• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple Ratchet & Clank Games are coming to PS PLus as celebration of the franchise 20th anniversary

are they really coming??? As opposed to they were removed artificially just for this occasion to now return?

Because i had PS Now for 2 years, and i can tell u PS+ is just PS Now. Except sorta worse.

Ozriel

M$FT
The streaming versions are running on actual PS3 hardware. Never had a problem with anything streaming on PS Now. Works much better than GeForce.

‘Most people’.
There’s a global audience out there, including many regions where PS3 streaming isn’t supported.
Not to mention RPCS3 allows internal resolution upscaling on capable enough hardware. PS5 GPU should be able to scale at up to 4K, with resulting much better visuals than native

skit_data

They should do something like this every month from now on, anniversary or not.
Just add all the old games and franchises to Premium/Extra and you got a winner sub service on your hands Sony.

Ozriel

M$FT
Insomniac says it can’t. They have more experience with the hardware.

I’d like to see a source for this statement.

Again, we’ve seen RPCS3 run pretty well in a much weaker Steamdeck running Linux. And the Deck uses pretty much the exact same chipset, just stripped down

Agent X

Odd they are leaving out A Crack in Time.

It's already on PS Plus Premium, as the original PS.Blog post also states. Draugoth Draugoth didn't quote the entire article in his post.

Pathetic, not just because streaming, but those PS3 remasters were awful. Need to make an updated PS2 emulator and bring those to the service. This franchise deserves so much better.

The fact they could release the native PS2 versions but...won't...only to give us the streaming PS3 versions, lmao.

The PS Plus Premium tier still feels such a waste of an opportunity. Clearly they weren't ready for that tier yet.
If by October 2023 tha doesn't change i'll buy renew Extra instead

Sony's streaming works very well these days. I played through the entire game of Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus on PS Now about 2 years ago. More recently, I've been playing Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus in The Sly Collection on PS Plus Premium streaming. Both of those games are quite playable.

That said, I think Sony should've dusted off their PS2 emulator for PS4/PS5, so that they could give us the PS2 versions instead. By doing this, it would create a new PS4/PS5 executable package which would (theoretically) be more "future-proof" if subsequent Sony systems continue to evolve from the PS4/PS5 architecture. It would also enable the user to choose either downloading or streaming, as opposed to the current setup where the PS3 games can only be streamed. The PS2 emulator also allows them to run the games in higher resolutions, and use PS4/PS5 OS features like screen shot/video capture, Remote Play, and SharePlay.

Sony should have also done this (use the PS2 versions) for the games in The Sly Collection, and should consider doing so for other games such as the God of War series.

wvnative

It's already on PS Plus Premium, as the original PS.Blog post also states. Draugoth Draugoth didn't quote the entire article in his post.

Sony's streaming works very well these days. I played through the entire game of Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus on PS Now about 2 years ago. More recently, I've been playing Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus in The Sly Collection on PS Plus Premium streaming. Both of those games are quite playable.

That said, I think Sony should've dusted off their PS2 emulator for PS4/PS5, so that they could give us the PS2 versions instead. By doing this, it would create a new PS4/PS5 executable package which would (theoretically) be more "future-proof" if subsequent Sony systems continue to evolve from the PS4/PS5 architecture. It would also enable the user to choose either downloading or streaming, as opposed to the current setup where the PS3 games can only be streamed. The PS2 emulator also allows them to run the games in higher resolutions, and use PS4/PS5 OS features like screen shot/video capture, Remote Play, and SharePlay.

Sony should have also done this (use the PS2 versions) for the games in The Sly Collection, and should consider doing so for other games such as the God of War series.

To clarify I'm fine with native PS3 games being streamed as I understand the limitations of that and I have few issues streaming myself.

My issue is just that they keep using these busted PS3 remasters that sucked already on PS3 and now want to use that as a lazy excuse to not have to actually update the PS2 emulator.

nial

Gold Member
I mean, did you expect them to make full on remastered ports of them for this one occasion?
Why not? I mean, something like the Uncharted collection for the PS3 games would have been much better. You could also have emulation for the PS2/PSP titles.
And the fact that they're forgetting the PS4 game is not on Extra, lol.

Why not? I mean, something like the Uncharted collection for the PS3 games would have been much better. You could also have emulation for the PS2/PSP titles.
And the fact that they're forgetting the PS4 game is not on Extra, lol.

Because it would have been announced way earlier, its just common sense

Dynasty8

So is Rift Apart is not included in the library of PS Plus Premium games?

