• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MultiVersus is being played more than every other fighting game on PC combined and it's not even out of Early Access yet

Reizo Ryuu

You're the one who got majorly triggered at people playing this game for some reason.
Where? I said not to compare numbers for a paid product vs a free product, I guess I live in the twilight zone where that's not a weird thing to say.
I could say people are getting triggered for mentioning this game is free.
what's your deal bruh
Don't quote me if you have nothing to contribute, bruh.

Fuz

Banned

They probably won't be happy at this.
2Rce3.gif

pcmr2.gif

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
open beta tomorrow right? excited to try it

i mainly play smash for 1v1 no items, FD, is this good for that type of gameplay?

this gonna appear as free tomororw on psn, MS store, etc?

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Why are ppl saying it's free? It ain't free on Steam or PSN. Did it used to be free?
Tomorrow it's officially available to everyone for free by just getting it from their platform's store.

However, if you had access to a previous test, were invited by another test owner, or you got it from a Twitch drop, you have free "early" access.

Last edited:
Wow, you're a lazy lazy ass. It took me 3 minutes to read the entire thread and see that its free on STEAM. Grow up.
relax, you're taking this shit way too serious. Grow up :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I got so excited I stopped reading and just went straight to STEAM.

Last edited:
TBH this is the business model that makes the most sense for fighters moving forward. Base game is free and you can pay for all the fighters with a rotating free character or just grind them out and get cosmetic items and stages too.

Street Fighter V had to have it both ways $60 price tag with a small roster and DLC and initially flopped but it’s gotten way better. Marvel vs Capcom Infinite wasn’t as lucky.

F2P versions with the promise of shit tons of characters and cosmetics is clearly working here hopefully more fighters will adopt this model.
Imagine ArcSys using this opportunity to mend all their IPs and the collabs they made to have their own fighting verse. I'd be there day-0.

I've been saying that Fighting Games should have gone F2P a while back. Look at how Brawlhalla swims in cash that other games in the same genre can only dream of getting. The old model of $60 base game + Season Pass doesn't actually work and becomes the first entry barrier for a genre that already is known for not being the most appealing, inviting, or casual-friendly.

Does Early Access mean anything, really? Technically, Grounded is in early access and that game feels like it's been officially out forever.

MrMephistoX

Since the success of LoL and now Fortnite, I'm surprised whenever I see a premium fighting game release. The freemium model with cosmetics has proven to be successful and the fighting genre can easily adopt that.
Yeah don’t get me wrong I loved Killer Instinct and DOA but it really needs to be a Street Fighter or MK to really make freemium fighters take off.

MiguelItUp

is the game actually good? or is the draw only the new character hype faucet?
If you like Smash, you may like it, you may not. All I can recommend is that you check it out for yourself tomorrow when it's free and available to everyone.

I think it's solid and well made, there's some weird things about movement and connects, but it hasn't stopping me playing it periodically.

CamHostage

Well, duh. It's a free game utilizing a bunch of super popular IPs with the kind of marketing budget you'd expect from that sort of thing.

Eh, I don't know if I'd say it's "super-popular IPs"? Batman is big, but him being a character in another fighter doesn't make it a blockbuster. After that you have GoT characters and Harley and I guess Shaggy is trendy weirdly? The Adventure Time and Steven Universe characters are big with gamers in a perfect demo but neither has sold a game by themselves to a great degree. And then you get into Tom and Jerry, or Bugs Bunny, or Wonder Woman, or other characters from the 1940s...

I think it's partly the meme culture and then it's the aggressive Twitch promotion of this (WB apparently went after streamers, knowing that both sides love giveaways) to hook players with a clever version of the F2P model where initial joiners have the idea that they're still getting something of exclusive value even though it'll ultimately be free. Plus the character unlock system keeps players persistent longer, hooking them to play an extended amount to get all the initial stuff.

On paper, MultiVersus looks like it's got little chance of standing out as more than just another forgettable Smash Clone for kids, but there's something to the rollout that is working.

1652397769_302045_1652397809_noticia_normal.jpg

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I read (and remember seeing a thread posted here last week) that you cannot unlock everything by grinding. Can you unlock the characters but just not their costumes? Don't really care about the costume stuff, just wondering if the characters/modes are all available or can be obtained by griding.

