• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple sources are saying Last of Us Remake will come out this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shmunter

Then it's the same game with better graphics just like a remaster, so again I don't see the point in doing another remake of TLOU.
The only point i can see is if it’s a tech test. No need to focus on gameplay design or narrative, leaving ample resources free from distraction just to focus on the engine for the next gen.

Speculation is it may be cross gen, if that’s the case they can fly a kite.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
The reason why they do this is because the PS4 remaster sold a lot of units, this is just another way to milk this game alongside the TV show.

Interesting to see some of the comments talking about mismanagement/waste of time and resources etc. But I think we'd only get ND's side of the story (and even then, it might only be half the story) once they announce the game and start doing marketing for it

Who knows, ND could've had the Lost Legacy team progressing the remake, with the majority of the studio works on Factions and a small, core team working on TLOU3 or a new IP?

Kind of pointless to throw around these accusations or even judge the remake before we even see anything lol

NahaNago

well, I'll be excited to see the improvements in the visuals but I won't buy or play it. I've only ever gotten maybe through a third of this game.

Give me a remake of jak and daxter or the infamous games.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Im not sure what to take away from the clip. I watched till the end.

Are you saying the game will be PS5 only? The Abby model upgrade looks good I suppose.

I'm only saying that the remake would be much more than what's technically possible on PS4 as you believe it will be.

Jason's original article confusing at points so I understand the concern. The main reason I believe it will go way beyond PS4 limits was Jason explaining how Herman's thought process was to shift dev responsibility to ND since they had a more appropriate budget and it allowed ND to become familiar with PS5. Why would a remake limited to ps4 abilities need a large budget and PS5 experience?

How is this such a big deal? It's like any other game...don't like it? Don't buy it or play it, lmao..

About being a waste of resources and time...there's a new generation happening, there's a tv show happening, it will turn into profit for the studio while they are developing bigger and more expensive projects. Nothing will go to waste. Everybody wins...and the ones that don't want it will remain unbothered.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Love how you hate the writer and director of the game you apparently like lol

hit the copium
You killed that man

Season 2 Lol GIF by The Lonely Island

Last edited:

Fake

How is this such a big deal? It's like any other game...don't like it? Don't buy it or play it, lmao..

About being a waste of resources and time...there's a new generation happening, there's a tv show happening, it will turn into profit for the studio while they are developing bigger and more expensive projects. Nothing will go to waste. Everybody wins...and the ones that don't want it will remain unbothered.

So much contradiction in a single post. Nice work.

'Don't like it? Don't buy or play' was not the main fuel of console warriors, but the most common console warrior excuse since the beginning of PS360 era.

And yes, is a waste of resource. Since people here have a short memory, The Last of Us was a new IP when people (mostly Sony fans) complain over ND keep milking the Uncharted series, and surprise surprise, their new IP was a sucess.

The remaster play super well, runs like a dream and if they are so much confidence about the sequel, let them make some sort of DLC or the much asked multiplayer.

There is no 'everybody wins' dude lmao. ND is one of the best studio around and they're doing 'remakes' like others third party studio for cheap money. AND, lets not forget that Bend Studio are helping with the project since people here believe in the Kotaku/Bloomberg guy.

In the end of day don't matter what both of us think, is still a waste of opportunity and resources. Sony could easily ask for another company to do it, while ND could continue to make sequels\new IP Just like remaking Resident Evil 4 since Village was a sucess. The ideia of 'everybody win' is so damn absurd lmao.

I mean, how can you say 'Don't like it? Don't buy' and 'Everybody wins' at the same time? Super contradictory.

Last edited:

EDMIX

is a waste of resource.
I greatly disagree.
make some sort of DLC or the much asked multiplayer.
? Thats already likely happening and this remake would sell circles around some MP mode and DLC, the fuck are you talking about? Soooo how would that be a waste when this fucking game moved record units for Sony? oh but DLC would be better for them to invest in vs a remake? I don't see any evidence to support that sir.
Sony could easily ask for another company to do it
Like Rockstar did right?

Bluepoint is likely busy and ND likely wanted to try new things with the PS5 and this was their chance and they didn't want to outsource it if no solid teams could do it. The best teams like Aspyr and Bluepoint are already busy with projects.

So...ND is already working on the MP, they already have a new IP in development, I don't see why a remake would hurt you like this man. This horse shit that the remaster plays well is completely irrelevant. This is a fucking business, thats like saying the Big Mac already taste good so no need for this, what, McChicken you say? lol Stop mixing your feelings and emotions into this shit by saying crap like "waste of resource" and then "play super well".