I'm considering getting premium, but the list of games feels underwhelming compared to game pass so far. Hoping Sony adds more exclusives on there like Kena, Rift Apart, even Horizon in a few months.

marjo

Rift apart is what, 18 months old now? And they still won't include it on their Game Pass competitor? Fuck off Sony.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Man, Sony really needs to figure out a way to get PS3 games to run on the PS4/PS5, not the streaming stuff.

The Rachet and Clank PS3 games are seriously some of the best games I've ever played, especially A Crack in Time, it is absolute gaming bliss with a fantastic story.

Reactions: TLZ

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You'd think all these old games would already have been on their service by the relaunch.

• Thoughtful

Zathalus

Insomniac says it can’t. They have more experience with the hardware.
I doubt Insomniac said anything of the sort. If somebody from them did then they are a fucking idiot as RPCS3 can run these games upscaled on way weaker hardware then the PS5.

• Thoughtful

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
When are EU GAF going to get 60fps options for these games? It was promised a while back that we would get options.

Ben Affleck Reaction GIF

• LOL

FeralEcho

For all the awesome stuff Sony does....they of course had to fuck up the one thing that could've highlighted their amazing legacy of games and enhanced their presence even more in the gaming landscape.These pathetic attempts at "celebrations" with fucking streaming announcements when there are emulators that run PS2 and PS3 games amazingly on their competitor's console only highlight how fucking disgusting they are with they're own legacy.They simply just don't give a fuck so stop pretending Sony!

The costumes for Rift Apart are awesome though.Insomniac stays winning!

Shakka43

I won't be unhooking my PS3 until they come up with a local solution, these games were already too low res for modern TV's and streaming compression makes them worse.

GHG

Gold Member
According to both a RPCS3 emulator dev and an Insomniac/Ice Team PS3 dev the current PS5 hardware can't emulate properly a PS3 due to tech limitations. At least those games who take advantage of the problematic part to emulate from the PS3.

Not seeing how that adds up when lesser PC hardware has no problem running the emulator. Yes there will be a handful of games that won't run well (RDR springs to mind) but for the most part they could still get 100's of games up and running without any compatibility issues.

TLZ

Banned
  • Ratchet & Clank (PS3)
  • Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (PS3)
  • Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (PS3)
  • Ratchet & Clank: Deadlocked (PS3)
  • Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
All streaming. Therefore pointless.

yurinka

Not seeing how that adds up when lesser PC hardware has no problem running the emulator. Yes there will be a handful of games that won't run well (RDR springs to mind) but for the most part they could still get 100's of games up and running without any compatibility issues.
One thing is running the emulator, other is to do it with bugs, not at full performance or using certain processor stuff that PS5 doesn't have. I don't know exactly, they are the ones with proper knowledge and said that.

yurinka

I’m not sure how to believe this. RPCS3 runs on a Steamdeck which packs an RDNA2 GPU and a Zen 2 CPU. Same setup as the PS5 but much weaker.

Here’s A Crack in Time running on a Deck

An emulator running on PS5 should do it at full performance and with no bugs.

nial

Gold Member
According to both a RPCS3 emulator dev and an Insomniac/Ice Team PS3 dev the current PS5 hardware can't emulate properly a PS3 due to tech limitations. At least those games who take advantage of the problematic part to emulate from the PS3.
Source?

Thief1987

Should? Sony emulators? Good joke, but even PS1 and PS2 emulators doesn't have these qualities, i don't know why ps3 emulator suddenly "should" have them.

Last edited:

yurinka

Should? Sony emulators? Good joke, but even PS1 and PS2 emulators doesn't have these qualities, i don't know why ps3 emulator suddenly "should" have them.
PS1, PS2, PSP and PS4 emulators in PS4/PS5 have these qualities wirh some very rare exception, specially when compared with the PS3 emulator for PC, which is a bugfest and doesn't fully support a ton of games.

Same as the PS1 and PSP emulators Sony had on Vita etc.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Imagine having a whole bunch great ps3 games, then creating super powerfull new game machine thats about 30 times as powerfull, and still being unable to actually properly emulate those games on it. Sad.

Skifi28

Imagine a world where they make a PS3 Rachet collection for the PS4/5. No need to remake or add RT or anything else fancy, just upping the resoluton at a decent framerate would be enough.

Kerotan

I'm playing through a crack in time on ps now currently. Platinumed it back in the day and it's still fun. Might give tools of destruction another spin.

TLZ

Banned
there are emulators that run PS2 and PS3 games amazingly on their competitor's console only highlight how fucking disgusting they are with they're own legacy.They simply just don't give a fuck so stop pretending Sony!
The XS doesn't have the RPCS3 port. Imagine the day that happens though...

This is running nicely on a much weaker 1.6tf portable. The PS5 is 10+TF.

Top Bottom