ManaByte

I read (and remember seeing a thread posted here last week) that you cannot unlock everything by grinding. Can you unlock the characters but just not their costumes? Don't really care about the costume stuff, just wondering if the characters/modes are all available or can be obtained by griding.

You can unlock all characters and skills just by playing. Only thing that costs real money is cosmetic stuff. Extra costumes, ring out effects, announcer voices, etc.

MAtgS

Sony really missed the damn boat with not doing a PSASBR sequel. SSBU becoming the single best selling fighting game, Brawlhalla and Multiversus being big hits, and even Nick Brawl craved out a hole for itself. Characters missing from the 1st game like Crash and Cloud became relevant again and Sony did nothing.

Last edited:

Fbh

Sony really missed the damn boat with not doing a PSASBR sequel. SSBU becoming the single best selling fighting game, Brawlhalla and Multiversus being big hits, and even Nick Brawl craved out a hole for itself. Characters missing from the 1st game like Crash and Cloud became relevant again and Sony did nothing.

They missed the boat by half assing the first game.
To an extent I guess I can't blame them for not having some of the more iconic characters (Crash, Spyro, etc) since they don't own them. But things like the ugly visuals, lack of content and game modes, laughably cheap looking menus and the only kill with supers design that no one liked are 100% on them

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Only beating DB FighterZ peak by 20k while being f2p is pretty sad. Good attempt on dat paid marketing spin though. It better beat that by like 100x when it launches otherwise it will be dropped like a rock by the publisher, they're probably hoping for Fortnite numbers with all the included IP :messenger_dizzy:

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It’s new, is loaded with familiar characters, and it’s free.

Of course it’s going to beat up on older fighting games and ones nobody else cares about like King of Fighters and Guilty Gear.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

That's more for text I believe. With it off if someone has a dipshit name it'll ****** out the text.
No, it isn't, with it on harley will say holy shitburgers, she doesn't if it's off. She also says badass but I'm not sure if thats toggle exclusive.

Whatever your thoughts are on whether or not this game is free, they are wrong. If you think it's free, you are wrong, because you can't just download it. You have to watch twitch for an hour, and only then is it free. That's not free. If you think that it isn't free, you are wrong, because all you have to do is watch a twitch streamer for an hour and then you can download it for free. If you agree with every word in this post, you are still wrong. Everyone is wrong except me, but I am wrong as well. I can't explain why.

Either way, I'm looking forward to playing this not free free game when I can download it for free tomorrow.

Samrf89

Where? I said not to compare numbers for a paid product vs a free product, I guess I live in the twilight zone where that's not a weird thing to say.
I could say people are getting triggered for mentioning this game is free.

Don't quote me if you have nothing to contribute, bruh.
are you contributing though?

MaKTaiL

Game is awesome.

It's probably going to have longer legs than Smash because it's available on everything and is free.

Even at launch it's better than the Nick fighter. They have the right character voices, and they're character aware. So when Shaggy is teamed with Superman he knows he's fighting with Superman and comments on that.
Exactly. You can really see the love that went into making this game and the devs have been pretty straight forward with content plans and the future of the game itself. I'm loving it so far and I really never like Smash before this.

PhaseJump

Banned
I think those numbers just show how unpopular fighting games are on PC, TBH.

It is ironic, considering arcade hardware is PC based. The genre was never popular on it, and new games weren't ported to PC until more recently in years, similar to JRPGs.

A lot of Japanese developers ignored PC. Sega was good for it back during their console days but they killed their 2D franchises, all 3D franchises aside from VF, and shelved VF anyway to the point that the fan base just assumes Sega hates money. Even now, VF5US is locked to PS4 and is a nothing burger of an update.

The games out of Netherrealm and Dead or Alive series have been butchered downgraded last-gen PS3 instead of PS4 versions upon release in the past. The only good thing to happen recently IMO is SNK putting rollback net code into their games.

Yeah. The sky's the limit, but it is a cartoon styled game. I wouldn't count on gory WB franchises like Nightmare on Elm Street
The game of thrones character in the game already suggests otherwise. There's also a profanity menu option. Aside from that, promoting characters found in R rated movies to children through toys and other media has a long history.

For another example, the rapist murders from A Clockwork Orange could be seen in the recent space jam movie. I wouldn't expect the characters to be doing anything R rated, but my guess is we'll continue to see more fighters from some very child inappropriate movies and TV shows.

Top Bottom