Sony is not making a remake cause the remaster played super bad bud, if you think the old game playing well or not has anything to do with the existence of a remake, I don't think you should even be wasting your own resources talking about such a thing if you don't know how any of this works or something lol The moment I hear someone saying how well the past game played in response to a remake happening...I usually start lolz as shit, that simply tells me you don't know anything about why its actually being made, you seem to be under this impression that a remake is based in response to like a bad game or something. The game is literally going to be 10 years old next year.
The ideia of 'everybody win' is so damn absurd lmao.

Nah, I'd say that best sums this up.

You can fucking keep playing the remaster, it plays super well...thus you win.
You can wait for the new IP...you win again.
You can wait for the MP, oh shit...you win at that too.
You can wait for some DLC too.

I see nothing to suggest them working on a remake is a waste of anything anymore then I didn't see them working on a remaster as a waste. Its even more fucking funny that you even said the REMASTER plays super well and then fucking stated a REMAKE would be a waste of resources, but not that remaster huh? ok bud, sure....

Its a waste for them to learn what they can do on PS5, a waste to make more money /s

Maybe you should stick to playing old games vs business man lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Rea

EDMIX

Waste if resources imo. Just make it 4k 60fps and work on NEW games.

1. ND is more then 1 team.
2. They are already working on a new IP.
3. For all you know a simple patch for The Last Of Us 1 remastered on PS4 thru PS5 makes it 4K 60fps as some option.....

annnnnnd you still get a remake.

So I don't see any of that as a waste and no one here has even given a solid, logical response on why it would be a waste on company that already have many teams, on one of the best selling PS game made, on a game almost 10 years old.

So this isn't an either or and no new game is being left behind to work on this remake as I'm sure even the team working on it isn't 100% of either ND team. They'll likely use The Last Of Us 2 engine and use this to see what they can do on PS5. Educating themselves on new hardware while remaking one of the best selling PS titles in history simply doesn't sound like a waste from ND or Sony.

I'd love to hear a real fucking logical response on that one vs classic neck beard gate keeping shit lol

ChiefDada

Gold Member
In the end of day don't matter what both of us think, is still a waste of opportunity and resources.

Lol, actually the opposite is true. ND had just completed TLOU2 with many of the programmers sitting idle with nothing in the pipeline ready to be worked on. The remake not only allowed them to resume productivity, they also gain knowledge on the new hardware which will benefit the development process for future ND PS5 games.

Romulus

1. ND is more then 1 team.
2. They are already working on a new IP.
3. For all you know a simple patch for The Last Of Us 1 remastered on PS4 thru PS5 makes it 4K 60fps as some option.....

annnnnnd you still get a remake.

So I don't see any of that as a waste and no one here has even given a solid, logical response on why it would be a waste on company that already have many teams, on one of the best selling PS game made, on a game almost 10 years old.

So this isn't an either or and no new game is being left behind to work on this remake as I'm sure even the team working on it isn't 100% of either ND team. They'll likely use The Last Of Us 2 engine and use this to see what they can do on PS5. Educating themselves on new hardware while remaking one of the best selling PS titles in history simply doesn't sound like a waste from ND or Sony.

I'd love to hear a real fucking logical response on that one vs classic neck beard gate keeping shit lol

Reworking textures and new assets takes time. Its not like ND is cranking out work. We'll be lucky to see 3 new projects all generation AND the fact that everything gets delayed now. No thanks. I could less about shinier walls and street lamps.

kyliethicc

Reworking textures and new assets takes time. Its not like ND is cranking out work. We'll be lucky to see 3 new projects all generation AND the fact that everything gets delayed now. No thanks. I could less about shinier walls and street lamps.
Good news is most of the work of the remake is being done by the support team that began the project.

Tripolygon

Banned
TLOU remake is necessary and justified. Part 2 is what they intended TLOU 1 to be but couldn't achieve it so it is worth going back to update the gameplay to match where TLOU 2 is. Part 1 was a great game when it was released but it is so dated compared to where ND is in its development capability.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
TLOU remake is necessary and justified. Part 2 is what they intended TLOU 1 to be but couldn't achieve it so it is worth going back to update the gameplay to match where TLOU 2 is. Part 1 was a great game when it was released but it is so dated compared to where ND is in its development capability.

Ah yes. Imagine not having the ability to go prone during the 7th generation! Surely no developer could manage such a complex and thought provoking mechanic!

