• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple Ratchet & Clank Games are coming to PS PLus as celebration of the franchise 20th anniversary

Draugoth

Gold Member
dd34892293a45a6eb2bd2e870f101457375f11f8.jpg
Fgukms1XgAkZ7iJ

So, beginning today, we’re kicking off our Ratchet & Clank celebrations – #Ratchet20 if you will, by dropping a few surprises and briefly looking back at the franchise.

Let’s get straight to the good stuff: we’re thrilled to announce Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart will receive a 20th Anniversary Armor Pack TODAY in honor of #Ratchet20, which will be available via a game update at no extra cost. * The pack includes five armors inspired by games throughout the franchise’s history – and we have an awesome selection:

• Commando Armor inspired by Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
  • Holoflux Armor inspired by Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
  • Quest Armor inspired by Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty
  • Marauder Armor inspired by Ratchet: Deadlocked
  • Clank armor to celebrate the greatest of pals

Coming to PlayStation Plus Premium on November 15:

• Ratchet & Clank (PS3)
  • Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (PS3)
  • Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (PS3)
  • Ratchet & Clank: Deadlocked (PS3)
  • Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)

Last edited:
Might give these a blast, played through most of Quest for Booty via PSNow and it was pretty good given the game was 60fps. Hopefully the same with these HD collection PS3 versions as the Vita port I'm playing can only do so much

yurinka

I assume that at the end of this celebration, maybe almost a year from now, they'll announce the PC port of Ratchet 2016, will add Rift Apart to PS Plus and will announce a brand new Ratchet for PS5. And probably also a new CG movie too.

No what I'd expect is that they drop an emulator (or at the very least these games wrapped in an emulator). The PS5 hardware is more than capable of running something like that but they clearly don't give a fuck.
According to both a RPCS3 emulator dev and an Insomniac/Ice Team PS3 dev the current PS5 hardware can't emulate properly a PS3 due to tech limitations. At least those games who take advantage of the problematic part to emulate from the PS3.

Last edited:
No what I'd expect is that they drop an emulator (or at the very least these games wrapped in an emulator). The PS5 hardware is more than capable of running something like that but they clearly don't give a fuck.

I mean we clearly knew they weren’t about to do that with this announcement anyway so to act surprised over it seems weird.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I mean we clearly knew they weren’t about to do that with this announcement anyway so to act surprised over it seems weird.
I think it's more about applying pressure on them to act on 'native' with an emulator. The PC is eating them alive in that regards.

But I don't expect one until either a Pro console or PS6, I would be surprised and impressed on the base PS5.

Last edited:
I will say, the last time I used the streaming for a PS3 game it was honestly difficult to tell that I wasn't playing a native game.

Granted, the last time I used it was for an Atelier game, which is a turn based RPG... and Sony probably gave me priority bandwidth for playing such a chad game

Ozriel

M$FT
According to both a RPCS3 emulator dev and an Insomniac/Ice Team PS3 dev the current PS5 hardware can't emulate properly a PS3 due to tech limitations. At least those games who take advantage of the problematic part to emulate from the PS3.

I’m not sure how to believe this. RPCS3 runs on a Steamdeck which packs an RDNA2 GPU and a Zen 2 CPU. Same setup as the PS5 but much weaker.

Here’s A Crack in Time running on a Deck

Last edited:
I will say, the last time I used the streaming for a PS3 game it was honestly difficult to tell that I wasn't playing a native game.

Granted, the last time I used it was for an Atelier game, which is a turn based RPG... and Sony probably gave me priority bandwidth for playing such a chad game

Streaming on psnow isn’t bad at all. I played through the original god of war trilogy recently with it.

It sucks because it times out so quickly though and you can easily lose progress if you gotta put the controller down for some time, which i usually have to do these days.

Thief1987

All other peasants who living where streaming is not available can watch how we celebrating! Loseeeers!

Last edited:
I was hoping they would drop Rift Apart on the Extra tier of Plus. Been looking to play it and have been on the fence about buying it as it seems like it’s really close to hitting the service.

My luck will be that I buy it and it drops the next day lol

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah, streaming lol.

Those PS3 RnC games are 50% of the reason I still have my old hardware.

wvnative

Pathetic, not just because streaming, but those PS3 remasters were awful. Need to make an updated PS2 emulator and bring those to the service. This franchise deserves so much better.

Pathetic, not just because streaming, but those PS3 remasters were awful. Need to make an updated PS2 emulator and bring those to the service. This franchise deserves so much better.
The fact they could release the native PS2 versions but...won't...only to give us the streaming PS3 versions, lmao.

The PS Plus Premium tier still feels such a waste of an opportunity. Clearly they weren't ready for that tier yet.
If by October 2023 tha doesn't change i'll buy renew Extra instead

GhostOfTsu

Banned
One fanbase is all about streaming and can't wait to move their library to the cloud and pay monthly.

The other fucking hates streaming and don't even want to touch it even if it works really well 🤷‍♂️

wvnative

The fact they could release the native PS2 versions but...won't...only to give us the streaming PS3 versions, lmao.

The PS Plus Premium tier still feels such a waste of an opportunity. Clearly they weren't ready for that tier yet.
If by October 2023 tha doesn't change i'll buy renew Extra instead

Sony's current state depresses me, don't expect improvements by next year.

LRKD

Why the PS3 version of Deadlocked…..the PS3 version is a giant piece of shit.
Opened this thread in hopes of seeing that exactly this game was getting a new remaster/port or something. How is that barely playable pos a celebration of the game? Plus they closed the multiplayer servers for the ps3 version years ago.

Sony's current state depresses me, don't expect improvements by next year.
I'm not playing on PS5 because of these old dusty games.

I'm okay by being depressed with games like Ragnarok. These tiers are just a little extra for me...but since i'm paying for them i'd like them to be decent at least. That's why i won't renew next year most likely.

scydrex

Damn... I saw the title and entered right away! Thought they would give Rift Apart for extra and premium... Also streaming those titles only? Bah...

ManaByte

Gold Member
Edited my comment above with a YT video

More. Apparently all the PS3 games run pretty OK.

“Pretty OK” is fine for an emulator running ISOs. “Pretty OK” is not fine for a service Sony is charging for, which is you’ll never get PS3 downloads on a PS5.

LRKD

“Pretty OK” is fine for an emulator running ISOs. “Pretty OK” is not fine for a service Sony is charging for, which is you’ll never get PS3 downloads on a PS5.
"Pretty OK" is better then the pos PS3 version of Ratchet and Clank Deadlocked they are selling on the store right now and are planning on putting on a service sony is charging for :pie_eyeroll:

ksdixon

I mean, did you expect them to make full on remastered ports of them for this one occasion?
What's wrong with the iso's on PStore and running through that new emulator with different graphics settings?

Other than MS, who da fuck asked for streaming games outside of its probable inclusion in the behind the curtain mechanics of remote play and shareplay?

Ozriel

M$FT

It’s running well. ‘Pretty OK’ is an understatement on my part.

And if it runs ‘pretty well’ on a 4core Zen 2 CPU + 8CU RDNA 2 GPU, it’s much more likely to run better on a faster clocked 8 Core CPU + a much faster clocked 36CU GPU PS5.

Certainly will run better native - and likely upscaled via emulator - than streamed at PS3 resolution for most people.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Certainly will run better native - and likely upscaled via emulator - than streamed at PS3 resolution for most people.
The streaming versions are running on actual PS3 hardware. Never had a problem with anything streaming on PS Now. Works much better than GeForce.

Top Bottom