• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiversus |OT| Velma v Batman: Dawn Of Adventure Time In Westeros

Anyone else just saving their gold for now? Between the character rotation, the fact that unlocks and level progress doesn't go away, and knowing they're probably not going to be adding the newest fighters to the rotation right away, I'm just saving up. It's nice that you can test any character in the lab, but it doesn't quite compare to being able to try them during a free rotation.

timmyp53

Seems to be picking up some good steam from fans and media. Anybody been playing for awhile have any impressions? Favorite characters/maps?

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Anyone else just saving their gold for now? Between the character rotation, the fact that unlocks and level progress doesn't go away, and knowing they're probably not going to be adding the newest fighters to the rotation right away, I'm just saving up. It's nice that you can test any character in the lab, but it doesn't quite compare to being able to try them during a free rotation.
Yeah I pretty much only use diana and velma so I have no interest in using gold on random characters; I'll see if rick and morty are worth it, otherwise I'll probably save until some of the leaked/rumoured characters get confirmed.

CS Lurker

I have 10.4k. Played as shaggy when it was unlocked, then moved to Finn. Didn't buy any char yet. But maybe I'll be buying Finn when it's locked. Really liked his moveset. And I still want to buy shaggy too... but it's slow to earn gold, so I'm really holding on purchases.

A bit of advice, as you try earn in-game currency to unlock new characters:

Toast is toasty. In multiversus, toast is worth its weight in gold, as long as its weight is 10. I say that because not a lot of people seem to understand how toast works just yet.

How it works: If you've toasted a player, and they toast you back, you each get 20 gold. If you toast without having your gesture returned, you don't get anything. So it's best to save toast for when playing with friends. If you don't have any toast, or you just have a low amount of toast, you'll be given 5 toasts each day you login. Apparently this only happens if you don't have 10 or more toasts. So if you have five you'll get five more, but if you have seven you'll only get three more.

If all that is accurate, it's likely best to always try to have no more than five toasts on hand at the daily reset. If you're using your toast effectively, that's an extra 100 gold per day for playing five matches with friends.

Last edited:
Season 1 delayed. The battle pass has been extended, and a new start date has not been announced.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
any way to turn off items off?

Also, any way to have a lobby with only 3 people? Had 2 buddies yesterday and it forced us to add a CPU to play

We wanted to do 1v1, yeah its 3 of us, but in smash we would KO, and have one of us watch a 1v1, and then the winner goes against the person in standby and so on and so forth, that is how we best learn to play games. 4 players was too much chaos, and sometimes there was items, some maps were chaotic.

Also at the end the stage shrinks down? One of us could be winning, but simply jumping gets you killed off stage.

Is it possible to replicate what I do in smash? - 1 lobby with 3 players only, 3 stocks (no time), no items, no hazards, have a consistent plain stage like final destination, and where the stage doesnt shrink down later

Last edited:
What's the consensus on the game's quality from the fighting game community?

I've played smash bros since the N64, and this game feels just as janky as all of the other ones, gameplay wise. It's like the characters have no weight. The physics are off.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
sucks lol are 1v1 only about time, there arent real stocks in this game?
no you can select ringouts (stocks) in 1v1, but it's a preset amount, not customisable like in smash; free for all only has time/score as an option.
There's no 3 player option.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
no you can select ringouts (stocks) in 1v1, but it's a preset amount, not customisable like in smash; free for all only has time/score as an option.
We picked ring out to 4, in free for all, 4 players with a cpu, but it wasnt 4 stocks, it kept going for the whole 5 minutes, dont get it. Like I would die more than 4 times and keep coming back, what does ring out mean then

edit: just saw what you mean, free for all is time/score

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Gold Member

I've played smash bros since the N64, and this game feels just as janky as all of the other ones, gameplay wise. It's like the characters have no weight. The physics are off.
i felt the same, feels like no weight, for some reason the moves I want to make dont always seem to transalte on screen, and its hard to tell when a move will be a 'kill move', or just push them back a bit

back to the weight, doesnt feel satisfying to get a ringout of someone

Razvedka

Banned
jump-ultimate-stars.gif
main-qimg-95406b42f1f5a4a60575a807832a5682
tumblr_p6jqabVv6C1r6c90zo5_r1_250sq.gif

D8TTC.gif
What game is this?

