the game is too quick and often played at distance so I never notice anything about the enemy team members let alone what their shoulder armour is it what type of visor they have. At the end of the day, the Spartan armour is pretty generic and uninteresting so 343 has got an uphill struggle to make their cosmetics appealing to me. At least in sea of thieves you spend quite a lot of your play time stood around on the ship checking out what your ship mates are wearing, what pet they have and what the ship looks like. There's also a lot more scope for creativity with a cartoon style pirate adventure game like SoT so it seems much easier to create appealing cosmetics than with Halo.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
"What are you, a default?"
(It's hard to believe this is an actual insult.)

Still, do I pay real money for in-game cosmetics?
Oh absolutely...I'm basically a cosmoholic.

It's an addiction.
Phil Hartman crying GIF by Saturday Night Live

...I need help.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I've never bought cosmetics in any game and never use them when I earn them or they come as with the game as a bonus
"What are you, a default?"
(It's hard to believe this is an actual insult.)

Still, do I pay real money for in-game cosmetics?
Oh absolutely...I'm basically a cosmoholic.

It's an addiction.
Phil Hartman crying GIF by Saturday Night Live

...I need help.

I'm the complete opposite of you. :messenger_beaming:

I've never bought any cosmetics in any game and never even use them when I earn them or they come as with the game as a bonus.

Top Bottom