• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple sources are saying Last of Us Remake will come out this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I started watching a playthrough of TLOU last week, got two hours in and I'm very underwhelmed and bored, going to keep going until the end though, the environments look terrible imo though, big and boxy and game-y looking. I went back to see what Uncharted 3 looked like in this regard and its way better, they look more like real spaces, I do acknowledge that they had to create more spaces in TLOU though, you move through areas a lot faster than UC3. So

The game also looks wrong as fuck at 60fps, it looks very soap opera-y during cutscenes and especially in-game it looks like fucking Benny Hill sometimes, its bizarre.

Uncharted 3 is largely a bore to play, though. The rudimentary stealth and resource management in TLOU1 still manage to add a degree of tension that is utterly absent in U3, which felt like a by-the-numbers shooting gallery. The most fun part of Uncharted 3 in fact was arguably the co-op campaign which few people played.

This reply brought to you by Subway™.

BlvckFox

Gold Member
Interesting. What happens to the original Factions in the remake if the second factions is releasing? The multiplayer in the original was fantastic, super under rated.

I'm having trouble thinking of many games that need a full remake less than The Last of Us. I don't understand the need for this.

kyliethicc

Interesting. What happens to the original Factions in the remake if the second factions is releasing? The multiplayer in the original was fantastic, super under rated.
The original multiplayer is not being remade.

The remake is singleplayer. But it might include the new multiplayer game.

Wouldn't be a surprise. It's a remake, and the original game isn't that old so they likely don't have to do TOO much work to get it up to snuff. It should still be a budget title. I can't imagine Sony charging $70 for this.
It's more of a reimagining rather than a straight remake though isn't it? I mean what's the point of remaking it again if it's just better graphics?

They’ve never remade the game before.

The PS4 remaster was just higher res and 60 FPS. Same as they’ve done with the TLOU2 patch for PS5.
What do you think a remaster is? It's just improving the same game. I don't think a straight remake is what they are doing here, I am expecting bigger environments better AI possibly even added and expanded storytelling.

Lunarorbit

I love tlou but this is ridiculous. I'd rather have news about factions.

Guessing they are using the sequels mechanics in this update?

sircaw

Banned
i wonder if it will be like for like, or are they going to adjust some of the levels, maybe less of those move dumpster to the wall to climb stuff.

kyliethicc

I love tlou but this is ridiculous. I'd rather have news about factions.

Guessing they are using the sequels mechanics in this update?
i wonder if it will be like for like, or are they going to adjust some of the levels, maybe less of those move dumpster to the wall to climb stuff.
I hope they update the level, combat, and puzzle design a little. Some basic improvements.

Idk if they’ll add all the mechanics from Part 2 tho (like prone, breaking glass, etc.)

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

I’d hope they update the level, combat, and puzzle design a little. Some basic improvements.

Idk they’ll add all the mechanics from Part 2 tho (like prone, breaking glass, etc.)
You gonna buy it? I'll probably get it when it's on sale or for free. I don't think I can give Sony money a 3rd time for that game

Fbh

I have zero interest in this.
I don't mind it as long as it's one out of multiple things they have coming, but if they delay GOW Ragnarok and this is their big game for the rest of the year it will be really disappointing.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
I hope they update the level, combat, and puzzle design a little. Some basic improvements.

Idk if they’ll add all the mechanics from Part 2 tho (like prone, breaking glass, etc.)
it was a good game, but I noticed a lot of faults with some of its dialogue and environmental details.

I might get the names of some of the lesser characters mixed up as i played it a few years back, so sorry in advance, its been awhile

I remember the building where Tess gets separated from Ellie and Joel, the outside of the house has all its windows broken, and the window frames smashed glass looks exactly the same.

Same smashed class on rows upon rows of glass.( i hope this gets updated, it stood out to me like a sore thumb.)

Then there was the chap they met, the gay guy, I can't recall his name, who said " i have never been past this point", that same guy then gives them a key to open a door in the area he said he has never been too.

I ran into various a.i issues somewhere after the sniper shooting scene, where a person i killed, kept on responding in a constant loop. I think i killed the same guy like 20 times.

Small details i am sure people will argue, but I was told this game was an absolute masterpiece before i played it, and these little details really stood out to me like a sore thumb.

I personally preferred the DLC, i thought the main game was an 8/10 Dlc a 10/10

There were a lot more issues but i have forgotten them now.

I really hope they add, fix, correct, and improve and add to certain parts of the game.

If they are using the new last of us 2 engine to do it, new animations, maybe enemies, new zones etc and some of the things you have suggest sound really good to me.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

it was a good game, but I noticed a lot of faults with some of its dialogue and environmental details.

I might get the names of some of the lesser characters mixed up as i played it a few years back, so sorry in advance, its been awhile

I remember the building where Tess gets separated from Ellie and Joel, the outside of the house has all had broken windows, and the window frames look all exactly the same.

Same smashed class on rows upon roses of glass.( i hope this gets updated, it stood out to me like a sore thumb.

Then there was the chap they met, the gay guy, I can't recall his name, who said " i have never been past this point", that same guy then gives them a key to open a door in the area he said he has never been too.

I ran into various a.i issues somewhere after the sniper shooting scene, where a person i killed, kept on responding in a constant loop. I think i killed the same guy like 20 times.

Small details i am sure people will argue, but I was told this game was an absolute masterpiece before i played it, and these little details really stood out to me like a sore thumb.

I personally preferred the DLC, i thought the main game was an 8/10 Dlc a 10/10

There were a lot more but i have forgotten them.

I really hope they add, fix, correct, and improve certain parts of the game.

If they are using the new last of us 2 engine to do it, new animations, maybe enemies, new zones etc.
Yeah they have a good opportunity to clean up the little issues with this remake.