Oh and enabling a non-buggy and rudimentary AI! No one could do that in the 7th gen either! /s

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Yeah I mean no remake is “necessary” but I get what you mean.

Would be great to have both parts at a similar level of fidelity and gameplay.

Yeah at this point its already too late.
hope you’ll be okay muffin

Last edited:

Fake

Lol, actually the opposite is true. ND had just completed TLOU2 with many of the programmers sitting idle with nothing in the pipeline ready to be worked on. The remake not only allowed them to resume productivity, they also gain knowledge on the new hardware which will benefit the development process for future ND PS5 games.

They can resume their productivity with a DLC of partII (remember? the new game from the series) or a new IP. IDK why people like to run in circle in this matter. Read the Bloomberg report about Bend Studio helping ND with the remake... nothing what you say make sense with the information.

The only thing they gonna to get are the tag of milking the same franchises over and over again.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

They can resume their productivity with a DLC of partII (remember? the new game from the series) or a new IP. IDK why people like to run in circle in this matter. Read the Bloomberg report about Bend Studio helping ND with the remake... nothing what you say make sense with the information.

The only thing they gonna to get are the tag of milking the same franchises over and over again.
The article said Bend were helping with the multiplayer game.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
All of this just to retcon the model of the surgeon to make their shitty Abby revenge story more believable.
That's exactly why yes. Pig Abby was a new idea for the sequel and her story didn't fit at all with what happened in the first so they had to find a way to make Joel the "vilain" and the fireflies "the good guys".

All her flashbacks with her daddy were cringe and then she got fucked in the ass too 🤮

So much contradiction in a single post. Nice work.

'Don't like it? Don't buy or play' was not the main fuel of console warriors, but the most common console warrior excuse since the beginning of PS360 era.

And yes, is a waste of resource. Since people here have a short memory, The Last of Us was a new IP when people (mostly Sony fans) complain over ND keep milking the Uncharted series, and surprise surprise, their new IP was a sucess.

The remaster play super well, runs like a dream and if they are so much confidence about the sequel, let them make some sort of DLC or the much asked multiplayer.

There is no 'everybody wins' dude lmao. ND is one of the best studio around and they're doing 'remakes' like others third party studio for cheap money. AND, lets not forget that Bend Studio are helping with the project since people here believe in the Kotaku/Bloomberg guy.

In the end of day don't matter what both of us think, is still a waste of opportunity and resources. Sony could easily ask for another company to do it, while ND could continue to make sequels\new IP Just like remaking Resident Evil 4 since Village was a sucess. The ideia of 'everybody win' is so damn absurd lmao.

I mean, how can you say 'Don't like it? Don't buy' and 'Everybody wins' at the same time? Super contradictory.
What a waste of time and money.
Waste if resources imo. Just make it 4k 60fps and work on NEW games.
It kinda became apparent the gaming community had somewhat legit screwed itself beyond the point of return when Sony went ahead and announced the new PS plus-something and highlighted a dedicated "remasters"/"remakes" section.

They're probably going to churn out more "revisions" at a higher ratio in contrast to new content.

Fake

It kinda became apparent the gaming community had somewhat legit screwed itself beyond the point of return when Sony went ahead and announced the new PS plus-something and highlighted a dedicated "remasters"/"remakes" section.

They're probably going to churn out more "revisions" at a higher ratio in contrast to new content.

Unfortunately this became a 'thing' where everything is viewed by some positivity and people time to time act like two-face.

I never was against 'remasters' because those things leave the game intact most of the time. The problem with remakes in general are they tend to changes things here and there, as the director say, 'I took some liberty of make feel changes'.

Just look at neoGAF for example. The same users asking 'why' Capcom is remaking Resident Evil 4 are somehow praising ND over The Last of Us Remake, since both games get praise because the gameplay from both TLOUS and RE4 holds superb well by the modern days.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Will they retcon it such that Joel and Tommy become total betas. I bet Tess will be beefed so she can put Joel in his place!

EDMIX

Thats a you thing, has nothing to fucking do with resources sir.

Thats like me saying Call Of Duty is a "waste of resources" simply cause I could care less about the series...well...I'm also no 20 plus million people or something, its irrelevant. Whats next? Fortnite development is a waste too cause you don't like it? So...this is just emotional gatekeeping, no one here has even made a sound logical reason on why this shouldn't happen or would be a waste etc.

