• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Music Licensing In Media - The Songs & Scenes Seared Into Our Minds And Hearts

There I was, watching the absolutely loathed Terminator Salvation when a certain scene singlehandedly redeemed the entire movie for me. Our protagonist Marcus Wright (Sam Worthington) starts the car engine to be greeted by Alice in Chain's song Rooster on the radio. The harmonious wailing as the characters stood captivated in a world falling apart around them, then the sudden realisation of guilt on Marcus' face as he realises it was his brother's song, and that his brother is dead because of him. It was a special moment of stellar acting, but also great musical licensing as the song lyrics highlight how Skynet hasn't been able to kill John Connor after all this time. To me Rooster will always be associated with this movie and that's the topic of this thread, licensed music so memorable to a specific film or television series that it's the first thing you think of. Those songs you've probably hummed to yourself as you're badly re-enacting the scene in daily life, those songs that are seared into your mind for all time.

Alice in Chains - Rooster (Terminator: Salvation)

Guidelines:
  • Submissions must be in movies or television series only.
  • Licensed music is the focus, original songs are excluded.
  • If heavily used in media, choose the version you remember.
  • A maximum of 5 entries, though nobody will listen to this.
Mine:

George Thorogood and the Destroyers - Bad to the Bone (Terminator 2: Judgement Day)

On the topic of Terminator, there isn't a song more linked to a movie than "Bad to the Bone" and Terminator 2: Judgement Day. The iconic scene where the T-800 emerges from the dive bar sporting some dude's piss-stained underwear and smoking leather outfit. The way the chorus lines up as he puts on the shades, "She can tell by the way, that I was baddd to the boneee! Baddd to the boneee".

The Cramps - Goo Goo Muck (Wednesday TV Series)

A relatively new entry and one that has taken the TikTok audience by storm. I haven't actually watched the new Wednesday series starring Jenna Ortega, but people have been raving about it and I'm guessing it's large in part due to the dance. The Cramps' psychedelic tune which sounds like acid in musical form will forever be connected to this scene.

Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah (Shrek, John Cale Version)

Shrek is my favourite animated movie and the highlight is John Cale's rendition of Hallelujah when the party go their own separate ways. In a weird way they all got what they wanted, Shrek got his solitude, Donkey got his freedom from the dragon and Fiona got her prince charming. But what they failed to realise is what they really wanted was the exact opposite, only they didn't realise it at the time.

The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again (CSI: Miami TV Series)

"I don't know, he's missing from the scene, maybe he took off.

"Or maybe...
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
he got taken for a ride."

YEAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Little Richard - Long Tall Sally (Predator)

"This stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me."

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm assuming you mean prereleased records that become tied to a IP even years after release?
The Rolling Stones - Paint it Black [Full Metal Jacket]

Kansas - Carry On Wayward Son [ SUPERNATURAL]

Last edited:
I'm assuming you mean prereleased records that become tied to a IP even years after release?
The Rolling Stones - Paint it Black [Full Metal Jacket]

Kansas - Carry On Wayward Son [ SUPERNATURAL]

I assumed that much was clear in the opening post dude. I must say, this thread hasn't received any traction whatsoever lol. NeoGAF loves their movies and music, combining them together sounded like a winning combination, though I guess it doesn't always work. Regardless, it was fun making the thread and revisiting some of these classic cinematic moments.

RAÏSanÏa

One of the most powerful combinations of music and image.

Kicks off a timeless movie.

The first time I heard Radiohead's Creep. Suits Spab well, both the public perception and his own drama.

Loki had many great songs like Dark Moon, but this one stands out as exceptionally well chosen and placed. There's an aggressive determination to it and the way it's integrated into the scene can be interpreted as Loki creating the song being the demon or, as learned later, an expression of her frustration with the TVA who she sees as the demons in he'rs and the victim's head.

Top Bottom