Fbh

Played a bit of this yesterday.
It's pretty fun for what it is and I had fun teaming up with friends. Though more than anything it makes me wish the online multiplayer in smash wasn't absolutely trash.

any way to turn off items off?

Also, any way to have a lobby with only 3 people? Had 2 buddies yesterday and it forced us to add a CPU to play

We wanted to do 1v1, yeah its 3 of us, but in smash we would KO, and have one of us watch a 1v1, and then the winner goes against the person in standby and so on and so forth, that is how we best learn to play games. 4 players was too much chaos, and sometimes there was items, some maps were chaotic.

Also at the end the stage shrinks down? One of us could be winning, but simply jumping gets you killed off stage.

Is it possible to replicate what I do in smash? - 1 lobby with 3 players only, 3 stocks (no time), no items, no hazards, have a consistent plain stage like final destination, and where the stage doesnt shrink down later

This isn't quite accurate. You can play three players using the custom game mode option, adjust the time and score limits, and also adjust the map hazards or items. Not sure if you can adjust both. To do any of this, you have to select custom game from the main menu. If you are looking through the regular multiplayer options, you won't see it.

Unfortunately custom games also won't allow you to progress any challenges or earn any gold, so keep that in mind.

There's a 100,000 dollar prize pool in Evo, which is the largest prize pool in the events history. All this for a beta. If that sort of thing keeps up, I'd expect players to learn to take the game seriously no matter what.

The developers are working on a fix for some hitbox issues, and working on another balance patch, so it's a bit early to judge the game too much.

i felt the same, feels like no weight, for some reason the moves I want to make dont always seem to transalte on screen, and its hard to tell when a move will be a 'kill move', or just push them back a bit

back to the weight, doesnt feel satisfying to get a ringout of someone

Try "the lab" practice mode. Each character generally only has two or three "kill moves," as part of the game design. That's why fighters are considered horizontal, vertical, or hybrid.

Characters can also have very different weight for balance. Lighter characters typically can do a lot more damage, but can also get knocked out of the arena at lower damage levels than most of the tank or bruiser class characters.

Hate the mobile game/fortnite plastic looking, ultra clean and low detail art style.
What game with a cartoon art style is a better example of how you'd want this game to look? I just get the feeling lately that any game with a cartoon art style instantly gets compared to Fortnite these days, mocked, and then dismissed. But perhaps that's not the case here, so how do you think the game should look instead?

nkarafo

What game with a cartoon art style is a better example of how you'd want this game to look? I just get the feeling lately that any game with a cartoon art style instantly gets compared to Fortnite these days, mocked, and then dismissed.
Yes because so many games share the same plastic+shiny look along with flat textures and empty, boring art direction. There is no other material other than plastic. Even things like hair or fabrics look like the same material everything else is using. Also, many mobile games (and this one for some reason) seem to use completely static lighting. Just look at the shadows (or complete lack of). It even uses blob shadows, like it's a pre-00's 3D game.

Games like Mario Kart 8 or Garden Warfare 2 do modern cartoony graphics right. They are colorful but also use more than a single material, have proper lighting and a lot more environmental details. Mario Kart 8 (and many Nintendo games) also have great art direction in general.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
This isn't quite accurate. You can play three players using the custom game mode option, adjust the time and score limits, and also adjust the map hazards or items. Not sure if you can adjust both. To do any of this, you have to select custom game from the main menu. If you are looking through the regular multiplayer options, you won't see it.

Unfortunately custom games also won't allow you to progress any challenges or earn any gold, so keep that in mind.

There's a 100,000 dollar prize pool in Evo, which is the largest prize pool in the events history. All this for a beta. If that sort of thing keeps up, I'd expect players to learn to take the game seriously no matter what.

The developers are working on a fix for some hitbox issues, and working on another balance patch, so it's a bit early to judge the game too much.

Try "the lab" practice mode. Each character generally only has two or three "kill moves," as part of the game design. That's why fighters are considered horizontal, vertical, or hybrid.

Characters can also have very different weight for balance. Lighter characters typically can do a lot more damage, but can also get knocked out of the arena at lower damage levels than most of the tank or bruiser class characters.
i will check tonight with custom game modes, thanks!

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
i will check tonight with custom game modes, thanks!
I have no idea how to do what he's suggesting, if he means custom game as in local play, then no it's still impossible to play with only 3 players, even more so because there's no bots in local play, also you can't invite players in local play obviously (unless you're on pc).
In custom lobbies, there's also no way to start the game if there's not enough players, but you can add bots, so yes, the game will force you to add a bot as a fourth.

Last edited:
I have no idea how to do what he's suggesting, if he means custom game as in local play, then no it's still impossible to play with only 3 players, even more so because there's no bots in local play, also you can't invite players in local play obviously (unless you're on pc).
In custom lobbies, there's also no way to start the game if there's not enough players, but you can add bots, so yes, the game will force you to add a bot as a fourth.
Even in free for all? If that's true, my mistake. That's a big oversight, and I hope they change it. I just tested it with me and two bots, and yeah, it won't let me start the game. That really is dumb. Aside from that, they need to add six player modes.

Bridges

Yes because so many games share the same plastic+shiny look along with flat textures and empty, boring art direction. There is no other material other than plastic. Even things like hair or fabrics look like the same material everything else is using. Also, many mobile games (and this one for some reason) seem to use completely static lighting. Just look at the shadows (or complete lack of). It even uses blob shadows, like it's a pre-00's 3D game.

Games like Mario Kart 8 or Garden Warfare 2 do modern cartoony graphics right. They are colorful but also use more than a single material, have proper lighting and a lot more environmental details. Mario Kart 8 (and many Nintendo games) also have great art direction in general.
I have to agree with this.
I'm surprised how much I like this game I've been playing it non-stop and having a blast, but the art style does not do it for me, looks so generic. Garden Warfare and Nintendo are perfect examples, Smash Bros. specifically is super cartoony but looks way better than MultiVersus despite being on worse hardware.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
LegendOfKage LegendOfKage ?

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Even in free for all? If that's true, my mistake. That's a big oversight, and I hope they change it. I just tested it with me and two bots, and yeah, it won't let me start the game. That really is dumb. Aside from that, they need to add six player modes.
okay, nvm, you confirmed. Yeah, we found VERY dumb we couldnt start a game with only 3 of us friends, why do we do need a CPU? Very silly, Wish there was a way we could do 1v1s with 3 people with 3rd person spectating

okay, nvm, you confirmed. Yeah, we found VERY dumb we couldnt start a game with only 3 of us friends, why do we do need a CPU? Very silly, Wish there was a way we could do 1v1s with 3 people with 3rd person spectating
That would be great. If they never add more than 4 players due to networking code or whatever, I'd love to see lobbies added to the game. 4 fighting with up to 4 more watching the fight and waiting their turn would be great. With this being a games as a service type deal, the good news is developers will be encouraged to add big updates like that.

Daily quests are such a stupid idea.
But they're great for player retention, which is great for monetization. And the good news in that equation is more money means more support and more free content.

Fuz

Banned
But they're great for player retention, which is great for monetization. And the good news in that equation is more money means more support and more free content.
Yeah, great.
Win two games as a mage class. No mage class in rotation.
AND those things transform a game into a job.

Bridges

I'm curious if there is a consensus here on who the "top tier" is in the current build?

Finn is busted, and this is made more frustrating since he's free right now
The top players right now seem to all be using Bugs
Superman seems very good with no clear downsides
Tom and Jerry seem to also be very good but I don't see them used very often
I play Arya and do pretty well but I don't see too many of her out in the wild

Yeah, great.
Win two games as a mage class. No mage class in rotation.
AND those things transform a game into a job.

I said the good news in that equation, but yeah, there's some negatives to go with it. And I know all about daily missions turning a game into a job. I made this forum's Genshin Impact thread, and played the game for about a year. If you're the type who enjoys grinding in an RPG, the daily missions can be fun, at least for a while.

At least most of the battle pass here seems to be full of cosmetics.

On another note, for those wondering about high-level play in Multiversus, this was a great match from the first day of Evo:

Reactions: Fuz

Spyxos

Gold Member
My Superman is now lvl 10 and i can train some skills, but they are all 150 Gold each. Any must haves, or i can just ignore them?

It was a reload, in this specific case.
But I didn't want to talk specifically, but about how those quests in general are a stupid idea.

Funny story / warning about that. I normally use my one free quest re-roll if a quest will be difficult or impossible. The other day my very first of six quests was the mage quest. I thought no matter what, that's the one quest I can't do, so rather than wait and see what the other quests are, I'll just re-roll it now. I did so, and finished the alternate quest. Seeing as you can only see 3 quests at a time, doing so showed me what quest number four would involve. You guessed it, the very next quest was the mage quest again. So yeah, don't re-roll your quests until they're one of the last three.

My Superman is now lvl 10 and i can train some skills, but they are all 150 Gold each. Any must haves, or i can just ignore them?

I think you can safely ignore them for now, but at least they're fairly cheap. You should note that they're only 100 gold, if you've unlocked that same perk on a different character through the standard leveling process. If you stay on top of the character rotation and keep leveling everyone, in a couple months or so you should be able to just buy whatever you want at a discount.

Going back to this again, it seems to be getting a good following:

Announced at Evo: It sounds like season 1 will have at least 3 new characters, and we'll be getting a classic arcade mode that can also be played with a friend.

Last edited:

EekTheKat

If that
Robin
costume for LeBron is legit then that is one of the greatest troll jabs at Lebron I've ever seen.

Bravo to the devs if this somehow got past LeBron.

MAtgS

It has just dawned on me that with this Discovery merger, the Mythbusters are open game. Jamie Hyneman is now my #1 most wanted.

If that
Robin
costume for LeBron is legit then that is one of the greatest troll jabs at Lebron I've ever seen.

Bravo to the devs if this somehow got past LeBron.

It's from an image that debuted live during Evo in an announcement by the game director. It doesn't get too much more legit than that. For those who don't follow sports or understand the context, would you care to explain how it's a troll jab?

EekTheKat

Regarding LeBron and Robin.

it implies LeBron is a sidekick, which could be viewed as a jab against a guy who is often compared to the legit "Batman" of the NBA

Various sports journalists and pundits use Robin as a way to describe a player that's not the alpha of their team.

Last edited:

Majukun

like the game for what i played, by hated the netcode.
I know rollback is the new fashion, but it doesn't seem to work that great in a game with much more moving options that your standard fighting game...being hit by invisible projectiles or surprised by teleporting enemies is not great fun.

KXVXII9X

What game with a cartoon art style is a better example of how you'd want this game to look? I just get the feeling lately that any game with a cartoon art style instantly gets compared to Fortnite these days, mocked, and then dismissed. But perhaps that's not the case here, so how do you think the game should look instead?
Ironically, I think Fortnite has some of the best cartoon art style by far. It is clean, but not overly simple with some textures and good lighting that keeps the characters from looking flat and bland. I would say Nintendo has the cartoon style the best, but Fortnite is very good at it.

Games like Multiversus seem a bit "cheaper". I think the game's presentation is great with the budget and team size they have, but more fluid animations, better lighting, a bit more detail and texture would have kept it from feeling a little plastic. Also, the proportions are a bit TOO exaggerated with some of the human characters. Superman and Wonder Women look like dolls. Lebron James looks better, imo.

Fuz

Banned
Ironically, I think Fortnite has some of the best cartoon art style by far.
This is true, but the problem is that now everything looks like it. Everything looks so plastic, dull, calartics and unoriginal.
It's not Fortnite in itself to be a problem.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

This is true, but the problem is that now everything looks like it. Everything so plastic, dull, calartics and unoriginal.
It's not Fortnite in itself to be a problem.
Yes, I get tired of how derivative stuff can get.

BJK

I’m enjoying the Arya Stark murder simulator thus far, and I’m hoping to max out the (free) battle pass during the extra week.

Don’t know that I’ll stick with it…probably depends on how bad the f2p hooks are. If I can get premium currency by playing normally without giving my money, I’m much more likely to keep playing. I don’t enjoy the game enough to pay to play…and games that count on whales to recoup development costs don’t get my money. Too exploitive, IMO.

Top Bottom