If this remake is happening I'm excited for it, TLOU is one of those games I've already played through multiple times and will do again, it's like a favorite old movie to me. The remaster looks awful compared to modern games so seeing it be at least on par with TLOU2 graphically will be great, it's like a definitive edition of one of the best story based games ever made. Nobody is forced to buy it, it's likely not taking too many resources away from other projects because it's a remake and not a totally new game that takes a bunch of time for pre production and story development etc.

Romulus

Thats a you thing, has nothing to fucking do with resources sir.

Thats like me saying Call Of Duty is a "waste of resources" simply cause I could care less about the series...well...I'm also no 20 plus million people or something, its irrelevant. Whats next? Fortnite development is a waste too cause you don't like it? So...this is just emotional gatekeeping, no one here has even made a sound logical reason on why this shouldn't happen or would be a waste etc.

It absolutely is a me thing, but youre investing like 50x more energy in that reply. You seem outright bothered by my opinion when thats all it is, an opinion. I never suggested it won't make money or even be a mega success.
So your COD and Fornite point makes no sense at all. And I love TLoU so idk what youre saying. Youre not making a sound case why investing those same resources in another TLOU wouldn't be more beneficial. You simply can't because theres no way to know. Its your/my opinion, thats it. Youre using an unknowable metric as a leverage tactic. Theres no 'sound' reason because we don't have a crystal ball or know exactly how much the workload is.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
TLOU Remake is day one for me.

I didn't like the story/characters in TLOUP2 but loved the first game to where it was my 360/PS3 game of the generation so to get the visuals, audio and combat/gameplay of TLOUP2 but retain the story/characters of the original, hell yeah!!! Looking forward to the game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

A Joel PS5 only DLC or short 8 hour lose legacy style 8 hour standalone would’ve been perfect. They did it in 1 year before. They could’ve done it again.

But nope. Its taken 2+ years to do a remake lol

kyliethicc

A Joel PS5 only DLC or short 8 hour lose legacy style 8 hour standalone would’ve been perfect. They did it in 1 year before. They could’ve done it again.

But nope. Its taken 2+ years to do a remake lol
Well that’s because it wasn’t a Naughty Dog project, it was Mumbauer’s project. Then he left Sony.

The post-TLOU2 equivalent of Lost Legacy from ND is their upcoming multiplayer game.

Has far more potential than just some story DLC, but we gotta wait and see how it goes.

It hasn’t even been 2 years yet either.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Waste if resources
^ So sir, this isn't a "me thing" when you are talking about fucking resources and saying its a "waste"
It absolutely is a me thing

I never suggested it won't make money
You stated its a "waste IF resources", thats not an argument for something making more money bud.
Youre not making a sound case why investing those same resources in another TLOU wouldn't be more beneficial
Because its not an either or, thats an argument you fucking made up despite us factually knowing that ND is multiple teams.

1. ND is made up of 2 teams and a new IP is already being worked on.
2.Even if we state the engine of The Last Of Us 3 is being made RIGHT NOW, by a their half that actually makes that shit, the portion on their team that makes the other half of the game won't even have work UNTIL THE FUCKING ENGINE IS DONE, which means you are asking for them to do what? Program for a engine thats not done? =) Maybe you should think about this shit longer man.

Soooooo the year and a half that they are working on The Last Of Us 1 remake, gives the other half of the team time to finish that Engine, allows them to already have knowledge of the PS5 hardware annnnd they get to have work in the meantime.

Sony makes money from the remake, puts in to other games, the half of the team gets more work and more educated on how PS5 works, starts on The Last Of Us 3 now that it has a finished engine and you fucking get to get The Last Of Us 1 remake or stay with the remaster.

So...you made this some fake ass either or, its not. They can do all of the above and have already done that before with remasters, you are not getting The Last Of Us 2 early simply cause The Last Of Us 1 remaster doesn't come out on PS4 bud, the fucking engine is still not going to be done and all you are getting is less, the team doesn't get extra work, fans get no remaster, Sony makes less money.

Maybe think about this shit longer instead of this weird fanfiction gatekeeping
we don't have a crystal ball or know exactly how much the workload is.
We know from past remakes that its not the same as a ground up title.
We know The Last Of Us 2 engine already exist to build from to suggest its workload is not that of a 3rd fucking game or something.
We know ND is more then 1 team.

So this horseshit of putting the "same resources" in The Last Of Us 3, is as silly as expecting The Last Of Us 3 to be made in less then 2 years and running off the same engine as The Last Of Us 2.

I'm pretty fucking positive that Bluepoint games um, same resources put in Demon Souls remake, is not fucking Elden Ring sir. I'm 99% sure those didn't cost the same, have the same development time and are equivalent or some shit lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom