• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MVG: Nintendo 64 emulation on the Nintendo Switch is not good....

Chukhopops

Ironic that the official emulator struggles with fog when Retroarch does it just fine on other consoles.

I still consider subscribing once they add F-Zero X just for mobile play but please put more effort into it Nintendo.

Edder1

Nintendo is not better than EA, Ubisoft or Activision when it comes to greed, they just make quality products like Apple do that people will sheep over.

Last edited:

stranno

There are certainly problems and the emulations feels a bit lazy. But, to be fair, they have provided a decent emulation of frame buffer effects, which are certainly not trivial.

And they have delivered a correct version of Winback. The "gray square of the death" has been in N64 emulators for around 20 years (twenty years!), until the LLE RDP plugins, like the Angrylion showcased in that video.

pS8P16p.png

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The narrative about Nintendo fans buying everything and asking for an extra whuppin’ for good measure is running stale, boys and girls.
We have day-one analysis from multiple sources on everything that comes out. There’s problems with the N64 games on NSO, no denyin’ it. A lot of people will wait and see. Do you seriously think there’s that many people willing to upgrade their NSO, at that price, to play Genesis and N64 games? Most of those interested in those games likely have several machines to emulate them better, and have had those for a while.

I’d love to see an alternate world where Nintendo actually put individual games for sale. Something tells me that some of the most vocal people in these threads (BTW, it’s the third thread about this if I haven’t missed anything) would be like “fuck it, I must have OoT for the 15th time even if it runs like ass” :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

I’m gonna wait and see. Not like I have time to play N64 games right now anyway.

LordCBH

Wouldn’t be nintendo without them price gouging their customers while also presenting an underbaked half assed product.

Robb

Gold Member
The “virtual console” on Switch is just awful in general imo. I hope they scrap it for the next system and makes something worthwhile.

nkarafo

There are certainly problems and the emulations feels a bit lazy. But, to be fair, they have provided a decent emulation of frame buffer effects, which are certainly not trivial.

And they have delivered a correct version of Winback. The "gray square of the death" has been in N64 emulators for around 20 years (twenty years!), until the LLE RDP plugins, like the Angrylion showcased in that video.

pS8P16p.png
The gray square was fixed in GlideN64 HLE many years ago. I remember playing this game without issues on my Pentium 4 build and that system could not handle Angrylion.

N64 emulation is pretty average.
Only if you are playing on a phone or crappy Pi device. Otherwise, emulation has been very good for a long time now if you use a proper system.

But hey, even on a Pi it's still better than what you get on Switch 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The reason they don't bring back their old games is seemingly because they aren't very good at it. The 3-point filtering failure is the worst to me.
Considering people have addressed it already in emulators and even higher level engines like KEX for DOOM64 Remastered. Very lazy for an emulator to fail at that and use standard bilinear.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The gray square was fixed in GlideN64 HLE many years ago. I remember playing this game without issues on my Pentium 4 build and that system could not handle Angrylion.

Only if you are playing on a phone or crappy Pi device. Otherwise, emulation has been very good for a long time now if you use a proper system.

But hey, even on a Pi it's still better than what you get on Switch 🤷‍♂️

Is it though? Last time I tried it on my RPi3 only a handful of games ran well, most had severe issues with performance, sound dropouts, etc.

Last edited:

crozier

Are the performance issues the result of subpar hardware? That would be a shame if the latency wasn’t fixable.

nkarafo

Is it though? Last time I tried it on my RPi3 only a handful of games ran well, most had severe issues with performance, sound dropouts, etc.
RPi3 is a bit old and crap. Maybe RPi4? Dunno, it's been a while since i ever tried that thing for emulation. But i do remember emulating Mario 64 and Waverace without issues, despite being the bottom of the barrel device for emulation.

Are the performance issues the result of subpar hardware? That would be a shame if the latency wasn’t fixable.
The Switch isn't powerful enough for LLE Parallel RDP level of emulation but it's more than powerful enough to handle mature HLE emulation at the same level as current GlideN64 with all bells and whistles. Even the original Wii was just about good enough, i don't see why the Switch would have such issues.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
As long as they're looked at as "the good guys" they'll get away with whatever shit they throw at the consumer. Speaking of consumer and pundits I mean this:

1572188708891.jpg

Sadly, those are controlling the gaming media.
How dare you include Hello Games with those other cunts. To their defence they have repented by patching NMS to what people originally expected it to be.

However, the likes of Tim Gettys hasn't patched out being a cunt yet.

Umbasaborne

Banned
As long as they're looked at as "the good guys" they'll get away with whatever shit they throw at the consumer. Speaking of consumer and pundits I mean this:

1572188708891.jpg

Sadly, those are controlling the gaming media.
“Please give me free stuff nintendo! I sold myself out a long time ago!”

Top Bottom