• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Music-GAF, how do I connect keyboard to soundbar?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I am getting a new keyboard (musical instrument, Casio CTX700). I want to connect it with my LG SL6Y soundbar for better sound output. But the soundbar doesnt have an AUX 3.5mm in. It only has bluetooth, HDMI and optical in. Is there any way I can connect the keyboard to this soundbar.

My current setup is that my TV (LG C9) outputs to soudbar through optical. I have my PC also connected to the TV and sound passes from PC to TV to soundbar through the same optical (so if I could somehow output my keyboard to PC then also it will work).

Any help?

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
like you said, connect outs from CTX700 to an audio in on PC and enable it to pass thru in your audio settings

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
like you said, connect outs from CTX700 to an audio in on PC and enable it to pass thru in your audio settings

"Class-Compliant Usb-Midi", just connect it that way through your PC.

3.5mm Audio jack Bluetooth dongle connected to the keyboard.

Thank you all for your replies. So the Keyboard has an audio output jack (6.35mm) and USB midi. I have ordered both a USD midi cable and an aux cable. I will try to send audio to PC (and then from there to TV and then to the soundbar) first by AUX through PC audio-in. If that doesnt work then I will use the Midi cable. I anyway needed the midi cable to connect the keyboard to mobile (to learn through various apps etc).
One of these two should work. Thank you :)

Last edited:

QSD

"Class-Compliant Usb-Midi", just connect it that way through your PC.

If I understand correctly this won't work because no sound output passes through a midi cable. If you want to connect your keyboard's sound output to the soundbar, you will need to make an audio connection, not midi.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
BT had latency please don’t

i know you can go optical to jack.
but beware of latency AGAIN

Ionian

If I understand correctly this won't work because no sound output passes through a midi cable. If you want to connect your keyboard's sound output to the soundbar, you will need to make an audio connection, not midi.

You can through USB, MIDI is indeed just a controller. Every sound card I've had for over a decade has been USB.

Bartski

Gold Member
That depends if the keyboard transmits audio via usb (which would result in the keyboard showing up as an audio device aka "sound card" in Win under I/O list) or, as it is much more often the case, it's only usb powered + midi via usb.

I don't know Casio but I bet it's the latter. Which means it can be used as a midi controller via usb but the sound generated by the keyboard you have to wire from the physical to your PC, from where it will go to your soundbar.

I'm guessing the output is stereo so just get a cable that looks like this (TRS to stereo phone jack), plug the big end to the line output of the keyboard and the small end to the PC line-in.

qECc4xI.jpg

Then find your audio prefs in Win and enable that input to pass signal to the output - in your case ADAT or SPDiF/Toslink depending what optical connection you're using.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
That depends if the keyboard transmits audio via usb (which would result in the keyboard showing up as an audio device aka "sound card" in Win under I/O list) or, as it is much more often the case, it's only usb powered + midi via usb.

I don't know Casio but I bet it's the latter. Which means it can be used as a midi controller via usb but the sound generated by the keyboard you have to wire from the physical to your PC, from where it will go to your soundbar.

I'm guessing the output is stereo so just get a cable that looks like this (TRS to stereo phone jack), plug the big end to the line output of the keyboard and the small end to the PC line-in.

qECc4xI.jpg

Then find your audio prefs in Win and enable that input to pass signal to the output - in your case ADAT or SPDiF/Toslink depending what optical connection you're using.

Thank you so much for your reply. I am assuming TRS is just another word for 6.35mm jack? I already have a 3.5mm both ends AUX cable which works just fine as an audio input for my PC (and to soundbar from PC). I ordered a 6.35mm to 3.5mm coverter, so that should work then I reckon? Just connect the converter to the keyboard, then from there the AUX to PC as audio in and done?
I understand that all this going around would add latency as Spukc Spukc rightly pointed out, but that's the only solution I have I suppose.

Last edited:
Top Bottom