Part 2 is much improved across all aspects, thankfully. Would be great to have Part 1 at a similar level.

Looks different, environments are not the same seems more like a reimagining like I said, thanks 👍
Nope it’s just a remake. Same as with Demon’s Souls.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Yeah they have a good opportunity to clean up the little issues with this remake.

Part 2 is much improved across all aspects, thankfully. Would be great to have Part 1 at a similar level.
i have still yet to play 2 but it is something i am really looking forward to in the future.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It'll be a far more woke game. Tess will become the alpha and Joel will be beta. Elle will be the one to constantly save Joel's ass. Elle will punch a guy selling bigot sandwiches. Tommy will constantly be put in his place.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Remaster vs Remake

lpiwuB9.jpg

Nope it’s just a remake. Same as with Demon’s Souls.
I am shocked its May 19, 2022 and there are still debates about the difference between a remake and remaster.

Hezekiah

Banned
If its packaged with a proper next-gen remaster of TLOUII and their Factions multiplayer, it would do well. But, if its releasing on its own, I'm not sure positioning it as a "big holiday release" is the right approach. This remake is unnecessary, and no one is clamoring for it. The original game has lots of fans, but enough to turn up in droves for a USD$70.00 remake at Christmas? Not sure I see it.
Yeah it can only be $70 with Factions 2 bundled with it imo.

Hell of a 12 months from Sony if we get Horizon Forbidden West, GT7, God of War Ragnarok, and Factions 2 + TLOU remake in one year.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Hoping it gets a PS4 version too.

Concern much?

What would be the point?
What’s the point of cross gen games?

I think people need to prepare themselves for this being a ps4 game with ps4 quality graphics at 4k. This is likely being packaged with factions and that’s a cross gen game. I highly doubt they will have a fancy Matrix quality remake and a last gen mp game on the same disc.

Why? You can still play Factions right now.

And they‘re making a brand new TLOU multiplayer game.
I know I could still play it, and I still often do, but I wouldn’t mind if it had updated visuals, combat and controls, because the combat is so much better in the second game. Which I’m assuming will be similar in the remake.

I know they’re making a separate one, but I don’t have faith it will be as good as the first, because the maps are just too good, unless they throw in all the maps from the first into the second, then I’ll be OK with that. I still just have a feeling it’s going to be filled with even more microtransactions and shit though since it’s going to be free to play. They’re bad enough in the first game.

kyliethicc

I know I could still play it, and I still often do, but I wouldn’t mind if it had updated visuals, combat and controls, because the combat is so much better in the second game. Which I’m assuming will be similar in the remake.

I know they’re making a separate one, but I don’t have faith it will be as good as the first, because the maps are just too good, unless they throw in all the maps from the first into the second, then I’ll be OK with that. I still just have a feeling it’s going to be filled with even more microtransactions and shit though since it’s going to be free to play. They’re bad enough in the first game.
Not gonna be free to play.

SlimySnake

Expecting a significant technical change otherwise Sony will be roasted to hell and back by everyone, rightfully so.
Doubt it. Just the other week, i listed all the next gen enhancements I expected from a PS3 to PS5 remake of the last of us and people were like my expectations are too high, not gonna happen etc. Sony knows that they can just roll out another cross gen looking game with TLOU2 quality assets and people will eat it up. After an initial outrage, no one seems to give a shit about HFW, GOW and GT7 being cross gen, no one will roast sony for tlou remake following suit.

Sony has done such a remarkable job of lowering expectations that people will just be happy if this game launches in 2022. Significant technical improvement be damned.

SlimySnake

Not gonna be free to play.
Pretty sure its already been announced that this is a big destiny like PvE game. its not just a battle royale or pvp only factions that was in the original PS3. I think it was either ND announcing it or one of the job listings, but they specifically mentioned how they are bring SP elements into this online game. I bet we will have a PvE campaign like Destiny along with raids and stuff. This will be a full fledged game.

Sony might release the battle royale mode as f2p because it constantly needs players to fill lobbies, but the actual factions game will be its own SKU.

Shmunter

Doubt it. Just the other week, i listed all the next gen enhancements I expected from a PS3 to PS5 remake of the last of us and people were like my expectations are too high, not gonna happen etc. Sony knows that they can just roll out another cross gen looking game with TLOU2 quality assets and people will eat it up. After an initial outrage, no one seems to give a shit about HFW, GOW and GT7 being cross gen, no one will roast sony for tlou remake following suit.

Sony has done such a remarkable job of lowering expectations that people will just be happy if this game launches in 2022. Significant technical improvement be damned.
You’re killing me!

kyliethicc

Pretty sure its already been announced that this is a big destiny like PvE game. its not just a battle royale or pvp only factions that was in the original PS3. I think it was either ND announcing it or one of the job listings, but they specifically mentioned how they are bring SP elements into this online game. I bet we will have a PvE campaign like Destiny along with raids and stuff. This will be a full fledged game.

Sony might release the battle royale mode as f2p because it constantly needs players to fill lobbies, but the actual factions game will be its own SKU.
They called it “cinematic” in a job listing, nothing more.

I hope it does have some PvE story-ish modes, raids, etc. Would be cool.

Why I doubt it will be free to play:

1. Sony wants to sell PS Plus subs.
2. It’s a Naughty Dog AAA game that has years of budget sunk into it.
3. Destruction AllStars (still) isn’t free to play. Was even gonna be $70 lol
4. Their last free to play games (Drawn to Death, Killstrain) flopped and died.
5. Games like GTA and Red Dead Online aren’t free to play.
6. Has to be a paid game if they also want to bundle it with the TLOU remake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom