• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiversus is a Warner Bros. riff on Smash Bros., and it may go free-to-play

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
SSEYIrf.png

ELMYRA vs SCRAPPY
A fight for the ages!

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Lord of the Rings is a true work of art. It was Tolkien's life work. His magnum opus. It drew from his experiences in fighting in world war 1, as well being inspired by his passion of Germanic mythology and even his relationship with his wife.

To have this deeply, personal work of art mixed in with Tom and Jerry and Scooby Doo is just disrespectful to his life work, regardless if he's dead or if his work was just fiction.

It would be like throwing characters from A Christmas Carol into Fortnite with fucking Tiny Tim and Jacob Marley skins and back bling. Bizarre and insulting.
Nah.

Just because you're a snob about a piece of fiction doesn't mean other people shouldn't enjoy other works derived from it. Enjoy the parts you like, let other people enjoy they parts they like, and everyone can be happy. If it makes you unhappy that other people are enjoying something that you don't have an interest in, that's something you need to work on.

Last edited:

Rest

Tolkien wouldn't have enjoyed the LOTR trilogy of films,
How do you know? Did you and he have an in depth discussion about his taste in movies?
Oh, he's dead, that's right. And you're just talking out your ass.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Nah.

Just because you're a snob about a piece of fiction doesn't mean other people shouldn't enjoy other works derived from it. Enjoy the parts you like, let other people enjoy they parts they like, and everyone can be happy. If it makes you unhappy that other people are enjoying something that you don't have an interest in, that's something you need to work on.

How do you know? Did you and he have an in depth discussion about his taste in movies?
Oh, he's dead, that's right. And you're just talking out your ass.

There's no need to be upset. I'm sure we can have a debate without being rude and insulting. Agreed?

Guess you didn't read my previous posts, so allow me to start again.

First, I never said that people couldn't enjoy this game.

Tolkien put his heart and soul into this book (and his whole middle earth mythology). It's a personal book inspired by his horrifying experience in the first world war, his Catholic faith, his passion for Germanic mythology and even his relationship with this beloved wife, Edith. To use somebody's art this way, even knowing if they were alive that they wouldn't approve, shows a lack of respect for the art and the artist.

Tolkien eventually agreed for a film adaptation for Lord of the Rings, but it was never his intention for the filmmakers to do as they please and disrespect his film.

Tolkien was sent a screenplay adaption of Lord of the Rings. In his letter, he was enraged by even the minor changes to the source material. Here are a few snippets of letter 210.

"Why has my account been entirely rewritten here? A scene of gloom lit by a small fire, with the wraiths slowly approaching as darker shadows-until the moment Frodo puts the ring on, and the king steps forward revealed-would seem to me far more impressive than yet one more scene of screams and rather meaningless slashings"

"Strider does not whip out a sword in the book, his sword was broken. Why then make him do so here, in a contest that was explicitly NOT fought with weapons?"

"The Black riders do not scream, but keep a more terrifying silence."

"He has cut parts of the story upon which its characteristics and peculiar tone principally depends, showing a preference for fights; and he has made no serious attempt to represent the heart of the tale adequately: the journey of the ringbearers."

"The canons of narrative art in any medium cannot be wholly different; and the failure of poor films is often precisely in exaggeration and the intrusion of unwanted matter owing to not perceiving where the core of the original lies"

That's just a small portion of quotes taken from one letter. What I find most interesting is how you could read these quotes and almost believe he was talking about Peter Jackson's film trilogy. Although Tolkien is dead, we have enough evidence from his letters and quotes from his son that give us a strong indication he wouldn't have approved of his works being treated with so little respect.

And that's a film adaptation from the source. What makes you think he'd be happy with how WB pissed on his works with the Shadow of War/Mordor games, or by throwing his characters into a Smash Bros rip off?

People can enjoy the games as much as they want and I even loved the gameplay in Shadow of Mordor/War. However, I'm free to give an opinion that it's insulating to Tolkien's legacy and his art by treating his life's work with such disrespect.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Yes, yes we know that LotR being included is a mockery to Tolkein's name but have you seen Lego Dimension's? This isn't the first time and its not the last. Get ready for Amazon's LOTR show.

Rest

There's no need to be upset. I'm sure we can have a debate without being rude and insulting. Agreed?

Guess you didn't read my previous posts, so allow me to start again.

First, I never said that people couldn't enjoy this game.

Tolkien put his heart and soul into this book (and his whole middle earth mythology). It's a personal book inspired by his horrifying experience in the first world war, his Catholic faith, his passion for Germanic mythology and even his relationship with this beloved wife, Edith. To use somebody's art this way, even knowing if they were alive that they wouldn't approve, shows a lack of respect for the art and the artist.

Tolkien eventually agreed for a film adaptation for Lord of the Rings, but it was never his intention for the filmmakers to do as they please and disrespect his film.

Tolkien was sent a screenplay adaption of Lord of the Rings. In his letter, he was enraged by even the minor changes to the source material. Here are a few snippets of letter 210.

"Why has my account been entirely rewritten here? A scene of gloom lit by a small fire, with the wraiths slowly approaching as darker shadows-until the moment Frodo puts the ring on, and the king steps forward revealed-would seem to me far more impressive than yet one more scene of screams and rather meaningless slashings"

"Strider does not whip out a sword in the book, his sword was broken. Why then make him do so here, in a contest that was explicitly NOT fought with weapons?"

"The Black riders do not scream, but keep a more terrifying silence."

"He has cut parts of the story upon which its characteristics and peculiar tone principally depends, showing a preference for fights; and he has made no serious attempt to represent the heart of the tale adequately: the journey of the ringbearers."

"The canons of narrative art in any medium cannot be wholly different; and the failure of poor films is often precisely in exaggeration and the intrusion of unwanted matter owing to not perceiving where the core of the original lies"

That's just a small portion of quotes taken from one letter. What I find most interesting is how you could read these quotes and almost believe he was talking about Peter Jackson's film trilogy. Although Tolkien is dead, we have enough evidence from his letters and quotes from his son that give us a strong indication he wouldn't have approved of his works being treated with so little respect.

And that's a film adaptation from the source. What makes you think he'd be happy with how WB pissed on his works with the Shadow of War/Mordor games, or by throwing his characters into a Smash Bros rip off?

People can enjoy the games as much as they want and I even loved the gameplay in Shadow of Mordor/War. However, I'm free to give an opinion that it's insulating to Tolkien's legacy and his art by treating his life's work with such disrespect.
Hey dude, don't have a heart attack when you look at this.

chigstoke

Looks like Warner Bros have started the teasing, TGA Announcement incoming?

Just needs a playable Sub-Zero so we can do the fatality where we can freeze Daffy Duck and rip out his spine or some daft shit

I thought they were both pretty awesome. I can still go back to those games and have fun. Not sure why it's even really that bad in terms of lore. It's obviously just a spin-off.
I agree both games were extremely fun. I spent hundreds of hours replaying both. The Gollum game looks like crap though. Very disappointing because I was waiting on Shadow of War 3.

As for the other guys pulling a hissy fit because millions of other gamers enjoyed Talion's story, Jesus, Get a life.

Last edited:
Top Bottom